The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
i finished 3rd w/ the solstice @ lime rock. I wasn't even pushing hard and I'm still covered in sweat. 0 incidents my fastest lap was a 1:04.8 or something like that which was about 1 second slower than the leader's fastest lap.
Yea, I did a race at LMS in the late models the first night I got the game. The last 10 laps me and another guy just swapped the lead back and forth at every turn. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack, it was that intense. That was my first Iracing win. 50 laps at LMS with a 30 car field.

I haven't even tried any road racing yet. I'm no where near fast enough to get out there and being anything other than a rolling roadblock for the leaders.
hehe, i was thinking about buying the late model. I'm about to have my 1st legends race. I am a total oval noob, so I didnt expect to do well and i think I've qualified 2nd place. I don't even know what's considered appropriate aggression on the oval with these cars. I'm just gonna try not to kill anyone or myself.
I don't have the money to buy iracing, but i have an invite.

So, if you want the invite, just post here. First come, first served.
Gone, in 60 seconds (lol)
Cancelled my subscription last night. Would've done it earlier but I forgot, so I've ended up paying for an extra month of a sim I don't want. Ho hum.
Same as above.

It's quite good fun, but not polished enough in any area to warrant that much money yet.
Just out of curiosity, why have you two guys cancelled your subscriptions?

EDIT. Tristan was quick on the edit
Quote from tristancliffe :Same as above.

It's quite good fun, but not polished enough in any area to warrant that much money yet.

Your profile page says that you never participated into any events (Race, Qual, TT)
Quote from The Moose :Just out of curiosity, why have you two guys cancelled your subscriptions?

Content didn't interest me, race scheduling was too restrictive (I'd like to race when I want to race, please), additional content costing additional money didn't agree with me, nor did subscription payments, especially given the infrequency of races.

Those sorts of things.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Content didn't interest me, race scheduling was too restrictive (I'd like to race when I want to race, please), additional content costing additional money didn't agree with me, nor did subscription payments, especially given the infrequency of races.

Those sorts of things.

Basically the whole iRacing concept then!
This may actually sound like a big load of cognitive dissonance, but I feel that the 2h separations between races of the same series are a big plus. It adds a certain weight to the races; people are less likely to quit after T1 and pop into a different server or wait until the next race. Not only does it add to the "if I crash or drive poorly it's a bad thing" mentality established by the Safety Rating, it also gives me good scheduling options. I know that I can plan to race at 20:00, and I'll pop into the race with the knowledge that there are going to be people of my own skill level that are going to give me a good fight; I don't have to worry much about primetime or checking beforehand if a server has decent competitors in it, or wait with racing until my favourite server is filled up a bit more.

Perhaps it's due to my close relation to Germans, but I love the structure of it all
Quote from Crommi :Your profile page says that you never participated into any events (Race, Qual, TT)

And? No, I never went online. I actually don't know how. And I don't understand all the rating bullshit. And I never understood the stuff on the HUD overlay either that I think has something to do with ratings.

But why do I have to go online to decide it doesn't offer anything that is worth the money they want for it.
All the 2-hour interval means to me is that I'll miss most of the races or I have to wait too long for a race. The schedule still sucks, I don't know how they have been able to made it all so badly organized. Another gripe with iracing is the cars. The solstice is pretty nice car and the radical is great fun as well. As for the others, I couldn't care less tbh. The skippie is like powerless GPL car with all the bad traits and the formula mazda is the 2nd most uninteresting car in the history of racing sims since the FBM. And those are te two cars I should focus on for the next 12 weeks! The late model is interesting but it isn't possible to create a road going setup for it, which is a shame. I guess I'll just do enough races to be able to get to the C lisense but I really really hope there is something interesting coming from iracing.

Still, I'm happy I extended my subscription. There just isn't any alternative atm. LFS is pretty much, well, dead in a way. Nkpro patch is still going to be re-re-re-released tomorrow and ISI is...doing their stuff. No sign of kartsim (todd...?) (nor racing legends :tilt either. Iracing is the only sim worth driving atm. Or paying for.
Quote from tristancliffe :
But why do I have to go online to decide it doesn't offer anything that is worth the money they want for it.

Because, like LFS, a big part of iracing is online play
Quote from tristancliffe :And? No, I never went online. I actually don't know how. And I don't understand all the rating bullshit. And I never understood the stuff on the HUD overlay either that I think has something to do with ratings.

Sounds to me you never even wanted to give it a fair go
You can think that if you like. But I only have two cars to play with, and neither are very good in my opinion, so I can't judge too much from it. I think it feels nice, but until I drive a racing car in it (and I can't afford that at the moment) I can't make a fair judgement. Maybe when I have more spare cash and more spare time, and more urge to race online I'll give it another go. Hopefully by then they'll have reduced the ridiculous subscription fees a bit too.

Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Because, like LFS, a big part of iracing is online play

I know what online play is like. I don't need to try online play. Assuming that the netcode is at least as good as LFSs then I know EXACTLY what to expect in that regard. I buy a racing sim solely on the realism of the physics, and as I said I can't judge that with the two shite cars you get, and I can't justify the money of buying a proper car.
Quote from tristancliffe :You can think that if you like. But I only have two cars to play with, and neither are very good in my opinion, so I can't judge too much from it. I think it feels nice, but until I drive a racing car in it (and I can't afford that at the moment) I can't make a fair judgement. Maybe when I have more spare cash and more spare time, and more urge to race online I'll give it another go. Hopefully by then they'll have reduced the ridiculous subscription fees a bit too.

I know what online play is like. I don't need to try online play. Assuming that the netcode is at least as good as LFSs then I know EXACTLY what to expect in that regard. I buy a racing sim solely on the realism of the physics, and as I said I can't judge that with the two shite cars you get, and I can't justify the money of buying a proper car.

For me the experience is not EXACTLY like in LFS. It's different. And in a good way. For me personally, that is...
Quote from tristancliffe :You can think that if you like.

And you can honestly say that you don't think so?

It's a bit like saying you're disappointed with the functioning of that new power-drill you bought after plugging it in and laying it on your desk for 5 minutes without touching it, and then deciding that the extra drills for it won't be worth it.

No time spent in the sim (regardless of what you say and did offline) - no valid opinion.

I wonder what made you buy LFS when there were no race cars in the demo either.
Quote from tristancliffe :And? No, I never went online. I actually don't know how. And I don't understand all the rating bullshit. And I never understood the stuff on the HUD overlay either that I think has something to do with ratings.

Maybe its just bullshit because you didn't take the time to understand a few paragraphs that explain it. It's actually a pretty good system and works very well online. Generally the racing is of a great standard as a result of that.

Quote from tristancliffe :

Really simple to answer that one. It's geared toward online play rather than offline. To pay for a month then not try or read the fundamentals or try out the key functionality seems sad to me.....

Each to their own
Hey, give him a break, he hasn't given up on it, he just doesn't have the money for the other cars yet. Tristan, I'm sure you will like it in the open wheel cars, the physics are spot on IMO. Give it another go when you can, i'm sure you will like it
Quote from jasonmatthews :Hey, give him a break, he hasn't given up on it, he just doesn't have the money for the other cars yet. Tristan, I'm sure you will like it in the open wheel cars, the physics are spot on IMO. Give it another go when you can, i'm sure you will like it

I'm just being honest Jason. I only have the basic cars too remember
Hi Jason,

I'm struggling to decide whether to let my subscription expire or whether to go for the full year. I think I'd really like the Skip Barbers so if I went for the full year I'd probably use the credit to get the Skippy and the 2 tracks needed for the season. I've read mixed things about the Skippy though, although mainly positive. One of my concerns is that next season they'll rotate the tracks and I'll have to buy another 2 to be able to complete that season (and so on!) As another keen LFS single seater driver I'd appreciate your opinion. I know it's only day one but what are the numbers like in the Skippy at the moment?
I'm still hoping for an invite this week...

I'll give it a shot. I don't really have the time to invest to get the most out of the subscription if you compare it to other sim pricing structures, but it might just be good enough to drag me back to my wheel in the free time I do have.

Most of my driving in LFS is offline at the moment. I don't drive often enough to feel 'safe' in proper races, but maybe the safety rating system in iracing will at least work in my favour. When I'm off the pace in LFS, drivers seem to just drive through me, with no regard for racing etiquette or the consequence, and I get frustrated constantly being punted off. If drivers can't just wait 5 laps for another race, and vote for a restart the instant they screw up T1, maybe they'll work for the pass and give racing room rather than take the hotlap racing line no matter what. iracing sounds like it does well at this, with the safety rating, limited races and placing you with similarliy skilled drivers. Maybe races scheduled a little more frequently would be good, but this might come with more subscribers.

It's the pricing scheme that will take some getting used to. Even if you commit to the year and lay down $156, the content is still somewhat limited. Maybe it's just the mindset that needs to change....hell I pay close to that each month for a TV and internet cable package...but I just think $156 a year really should get you all available tracks and cars.
Quote from StableX :Really simple to answer that one. It's geared toward online play rather than offline. To pay for a month then not try or read the fundamentals or try out the key functionality seems sad to me.....

Ah, so the physics are different when playing online? He says that his primary interests in iRacing are the physics, so if they don't change online, then his points are completely valid...

Btw, I find it very ironic that someone has to defend oneself on the LfS-forum for cancelling the iRacing subscription... What next, attack me for daring not to jump the bandwagon yet?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG