The online racing simulator
#351 - Don
Does anyone have any hands-on experience of the Nikon D1x, perchance? I'm looking at one now I'm thinking of buying. It's heavy but I don't care about that.. I'm quite used to the F4s, which is a brick. 5.7 megapix should be plenty for me.. most of the stuff I do never makes it as far as print, and I have a decent collection of Nikkor lenses.

I'm not seeing a downside. Am I missing something?
May I ask how much you're considering paying for the D1x? Just that unless you really need "pro-grade" features (i.e. good seals, integrated grip, etc) you may be better off getting a more recent, but "low" or "mid grade" Nikon body. The D1x is getting pretty old now. That doesn't make it any worse, but there might be a more recent mid-range body that provides better image quality for the same money.
Couple of photos from last week:

(EDIT) on second thoughts, not entirely sure I have the models' permission to be posting these.
I'm now in proud posession of the Nikon D1x. I looked at the consumer cameras but they're just not capable of doing the things I've got used to having access to with the F4 - particularly the lens range. Some of my lenses are pretty old. My favourite, in fact, a 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor was prolly made before I was.

The D1x is based on the old F5, so it all feels like a bit of an upgrade over my old F4s, and with the added advantage of being bloody cheap to run too!

£250, with a new Nikon battery and a Nikon quick charger.. I'm a happy man
My first, unwilling model.. the dog!

Actually, she really was unwilling.. never work with kids and animals, but I wanted to crank out a first photo from the camera to post here.
Attached images
DSC_0008-sm.jpg
Aww, she's cute. What kinda dog is she? She looks like a pit or staffie mix at first glance.
Well spotted, sir! Yes, there's definitely some staffie in there. The rest, goodness knows!
Congrats Sam - if you have old lenses that you really like then getting a camera body that lets you get the most out of them makes sense.

I got a new toy today, too.

(I mean the body, not the lens).
Attached images
DSC04991.JPG
Lubblyjubbly! Has Sony gone Nikon mount? Isn't that the Tamron macro? I wouldn't mind seeing some photos pulled out of that setup, when you're ready!

I have a 55mm Micro-Nikkor. It's very positively the ugliest lens ever made, ever ever. I nearly got arrested for posession of an offensive weapon when I went outdoors with it. (the Nikon F4s can be used to bludgeon people.. the lens is just offensive to look at).

Nikon mount? Hell no! Sony took over the Minolta A-mount when KonicaMinolta bailed out of the camera business.

I've already used the Tamron 90 macro (which is available in all the lens mounts) with my old A100. Shot a couple of gigabytes of pictures at a fashion show a couple of weeks ago, which has led to my very first image sales to some rather gorgeous blondes.

And this weekend, before I got the new A700, I used the Tammy & A100 to shoot this little beauty...

Aint she a stunner?

Everyone seems really appalled when I tell them that spider was actually dead. I accidentally froze it to death by leaving it in the freezer too long. I only wanted to slow it down a bit...
Quote from SamH :Lubblyjubbly! Has Sony gone Nikon mount? Isn't that the Tamron macro? I wouldn't mind seeing some photos pulled out of that setup, when you're ready!

I have a 55mm Micro-Nikkor. It's very positively the ugliest lens ever made, ever ever. I nearly got arrested for posession of an offensive weapon when I went outdoors with it. (the Nikon F4s can be used to bludgeon people.. the lens is just offensive to look at).

If she takes a good snap, she's a beaut.
Quote from STROBE :Aint she a stunner?

Eugh! LOL! Nice shot, though.. despite the subject matter!!
Probably going to get to test and review the Olympus E-520 sometime in the next month. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it is/post some samples.
Summer's coming (northern hemisphere anyway! ) and since I got my new camera body, it's got me thinking about places in the world I'd like to visit, to take some photos.

Here are my current top 5 destinations:-
  1. Angkor Wat monasteries, Cambodia (Google Images)
  2. Tibet and the Himalayas (Google Images)
  3. Iceland (Google Images)
  4. Peru (Google Images)
  5. Sri Lanka (Google Images)
Anyone else have any feelings on these, or willing to share their own dream locations?
Oooh heck yeah.. the Zion and Grand Tetons national parks have some serious pull for me too! I've been planning a trip to both for a couple of years.. was supposed to be there about now, but couldn't get it together. Maybe this, or possibly next fall!
Well, I'll be living out in Santa Fe, New Mexico by that point, so let's meet up and do some hiking!
That, m'lud, is a date!!

Should I wear casual or something frilly?
Casual is better for hiking, we can do the frilly afterward.
Right on!

I plugged in my 55mm Micro-Nikkor today, to see how it does. This shot was not at full close-up, but nearly.. shot at 8 seconds, f/57 (according to the camera). Full-frame, no cropping.. just resampled.
Attached images
DSC_0096.jpg
wow, f57! Is that right?

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG