The online racing simulator
hehe.. and in the same spirit, here are mine of mine. One resampled to 33%, one cropped from 100%.

All my lenses are fabulously sharp, provided I take care to focus them!
Attached images
DSC_0118.jpg
temp.jpg
Hehe, well, maybe it's not so special to have such details in eye reflections then. Nice shots though guys. Especially that portrait of your dog Sam - it's lovely. And I'm not a pet person either!

(Are you sure the white balance is correct, though? Looks a bit orangey).

Unfortunately the next purchase for me isn't going to improve my image quality particularly, but I want a vertical grip. Mainly for the reasons of improved portrait controls, better stability, and the extra bulk gives me more of a "pro" look.

The latter of which sounds silly but is handy for getting extra attention & photo opps when I do stuff for my local gym. Which just happens to be full of rediculously fit blondes. Oh well.

Really need a high quality general zoom though. What I really want is my crappy kit lens 18-70 to be made as a constant but sharp f/2.8, even though it would probably cost the best part of a grand.
Yeah eyes are very smooth and reflective
Yeah, it is a bit orangey. I actually warmed up the pic a little. The white balance originally looked very cold indeed, and just didn't fit with the subject. That said, the background itself is also a bit orangey.. you can see here: http://ukct.net/dlfiles/uploads/SamStuff/DSC_0090.jpg it's the duvet that makes up the background in the first pic.

A vertical grip is a must, for sure. I've been well blessed, both the F4s and the D1x come with vertical grip/release, and it does make a colossal difference to your psyche.. you automatically rotate the camera (even though I didn't in the first pic, I know! ) when composing a shot, if it suits.. no contortion necessary.

You obviously have a lot more confidence than I do.. I can't take people photos, even though I would love to. I'm far too self-conscious.. and I can't bear the thought of people thinking I'm just a belts, buckles and gadgets freak - or a paparazzi-wannabe, perhaps. I've known too many oddball photographers over the years that exude something of a sleazy air, too. Some really strange middle-aged blokes. God forbid anyone regard me like that! LOL!

Instead, I pursue my other passion most of the time, and hunt out landscapes and architecture. I have a fascination for old buildings that are being gradually reclaimed by nature - I think that developed while reading Ted Hughes poetry, years ago. I drove thousands of miles around the midwest, from Ohio to Iowa, Wisconsin to Missouri, looking for old barns and rusting farm machinery to photograph. The Yorkshire Dales and Cumbria are good locations for that, too
Quote from SamH :A vertical grip is a must, for sure. I've been well blessed, both the F4s and the D1x come with vertical grip/release, and it does make a colossal difference to your psyche..

Yeah, the D1X is a handy shape... I prefer my grips to be removeable though...

Quote from SamH :You obviously have a lot more confidence than I do.. I can't take people photos, even though I would love to. I'm far too self-conscious.. and I can't bear the thought of people thinking I'm just a belts, buckles and gadgets freak - or a paparazzi-wannabe, perhaps. I've known too many oddball photographers over the years that exude something of a sleazy air, too. Some really strange middle-aged blokes. God forbid anyone regard me like that! LOL!

There's a post on the previous page where I originally posted some pics from a fashion show that I shot, but then removed them as I wasn't sure where I stood with permission to reproduce people's images for non-journalistic/newsworthy purposes (none of them had signed any contract or model release). Nonetheless, I was in front of a crowd at a charity fashion show at my gym, shooting the models. I was desparately challenged by my equipment (my Sony A100 is not designed for shooting moving models with flash in dim light - it's the absolute worst thing you could use it for) and spent more time winding the exposure compensation up and down whilst desparately hunting for focus than actually shooting, and I was up against a pro with a full-frame Canon 5D and 28-300 IS USM, but just got stuck into it. It sounds silly but I probably wouldn't have the balls to stand in front of a crowd and bunch of models normally, were it not for the camera and flashgun. In the end, the images were good enought to sell, simply because I forgot about where I was (and thus any self-consciousness) and immersed myself in the view through the camera.

Nonetheless, the pro with the 5D wanted to go and shoot in the changing rooms.... hmm, I figured I'd just stick to the "catwalk". Another guy there that couldn't stay to shoot the event due to him being double booked with a beauty pageant came across as a complete perv. My experience so far is that being genuinely modest and innocent in your intentions can get you some genuinely beautiful shots in such situations.

Quote from SamH :Instead, I pursue my other passion most of the time, and hunt out landscapes and architecture. I have a fascination for old buildings that are being gradually reclaimed by nature - I think that developed while reading Ted Hughes poetry, years ago. I drove thousands of miles around the midwest, from Ohio to Iowa, Wisconsin to Missouri, looking for old barns and rusting farm machinery to photograph. The Yorkshire Dales and Cumbria are good locations for that, too

I like landscape and architecture too, but what really intrigues me is urban stuff. Urban decay, waste, dereliction and subsequent vandalisation makes for such interesting photojournals that I've wasted hundreds of hours reading such sites by those who have the balls to go and do such stuff. Needless to say there is little chance of me taking my gear into some areas of my locality without some kind of safety in numbers, or an ASP baton...
Quote from STROBE :There's a post on the previous page where I originally posted some pics from a fashion show that I shot, but then removed them as I wasn't sure where I stood with permission to reproduce people's images for non-journalistic/newsworthy purposes (none of them had signed any contract or model release).

It is my understanding from photo forums that in general (talking global generalization as laws are different all over...) they are your pictures, you have the rights to use the photos any way you wish unless you've signed the rights over to someone. You have the right to post and use the photos and even sell them. You just can't use them commercially where it could be looked at as the models endorsing a product.

Model releases are needed for usage in a commercial product endorsement.

Oh, and here's one of my recent shots since this little guy is moving into one of my bird "hotels"....

Quote from mrodgers :It is my understanding from photo forums that in general (talking global generalization as laws are different all over...) they are your pictures, you have the rights to use the photos any way you wish unless you've signed the rights over to someone. You have the right to post and use the photos and even sell them. You just can't use them commercially where it could be looked at as the models endorsing a product.

Model releases are needed for usage in a commercial product endorsement.

Oh, and here's one of my recent shots since this little guy is moving into one of my bird "hotels"....

In Canada the law is almost the same. The Photographer owns the image outright until some one pays him or her directly for it.
Commercial use is the same though.

On a side note, about your signiture? You stole our national sport Whats next our oil?
Lovely shot, Mike!
Quote from STROBE :Yeah, the D1X is a handy shape... I prefer my grips to be removeable though...

There's a post on the previous page where I originally posted some pics from a fashion show that I shot, but then removed them as I wasn't sure where I stood with permission to reproduce people's images for non-journalistic/newsworthy purposes (none of them had signed any contract or model release). Nonetheless, I was in front of a crowd at a charity fashion show at my gym, shooting the models. I was desparately challenged by my equipment (my Sony A100 is not designed for shooting moving models with flash in dim light - it's the absolute worst thing you could use it for) and spent more time winding the exposure compensation up and down whilst desparately hunting for focus than actually shooting, and I was up against a pro with a full-frame Canon 5D and 28-300 IS USM, but just got stuck into it. It sounds silly but I probably wouldn't have the balls to stand in front of a crowd and bunch of models normally, were it not for the camera and flashgun. In the end, the images were good enought to sell, simply because I forgot about where I was (and thus any self-consciousness) and immersed myself in the view through the camera.

Nonetheless, the pro with the 5D wanted to go and shoot in the changing rooms.... hmm, I figured I'd just stick to the "catwalk". Another guy there that couldn't stay to shoot the event due to him being double booked with a beauty pageant came across as a complete perv. My experience so far is that being genuinely modest and innocent in your intentions can get you some genuinely beautiful shots in such situations.

I like landscape and architecture too, but what really intrigues me is urban stuff. Urban decay, waste, dereliction and subsequent vandalisation makes for such interesting photojournals that I've wasted hundreds of hours reading such sites by those who have the balls to go and do such stuff. Needless to say there is little chance of me taking my gear into some areas of my locality without some kind of safety in numbers, or an ASP baton...

I have found the same thing with people. Some photographers come off the wrong way because we can sense the pervishness.
I think 99% of the time we are right in our assumption too!

I find the best way to make people comfortable with me taking pics is to make it abundantly clear that I am taking pictures of everyone, not just the good looking ones:-) I also make myself very visable ie: instead of taking a pic from way back with a zoom, I'll move closer so I don't look like a stalker.
Then when I need to shot some candids no one is aware because they are starting to ignore the geek with the camera
And yes I have admitted to myself that being a photographer just dosen't look cool to most people I don't think my wife is impressed with my big lens anymore
Quote from SamH :A vertical grip is a must, for sure. I've been well blessed, both the F4s and the D1x come with vertical grip/release, and it does make a colossal difference to your psyche.. you automatically rotate the camera (even though I didn't in the first pic, I know! ) when composing a shot, if it suits.. no contortion necessary.

You're absolutely right. Bought a battery grip this weekend while I was in London, got back and found half my photos are potrait orientation without me even realising it. So much more comfortable to hold the camera, more steady and balances a longer lens well too. Now I just know that when I remove it because I want to travel light, the camera will feel all wrong.

Will get some London and Chelsea Flower Show pics posted by the weekend hopefully.
Can't wait to see them.. your photos are invariably great to see!

The F4s's vertical grip (MB21) is removable (turning it into a straight F4) but even though the camera was smaller and lighter when the grip was removed, it didn't feel right.. that extra shutter release button is right where I need it, and yes - the camera feels more balanced with the extra weight, when it's wearing a longer lens!

PS: @ Renku, great shots! Keep 'em coming!
I invested in a Battery Grip at the weekend, the BG-E3 for the Canon 350D and 400D. Its a brilliant bit of kit, makes the camera feel so much better and its far easier to hold now. Few of my latest shots:

[/envy]
Yeah I've got the grip for my XTi too. Its too small for my hands otherwise.
Quote from mcintyrej :I invested in a Battery Grip at the weekend, the BG-E3 for the Canon 350D and 400D. Its a brilliant bit of kit, makes the camera feel so much better and its far easier to hold now. Few of my latest shots:

Very nice photos! I especially like the 2nd one.
Quote from mcintyrej :I invested in a Battery Grip at the weekend, the BG-E3 for the Canon 350D and 400D. Its a brilliant bit of kit, makes the camera feel so much better and its far easier to hold now. Few of my latest shots:

How much did you pay for it?
I found a bit of rural decay today, which I found quite striking. Seemed so strange to find the mix of grafitti and technology out in the middle of nowhere. It's an abandoned weather research station, owned by Bradford University.
Attached images
Oxenhop_Moor_Panorama2.jpg
wow nice picture , so basicly u can steal the expensive radars etc?
hehe.. seems so, although there is a notice on the gate saying that you need written permission before you're allowed to climb over the fence!

Apparently the grafitti artists can't read, though
Well the rain arrived pretty full-on. I thought that was the end of photography for the day (I didn't much feel like getting soaked!) until this little chap turned up
Attached images
DSC_0482.jpg
Quote from SamH :I found a bit of rural decay today, which I found quite striking. Seemed so strange to find the mix of grafitti and technology out in the middle of nowhere. It's an abandoned weather research station, owned by Bradford University.

Woah, great Pic.
A BMW 2002 that I saw on the street this Monday.

It's a bit difficult to get the angles right though.
Quote from danowat :How much did you pay for it?

I got it for £75 brand new at my local shop. One of the best prices around, even beats most on the net and definately beats Jessops £130.

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG