The online racing simulator
The lamb on the left laughed.
Quote from SamH :Here are a couple of sisters.. if anyone wants their number, PM me

FLOSSY!
Quote from STROBE :#4

A700, Tamron 90mm, 1/200, f/4

You didn't post near enough shots.....

I love this one. That would look great printed out and framed on the kitchen wall.

Great shots for all of them.
Quote from Speedy Pro :Sunsets with Golden Gate/SF in the background (I need a tele-zoom!)

Certainly not about the needing a telephoto. That shot is fantastic just as it is. Very nice shots in the post here.

Man, these latest batches of photos popping in here makes me wish I could waste the fuel to roam around to shoot more then just the kids playing in the back yard as I've been doing lately.

I may have to head into town to the railyard and wind my way back home tomorrow evening after the sun is ready to go down. Maybe I'll go on a photo shoot with my 7 year old. I'd like to get her using her camera a bit more and teach her a bit about camera settings.
Quote from mrodgers :Certainly not about the needing a telephoto. That shot is fantastic just as it is. Very nice shots in the post here.

Man, these latest batches of photos popping in here makes me wish I could waste the fuel to roam around to shoot more then just the kids playing in the back yard as I've been doing lately.

I may have to head into town to the railyard and wind my way back home tomorrow evening after the sun is ready to go down. Maybe I'll go on a photo shoot with my 7 year old. I'd like to get her using her camera a bit more and teach her a bit about camera settings.

Thanks, Mike! That one is one of my favorite photos (that I took), but having a telephoto could capture more detail of the bridge

As to wasting the fuel, it really depends on where you live, but I personally prefer to simply go for a walk around town with camera in hand. You never know what you'll spot, so it's a bit of an adventure every time. The aesthetics of seemingly everyday/familiar objects can be striking. Just need to get the angle and lighting right

My friend on an deserted attic of an old building. Natural light from one small window, no reflectors. It turned out quite good along with a couple of others from the same scene.
Stunning, Spanky! Fantastic shot!
Quote from Speedy Pro :As to wasting the fuel, it really depends on where you live, but I personally prefer to simply go for a walk around town with camera in hand.

Yeah, I thought of that just after I posted. So, I started to walk to town last night about midnight. It's now noon the following day, I'm almost to town, hehehe

Seriously, thanks for all the recent photos posted. I wanted to get to bed early last night and you guys had me up an hour past when I normally go to bed sorting through my photos. I generally take them, download them, and by the time I start looking at them, I'm heading to bed. So, here's a few that had no or very little other than some preset processing done. I have a few ready for inspection on cropping and deciding what to do with them later as well....

Fuji S5700

Of course, the reqired sun shot that pops into the camera now and then....

This is actually quite an old shot from 5 years ago shot with a Fuji 2 mp FinePix 2650.

I have 8 apple trees in the back yard. So I have a lot of these....

Tree in the neighbor's yard. It was the last one looked at last night. I like them a bit more than the standard B&W conversion, but I think this one is a bit too dark. The original photo was a bit underexposed as well....

And the final one over on the other side of my house in the field....

I was going to take the camera with me to work for the ride home, but I'm wanting some dusk through night shots of some industry between me and town. I'm going to try to take a ride later tonight.
The 4th shot of the tree is super nice. The mood is just right and that bit of noise gives it a vintage feel.

The last tree shot is nice too, but I'd crop out most of the black stuff on the bottom.

Great capture of apple buds as well.

Looks like you live in a rural area. So did you build a go-kart track yet?
Quote from Speedy Pro :Looks like you live in a rural area. So did you build a go-kart track yet?

Haha, I wish. Unfortunately, the property behind me.......

bad panorama stitch...
My House <-----

......is not mine. I only have a mere 1.6 acres, which is covered with apple, peach, cherry, plum, and pear trees. I do fly RC in the field pictured above, at least I did before the final fatal nose dive...
I did a panorama the other day. I was really surprised how well Photoshop dealt with it. There was some dust on the sensor, and I'm embarassed about how I dealt with it in this image. The photo's too big to attach, and too wide to stick inline.. so it's here. I'll pick a nicer day, next time, and shoot with the sun behind me.
Here ya go. I want to be racing, but I loaded up photos instead.

Playing with a little instruction in this month's Popular Photography with this photo. The fact that it is all along the wood's treeline kind of makes it a bit busy, IMO.

Lovely panorama Sam - is that kind of scenery what you live amongst? I've never mastered panoramas myself - only really tried a couple of times but they never seen to join up properly.

@ mrodgers - nice PP. I don't think the "busyness" of the line of trees is too bad, although maybe shallower DoF would have been more complementary to the image, with the focus on the tractor.
Quote from STROBE :is that kind of scenery what you live amongst?

Aye, sir, it is I'm very well-blessed living here. I'm less than an hour from the edge of the Lake District, minutes from James Herriot country, in the heart of Brontë country and on top of the Pennines. Frankly, if I couldn't get a decent photo around here, I'd have to REALLY suck at photography
Lucky you. For contrast, here's a shot out of my living room window.
Attached images
DSC01026.JPG
Wow Sam, I didn't see the link last night when I was here. Stunning!

Look at all those stone walls! I'm coming to visit so I can swipe some of them to build my patio in the back of the house Where I'm at, that's probably billions of $$$$ worth of stone!

Strobe, lovely scenery out of the window you have there, hehe.

As for the DOF, I don't get shallow DOF, just a superzoom with max of f/3.5. I have to be very specific on how I set a shot up for shalow DOF. Main problem is, when I do want shallow DOF (tree flowers, birds in the tree, etc) I need to go with my narrowest aperture if I have any bit of sky in the shot or I get some really bad purple fringing.

I have more photos to sort through, but game 4 of the Stanley Cup is tonight. So, that means no messing around with the computer. MUST watch hockey! I've been waiting 17 years for Pittsburgh to get back to the final series in the NHL Stanley Cup. Mario and Jagr gave us 2 in '91 and '92, now Sidney and Malkin must give us 2 in 2008 and 2009

HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY!!!!!

Get in the Cordoba baby, we're going bowling!!!
Mike, there are literally thousands of miles of dry stone walls around me, here.. of varying ages, some of them very old indeed. I love them.. most people roll their eyes when I show them my collection of photos of them
Attached images
DSC_0423.jpg
Quote from OneCrazyDiamond :Added some night shots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/combus-t/

Criticism welcome.

The one of the water on the window, or glass, is great. That would make a great desktop background.

Yeah, Sam, I'm extremely jealous of those walls. No eye rolling here. I am planning a patio off the back porch where I have a very slight slope. I could use timber to border it, but I'd love to use stone. It would just be too expensive to buy them, or too difficult and time consuming to hunt for them out and about. My brother-in-law I think has a bunch of barnstone, but everyone in the family traded their pickup trucks in on family oriented small Crossover SUV vehicles all within a few weeks time a while back.

It really stinks now when you want to buy something rather large. We always had someone who could haul it. Now, no one can.
Quote from SamH :Mike, there are literally thousands of miles of dry stone walls around me, here.. of varying ages, some of them very old indeed. I love them.. most people roll their eyes when I show them my collection of photos of them

Bill Oddie approves.
#472 - Don
Great stuff, Don!
Here is what my camera can do:

My camera is a Casio EX-Z1050 Exilim camera

Pictures in Order:
1. A written-on inside of a desk
2. Volvo C305 Laplander compared to a Buick and a Toyota Tercel.
3. A sparrow in a restaurant downtown
4. Picture of a flower in Brazil when I was away for the Christmas holidays
5. Studio picture of my camera, found on Google
Attached images
CIMG1313-resize.jpg
CIMG1299-resize.jpg
CIMG1101-crop.jpg
CIMG0166-resize.jpg
01425sz1i15607300.jpg
Mike, I built my rockery in Chicago out of field stones I stole from the edges of fields in Wisconsin. The farmers up there seemed more than happy to see the back of them, since all they ever did was damage their farming equipment. We loaded up the back of my Montero a few times and hauled the stones back home. It was surprising how LITTLE stone you could get in the back of a big Mitsubishi 4x4 before the steering began to get a bit light

Jay, you know of Bill Oddie?? As in the ornithologist, former Goodie?? Do they show his stuff on WTTW or something? You're in Aurora, aren't you?

Don, your photos are spectacular, as always! Great shots! I love the candid ones you get of people watching the rallies. They really tell great stories, all of them

Here's a question for everyone.. if I take a photo, I feel okay about adjusting the saturation, exposure, contrast, brightness, white balance etc. I even feel okay about sharpening up the images, when I'm resampling down, just to prod up/maintain the impact of a photo.. but there often comes a point when I'm touching up, where I feel like I've begun to cheat.. where it's no longer the photo that I took, and it's become a photoshop production and no longer anything relating to the thing I achieved with the camera itself.

Since we're all in the digital age, now, and we're not only responsible for taking the photo these days, but also for what happens in the darkroom.. my question is, how far do you go before you feel like you're cheating? How far do YOU go before you start backtracking/hitting undo? Do you use NeatImage to get rid of grain? Do you add vignettes, or burn areas of your image? What's the limit of acceptability before you've broken the thing you've made?

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG