The online racing simulator
Backfire Mod
(218 posts, started )
it work whit momoleds?
I dont have a momo and have no idea how that application works, so you'd have to try it and let everyone know
#28 - Jakg
didnt for me! iirc ist said could not load fart
When you lift off from high revs there is bangs all the way to very low revs, doesn't feel real somehow. I would say that less firing would be better. One bang! per downshift or less. But good work And you weren't the first one to think this
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=10279&page=3 but don't know how near releasing that is :P
aye - people have asked for backfires several times since i've been on the forums

Quote :When you lift off from high revs there is bangs all the way to very low revs, doesn't feel real somehow.

I made it bang quite a lot because when i've watched GT's and F3's that's what they do, although it is perhaps still a bit excessive. I am working on expanding this and allowing each car to be configued differently, also i'm putting in some other sounds but it's a bigger project and wont be so fast
LOL, nice LX vid - that bug sure is funny. It's so funny my stomach hurts.

Anyway, good luck with the addon.
Can someone post a new video when it's working right?

/Mike

please...
For a first attempt i think this is pretty good. it can only get better. So keepup the good work Becky, its great to see the sort of potential that we now have for modding LFS audio.

I was considering learning how to program purely because of the possiblities for sound modding. Wouldnt it be possible to add sounds for squeaky brakes, glass breaking when a particular part of the car is hit a particular velocity, bad shift sounds when trying to change gear without clutch engaged etc?
Quote :add sounds for squeaky brakes

Nominally yes, but LFS wouldn't be effected by it.
Quote :glass breaking when a particular part of the car is hit a particular velocity

Not that I can tell, i've not seen any collision info in LFS' output data.

Quote :bad shift sounds when trying to change gear without clutch engaged etc?

Yes, give me a .wav file to play and I could add this.
#35 - troy
oh yes very nice troy Cheers. I'll use these in the newer version.
What about the possibility of gearchange sounds? Whining transmissions? More all kinds of cracks and pops from the suspension?

I can't provide any good samples, but I know many other sims have good sound samples that we individuals could use privately.

And it would be nice if this worked with the upcoming soundmod
The current mod will work because it uses only outguage, the full mod i'm working on may not, it depends if they are just modifying samples or if they have an insim application.

However I am thinking of putting an insim relay into my program so that other insim applications which use the same insim settings from LFS can continue to work, unfortunately the way insim works some things are mutually exclusive.
@Mike20002
There ya go :P The picture is crappy, but at least you can see where i was racing
Attached files
backfire prw.rar - 1.8 MB - 1505 views
Quote from Becky Rose :

Not that I can tell, i've not seen any collision info in LFS' output data.

There are acceleration inforamtion in Outsim. You could check, if there are great negative or positive accelerations, which cannot caused by engine or brakes. Initialization and use of Outsim is described in Insim.txt.
Quote :There are accelaration inforamtion in Outsim. Initialization is described in Insim.txt.

When you figure out how to use that to detect impacts (vertex deforms) on any parts of the model with glass in them please let us know, because that is what was being talked about...

@MattGyula and everyone: I have my engine volume set to 2.0 in the sound options and think the game is much better for it, watching your video I think my mod doesn't sound so good with the default engine volume. I'll need to add a volume setting to the next version.
The wav sound in ver 1.1 must be updated with a better quality one...thats my opinion. Right now it just sound like if it was comming out of a old 200 AMAZING sounds kids keyboard . Other than that, Great job! Great Addon...Next: transmission sound .
Quote from MataGyula :@Mike20002
There ya go :P The picture is crappy, but at least you can see where i was racing

Thanks... that's a really great work, sound qulity not that good yet but i like the timing of the different sounds...

/mike
#44 - Jakg
waaaaaay to much for me tyvm!
Quote from Becky Rose :I made it bang quite a lot because when i've watched GT's and F3's that's what they do, although it is perhaps still a bit excessive.

Is there a way to add a check and have different settings for different cars? For instance the older model street cars (XRG, XFG, etc) and the FOX would be more apt to have more popping becase they have a much smaller budget. I've read that a lot of the popping is caused by engine damage IRL, and the smaller series and club racing groups would have a smaller budget and maybe not be able to afford to fix things as often, and quite frequently race with equipment that is "flawed." The higher end series (GTR, FO8, BF1, etc) would most likely just have one pop on the first downshift into a corner, and maybe a quieter pop on the second and third downshifts. Although, I've found backfire occurs mostly on the first downshift after a full-throttle section for more pro series cars.

Just a thought I haven't given it a try yet, but I'll see if I can get it working and use it during my practice for my league race tonight
Quote from sil3ntwar :Here is a video of the lx6 around AS Cadet for those that cant get this working. There are a few good sounds but overall it happens far too often and most of the sounds dont fit with the car sound of LFS.

What texture update for Aston are you using?

for Becky Rose: I tried changing your original sound files to better ones from Richard Burns Rally but it was fux0red in the game. Does it matter how long the files are? Because those were shorter than the originals, that might be the reason.
Just gave it a go (Pleased after my quick practice session that I can make the tires last long enough too. ) and I agree that there are too many pops, but like you said, you based it on the F3s and such. I don't understand the constant popping while sitting on the grid though, that doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not mechanic and that might actually be the case. :P
Quote :Is there a way to add a check and have different settings for different cars? For instance the older model street cars (XRG, XFG, etc) and the FOX would be more apt to have more popping becase they have a much smaller budget. I've read that a lot of the popping is caused by engine damage IRL, and the smaller series and club racing groups would have a smaller budget and maybe not be able to afford to fix things as often, and quite frequently race with equipment that is "flawed." The higher end series (GTR, FO8, BF1, etc) would most likely just have one pop on the first downshift into a corner

Totally wrong, sorry ! It's down to fuel getting in to the exhaust in an unburnt state - one of the car nuts here will explain it better - but basically the faster the formula the richer the fuel mixture and the more backfires you get. It's not really anything to do with engine damage, that's rattles and tapping noises more than anything - although if you get a nasty backfire you can blow your exhaust and the sudden loss of compression could theoretically effect the engine I guess.

Imagine the massed ranks of soldiers in the battle of 1066 at Hastings, 30 odd thousand men all lined up in ranks. Give them fully automatic machine guns and ask them to fire within 1.5 seconds of each other, then add the sound of 10,000lb bombs exploding and that's the noise of an F1. Your 'low budget' mini on the other end of the scale doesn't backfire very much at all and makes as much noise as a crusty tissue floating on the breeze. You can turn the mixture up in a mini all you like but it's so short on power you just starve the engine of air and it burns even less fuel.

Quote :Does it matter how long the files are

Length should not be too long else the samples will begin to overlap too much, the sound should be saved at 44Khz.

Quote :Is there a way to add a check and have different settings for different cars?

Already on it
#49 - Mc21
That was pretty horrible.. I wasent even moving and I was getting sound lol..

But I do like the idea. Hope it can be improved.
Quote from Becky Rose :
Length should not be too long else the samples will begin to overlap too much, the sound should be saved at 44Khz.

Ok. But those sounds I tried sounded like they weren't played to the end even that those were shorter than yours. And also volume was way too high even that in Windows they sounded to be pretty much in similar volume that your original files. I'll try it again later...

Backfire Mod
(218 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG