The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
LOL, I'm unaware of anyone paying for Beta, but who knows.
No ones paying for the Beta. Where did you get that idea from?
I just guessed and started typing
Ah, rumors.
Quote from DarrenMarsh :So for the cost of 2 PS3/360 games you get a years driving in a global, ranked competition in a controlled environment with more accurate cars and tracks than anything else we've had so far.

Against how many other people? And are the cars and tracks better than anything else we've had so far or is that pure speculation?

Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I'm just getting more excited, not less!

Hype is supposed to make you do that. When was the last time a game beat - or even lived up to - its own hype?

I'm going to keep my cynic hat on until I've tried this thing for myself. I think it'll probably fall under "OK but not OK enough for the money".
Quote from thisnameistaken : I think it'll probably fall under "OK but not OK enough for the money".

That's just about sums up perfectly the feedback I'm getting so far.
"it's certainly good, but not worth what they are asking" to be exact.

Of course some people are going to cough up the cash, no matter what, probably including me in a year or so's time.
Quote from The Moose :Of course some people are going to cough up the cash, no matter what, probably including me in a year or so's time.

IMHO given sim-racing's multiplayer nature, a lot of the product's value is in its userbase. If the pricing turns off most racers then the product itself becomes devalued, regardless of how good it is.

Maybe it will sustain itself on oval fans (given what a killer sim they all thought NR2003 was [I've never tried it myself and I'm not an oval fan]), but I think with the launch content they've got and the money they're asking it might turn out to be a very difficult sell to the wider market.
Quote from The Moose :No ones paying for the Beta. Where did you get that idea from?

Actually, lots of people are - I guess you're just not in the right circles
edit: I thought he said "playing", not "paying"

Last I heard was a 45+ player race that had ZERO lag / warping (!!!), of which 12 players finished and my source finished 7th. Last I also heard was that the tires were night unto perfect at first glance, and the graphics were very very good. It is in fact beginning to look like 5 years of millions of dollars with the right focus does in fact make a difference.

Quote from DeadWolfBones :Ah, rumors.

Indeed, but people playing the thing isn't rumours; it's fact.

Quote from thisnameistaken :IMHO given sim-racing's multiplayer nature, a lot of the product's value is in its userbase. If the pricing turns off most racers then the product itself becomes devalued, regardless of how good it is........Maybe it will sustain itself on oval fans (given what a killer sim they all thought NR2003 was [I've never tried it myself and I'm not an oval fan]), but I think with the launch content they've got and the money they're asking it might turn out to be a very difficult sell to the wider market.

Heh, might seem so, and might be. Remains to be seen. All I've heard so far, even from the eurofellows is that they love Leguna Seca and that the tires are night unto perfect, the sounds are great even being sample, the graphics are great and the netcode is unheard of. You take your suspicion, and I'll take my informed facts from testing . No offence intended, I'm just stated facts.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :
Last I heard was a 45+ player race that had ZERO lag / warping (!!!), of which 12 players finished and my source finished 7th.

Why did only 12 finish? Does it mean there is proper damage? Or did they just run out of fuel?
Quote :
All I've heard so far, even from the eurofellows is that they love Leguna Seca

Who doesn't like Laguna Seca?
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Indeed, but people playing the thing isn't rumours; it's fact.

Oh, you don't need to tell me.

:shhh:

edit: pretty sure you've been misinformed re: at least one of your statements in that post, though.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Oh, you don't need to tell me.

edit: pretty sure you've been misinformed re: at least one of your statements in that post, though.

Indeed, there is a HELL of a lot of misinformation here....

Paying for betas?, hmm........the rumour mill is in full swing, but I guess they say, theres no such thing as bad publicity.

Also, don't forget the ironic fact that we all here are paying alpha users

People who personally haven't had "contact" with the sim, regardless of "what my mate down the pub said", can't really say anything about the sim.

You all really need to wait for the NDA to be lifted, I am sure all will be revealed then.
If iRacing is too realistic surely it's only going to be advertising to a few hardcore simmers, and that won't be enough to satisfy their need regarding income.

Their pricing scheme doesn't reflect the market. It just hasn't developed enough.

Also will iRacing have an online data analysis software like we have just had with LFS??? It really is stellar work from the LFS devs to keep this development in all areas up.

Anyway it can't be long now until we get to try this $Racing
All things aside, you have to give the iRacing some credit for having the balls to put the pricing scheme as it is looking to be. Simracing world is not as big as the RPG one, and imo if they get around 40 000 ppl to get involved in there on a regular basis it is going to be a success for them. Afterall it is "meant" to be serious sim, and i cant imagine some 13 y old kids to have some real interest in it. But it all speculating, i am eager to see how it is going to be like, but at the back of my head something smells real bad. But kudos to them for having the balls.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Actually, lots of people are - I guess you're just not in the right circles

I know three people testing and none of them are paying for it.
The e-mail inviting me to beta testing didn't mention payment.
Is paying to beta test a good thing?

Quite frankly i don't believe it. I'm not sure your in the right circles tbh.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :You take your suspicion, and I'll take my informed facts from testing . No offence intended, I'm just stated facts.

I hadn't realised that third-party opinions were now considered facts - sorry.
Quote from The Moose :I know three people testing and none of them are paying for it.

Well, some people are stupid enough to pay for a game that's still in alpha stage.
Quote from petrewitz :You are lucky to have it. I personaly can't find any for acceptable price ( less than 1000$ for 19''). I have been told that NEC, who did them not so pricey, no more produce them. Keep in mind that even S-IPS panel may have a special "game" or "entertainment" modes and will show the most weird and oversaturated picture it capable when within those modes.

I am actually in the third round of buy>return circle with TN and PVA panels amd just can't believe that displays may be so crap in regard of color rendition.

My acquaintance bought a dozen CRT Trinitron displays in 2004. I thought he is insane that time. How wrong I was. He sold the last one for seven time more from their original price recently due to fact many artists and disigners prefer CRT Trinitron over even good S-IPS.

Mine are 20.1" HP LP2065 before they did the bait and switch. They're good enough for me - I just use them for software dev. hmmm... I happen to have a nice 19" trinitron monitor here I'll sell you for $1000+shipping lol.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Oh, you don't need to tell me.

Most thing are subjective, tires and netcode really isn't I don't think.

Quote from Intrepid :If iRacing is too realistic surely it's only going to be advertising to a few hardcore simmers, and that won't be enough to satisfy their need regarding income.

If you'd spent the large market research budget I might be inclined to beleive you. We have no idea what their financial goals are anyway in terms of payback etc

Quote from The Moose :I know three people testing and none of them are paying for it.

Quite frankly i don't believe it. I'm not sure your in the right circles tbh.

That's the point, I was saying that I didn't know anyone paying for it. Or were you talking to Hyper?\

edit: nevermind, I read back and noticed that I thought the word "paying" was "playing" in my post above - I'll go and fix that.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Most thing are subjective, tires and netcode really isn't I don't think.

Wasn't what I was talking about, though.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I hadn't realised that third-party opinions were now considered facts - sorry.

scroooo yoooooo!

(j/k)
Haven't you got some creators that need worshipping?
This better be a hell of a simulator for that kind of money. It's going to be a huge failure.

The sim racing community is not nearly big enough to make any profit like they expect to make.
40 peoples in their team. That's a starcraft 2 size team.

With a raw estimation I would say they need something like a 15 000 / 20 000 permanent userbase just to stay alive after having recovered their pre-gold release devellopement cost.

That's going to be tough with such pricing even if the game end up to be the graal of sim racing.
Quote from petrewitz :The hardware calibrator corrects this quite well but my problem is only one display connected to a pc can be calibrated with the calibrator

then its not a hardware calibration
a hardware calibrateable monitor will store the calibration in the monitor and not in the colour profiles windows uses
it does since windows afaik cant use different profiles for each monitor whereas using a linear profile with the monitor doing all the necessary corrections on its own will give you the same colour across all of the monitors you connect
trouble is hardware calibrateable monitors are as youve said prohbitively expensive unless youre using the to do print work
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG