The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I changed my mind on the dropped wheels now that I know how the system works. If they removed the 1x, it would unbalance the whole system and if it were re-balanced to take the lack of 1x penalties into account it would be too punishing of crashes and contact.
on the whole the SR system is ok, yeah the 1X for dropping a wheel is anoying but if you think of it as incident points being the same as real world money then it doesn't matter who's fault a crash was, every driver still has to pay to repair their car.

eg gills4life lost some SR when the backmarker had brain fade but in real life he'd have had to get his car repaired and in the future he'll be cautious around other backmarkers (if a driver is that far behind in a rookie race then you have to think about his driving standard though it may well be that he had damage to his suspension etc and wasn't totally in control) personally on a last lap with a 2 1/2 second lead, unless the backmarker was real slow, i'd be thinking if i needed to pass him or could i run at his pace and still win
Quote from JeffR :I guess this stops at "pro" level though, where I assume there's some minimal iRating requirement?

Drivers are picked for Pro based on their iRating and SR, its a 70/30 split so SR is not as important, but it still helps to have it as high as possible. I'm currently rated above many faster guys just because of my high SR.
Quote from JeffR :This is one case where the option of turning collision off in such situations might be a good idea, even if it's not realistic. Some arcade type racing games do this

Which planet are you on?

Quote from UncleBenny :Drivers are picked for Pro based on their iRating and SR, its a 70/30 split so SR is not as important, but it still helps to have it as high as possible. I'm currently rated above many faster guys just because of my high SR.

I have found SR to be very important as it is the biggest leveler in the overall standings. For instance drivers with 3xxx irating are mixed in with 4xxx & 5xxx rated drivers purely because of the difference in SR. I dont think this is right as any 3xxx drivers are just gona get their asses handed to them if they make it to Pro.

I'm not sure what they can do to improve it but the current system favors those who have been iRacing the longest.
Quote from anttt69 :I have found SR to be very important as it is the biggest leveler in the overall standings. For instance drivers with 3xxx irating are mixed in with 4xxx & 5xxx rated drivers purely because of the difference in SR. I dont think this is right as any 3xxx drivers are just gona get their asses handed to them if they make it to Pro.

I'm not sure what they can do to improve it but the current system favors those who have been iRacing the longest.

My goal is to make Pro next season(I was up to 215ish on the oval side last week), and I will hopefully be one of those 3xxx drivers getting my ass handed to me.
Ahhh Remembered that I still have 3 months subscription so played iRacing today a bit. The worst thing is that you can't race on your favourite track whenever you want. Because I've bought my subsrcibtion with Jetta TDi and Road Atlanta and thought that I will be able to race in jettas if I get Class D, but unfortunately I didn't get it in time, so now I have to wait for another season to race in tracks that I have and that really sucks :/
Quote from iFastLT :so now I have to wait for another season to race in tracks that I have and that really sucks :/

Nope, they have the "fast track" system in place now. Get your SR up and your 4 rookie races in, and you'll get promoted automatically to D. No more waiting until the end of a season.
Quote from UncleBenny :Nope, they have the "fast track" system in place now. Get your SR up and your 4 rookie races in, and you'll get promoted automatically to D. No more waiting until the end of a season.

I think the problem is he don't own all the tracks in schedule and must wait. That sucks but thats how it works

Oh and good luck achieving your PRO license!
Ah yeah I see now, thought he was just referring to the license. Also, thanks, I'll likely get killed up there but I'm up for the challenge for sure.
Quote from iFastLT :Ahhh Remembered that I still have 3 months subscription so played iRacing today a bit. The worst thing is that you can't race on your favourite track whenever you want. Because I've bought my subsrcibtion with Jetta TDi and Road Atlanta and thought that I will be able to race in jettas if I get Class D, but unfortunately I didn't get it in time, so now I have to wait for another season to race in tracks that I have and that really sucks :/

if you do just a few races and get your Safety Rating (SR) up to above 4.0 you automatically get your license upgraded to Class D at any time.
Quote from StableX :if you do just a few races and get your Safety Rating (SR) up to above 4.0 you automatically get your license upgraded to Class D at any time.

Wouldn't say just a few races I've already done ~9 races, and my SR is bellow 3.00 and I didn't have many accidents
Quote from iFastLT :Wouldn't say just a few races I've already done ~9 races, and my SR is bellow 3.00 and I didn't have many accidents

well, make sure to qualify, do some time trials (do the whole 30 minutes!) and be absolutely clean!

Remember, more important to be clean ....
People will advance at different rates, especially new racers. It's all based on average incidents per corner, and it takes over 1600 past corners into account.

I had a string there where I would only advance .08 or .10 per race, with a couple 1xs per race. But then I had 1 completely clean race, and my rating shot up .55.

So since it's an average, if you come out of the gate very safe with no incidents, you could be a D in just a couple races. I went to D in like 3 or 4 (I was very slow, so I let people by), then I started getting fast and racing people and I slowed right down in my progression because incidents naturally started to happen more often.

What I'm trying to say is it's hard to compare different individuals' safety rating, since everyone accrues incidents at different rates - some have a string of clean races and then one really disastrous one, and some people have a string of light incidents that add up over time. This affects your gains and losses in very different ways, especially across license levels.
I just won my second race with the solstice. Didn't bother qualifying, just jumped straight in and won it by over 7 seconds. Got me +0.10 SR. Lovely!
LFS racers dominate wathever sim they put in front of us
Couple WIP shots of Zandvoort, posted today by Greg Hill
Also, picture of Ford V8 posted by John Hughes
Attached images
zandvoort_011210_1.jpg
zandvoort_011210_2.jpg
zandvoort_011210_3.jpg
fordv8sc_beauty.jpg
Looks like a pretty sweet track.
It's got holes in it....
Quote from tiagolapa :LFS racers dominate wathever sim they put in front of us

Not me, lol. 20-something starts and no wins yet... almost had a win tonight at Lime Rock but I spun it with 2 corners to go and finished 2nd with a crumpled nose.

Most of the time I'm finishing 4th-7th. Sigh.

I've been trying the Radical more seriously tonight, now that my safety rating is high enough. It's impossible to drive at Lime Rock. I always spin it and wreck in the last corner because of that bump.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for sim racing. I feel like I'm blind without my butt moving around. My arse is a precision instrument darn it!
You need to finish turning at the apex of that downhill @ Lime Rock. Turn in early and hard, and be unwinding the wheel from the apex onward. If the rear end is still loaded over that bump, you're in trouble.
Quote from PMD9409 :It's 40% complete, give them a break.

I was trying to be funny. I failed miserably.
Ford Mustang is on the way..sometime in the future..
Attached images
fr500s_1.jpg
fr500s_2.jpg
fr500s_3.jpg
Quote from Crommi :Also, picture of Ford V8 posted by John Hughes

The Ford Falcon makes me really want the Holden Commodore in the game too.
Quote from UncleBenny :The Ford Falcon makes me really want the Holden Commodore in the game too.

yeah, doesn't seem right to have the Falcon and no Holden. However, isn't sebring owned by Panos, that's owned by GM who owns Holden?

A slim relationship already within iRacing
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG