The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
The service is designed to be fully scalable, so in time we'll be able to accommodate literally hundreds of thousands of members

http://iracing.com/news.htm

Are they serious or is this just PR bs? That would be a good number for a SimBin title. That's just seriously unrealistic estimation.
I played GP4 online quite often, and the setup was very easy for my Saitek R440....

The weather was dynamic, it could start sunny and start raining halfway through a race
Quote from deggis :The service is designed to be fully scalable, so in time we'll be able to accommodate literally hundreds of thousands of members

Made me chuckle. Highly optimistic.
That's every sim racer on the planet then.

Ohh, of course they aren't targeting sim racers though are they. It's a training tool for racers.

Just keep the hype machine rolling fellas.

(btw, latest leaking news. The physics are "quite good", the FF is "okay" and the web browser interface is "the crappiest way of doing things" according to my source. Those of you who know someone involved in testing please let us hear their thoughts so far.)

And on the subject of GP4... The dynamic weather was fantastic, and why no-one has come close to achieving anything near that since is a mystery. It smells of lazy developers to me.
The colours don't bother me when I play games, I am too busy playing to pay attention. But if I make videos I will reduce the contrast and saturation a bit to get a more realistic look, thats if I am doing realistic looking footage, otherwise I just stylise the shit out of it.
Quote :
People often complains about colors and just don't realize that the problem have a source in their LSD displays. Try a color calibrator hardware (spyder or eye-one). They are not that expensive now and very simple to use. First thing you would notice after display calibration is your colors, especialy greens and blue which become a lot more moderate. Sometimes the difference is absolutelly fantastic. The era of accurate colors had gone together with CRT displays. Now days display producers learnt a lesson: many people will buy the most oversaturated and overbrighted display from what they see in a store.

I'm no computer graphics expert, but I don't agree with that.

The videos are side by side. One displays vibrant graphics - the other, a real video, shows brownish colors. The display is obviously capable of rendering those colors otherwise the real video would show up oversaturated as well, right?

I think this is also a case of the poor quality of the onboard camera. All of my onboard videos taken with a bullet camera look much darker and less vibrant than the real world.
Quote from The Moose :(btw, latest leaking news. The physics are "quite good", the FF is "okay" and the web browser interface is "the crappiest way of doing things" according to my source. Those of you who know someone involved in testing please let us hear their thoughts so far.)

Hm I think I have a LFSF valid argument: "It still in Beta!"

On a serious note though, I have heard very good things so far except for some interface bugs that need working out. One of the resident physics gurus "can't find anything wrong" with the tyre physics so far.

But Stu won't like iRacing no matter what because it's (more) expensive than anything else
Jeff, if you pay my subscription for a year, I'll play it. I just don't want to haffto take a mortgage out on a freaking laptop to pay for it
Quote from petrewitz :LSD matrix.

I think I was there about 10 years ago

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Jeff, if you pay my subscription for a year, I'll play it. I just don't want to haffto take a mortgage out on a freaking laptop to pay for it

Typical British Columbian!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :But Stu won't like iRacing no matter what because it's (more) expensive than anything else

Not at all, i want it to be the best thing ever in sim racing.
But for the price they are charging it needs to be.

From what I'm hearing so far (and yes, I'm fully aware its only in Beta ) it doesn't justify the price. That's not to say its bad at all, it's just not got the WOW factor that justifies shelling out several hundred dollars a year. YET
Quote from The Moose :Not at all, i want it to be the best thing ever in sim racing.
But for the price they are charging it needs to be.

From what I'm hearing so far (and yes, I'm fully aware its only in Beta ) it doesn't justify the price. That's not to say its bad at all, it's just not got the WOW factor that justifies shelling out several hundred dollars a year. YET

Fair enough.

Several hundred? 1.5 hundreds in Canada, so that should be about 10 pounds stirling or so?
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Fair enough.

Several hundred? 1.5 hundreds in Canada, so that should be about 10 pounds stirling or so?

Several as in a couple of hundred dollars +

Whatever per month +tracks ($15-$25 a pop) and cars ($15 each)
Quote from Technique :I think this is also a case of the poor quality of the onboard camera.

in this case its completely the cameras fault with the whiteness of the cars paint forcing it to tone its dynamic range (which im pretty sure is complete rubbish to begin with) further into the whites
im really starting to wonder if these guys have ever spent a day outside in the sun... the real world absolutely is not brown

looking at pictures taken at lime rock by people who are intellectually capable of figuring out how the aperture has to be set to get good pictures will tell you that the place is neither borwn nor oversaturated (assuming you have a monitor thats even remotely close to correctly calibrated)
Quote from The Moose :Several as in a couple of hundred dollars +

Whatever per month +tracks ($15-$25 a pop) and cars ($15 each)

Yes I suppose that's true if you're looking to get all of the content right off the bat, which isn't necessary to get started though.
Quote from petrewitz :Does the grass on WinXP standard screen seems a way too bright green to you? If yes you definitely need a calibrator.

Nope, but I have expensive S-IPS panels
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Yes I suppose that's true if you're looking to get all of the content right off the bat, which isn't necessary to get started though.

Based on a 3 monthly subscription that's still $204 a year with the default content. (half of which is oval related, which isn't going to appeal to a whole lot of people on this side of the pond)

I'm still having difficulty seeing the value for money here.
And based on a 12 month subscription it's $156 (80 pounds), plus $60 credit towards extra cars and tracks.

So for the cost of 2 PS3/360 games you get a years driving in a global, ranked competition in a controlled environment with more accurate cars and tracks than anything else we've had so far.
Hopefully they will fail at building a sufficient community to pay their bill and will change their princing policy.

The size of the community is an important factor in one's decision to subscribe to such a game. With a game like LFS the community increase continuously since nobody really gets out. You can always put the game aside and come back later.

Here, even if there's enough potential players ready to pay the price, they probably won't get in at the same time and will all experience a game with a too small community to be interesting. Eventually they'll get out leaving the game as a "month trial and goodbye"!

And well, let's face it, if the online part is not satisfying for this reason at least, this game is going to be hacked to death for its solo part.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo : Typical British Columbian!

Hey, someone's gotta be sane here, without us BC'ers, the forum would implode due to stupidity.
Quote from Maelstrom :Hopefully they will fail at building a sufficient community to pay their bill and will change their princing policy.

The size of the community is an important factor in one's decision to subscribe to such a game. With a game like LFS the community increase continuously since nobody really gets out. You can always put the game aside and come back later.

Here, even if there's enough potential players ready to pay the price, they probably won't get in at the same time and will all experience a game with a too small community to be interesting. Eventually they'll get out leaving the game as a "month trial and goodbye"!

And well, let's face it, if the online part is not satisfying for this reason at least, this game is going to be hacked to death for its solo part.

You really, REALLY need to wait till the NDA is lifted, then you can make some INFORMED judgements about it.
^^ what he said. I'm just getting more excited, not less!
Well, if it is what they call "rolling launch", so one might ask if this beta thing actually costs money. Heh, pay to test some beta. Could be worse, poor souls. Or is it like real beta you don't need to pay for?

Who said a beta had to be free? We're all paying members of an alpha product. If a product in a beta state isn't ready to be publically distributed to paying customers then it doesn't say a lot about the finished product.
Maybe iracing too are aiming for 3 year beta phase?

()

---
Seriously speaking paying to play for closed beta is really something I'd never really be interested of doing. Naturally there are people who will pay for practically anything but still the whole beta business feels like those phone calls you get (telemarketing). "You have been specifically chosen (low iq) to recieve this phonecall. You may have just won gazillion dollars. Now, if you order the Guns&sheep magazine you will be entered into a draw where you can win gazillion...".

Maybe the rumours about the iracing beta tester amounts have been true, maybe they don't really have that many beta testers so they simply need more people. And if you get those extra people to pay to get to test. It feels more like they just want to make sure they have enough people racing when the sim is properly released.
Hyper, I don't get what you're on about? And why you seem to be pissed off and using lots of sarcastic winks?

I'm not pissed at all . It just feels a bit strange that iracing starts with paid beta. Surely the rolling launch was expected and known but paid beta...

As for smileys, just went a bit overboard with the LFS remarks (buy one, get another for free)
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG