The online racing simulator
Backfire Mod
(218 posts, started )
Quote from Becky Rose :Totally wrong, sorry ! It's down to fuel getting in to the exhaust in an unburnt state - one of the car nuts here will explain it better - but basically the faster the formula the richer the fuel mixture and the more backfires you get. It's not really anything to do with engine damage, that's rattles and tapping noises more than anything - although if you get a nasty backfire you can blow your exhaust and the sudden loss of compression could theoretically effect the engine I guess.

I know why cars backfire, but what I had heard is that small problems within the internals of the engine can also cause some popping, and that was the explanation I was given as to why some of the more amateur classes had more frequent pops, which weren't really backfire at all. That's what I was told, but I suppose it may not be true

I can't say I've ever heard a modern F1 car backfire except once or twice on a downshift - I've never heard it from one any other time, but it occurs at other times with this little program you've made Like I said, I'm not a mechanic so I don't really know what is right. If the way this is done is correct than it is great, and I will be using it
We're at a tangent in what we where talking about Maggot.

Re: F1's - no about about the new engines this year, last time I went was a few years back now and to be honest all I can remember is industrial deafness

@Everyone: Yes the mod does have some bugs still, there's too many bangs and the engine never stops overrunning: I've a cold, a headache, i'm tired, i'll fix it later.
I wanna kiss ya becks, been waiting for sumthing like this for yonks
Quote from Becky Rose :When you figure out how to use that to detect impacts (vertex deforms) on any parts of the model with glass in them please let us know, because that is what was being talked about...

My idea was to define that car xyz is able to reach accelerations from -x m/s² (brakes) up to y m/s² (engine). Then you could say that accelerations far beyond these "native" acceleretions must be caused by hits, crashs and so on. If you define, at which accelerations car glas would pop out of its frame, you could play a sound when Outsim sends such data.
Quote from Becky Rose :We're at a tangent in what we where talking about Maggot.

Re: F1's - no about about the new engines this year, last time I went was a few years back now and to be honest all I can remember is industrial deafness

i dunno about backfire but i saw lots of flames shooting out of the bmw's exhaust at france
If I remember right "GTR" despite being a bad racing sim (imo) the sounds, particularly of whining transmission and what, where very good. Just in case you want something to check out
good work, look forward to seeing the final version
Quote from iNfa-ReD :If I remember right "GTR" despite being a bad racing sim (imo) the sounds, particularly of whining transmission and what, where very good. Just in case you want something to check out

the current backfire sounds in the mod are from the GTR2 demo. FYI.
Quote from Becky Rose :We're at a tangent in what we where talking about Maggot.

@Everyone: Yes the mod does have some bugs still, there's too many bangs and the engine never stops overrunning: I've a cold, a headache, i'm tired, i'll fix it later.

Get well soon Miss Becky
Quote :If you define, at which accelerations car glas would pop out of its frame

At a suprisingly low speed, the method would be suprisingly innacurate at finding when the glass is damage, if you take a look at the Redline Racing server for Fox's around Blackwood you will see just how bad trying to detect collisions with insim is.

Quote :the current backfire sounds in the mod are from the GTR2 demo. FYI.

If they are then the authors of GTR2 stole them from the same place I did, which is a Stunt Car Racer remake by an indi developer. It's entirely feasable that the author of that stole them from somewhere else too , but i'd be suprised if they are used in GTR2 unless they are from GTR1. I wouldn't know because I dont have either.

The next mod will have sounds that Troy posted, but i'm making quite a lot of major changes and doing quite a lot of stuff with it so it's not going to be out super duper quickly... I have done the backfires though, independent for each car all with their own properties and quirks - so it's just a case of tweeking any that aren't right when you guys get hold of it.

I'm working on a 'suprise' mostly , but I will try some gear change samples to the car sets and see if it sounds right.

Quote :Get well soon Miss Becky

Your a miracle worker it seems because I am feeling better than I was
GTR2 has these files and a few more. And i dont think Becky really wants to have to write a program with this many different sounds
Attached images
gtr2.JPG
oic, in that case the next patch will use the GTR2 samples as that what Troy upload, they're a lot better because there's enough diversity to give each car it's own character.

I've changed a lot on the backfire front, I got rid of overrun completely and now just check for chance of backfire on upshift/downshift and coming off the throttle - each car has it's own attributes and it's own array of sounds and volume ranges.

I'm mostly busy with my "suprise" though, and that is going to take a while guys... but I think will be worth it. Although it kills pit spotter because LFS will only deal with one insim application so I also have to either replace it or I must write an insim relay so that pit spotter can still work.

How do you fancy my voice instead of that yank guys?

I guess I could release a pre-release version that still uses outguage and only does the backfire stuff.
Quote from Becky Rose : How do you fancy my voice instead of that yank guys?

i think you just fulfilled a few fantasies there

Cant wait for the new GTR2 sounds. Good too see your taking this pretty seriously
VERSION 2 OUT

I have released an interim update with the new backfire engine only. I suggest changing the OutGuage Delay to 30 for best results (as that's what i'm using) and setting the car volume to max in your LFS sound preferences as I havn't got far enough to include a volume control still.

Re-Download from the opening post

v2.0 Added a bucket load of backfire samples
Created individual backfire sound sets for each car in LFS
Added 'personality' profiling for each car to backfire under different circumstancs
Removed overrun backfire system and replaced it with a gear change system
Modified link to work best with a lower data rate, now recommend OutGuage Delay of 30

Might want to update the first post with the 30 delay instead of 10.

This update is so much better thanks I might actually use this when racing.
#67 - Jakg
i can trun this and Momo leds together, and i need Momo leds, so is it possibe to run two outgage apps together?
Aye, this sounds alot better, bit loud in the fox through (compared to the uf1).
Quote : i can trun this and Momo leds together, and i need Momo leds, so is it possibe to run two outgage apps together?

I dont think so, in the full final version I was going to add a relay so that other insim applications would work - I guess I could add a relay for outGuage too, this is a while off though

Quote :Might want to update the first post with the 30 delay instead of 10.

Cheers hun, well spotted
Here's a sample video I made to demonstrate the different car characters. There's a hint at the suprise coming soon at the end, if I can get insim working as the docs say it should anyway!...

Backfire Sample Move
vid could have been a little bit better quality but what you can make out it looks very good..... i mean sounds!

ive just downloaded your mod becky and YES i have read your instructions but as of yet i've not managed to get a sound out of it.... *scratches head*

looking forward to the full version, in the mean time i am gonna try and figure out why the backfire mod doesnt work...

mad
Check that the outguage mode does not equal 0 in cfg.txt. If LFS exits having not established a connection to the mod then it re-writes this value to 0 and disables the mod. (The newer version won't use this initialisation method.) Ensure LFS is not loaded when you edit the cfg.txt file.
ahh problem solved....it was norton firewall that was causing it :irked:. It blocked all access of the backfire mod.... works a treat now

some great work there Becky....

mad
whoa Becky! you had a great idea! even from the "buggy" lx video it was clear the potential of this mod, ijust watched your video too and it's very nice!!! congrats! istill haven't the time to try it by myself, but it is clear it gives more immersion...
may i ask for some additional things? i don't know if someone already mentioned it, but it would be nice to add the noise of pitcrew when doing pitstops, brake noise, messages from pits (for your vid i see you are working on it ) for low fuel, your follower gained more that 2 seconds on last lap, your follower is at less than 1 second from you, noise of puctured tyre maybe mixed with some noise of rim touching tarmac, noise of spectators when you do a pass or get passed.

keep up with this excellent work!
I'm working on a massive "audio immersion" tool, I guess I may aswell reveal more about it now. Currently i'm a bit stuffed (see programmers section) but I am making progress and learning about the whole insim deal still.

I am putting in full, *full*, radio communications. Everything I expect to get when I race for real is going in (eventually), plus i'll be distroting the radio chatter in real time and adding breaks and extra static to the communications in real time, i'll be adding a pit spotter style component to it as obviously the two would talk over each other.

I'm going to try making the current backfire effects work in surround sound, and apply fake backfires to other cars by detecting their decelleration and estimating their gear.

Then i'll be playing with some more ambient such as gear change noises.

I like the idea of putting crowd noise into the surround sound system, it would need some work to create audio hotspots in each track where all the grandstands are, but once that is done I could play the crowd at different volumes and play air horns when there is a change of race position.

Backfire Mod
(218 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG