The online racing simulator
Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
Quote from Gunn :Well. I just purchased Fallout 3. A rip off at AU$99, but what can you do?

Order it online?

PS3 games are 75 euros here, but if i order them online it's about 45..
£35 online in the UK (about 44 Euro I think)
Yep, i'm ordering LBP from Shopto.net It will be around 50 euros with shipping...
That's still a rip off, games should be cheaper, but it's still better then 75 which they charge here..
Personally, I think the price point is about right, especially if you look at it on a £-hour ratio, probably the cheapest form of entertainment there is....well, not as cheap as dropping your trousers in a shopping mall, but thats only entertaining untill the police arrive.
Quote :We are pleased to inform you that your order has been dispatched by our team in Basingstoke.

Thank you very much for ordering from us here at gameplay, you should receive your package in 3 - 5 Working Days.

This dispatch contains the following:

Qty Description
1 Fallout 3 [Xbox 360]

Woot!!
Quote from danowat :I think you can get some idea of weather you'll like it or not from the games features, the style of game, video's, some trusted review etc etc

True enough - I usually base my opinion on certain review sites and by searching about specific queries I might have on the game's forum. Especially if there's some much hyped feature involved.

However, unless it's an open-ended game or a simulator and thus gets my attention I'm usually watching indie games which tend to have demos available.
#57 - Gunn
Quote from Boris Lozac :Order it online?

PS3 games are 75 euros here, but if i order them online it's about 45..

45 Euro = AUD$81.00. Plus postage to Oz and it comes out about the same.

Quote from danowat :Lucky he got it for $99, I saw new releases in Aus for $110!!!!.

The console version is retailing for $119 (EB Games) and the PC version for $99. They said they'd beat any price I could find, even if I find a cheaper price in the next week or so they will refund the difference. The thing that gets me though is in six months time the game will be $49.95 in the bargain bin. If game companies want to stop piracy they should start working on their price tag.

Quote from xaotik :Actually, I have a hard time picturing him happy in general - but that's just me being a smart-ass.

I'm actually a really happy guy. I have a great family life, flexible working hours with good pay and no daily dramas. Drop 'round for a beer some time.
Quote from Gunn :45 Euro = AUD$81.00. Plus postage to Oz and it comes out about the same.

Ok, that's not bad, they don't raise the price criminally like over here...and you earn what, 2000 AUD, minimum? I earn 500 euros, so 75 euros for the game is a huge rip off..
Quote from Gunn :Drop 'round for a beer some time.

If for some reason I find myself around there* I will most likely do so.

* Perhaps for something unique, like opening up a taverna named Acropolis or something.
#60 - Gunn
Quote from Boris Lozac :Ok, that's not bad, they don't raise the price criminally like over here...and you earn what, 2000 AUD, minimum? I earn 500 euros, so 75 euros for the game is a huge rip off..

I earn about AUD$1000 per week. But after putting a roof over the family's head, and feeding them and the dog, paying for petrol, rego, and insurance for two cars, health cover, contents insurance, household bills, gaffer tape, dozens of small marsupials and hired the dwarf etc, 99 bucks hurts a lot, especially for a purchase that has a limited life span and you don't even know if you are going to like it until you've opened it and used it.
I've blown thousands on crap games over the years. Thank the Gods that LFS has been such great value and I got to try it out before I made my purchasing decision, and all at a very reasonable cost too.
I hear ya.... Luckily, most games have a demo, and for the ones that don't, there are gameplay videos, reviews, history, you can hardly go wrong if you know what your'e doing, and luckily i'm not much of a gamer anymore, so 3, 4, 5 games per year are more then enough for me..
Ordered Fallout 3 for PC on Tuesday from Play.com for £24.99, was posted same day so now I'm camped behind my front door so I can rip the Posties finger prints off when it sticks a corner through the letter box I have Fallout 1 and 2, my 20yr old son is now playing 2, so you could say I'm a bit of a "fan O A P"

Sam
I remember FO1 and FO2 with fondness, especially FO2.

I understand FO3 is going to be quite different, but I am still looking forward to it, I have decided to plump for the xbox360 version, simply because lounging on my leather recliners in the lounge on my 42" HD TV is a more attractive prospect than being perched in front of a PC, something I do all day.
Quote from samarius :Ordered Fallout 3 for PC on Tuesday from Play.com for £24.99, was posted same day so now I'm camped behind my front door so I can rip the Posties finger prints off when it sticks a corner through the letter box I have Fallout 1 and 2, my 20yr old son is now playing 2, so you could say I'm a bit of a "fan O A P"

Sam

Don't expect it anytime soon. Took them well, 5 nights and 4 days to ship a game for me
I got it yesterday...

The outside world looks very nice and creates a great atmosphere. So far so good. The characters however... they look exactly like in Oblivion (same graphics, same animations). They ruin the great atmosphere a little, because they look completely "unattached" to the rest of the gameworld. It doesn't ruin the game, but it could have been a lot better in this regard.

There's great humor in the game and it seems like there will be really cool stuff to do (right at the beginning you're given the choice to either disarm an old atomic bomb (with a village built around it... WTF!), or blow it up, including the village and all its people... which might "slightly" change the storyline of course... hehe!)).

I've played it for about three or four hours so far. I must say, it feels VERY MUCH like playing Oblivion. Physics of the game... dialogues, how you find your targets, combats (except for the guns etc)... it feels like they've just copy/pasted from Oblivion. So if you didn't like oblivion, you probably won't like this one either. I enjoyed oblivion very much tho, so for me, it's a very nice game so far!
Quote from jibber :I've played it for about three or four hours so far. I must say, it feels VERY MUCH like playing Oblivion. Physics of the game... dialogues, how you find your targets, combats (except for the guns etc)... it feels like they've just copy/pasted from Oblivion. So if you didn't like oblivion, you probably won't like this one either. I enjoyed oblivion very much tho, so for me, it's a very nice game so far!

Yum yum, the idea of a bastard offspring of Oblivion and Fallout is a nice prospect to me, hopefully I get my copy today or tomorrow
#67 - Gunn
I've done about five hours now. If you've played Fallout 1 or 2 you won't be disappointed - they have done a good job of keeping the Fallout feel to the story and game world. It's almost the same game but in 1st person. While character interaction can be compared to oblivion, it's actually very much closer to Fallout 1 & 2, with multiple choice options producing an effect on your Karma. The characters are more individual and have more to say than in Oblivion. There is less repetition in the dialogue. There's a fair bit of swearing so if you are offended by modern language this game will certainly offend you.

I've had a few crashes and the odd bug (not recurring as yet) but nothing that I don't get with oblivion too.

Anyways.....back to the wastelands.
Sweet, I am looking forward to it!!!!
I'm looking for some guidance on this one. I've never played a Fallout game before but this one has grabbed my attention. Thing is, I really didn't like Oblivion - I found it really aimless and I got bored because there was nothing drawing me on. It was pretty, but running around nice environments is only amusing for so long.

Does this one have a more focused story? Obviously it's still pretty freeform, but do you have things to draw you toward outposts and towns? Is there something compelling you to delve into the story?
Quote from Dajmin :I'm looking for some guidance on this one. I've never played a Fallout game before but this one has grabbed my attention. Thing is, I really didn't like Oblivion - I found it really aimless and I got bored because there was nothing drawing me on. It was pretty, but running around nice environments is only amusing for so long.

Does this one have a more focused story? Obviously it's still pretty freeform, but do you have things to draw you toward outposts and towns? Is there something compelling you to delve into the story?

Maybe it's too early for an answer (maybe i should play more first) to this, but...

As i said, to me it feels almost exactly like Oblivion. It's nice, it's pretty, it's good, but you hit the nail on the head there with calling oblivion "aimless". This is exactly how i feel about Faullout 3.

I never played previous Fallout titles either, so i can't comment on those and make a comparison.

Thing is, i liked oblivion for what it was. And i know it will be the same with Fallout 3. I basically like games which have loads and loads of content... there is rarely a game that kept me busy for so long. That's why i liked it so much.

On the other hand, it's exactly like you say about oblivion. It doesn't draw you in... it feels aimless. At least that's how it is for me. So in some way, i always have to motivate myself in those games.

It's not the same as GTAIV, Fable II, Bioshock, etc. Those were games (just examples) I almost can't/couldn't stop playing until i finished them.
With Fallout 3, after about three hours, i felt like putting Fable II back into the disc drive...

Don't get me wrong tho, Fallout 3 is pretty good so far!
I concur - quests in ES games, either the "main" ones or the sidequests (with few notable exceptions) have always had a sort of disjointed feel to them. It can either give an unwelcome and alienating feeling or work for it to create a sort of eerie atmosphere. I found the second more prominent in Morrowind, possibly due to the entirely non-standard fantasy surroundings - Daggerfall kind of worked in the alienating direction, possibly in conjuction with the fact that the gameworld was ridiculously large also that the terrain was randomly generated, thus not providing any real landmarks.

Another prominent "feature" of the stock quests is that there is rarely a time constraint on them - meaning you can do any section at any time, even game-years later, and it won't matter. And while that stands true for many other games - there is not even some sort of "pressure" or sense of urgency introduced to the player via typical story-telling mediums.

Non-surprisingly, I've found that the quests I enjoyed the most in Morrowind and Oblivion came from plugins.
Quote :It doesn't draw you in... it feels aimless. At least that's how it is for me. So in some way, i always have to motivate myself in those games.

I think part of the thing with Oblivion though (and some other games) is that the main quest is optional. That's why there's so much emphasis and detail placed into the world itself, because you are really allowed to just wander off and do your own thing- become a vampire, or herbalist or whatever. For people who aren't really into roleplay, I can imagine that games like Oblivion don't offer much in the way of incentive. If you're largely drawn in by a good plot, the first thing is to give your character some sense of personality, even if it's largely your own, and then by your actions you can start to thread your own little sub-narrative together. The problem there of course is that your choices aren't often picked up or reflected in the game in any meaningful way, which can make the experience kind of hollow.

Having a house, with all my treasure lying around, was one way I tried to categorise and personalise my experience of that world. I could look over everything and say 'Ahh, that sword over there, I remember journeying through the foothills of Navarok (whatever) and beating my first Ice Troll to get that. Ahh, the memories. A little bowl of gemstones could serve as a visual tale of victory through the many twisting caves I explored in search of loot. That kind of thing...

You sort of have to do all that, because the main quests are often pretty weak.
#73 - Gunn
Quote from xaotik :
Another prominent "feature" of the stock quests is that there is rarely a time constraint on them - meaning you can do any section at any time, even game-years later, and it won't matter.

There are areas and towns in Fallout which you won't survive if you are not yet strong enough and/or are poorly equipped.

If Fallout3 follows it's predecessors, there's some serious trouble up ahead for your character.

Anyway, apart from the storyline, I'm really enjoying the gun battles and the gore in this one. Also (like the previous Fallout games) some of the perks (perks are like special abilities) make for interesting questing and battles.

The open style gaming where you can go where you want is preferable to me than the very linear approach used in games like Half Life 2. I don't like games that have invisible walls preventing you from exploring interesting-looking territory just off the main path. It's great to take your time and follow your nose.
Quote from pine-fin :What the.. thats not fallout! Wheres the funny dialog and witty responses? Thats just some fps shooter pasted with some fallout styles.. Buu! BUUUUU!

Seems that I judged it too quickly.. Saw it and tried it for a few hours. Now I have to buy it
Another thing that is just like in Oblivion...

The game is damn hard at the beginning! Everywhere i go, they slaughter me!

Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG