The online racing simulator
Backfire Mod
(218 posts, started )
Version 2.0 + BF1 = TEH SEX
right, either i have to wait for it to go insim, or someone tells me how i set up 2 apps to feed from outgauge, whenever i try it it knocks either one or both out!
I think the problem with the sound quality in LFS is that the sounds in the little backfire mod arent rendered through the game engine, they are just being played.
that way you wont be able to enjoy "just played" music.
don't get me wrong, but if you mean that the sounds should be rendered to get more variation(s) (pitch,speed,panning) to the sound then ok...
otherwise i don't get you point.
sounds are just played (mainly) they don't need to be "rendered" for whatever reason, except signal-degradiation.

regards
Quote from micha1980de :that way you wont be able to enjoy "just played" music.
don't get me wrong, but if you mean that the sounds should be rendered to get more variation(s) (pitch,speed,panning) to the sound then ok...
otherwise i don't get you point.
sounds are just played (mainly) they don't need to be "rendered" for whatever reason, except signal-degradiation.

regards

Well look at GTR2, the backfire sounds in it sounds a million times better, but there the same sound. This is because its the sounds are rendered using the sound engine in game, with EAX and all thoes special things.
as i just concured with you.
i was talking about a greater variety of one (in that example) backfire sound.
but i guess i just wanted to missunderstand you, sorry.

regards
Quote from Roadie :Well look at GTR2, the backfire sounds in it sounds a million times better, but there the same sound. This is because its the sounds are rendered using the sound engine in game, with EAX and all thoes special things.

LFS doesn't have alot of things that GTR2 has, but that doesn't make GTR2 any better than LFS.... Is GTR2 made by three people? I didn't think so!
Quote from Becky Rose :
If they are then the authors of GTR2 stole them from the same place I did, which is a Stunt Car Racer remake by an indi developer. It's entirely feasable that the author of that stole them from somewhere else too

Sorry for being OT, but Becky can you please tell me the name of this Stunt Car Racer remake ? I really want to try it, because i loved this game on the good old Amiga (actually the first game i played in multiplayer with 2 computer via a serial cable link).

Thanks in advance,

Octane
Quote from wheel4hummer :LFS doesn't have alot of things that GTR2 has, but that doesn't make GTR2 any better than LFS.... Is GTR2 made by three people? I didn't think so!

I never said GTR2 was better... I don't even like the game in fact.
It's still in development Octane, here's the website but there's no download and not much info: Stunt Race Xtreme.

I've been lucky enough to try 2 or 3 in development demo's so far and it's really very good in so many ways, although Vordi's doing a few things I wish he woudln't, for example the multiplayer only handles 4 cars because of a classic indi-approach to network play (similar to LFS' actually) where the data is sent on a timed interval - which is a horrendously innefficient way of doing things, that combined with a general lack of experience in network coding efficiency and he's down to only 4 cars over multiplayer.

It's the same basic problem that sees LFS limited to 20 when some games have 40 - sending data over packet intervalling is just innefficient - but who am I to argue? ... I posted my approach on dev forums many a time and they get laughed at, then I write a multiplayer game with it and cram dozens of players over standard modem and everyone says it plays great over multiplayer and asks how I did it, and I tell them and they laugh at it... Programmers like everything to be done a certain way, usually the "professional" way, or the way some coding tutorail on the GameDev forums says it should be done *sigh*.

That rant aside, it's a great piece of work and Vorderman is putting monumental detail into making it a fully polished and very playable game.

Quote :I think the problem with the sound quality in LFS is that the sounds in the little backfire mod arent rendered through the game engine, they are just being played.

LFS is not fully using all of the sound channels on your sound card so quality is not being degrated by duplexing. If you have a quality issue please state which car so I can isolate a given sound sample, as each LFS car has a different sound set in the backfire mod and there may be sets i've not realised are not sounding so great.

Despite supposition to the contrary, the pitch is being varied, up to 20kHz each way, as is the volume etc. The only thing not done is the surround sound which as i've explained I plan to add soon.

Regarding getting two outguage apps to work currently this is not possible, but it will be in the later version.
really it needs to be like antilag on the turbo cars ie a consistant bang between gear, and off throttle..
Quote from QIKVR4 :really it needs to be like antilag on the turbo cars ie a consistant bang between gear, and off throttle..

Thats a bit more technical than what becky is working on, backfire mod is only a sound where your talking about actually editing the way the engine behaves.

My car rumbles and pops on shifts in RL, I have a turbo, it doesn't pop very consistant, but I also don't have fuel being dumped into the exhaust =P, well at least not as much as it would take to keep boost running.
aye, I cannot directly effect the performance of the cars or the cars behaviour in game in any way, I can only read data out. If it where possible to modify a cars performance then it would only get abused by cheaters, so this just isn't possible.
Quote from HiTTeR :it work whit momoleds?

ill try do download v2 an start momoled.

found my error, didnt work with 0.5q verson.
and momoled use an other mode and port so no u cant use it with momoleds, unsless u can "dualboot"outgauge
Q? where all runing patch U, and both momleds and this work with U
I like the concept in this mod but one of the backfire sounds rolls on way too long. lso I would prefer a single Backfire sound for upshifts and a single sound for downshifts. The multiple sounds for upshifts and downshifts dont sound right to me and most cars should have a different type of backfire sound. Dont get me wrong the work you have done so far is good but it needs work. This is not a criticism just a suggestion
Please please please which car has the duff sound? I can't find it, and infact wont bother too, without at least knowing which sound set to look in.

Making sure only single sounds are played on upshift/downshift is a good idea though. I'm also tempted to modify the upshift sound to play depending on engine revs rather than just randomly.
Why not make the relay part a completely separate application? That way anyone can use it (useful for existing applications), and other people writing insim stuff don't have to code a similar thing into their apps.
You will not need to have the backfire or pit radio elements active to use the relay element of the program.
Doesn't seem to work at all on U18.
I don't see any special messages or error prompts, so that's all I can say.
Ive been using it with patch u18 with no problems.
Quote :Doesn't seem to work at all on U18.
I don't see any special messages or error prompts, so that's all I can say.

That would happen if the outguage setup is not correct.
Is there anything to setup besides the cfg.txt?
Attached images
BFoutgquge.gif
No, do you have firewall software as that could be blocking it?
No, I disabled the usual autoblocks that came up on first run.
Disabled the firewall and still nothing.

Backfire Mod
(218 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG