The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from spanks :sighh...

Ha! sounds like you had fun

I started 16th I made up 5 or so positions in the First turn. After that I was just making decent laps and gaining and passing people. Shaun Cole *cough* *cough* Not the best person to be driving with... Just ask Andy!

I made it to 4th place. I had, been stuck behind the guy in 3rd for like 10 laps. So I made a move going into turn 2. I was Even with him going around the curve at the top of the hill and turned in to Turn 2 and made it by him. He made some ground on me around T3 But I was still ahead. Then into turn 4 I was on the right side still and we got together. He had no place being there. He wrecked us both out and I ended up finishing 7th after losing to 6th place with a damaged car on the last turn of the race. Super pissed at that.

What pissed my off even more is that I couldn't get a pass on that guy. I had to really force a tough pass on him. I could have had first place that race if not for him. I was gaining big time on the leaders they were directly ahead of us when I made the pass on him.

Also I had 2 1x's for the entire race before that. I think I had 14 incidents for the finish.
Heh, I had a lot of time that I set aside for that race...needed something to do. I used to do a writeup like that for the first few races I did on iracing, I was feeling nostalgic.

It is a way hard track to pass at. I think the best place to get a run is through the sweeper because most people take it wrong. You've really gotta monster that curb on the inside and a lot of people miss it. You have to hit it at the right angle though or you lose a lot of time.

Also, you want to be on the right side going into the chicane because you have the line unquestionably on the exit of the chicane, and all the way for the rest of the lap if you're still side by side somehow lol
I'm so stoked they decided to keep the grids at a decent size! 14 Jetta cars would've been like watching paint dry, but 24 makes for a fun grid. I hope the popularity of the series will be good enough for there to be regular splits with large grids, it should be with what's at stake!
Quote from Jertje :I'm so stoked they decided to keep the grids at a decent size!

yeah.... totally! Makes a massive difference, especially as this series should be close racing. My SR took a massive hit in the first race. I was punted off at turn two by a very over zealous ISR presenter

Still a lot of fun despite the car being wrecked. The Jetta is a real feel car
Quote from StableX :yeah.... totally! Makes a massive difference, especially as this series should be close racing. My SR took a massive hit in the first race. I was punted off at turn two by a very over zealous ISR presenter

Still a lot of fun despite the car being wrecked. The Jetta is a real feel car

I'm sure he reads these forums ;D
Quote from Jertje :I'm sure he reads these forums ;D

good.... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.......
Jertje (I've always mispelled your name on here, I apologize) what video editing software did you use for your tutorial you did? That was really well done! I'm not sure if I'm going to go all out like you did with that video, but it would be nice to be able to put HD videos on youtube again with some minor editing...Windows 7 movie maker does not output big resolution.

I've started up a road racing school over on the forums..I've finally started to get some interest and it seems like it might take off.

So far today I've done about an hour of practice with the Riley at sebring, an hour of the mazda at infineon irl, and I've written about 2500 words of stuff about it all lol. I type fast and am full of bullshit, watch out

This is exciting though. I've wanted to do this for a while. It will keep me interested in trying new combos and a reason to get fast. Often times I will just hop in an open practice that I find interesting and dick around until I get bored.

I am going to shoot for top 100 for the jetta series however...so that may get in the way. With my low irating I don't have a chance of staying in the high SoF races, and I'm a couple tenths slower than the fastest guys anyways. I put in more practice for Road Atlanta than I have for anything else in this sim and I just couldn't quite squeek out anything better. I had the splits for a 7.00, and frequently ran splits for a .15, just never on the same lap
spanks, one thing i've found helps is once you know you can do the sectors, trun off the HUD

you know you can do the times so just relax and stop chasing them, nothing more likely to cause a mistake than knowing that you're first 2 sectors were on the money and "all you have to do" is hit your optimals for the next 2
Quote from tinvek :spanks, one thing i've found helps is once you know you can do the sectors, trun off the HUD

you know you can do the times so just relax and stop chasing them, nothing more likely to cause a mistake than knowing that you're first 2 sectors were on the money and "all you have to do" is hit your optimals for the next 2

Haha very good advice. I must admit I am addicted to the real time readout.
Quote from tinvek :spanks, one thing i've found helps is once you know you can do the sectors, trun off the HUD

I had a similar lesson in real life on my race bike. It was just after lunch at a trackday and I'd been pushing hard all morning, and this was the second day that weekend, so I was a bit worn out. My best lap in the final session of the morning was a 1:05.96, and I knew I could do better.

So there I was railing around the first, twisty section of the track, feeling like I was absolutely nailing ever apex with lots of cornerspeed, getting good exits and braking hard and late. As I came over the crest onto the flat out section, I was leaned over pretty far and tiredly gave the throttle a solid twist, going for that good drive onto the straight.

Next thing I knew, the bike was sliding sideways and I crashed. I got up, dusted myself off, and looked at the lap timer mounted on the tail. My previous lap was a 1:05.90. I was well on my way to going quicker, but I paid the price for seeking the limit and obsessing over lap times, even though I couldn't see my times while riding.
whilst we are on the subject of lap times, any of you lot quick in the spec racer?
I just set my new PB @ Laguna 1.41.5 .

edit: just had a race with pro driver Jeff Bye Jr & i wasn't that much slower than him, a bit more practice & i'll be mixing it with the pro's.
saw that a few minutes ago, so looking forward to the cars and that circuit

wonder how the licences will run for it? road or oval or possibly mix of both? i'd assume road A since they left a gap above the lotus for an openwheel A class car
Yeah the real life series is 50/50 so its hard to say where they'll put it in iRacing, my guess would be road though.
the Indy was always going to be coming since they started to sponsor the indycar website.....

really good to hear it's on its way for Autumn though. Maybe it'll get here at te end of this season with the Corvette
this should open up iracing to a whole new area of US racing fans which has got to be good news, going to be very busy with new cars and tracks between now and january
Finally they add what we knew was all coming...

Now when I go to an Indy Car race I don't have to try and set a fast time in a TurdFactor simulator, it'll be iRacing FTW!
Quote from PMD9409 :Finally they add what we knew was all coming...

Now when I go to an Indy Car race I don't have to try and set a fast time in a TurdFactor simulator, it'll be iRacing FTW!

I think we'll have to wait a long time for some of the tracks like the airfield tracks....
Quote from anttt69 :whilst we are on the subject of lap times, any of you lot quick in the spec racer?
I just set my new PB @ Laguna 1.41.5 .

edit: just had a race with pro driver Jeff Bye Jr & i wasn't that much slower than him, a bit more practice & i'll be mixing it with the pro's.

damn, i just hate you!!!!

lol

ive just completed my first month on Iracing, and that car/track combo is awesome. low 1.44's is my best atm.

and its a case of thanks LFS, but bye bye!
Quote from mr grady :

never say that mate, despite hardly ever using LFS since iracing came out, i would never say bye bye to it.

its a good solid sim with good car physics and the racing can be just as good if not better than iracing if you're in the right server
Quote from mr grady :

I thought that also, but have found myself hovering between both of them, mainly waiting for the next instalment of LFS.

I will say that you will find yourself improving your time and racing when you go back to LFS though, sure as hell found my racecraft improving.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :I thought that also, but have found myself hovering between both of them, mainly waiting for the next instalment of LFS.

I will say that you will find yourself improving your time and racing when you go back to LFS though, sure as hell found my racecraft improving.

Same thing happened with me and count.bazley; really did make LFS racing more interesting and made us slightly more competitive.

But until I work out how much money I'll be spending on necessities at uni this year, I can't possibly consider buying more iRacing time.
Sorry to sound like a nub but does the race week end tonight (sunday)?
Last i heard it was Tuesday swap over.
It's on tuesday.
Quote from anttt69 :Sorry to sound like a nub but does the race week end tonight (sunday)?
Last i heard it was Tuesday swap over.

for us Brits, last race is 10pm and then you get to race the next track at 1am..... prac and quali follow that...
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG