The online racing simulator
TEST Patch W25 (compatible with W17)
(151 posts, closed, started )
Quote from chp101 :Now that's complicated! Why disregard user settings?
If DDS is way faster in terms of loading times (no conversion) and GFX-memory (FPS), why not to quit all that mambo-jumbo with conversions, options / rules and just switch to DDS?
Price for "hi-res textures" is not final, so raise it to cover that +20% size of DDS on your servers.
Or ever better - quit that skin storing, let players send/receive their skins between themselves (automatically, when connected to server).
Just make an option to store skinks into SPR or MPR.

:twocents:

You need to think between the lines here, you have already answered you first question if you do. Why do you think Scawen & the dev's are going this way, I can't help but think that there is a bigger picture at play here.
Remember this is a test patch and with it comes the ability to download Hi-Res skins. Now what if DDS was to become the normal skin format. Think of the possibilities with skin layering and effects that DDS allow. But for now Scawen needs to adapt his future plans into the constraints with the game engine as it is today and see if it works and is feasible.

As for your second point, players swapping skins between themselves, it won't happen for obvious reasons that have already been answered in many other threads, it is do with content censorship, they can't allow the transfer of political & ethically sensitive material.

We as early adopters who use the test patch need to keep an open mind and go with the flow and enjoy the journey and above all be thankful that Scawen allows us to be a part of the LFS development plans. With that in mind we should also be mindful of what we put into this part of the forum, it needs to be constructive & relevant.
Man W24 is great! Can't wait for patch X.
I think I found a bug in W24, I was on one of the south city courses. When a follow racer sent me a setup up since I didn't have one for the reverse of the track. After he sent it, I named and saved it. Then my inputs for Gas/Brake no longer worked. All the other buttons on my XBox 360 controller worked fine. Just the two triggers for gas and brake no longer did. When I went to control setup in LFS and move the sticks and hit the buttons and pulled the triggers a few times then they started working again. But everything stopped right after I saved a setup I was sent.
I think the new exit menu explanations are/look just silly... IMHO

Basically I go with what DoN said above...
Quote from Don :Do you really insist on the key shortcuts to be displayed in the ESC menu? IMHO, it will never look better with the shortcuts displayed there. It just looks much better and simpler without them. And my guess is, that people who`d use key shortcuts, are a bit of "pc geeks", so they`d read those shortcuts in keys.pdf - and for the "noobs", i guess they can just press ESC and click - its not that much work for them

Or maybe the best idea would be to add those key shortcuts into the list of reserved keys? that list needs update anyway (missing things like shift+u, F9, F10, F11, F12 etc...also, there is still the old replay speedup/slodown key shortcut SHIFT+F2/F3 [now its just F2/F3])

I'd prefer an option to have the shortcuts shown in the menus, as some other applications offer. It's the best of both worlds, when you need them, you can toggle them on. After you learn them, you can toggle them off. Then when you forget after you've had a dozen shots, you can toggle them back on..
Just found that 160FOV is not availible in Shift U. Is that supposed to be the case?
Quote from flinty72 :Scawen, I think I have found a bug with test patch W23. I am pretty sure I haven't seen it mentioned before and I hadn't noticed it prior.
Occurred during a recent league race in which after I pitted all the tyre/skid marks disappeared and starting afresh.
I do know that the other racers online were not affected with this at the time, so it was only seen by me locally. It can be clearly seen from the replay, which I have showed with the following screen shots.

nice tarmac of kyoto, do you have a link?
Best lap time display
I just noticed that the "best lap" line of the HUD has disappeared.

I don't get it, why removing it ? I think it was useful to have your best time displayed
With it, I could know in just one glance if a player was quick or slow.
Quote from chanoman315 :nice tarmac of kyoto, do you have a link?

chanoman315, you will find them all here: http://www.lfs-database.com/
The Kyoto textures are under the downloads/textures/tracks/kyoto section.
I am pretty sure mine are from the Kyoto Reworked files by KR|M.Kretschmar. But it could also have been from the others done by Electrik Kar. I can't actually remember.
Quote from Ricou :I just noticed that the "best lap" line of the HUD has disappeared.

I don't get it, why removing it ? I think it was useful to have your best time displayed
With it, I could know in just one glance if a player was quick or slow.

It took me some time to find the possible reason.....
Quote from hackerx :Any particular reason why total elapsed time isn't displayed any more?

Quote from Scawen :Yes, it was a waste of space. I got fed up seeing so many times at the top right - it was four and now it's down to 2. Total time is now only displayed now when relevant, e.g. in a time based race.

Yes, I liked Best Time onscreen to (edit: i think i just changed my mind)... However you can still see your Best Lap Time when you press CTRL+SHIFT...:hihi:

---------
Thanks Scawen for explaining the mumbo-jumbo about "Car and helmet skins" options in regards to the new changes/improvements. Much appreciated.
Quote from flinty72 :As for your second point, players swapping skins between themselves, it won't happen for obvious reasons that have already been answered in many other threads, it is do with content censorship, they can't allow the transfer of political & ethically sensitive material.

It's not that hard to do both. First send skins to LFS server (like it's done now), and then just controll the transfers with checksums. And if the user doesn't want to send the skins from his own computer, skin could be downloaded from the LFS server. That's one solution for the problem. But this is going off topic and resembles (well masked ) feature request.
Quote from Scawen :I was originally intending to get X out on Friday 25th.

But we want it to be on the new servers, due to the increased bandwidth due to website visiting and downloading as always with a new patch and the new skins system must be well supported, but Victor's having some issues at the moment with the new boxes, hopefully to be resolved in a reasonable amount of time. Not only that but some of the remaining bugs I've been solving, like SPR OOS bugs and other weird bugs, sometimes take nearly a day each to figure out and fix - quite boring work but it's got to be done.

So the current plan is for patch X to be released on 1st of June, that will give me enough time to get it properly stable and for the community to give it a good test and hopefully our website will be fully moved by then and running on our new hardware.

Just so you can start counting back the days.
i do not understand whay u changed go to pit button shift + s to shift + p its not comfortable to push it now. I have a sugestio to make a changabe buttons for turn lights.
the shift+s and shift+p is a bit odd if you are used to the old ones. it should be editable by each user anyway...
I am using W23 at this point.
I was driving hotlaps on SO4. I hit p to pause the game. I hit shift+R to go to the replay. LFS is still responsive, but no replay is playing and the screen is blank other than the blue-ish background. I can hit escape to bring up the menu. If I hit shift+R again and I get a message of replay restarted and an error message... I now can't remember the error message

Using the escape menu, you can go to the pits or whatever else you need, but the replay won't play.
Quote from Hallen :...I hit shift+R to go to the replay...

eehm Shift+R never ever started the replay?
Quote from Hallen :I am using W23 at this point.
I was driving hotlaps on SO4. I hit p to pause the game. I hit shift+R to go to the replay. LFS is still responsive, but no replay is playing and the screen is blank other than the blue-ish background. I can hit escape to bring up the menu. If I hit shift+R again and I get a message of replay restarted and an error message... I now can't remember the error message

Using the escape menu, you can go to the pits or whatever else you need, but the replay won't play.

I have had this problem too in hotlaps mode... you just have to hit "P" again to "stop" the pause
I tried hitting P to restart. It didn't seem to work for me. I will try it again tonight.
It's a bug which is not not just appearing with W24 but just today it happend with W24 again. When I start LFS the whole screen is covered like normaly it is but the mouse or anything else isn't acting in LFS but it does in Windows in the background. The bad thing is that I don't see what I do there in the back and it is very hard to get the LFS screen away. Ctlr+Alt+Del does open the TaskManager, but in the back. Most of the times I come back into LFS with Alt+Tab but this takes sometimes quite a while when I have a lot of stuff open.
It's not reproducible. It happens from time to time.
Quote from tomylee :It's a bug which is not not just appearing with W24 but just today it happend with W24 again. When I start LFS the whole screen is covered like normaly it is but the mouse or anything else isn't acting in LFS but it does in Windows in the background. The bad thing is that I don't see what I do there in the back and it is very hard to get the LFS screen away. Ctlr+Alt+Del does open the TaskManager, but in the back. Most of the times I come back into LFS with Alt+Tab but this takes sometimes quite a while when I have a lot of stuff open.
It's not reproducible. It happens from time to time.

Yep. Happens alot to me since about Patch V or so. I can reproduce it most of the time. When I run LFS from Windows, if I quickly switch to another task by clicking on another application BEFORE LFS opens, then LFS opens and displays BUT MS Windows is still the focus, as you can see WINDOWS flickering in the background even though LFS is taking over the whole screen. You have to use ALT-TAB a few times to switch to another application and hopefully LFS self minimises, making everything work again. You sort of get stuck in purgatory between LFS and windows. It's frustrating and I dunno if it's a windows thing or a LFS bug. I avoid it by NOT clicking anything after starting LFS, AND I wait until LFS in fully loaded and is the focus application before trying to switch to another task. It happens to me because I am impatient. I always try to open CSR (to use backfires) in the few seconds it takes to open LFS. Hope this helps you.
It's probably a windows thing, as I've got that before with LFS and also PES6...
where can i change that go to pit button?
Quote from mxpxun :where can i change that go to pit button?

You can't change it from being shift+p but you can change it another way by assigning it to any one of the configurable keys (F1-F8 / Alt+F1-F12 or Ctrl+F1-F12) by simply typing /shift+p into the keyboard command side of that configurable key in the controls menu.

So if you assign it to just a single function key it will only require one key press, or the other way will require two keys pressed for a ALT or CTRL + function key assignment. CTRL+1 is very ergonomic.

You can then assign that function key to one of your wheel buttons if you so choose.
the text command is :

/shift P

not

/shift+p
This thread is closed

TEST Patch W25 (compatible with W17)
(151 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG