The online racing simulator
Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
I should get mine today or tomorrow, really looking forward to playing it, although it means I need to stop playing Fable II
I'll see if i can get it today.

After reading some reviews, i am really looking forward to this. Should be a great game!

I'll have to stop playing Fable 2 aswell... and Saints Row 2, and Midnight Club LA... there's too many good games at the moment!
Quote from jibber :I'll have to stop playing Fable 2 aswell... and Saints Row 2, and Midnight Club LA... there's too many good games at the moment!

Hahaha, me too, I noticed you were playing Midnight Club the other night, It's very enjoyable, if a little frustrating sometimes!!!.

Fable is good too, can't get into SR2 though.
Yeah, i've seen you playing it aswell... hehe!

I have to agree, it's really enjoyable AND frustrating at the same time!

Saints Row is something i like because of the humor. It doesn't have the amazing graphics of GTAIV, the great physics, etc. But it has all the little crazy activities and things to do... which they missed to put into GTA this time around. I actually enjoy it a lot more than GTAIV. I also love the "gangster" style of Saints Row... make your character look like a complete wannabe gangster and laugh about how ridiculous he looks in every cutscene... i love it!

Fable II must be one of the most beautiful games i have played this year (i love the atmosphere of the game), and i haven't even played it alot yet!

And now back to Fallout 3!
I think SR2 just goes over my head a little, the "humour" seems a bit forced, TBH, I think I am about 20 years to old to play SR2!!!!.

As for Fable 2, hmmm...., I swing wildly from, damn this is awesome, to damn, this is a pure example of hype.

I mean, I don't really want to work and support a wife and family in a game, I have to do that IRL!!!!.
Quote from danowat :I think SR2 just goes over my head a little, the "humour" seems a bit forced, TBH, I think I am about 20 years to old to play SR2!!!!.

As for Fable 2, hmmm...., I swing wildly from, damn this is awesome, to damn, this is a pure example of hype.

I mean, I don't really want to work and support a wife and family in a game, I have to do that IRL!!!!.

You can always ditch the wife and kids... there's whores! But be careful about STD's. Haha!

I've just called my favourite gameshop and tried to get Fallout 3 one day before release... couldn't convince them to give it to me (which usually was no problem)!
Quote from danowat :I mean, I don't really want to work and support a wife and family in a game, I have to do that IRL!!!!.

Do you have to get the kids through college too?
Probably........haven't got that far yet
That's the thing with Fable 2... if you don't want to support your wife/kids - don't!

I was happy-happy with my first wife and even bought them a nice mansion to stay in. Then when I walked up to it some time later to greet my second child (first son) for the first time, he had a distinct dark skin tone (in other words: he was black) now I didn't know if this was a bug or if my wife had some little adventures while I was out on my own, but I took no chances and scared her right out of the house/my life ;D

Then I gave my character unkempt long hair and a tramp-beard, pauper clothes and fed him pies until he was as fat as could be. The game is a real playground for people who love to (role)play out a variety of characters in a world that responds more or less as it should.

My only issue with it (apart from some frustrating bugs) is that Peter Molyneux said it would cost 100 million to buy everything in the game, and I'm the King and own everything with a measily ~4 million in real estate, and that only took me 3 days to accomplish.

Back OT though: Fallout 3 seems to be Oblivion with guns, and I have no interest in Oblivion really. I'll wait until I hear some friends about it before trying it myself.
I thought Oblivion was awesome, I have heard the term "Oblivion with guns" does FO3 a bit of a diservice.
It's been getting mid-90s in most reviews I've read.

You *always* get people complaining when a new version of a game comes out, going 'oh, but it's not like Fallout 1...' Of course it's not like Fallout 1, it's Fallout 3 and this is 2008. if people want to play Fallout 1, go play that one instead.
Quote :Fallout 3 seems to be Oblivion with guns, and I have no interest in Oblivion really.

The problem with today's RPG's as I see it is today's games tend to lack any kind of real puzzle elements. Developers must have figured out that people don't like to think too much, that the best designs are the ones that lead you by the hand every step of the way, preferably with giant red arrows. Maybe this has to do with the actual size and complexity of the typical gameworld these days, with the potential that players could easily get lost or bewildered, but I don't think so. I think it's more that puzzle solving has the tendancy to slow down action, and God forbid.

It's a bit sad, because working your way through a particularly intricate puzzle often gave a higher satisfaction over bludgening your enemies on the head with unlit torches for instance, and I miss that about today's RPGs. The lack of having to do any kind of thinking made Oblivion a very dull game when it could have been a great game.
I think it's that the typical gamer, especially console gamers, have a short attention span, and anything that doesn't appeal to this mass market scares developers.
Quote from danowat :anything that doesn't appeal to this mass market scares publishers, shareholders and other men in suits with no interest in games further than how much they can buy with the profits.

Fixed.
The problem with Oblivion as an RPG is that it gave me absolutely no connection to my character at all. My character is always the same ugly, generic guy/gal with a randomly generated face whom I don't see anyway. There's no personality which leaves it very open to your own imagination, however since every interaction and action feels so static not even my imagination can make up for it and I never feel involved in any part of the game.

RPG's (mostly the western ones) have become far too based around leveling up and kicking some boss' ass with only a superficial layer of character story to back it up. For many people the open world and side-quests are plenty to make the game great - but I really want to get to know/be the character that I'm representing, and so if something happens in the storyline I want to be directly affected by it, and not through some generic face on my screen. Final Fantasy is a great example of an RPG that makes you feel this: every FF game I have finished left me with an incredibly strong feeling of sadness after beating the game (even after taking 50-100 hours to do so) because there is nothing more to learn about the world and the characters, and there is no more story left.
In Oblivion I'm just quick-travelling to quest after quest and going through the motions to finish the game, which will never happen because I am too apathetic about the world and its inhabitants to care enough to do so.

I need to be emotionally attached to my character as soon as I 'meet' him/her, whether it's an annoying character or not, and if that's not possible because the character is 'mute' like in a lot of RPG's, then things need to happen that make me want to take up his role. I have no interest in the world, however big and beautiful and feature-packed it might be, if I can't connect to my character emotionally.

That said, I guess everyone looks for different things in RPG's and I can certainly understand that. I tend to see them more as interactive stories/experiences, and not as 'games'.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Fixed.

Indeed, but a dev is still going to want to sell as many boxes as possible, gotta put food on the table.
Quote from Jertje :That said, I guess everyone looks for different things in RPG's and I can certainly understand that. I tend to see them more as interactive stories/experiences, and not as 'games'.

Yeah - that sort of "forced" attachment I'd assign to adventure games (which I haven't played in many a year). The ES series which is so open-ended appeals more to my idea of an RPG since it basically allows me to do anything I want based on what my character is, whom in turn I have defined. Although, granted I mostly ended up playing a roguish character who (in post-moded Oblivion) could usually be found hugging some piece of valuable loot and running from a horde of stupidly powerful foes.

What I'm hoping for in FO3 is the world to be as open while being less static to my character's or others' actions.
From what I've read there are a LOT of branching plotlines of the kind found in Deus Ex, of which the reviewers only really found out about after talking about their experiences with other reviewers who found that totally different things happened in their game. Which sounds promising.
Only review I had time to read was Eurogamer's rather odd in it's vagueness 10/10 review which essentially didn't answer any of the things I cared about.
Well, fallouts have been different things to different people. Personally the strengths for me where the turn-based combat system, the isometric game view and the world which was true to itself. While F3 may not tick all these boxes it at least has the world of fallout in it and hopefully they can take adventage of the modern tech computers and bigger dev team they have and better it.

But I really like the term Jertje used, an interactive story. That's one of the main reasons I really liked Arcanum and fallouts as well, to see what's fuzz is all about in the end. And the journey was good and enjoyable as well. Interesting to see how it all ends up in F3 though. Haven't read any reviews yet and I probably wait a while before I get it.
#46 - Gunn
Well. I just purchased Fallout 3. A rip off at AU$99, but what can you do?
Bottomline is, one mans meat is anothers poision, and opinions are like arseholes, evenone's got one.

Reviews mean little, as does many other gamers opinions to me, I mean GTA IV got glowing reviews, promptly got slated by a huge portion of the gaming community, but I enjoyed it, very much.

It seems like the slamming the latest (greatest) thing is the thing all the "cool kids" do these days.

I didn't read Vinces posts on that thread, simply because I don't want to spoil the game, but I read some of the posts inbetween.
Indeed, people do get quite vocal about things like this. The one thing that everyone seems to forget is that no one is forcing you to play a game and playing a game is for enjoyment - if you don't enjoy it, then you're playing the wrong game. On their defence though, the only way to (legally) find out if they like the game or not is to buy it. And I can't see Gunn being happy if he don't like the game after giving $99AU for it. Actually, I have a hard time picturing him happy in general - but that's just me being a smart-ass.
Lucky he got it for $99, I saw new releases in Aus for $110!!!!.

I think you can get some idea of weather you'll like it or not from the games features, the style of game, video's, some trusted review etc etc, infact, I don't think I can remember the last time I was dissapointed with a game I brought.

Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG