The online racing simulator
Go read the update list at the start of this thread faster, slowly, cause you clearly haven't!
Crash
Hi,

I'm running test patch W9 and all of a sudden my LFS crashed.
I was just messing around and I don't think I did something extreme or special. I'm also not able to duplicate the crash, but I think this (see attachment) is what you are looking for, if not please let me know.

Dunmer
Attached images
CrashAddress.jpg
Quote from AndroidXP :I hope I didn't make any errors, and that it's more clear for you guys now

You made one big one (typical mistake though). On open diff torque is the same for both wheel in all situations.
Please explain...

Anyhow, I hope at least the general gist is correct, as I just looked at a wikipedia article to figure out the workings of a clutch pack diff, so I can take a guess at what preload does. Correct usage of scientific terms isn't my strong point either . I'm also not sure if the clutch pack diff can ever *really* reach 100% locking, so the second example might be somewhat off. I think Ben, or someone equally knowledgeable, will correct it soon enough.
False Start
I've not tested the patch myself... however I feel the false start system is good, but, it should give the driver a drive through penalty rather than a spectate or disquali. Also, untested, but in F1 a driver has to drive through within 3 laps of getting the penalty, this too should be in LFS (if it isn't already).

Good work.
Spectate and DQ are only applied if you move more than 4 metres before green light, in order to prevent wrecking. The usual action for false start is drive through + time penalty.
Quote from russraine :I've not tested the patch myself... however I feel the false start system is good, but, it should give the driver a drive through penalty rather than a spectate or disquali. Also, untested, but in F1 a driver has to drive through within 3 laps of getting the penalty, this too should be in LFS (if it isn't already).

Good work.

The driver is only forced to spectate if it's an intentional false start. When you move within reasonal boundaries you receive a drivethrough.

edit: darn, late again.
Quote from Scawen :No, the global restrictions are meant mainly as a correction for what we can't get exactly right during beta testing.

Sorry scawen to be a pettifogger but since when are we in beta phase?

Greets
"Beta" testing of the patch.
Basically we're beta testing the test-patches, before they get released as official patch. However, releasing an official, beta-tested patch does not mean LFS itself is out of alpha stage
False starts are very nice...

Clutch preload is great!

It really does make the cars handle more like real cars. Transfers like throttle to brake or even throttle off/on don't upset the cars balance so much anymore!

After optimizing the cars setup the handling of LFS's cars should be even better.

(Never would have dreamt all this would come so quick! Great work!)
dunno if this is happening from some patches, but today i noticed that the string "Rubber Dark" in the config resets itself everytime i start the game. i used that to make the rubber lay a bit darker, to make the tracks more "used". Just asking if the reset is intentional.
Speaking of that, i was thinking if its possible to store the skidmarks layed down during a race to a saved buffer, and reuse that when you open the track another time.
Having lots of fun with false starts and no reset
Ok, so handicaps are not going to be track specific. I see the logic behind it, good for people doing seasons on lots of circuits. The cars will, however, be genuinely balanced on a small number of tracks. Any track where the RB4 was competitive before will now be RB4 dominated. So it's not as much help for the majority of racers who just pick-up and play, same problem, different cars.

Still, FXO seems slower overall, which was the main objective in TBO I suppose.
The only tracks where RB4 dominated anything were the rallycross ones, which is hardly a surprise. I can not recall any other track where the RB4 was a serious threat to the FXO. Anyhow, if there are some and you want balance there, you can still add extra weights to the RB4.
People! Why dont u get it that this is a testpatch forum and u should only post something if u found a bug or have a crash? This thread is just getting way to big.

my first cent and now the second...
I have a very strange bug and couldnt find a post about this (maybe because the thread is full of ****)!

So when i start a Qualification i start in the Pits, that is actually fine but I have a message (False Start - sent to Spec).

best regards
Quote from AndroidXP :The only tracks where RB4 dominated anything were the rallycross ones, which is hardly a surprise. I can not recall any other track where the RB4 was a serious threat to the FXO. Anyhow, if there are some and you want balance there, you can still add extra weights to the RB4.

I can add weight to my RB4, how do I add weight to yours?

Aston cadet springs to mind. If FXO is being slowed to make GTT competitive, and GTT being slowed to make RB4 competitive on a fairly average track like Aston GP or KYO Long, then the advantage RB4 has over GTT at the moment at AS1 (outright speed judged by Hotlap WRs) will grow significantly. (Surely?).
I'll wait and see how it plays out, just a thought.
Quote from sinbad :I can add weight to my RB4, how do I add weight to yours?

can't yet, but i won't be surprised at all once scawen sets the ability for servers to automatically limit cars after winning a last race

and the cool thing about this (doing it automatically), times can be compared, and say if someone got a 1:00.00 laptime, and the second place man got 1:20.00 for a laptime, LFS can calculate how much ballasts or intake limiting should be placed on the winning car, so that the next race the 'winner' can do at best a 1:15.00 or something like such

what i do NOT want scawen to forget though, is that if he does figure out a way to do this, is that at the beginning of the next race, a pop up should come up saying " 'blah' weight has been added, and 'blah' intake restriction "
or something like that
I was just on an international server with a full grid and 40+ connected (ping 340ms from here, and I'm on a 384kbps line) and I must say, a big thumbs up! Whatever's been done has gone a long way into reducing jitter! I've just got two more suggestions to reduce it further (maybe, assuming they're feasible and they've not already been done, ) - perhaps, rather than just sending a value for the position of the steering wheel, include a rate of rotation in the packet, this might help smooth out jitter due to violent wheel movements. Also, would it be feasible to store an approximated brake point for each corner (maybe for each driver in the field too, if necessary) and attempt to reduce the jump caused by a driver stepping on the brakes in a laggy situation? If it would help deal with such issues, I could maybe save a few replays from servers at these pings?
This was probably a one off, but I'll post it here any way:

Fired up W9 for the first time and joined a crowded server just to have a look. Connected fine, and was able to watch the final lap of the race (downloading skins at the time, obviously) but was suddenly disconnected from the server:

> FLP/m FEL : JOOS - COL SET CAR WHL ENG RES
Initial synchronisation failed

A player is disconnecting

I've seen the "A player is disconnecting" message before, but only when connecting. This time I recieved the message after being disconnected from a server.
Is it possible to copy the current W installation and upgrade one copy to W9 so I can use either?
Quote from MARSH2a :Is it possible to copy the current W installation and upgrade one copy to W9 so I can use either?

Yes, that's what I've done.
Quote from Scawen :Don't be worried. As some others have answered already, it's not about that kind of laptime balancing. It's impossible to balance exactly a FWD, RWD and a AWD car. You can see we aren't trying to do something like that, and that's why the balancing is global and not track specific. The problem was that the FXO was seconds ahead on every track - so if you liked RWD you would lose to an FXO, guaranteed, no matter where you raced! And that's not how we wanted it. Now one car or another has strengths and weaknesses at different tracks.

These are Scawen's thoughts about balancing and I totally agree with him.
Dynamically or track specific changed handicaps is a wrong idea imo
Quote from Urban_Eagle1 :I like the sound of this new patch but, it seems it has bugs in it from what ive read, and i have a question about the false start thingy. If its a down/up hill start, and ur using a keyboard, would once ur on the grid u get a false start or do you start in N, and just stand still like u do in the pits and then once the lights go out turn green u drop it into first? just my question, and i think somewhere i read, that u can only go into V9 servers with this patch, no backwards compatabilitys is that right? Anyway thank you in advance.

You start of with Neutral engaged.

Keep the throttle wide open and stick it in to first when the lights go green or stick it in first, depress the clutch and stomp on the loud pedal (let go of the clutch when the lights go green). Your choice.

Or, to be really uncompetitive in a turbo car, put it in first and only use the throttle when the lights go green

W9 isn't backwards compatible due to the clutch changes and other 1337 features. Copy your LFS install and patch the copy
Quote from Urban_Eagle1 :I like the sound of this new patch but, it seems it has bugs in it from what ive read

You could just make a copy of your LFS folder, and install the patch on that one. That way you can always check out the new stuff while keeping your other install "safe" That's what I always do anyway
Start penalty glitch getected
@ the server 500 Servers W9 was some cars sent to spectate without starting to early. my car was really standing absolutely still and i got during parking at start-position a start failure-penalty (was sent to spectate)
This happened 3 times. Then was i banned there, i think because i was spamming the glitch 4 times.
I've found no bugs so far, its great fun with a full server and the jump starts rock. I put my handbrake on to make sure my car doesn't roll because I have autoclutch.

Anyway the servers are full of people who can't drive atm, hopefully when the main patch is out they will return to their drift servers and stop ruining the races.
This thread is closed

Incompatible **TEST** Patch W9
(393 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG