The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from deggis :Because it's obviously question about prestige. Ironic that possibly most of the best tracks in the world right now comes from 'Murica, from the promised land of turning left...

ps. Lime Rock is being repaved right now... And some chicanes will be added See PDF

-

There are some very nice tracks from the otherside of the pond, some of which are right at home in a list of 20 or so tracks for the ultimate racing simulator, having said that just like in Europe the majority are average and especially the American rovals are really boring tracks.

Quote from Intrepid :times aren't a bar for realism. i could make a car and track for rFactor and get them roughly running the right times...

Sim times should be seconds a lap different (usually faster) than real times because setup/testing is limited IRL where in the sim you've got ages to perfect them, one can also drive much harder in a sim knowing there are no risks and also important are physics elements that aren't simulated, chassis flex, track surface (including dirt and oil laid down onto it), properly variable winds and micro climates, very limited engine simulation that naturally tends to choose the most powerful figures anybody can produce for a car regardless of whether they're accurate, same story for every other element of the car the fastest result is nearly always chosen
Quote :
These early adopters will need to accept that some tweaks may be necessary as the service gets into full swing and improvements implemented. Content such as a racing school and private league support simply won't be available and iRacing dollar prizes may not have been implemented.

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=316860

I've just seen this rather bizarre thread on the RSC forum which says private league support won't be available when iRacing is released, which clearly seems to suggest they won't allow conventional closed online racing that's disconnected from their servers, like every sim currently does except for LFS.
Quote from TonyRickard :Wrecks will happen and for some there will be a bad run when they are part of someone else's accident. However, over time these should even out and those that frequently cause the shunts will take the greatest hit.

Oh dear! I've spotted where iRacing is going to tumble on its ass.. the iRating. I remember when (IIRC it was) the CRC introduced a pretty smart collision detection system that calculated velocities and apportioned blame to those involved, and at the end of that it was absolutely clear that there is no possible way to automate the process of marshalling. It has to be done manually. The iRating system, apparently, is working off a velocity-loaded penalty system. This WILL NOT work. Fortunately, anyone whose stats and iRating is unfairly harmed by the actions/inactions of others will at least have easy access to the appeals procedure, so they're not wasting their money being shafted.
Quote from TonyRickard :I do hope the appeal system won't be too accessible but only available in extreme circumstances so that frivolous claims are penalised.

Oh dear.. borked.
This TonyRickard doesn't have anything do with the dev team, or does he?
I hadn't read the rest of that thread but taking a look at some of his posts it seems like he is spokesperson for the iRacing arse covering department.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Conversation with a friend (and extremely quick LFS driver) who got to try iRacing at a recent trackday:

<quote>

Take it for what it's worth.

edit: and FWIW, the times for last year's Star Mazda field at VIR ranged from 1:47.5 to 1:56.0 in race trim, so that's in the right ballpark.

A friend has it. So it is the opinion based on a short test on friend's PC. You know how we treat people who test stuff on "friend's PC"?

:bananadea

---
EDIT: and if you want to know what the position of the TonyRickard is, why not ask him instead of speculating about it on another forum?
Ahaha.

I'll be sure to get you a more detailed impression once beta starts up.
What i'm most interested in is what LFS lacks currently. If it doesn't have changing track conditions (oil, water and dirt), weather, broken bumpers and radiators, dynamic time and temperatures, it can't possibly justify the continuing fees imo.

iRacing would have to be Shockingly good to even make me think about subscribing.

Sound is nice, but the content has to be deep, really deep, to justify the price.
Quote from srdsprinter :What i'm most interested in is what LFS lacks currently. If it doesn't have changing track conditions (oil, water and dirt), weather, broken bumpers and radiators, dynamic time and temperatures, it can't possibly justify the continuing fees imo.

Given that we haven't heard anything about said features my guess is that there's no major part piece on top of N2003. I think a lot of people are still waiting for the first proper sim that does dynamic wet weather and really the more I think about it it does seem like the first big thing the Devs should focus on, IMO sim racers will jump at physics/gameplay over graphics and content for the sake of it anyday.
Word on the street is that the beta starts next week sometime.

How much is that going to cost?
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
156 dollars a yeah comming whos joke is this

Those guys are crazy

i dont see the special part in this
Quote from danowat :Indeed..........

Intresting ilegal activaty ? underground gaming exciting!
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Intresting ilegal activaty ? underground gaming exciting!

Of course not, nothing illegal at all
Quote from danowat :Of course not, nothing illegal at all

Thats a relief then

Buts stil the price is ridicculous
I dug out my old copy of Nascar Racing 2003 Season today, and the online racing is kind of ok. One problem I found was the most popular server was run by morons, they kicked me instead of lapping me, despite me giving them a lot of room. Thats after I was spun out from 4th on the formation lap and fought back to 12th out of 22, after being 10 seconds behind the pack in last place when the green flag dropped. But the netcode still works well to this day, the physics are not great and the mods are hard to find. I might just sell it on ebay for £2000 or something.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I dug out my old copy of Nascar Racing 2003 Season today, and the online racing is kind of ok. One problem I found was the most popular server was run by morons, they kicked me instead of lapping me, despite me giving them a lot of room. Thats after I was spun out from 4th on the formation lap and fought back to 12th out of 22, after being 10 seconds behind the pack in last place when the green flag dropped. But the netcode still works well to this day, the physics are not great and the mods are hard to find. I might just sell it on ebay for £2000 or something.

I got it recently and have found some good mods, including the car of tomorrow mod, I'll post the links if you want, but will have to wait till after the weekend as I'm currently in the Isle od Lewis, the fact that they have the internet is a shock it's self.
Quote from ajp71 : I think a lot of people are still waiting for the first proper sim that does dynamic wet weather ...

Grand Prix 4.
I think ajp meant a game that will do it well. GP4's wet weather looked great and it was good to see track conditions change but it was absolutely awful to drive in the wet. That game would have been good had the physics been at least a bit realistic.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Grand Prix 4.

IIRC GP4 did no dynamic weather. It did look very pretty in the wet but that was about it. It was never a serious sim contender due to the lack of online play, difficulty to set controls up and to get it running at the right speed, underneath all that the physics were decent for the time but not up to current standards.

rF can currently do fairly convincing wet weather as a graphical update on a low grip surface, which is fun but doesn't have the full challenge of changing weather.
It seemed pretty dynamic to me. Could we wet on one side of the track and dry at another. Some parts could have a dry line (I think it was even based on where you drove, not a fixed line!), others could be soaking, and others could be bone dry.

All at once!!!

The rain was EASILY the best part of GP4. I used to only bother racing in the rain because the dry physics were too disappointing.
Yeah it was dynamic and yeah it was the only redeeming point of the game. Raining on one part of the track but not the other and dynamic drying lines. Absolutely brilliant. The rest of it was fairly poor, but it was the first and it was 7 years ago.

I might reinstally it on my new PC - I presume a 3 Ghz dual core, 1600 FSB, DDR 3 memory and 768mb GFX might actually get the bloody thing to run without going all slo-mo on me.
Well I guess GP3 was the first really, I loved racing in the wet or setting the weather to have about 50% chance of rain so that the track would get wetter or drier over time. I think one day iRacing (and LFS) will have wet-weather racing but I can bet that it won't be until they create a system that eclipses all previous efforts at dynamic weather.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG