The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from PMD9409 :What LFS ones?

Oi I think NDR are entitled to a decent break, especially if I'm trying to do a new website.
Don't you be no Steve Myers!

"We know the World Cup failed miserably, but don't worry, the new build is coming out!"

BTW: Tell Thilo to check his PM's dangit!
Quote from dekojester :A web forum is a private entity - just because it's "The Internets" doesn't give you the full rights of say, a public forum / town hall meeting type thing. The forum owners set the rules and you abide by them They can do whatever they want as long as it's not illegal (such as encouraging murder, organizing bank fraud, and similar)

I suppose I ought to give iRacing another go now that I have some spare time. Maybe I'll start organizing leagues in iRacing like I do in LFS

It's capitalism what the USA lives and breathes on.
Quote from Jshort :
Quote from carfetish :This NTM is going to let iRacing go viral http://www.nogripracing.com/fo ... =1527127&postcount=48

Now LFS and nkPro have a lot of work to do, physics-wise. (rF2, on the other hand, seems never having even made a serious effort in tire modeling).

I still think iracings new tire model is behind rF2 and netkar in "feel". I'm having fun with the daytona prototype though.

This is from Luke McLean, #5 in the 2011 World Championship:

Quote from Luke McLean :This build is exactly what I have been pushing for on the forums for a couple of years. Focusing on what we have, and iRacing have had a mega breakthrough, and to be honest have buried every other sim with this patch.

Quote from carfetish :This is from Luke McLean, #5 in the 2011 World Championship:

Because Jshort isn't in the DWC means his opinion is invalid? I agree with him, this build is probably the best build I've seen iRacing put out, but it still doesn't feel as good at netkar.
Quote from DeKo :Because Jshort isn't in the DWC means his opinion is invalid? I agree with him, this build is probably the best build I've seen iRacing put out, but it still doesn't feel as good at netkar.

Gotta agree with that, there's not the "slide to go fast" feature anymore, but still something's missing. Also i gotta feeling, that tyres still lose grip after few laps (not heating up).
Quote from PMD9409 :Don't you be no Steve Myers!

"We know the World Cup failed miserably, but don't worry, the new build is coming out!"

That comment pissed me and many club England members off more than the actual cockup that was the world cup finals.

"We cocked up and are going to ignore it from here on. Oh look a squirrel!"
Damn it, I missed the World Cup disaster, what actually happened?
no idea but apparently it all went wrong for england, never heard that about a world cup before

and before you say it yes i know we don't even get there
Quote from tinvek :no idea but apparently it all went wrong for england, never heard that about a world cup before

and before you say it yes i know we don't even get there

haha nice.

I think we'd have still struggled to beat the germans even with out the iRacing cock ups.

Long story short they didn't double check their config files again, just like they don't seem to double check anything or have any sort of QA processes, which meant only 5 from each team were allowed into the finals instead of 9.

There is no way I'd have been racing had we known it was 5 and not 9!

It seems to me the only thing iRacing are really good at and put any real effort into is bigging themselves up. Everything else is just poorly thought out and badly executed.

*Edit

Perfect example. Currently on the member page

** Forums will be down for a short maintenance before soon **

This is a professional organisation that gets paid a monthly subscription for providing a service and they can't even read their own text before hitting submit.
Quote from tinvek :no idea but apparently it all went wrong for england, never heard that about a world cup before

maybe Ben over cooked his lag switch weren't there some reports of hacking?
The whole run-offs or semi-finals had a host of glitches which rejected people from joining the server and knocked many regions out before it even started. The whole thing was a joke tbh.

@Ant: You are thinking of the new superspeedway drafting. The glitch isn't new, as it has been there for a very long time. In the pits the cars can drive through each other, yet when you drive out on track, your cars are still in each other. So essentially when on track you have unlimited draft for an unlimited amount of time. I haven't tested to see if your car starts running hot like bumpdrafting does now, but if you are allowed to go inside the car as if it doesn't exist, would it create the heat as if it did exist?

Just a huge cock up and they should just use solid cars all the time.
Quote from PMD9409 :

Just a huge cock up and they should just use solid cars all the time.

Would be a nightmare in the pits though!
It's a nightmare in real life too, but IMO that should be the point of a simulation. The outside curb of T3 at Road Atlanta is a nightmare, yet they didn't bother smoothening it out.
Quote from PMD9409 :It's a nightmare in real life too, but IMO that should be the point of a simulation. The outside curb of T3 at Road Atlanta is a nightmare, yet they didn't bother smoothening it out.

Very valid point indeed.
Turn 1 at mid ohio with the skip barber proves that that thing is a piece of crap.
i'm beginning to settle down with the latest cars to get the ntm, i've got the DP balance back to how i liked the old one (i've always preferered a "non drift" setup with it on the OTM) and after some messing about the skippy now feels very nice, steady grip that lets me carry speed but controllable if it slides in slow and fast bends
Yea, all they need to do now is model grass properly...
Quote from Jshort :Turn 1 at mid ohio with the skip barber proves that that thing is a piece of crap.

In what way?

The Skippy, (a car i slagged off completely not that many posts ago with last seasons tyres) Is far, far nicer to drive now. It's back to being the fun car it always used to be.

Overall i'm very pleased with the progress in this build. C6R,DP,Ford GT, Williams and Skippy are all very good now. The Radical still needs a bit of work, but should be great next season i would think.

The NTM still doesn't feel as natural and instinctive to drive as netKar, but it has taken a massive step forward this build. I had just about given up on iRacing, but this build has brought me right back into it.
Quote from The Moose :In what way?

The Skippy, (a car i slagged off completely not that many posts ago with last seasons tyres) Is far, far nicer to drive now. It's back to being the fun car it always used to be.

Overall i'm very pleased with the progress in this build. C6R,DP,Ford GT, Williams and Skippy are all very good now. The Radical still needs a bit of work, but should be great next season i would think.

The NTM still doesn't feel as natural and instinctive to drive as netKar, but it has taken a massive step forward this build. I had just about given up on iRacing, but this build has brought me right back into it.

First off I'm not fast, actually not even close to being fast

Well going into turn one if I coast I lose the rear end, if I trail brake I still lose the rear end. I would think that a "training" car you should be able to coast into a turn like that?
Just got an email offering me 3 months for 9$ if i return, hmm tempted
maybe I just suck really bad though.
Quote from Jshort : I would think that a "training" car you should be able to coast into a turn like that?

I'm no expert, but the words "training car" rarely translates into "easy to drive" from what i can gather.

The Formula Ford (beginners car) in netKar was also the trickiest to drive.

It not the fact that your coasting, it's the approach to the coasting phase of the turn that will determine if you loose the rear end or not. How you brake, and more importantly how you come off the brake is absolutely crucial. Both the skippy and the FF1600 require very smooth transitions to keep things stable. I think that is what the so called training cars try and teach you..smoothness.

I hope someone that has driven these sorts of cars will confirm if that's the truth of the matter or not.
I haven't been paying attention to how I've been coming off the brake to be honest. I will try to be more conscious of that. Thanks and thanks for not flaming. I'd get hammered over at iracing for questioning their physics over there.
Quote from Jshort : I'd get hammered over at iracing for questioning their physics over there.

No doubt in my mind that there is something weird about iRacings physics. I doubt the real life Skippy is quite as prone to strange oversteer as it is in the sim, but a smooth driving style will certainly help eliminate a lot of it.

When i say it's back to being the fun car it used to be i'm not claiming it's "right" But it is a lot more manageable with plenty of practice and a good amount of focus on smoothness, especially coming off the brakes. Just braking hard and coming off them quickly transfers all the weight to the front and will inevitably result in the rear end letting go.

Just focus on smooth downshifts, and smooth release of the brakes. If you're left foot braking keep a small amount of throttle on (roughly 10% at a guess)

Once you've got the smoothness sorted you can concentrate on doing it all quicker.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG