The online racing simulator
Scawen, have you optimised this code at all? i usually get about 45 FPS with a full grid, and now with the extra 8 cars on track i only get 40 FPS, which which is a ~12.5% decrease in FPS for 40% more cars!

Great work Scawen, now go and get yerself a pint!
Quote from AndroidXP :Can't confirm that, I made a point in staying in neutral and standing on the brake before lights come on, but I still got booted off for a false start, together with about 5-10 other people on a 22 car grid.

Thats true, my handbrake was on and i was sent to spectate!

@franky500: i don´t figured out the right place to speak about "500 Servers W9" Maybe its just some misunderstanding?
Can I just ask what the point of all the extra spec slots are for?, not complaining, but 20 odd spec slots is a little excessive IMO
Useful for endurance races where driver changes need room for the non-driver, and league events where you want marshalls, clerks of courses, administrators etc. And for people who just want to watch.

I reckon 'full' servers will calm down soon enough though, at the moment novelty value is keeping people on servers...
it is a little excessive, but for stuff like the 24h race there tends to be (ideally i'd think) a driver waiting and keeping in contact with the driver currently racing, who can now watch the race

EDIT - z0mG t3h Ex F0rUm Wh0r3 b3a1m3! z0mg-noes!
Quote from a n d 1 :People! Why dont u get it that this is a testpatch forum and u should only post something if u found a bug or have a crash? This thread is just getting way to big.

Indeed. Needs a cull.
Quote from a n d 1 :
my first cent and now the second...
I have a very strange bug and couldnt find a post about this (maybe because the thread is full of ****)!

So when i start a Qualification i start in the Pits, that is actually fine but I have a message (False Start - sent to Spec).

best regards

Seconded. Restarting a qualifying session is the same. i.e. you can be on track and instead of 'respawning' on track you're sent to spectate and get the message. You then have to select 'join'
Quote from tristancliffe :Useful for endurance races where driver changes need room for the non-driver, and league events where you want marshalls, clerks of courses, administrators etc. And for people who just want to watch.

If your league involves live (or as-live) commentary, you can have several commenators, potentially in different languages.

And people running statistical apps and stuff like that.
I understand all that, but 20+ spec slots?.......
Thanx for the patch!

But when in options menu, both in View and in Display you can set digital speedo.

I don't think it's nessecary to put this option twice in the game ?

ThaRooP
Quote from danowat :I understand all that, but 20+ spec slots?.......

why not? as i understand it it wouldn't take extra coding to up it to 30 or 47, he might as well make it future-proof
I agree. It should be particularly useful in any organized event, allowing easier driver changes and/or more marshalls.
and what is the trouble on get more features, if you dont like it, dont use it.
and the server can limit the amount of coneections, so, it doesn`t matter at all
I've changed my mind about the "handicaps". If they're just changes to the car, then the cars should always be the same everywhere, single or multi. If they're truly handicaps, though, then why not have them work properly everywhere if it's possible to do so, which it is.
My take on the "A race is starting" bug:

It seems to happen if you change tracks on a server but leave it without joining the grid and starting the race. Admins, keep this in mind.
Quote from danowat :I understand all that, but 20+ spec slots?.......

/maxcars exploit could be used IF IT STILL WORKS.
Quote from Scawen :Don't be worried. As some others have answered already, it's not about that kind of laptime balancing. It's impossible to balance exactly a FWD, RWD and a AWD car. You can see we aren't trying to do something like that, and that's why the balancing is global and not track specific. The problem was that the FXO was seconds ahead on every track - so if you liked RWD you would lose to an FXO, guaranteed, no matter where you raced! And that's not how we wanted it. Now one car or another has strengths and weaknesses at different tracks.

Very nice but like others said, you should make clear which restrictions are currently in place. ATM you cant train in sp, since you won´t know which voluntary handicaps you have to set to match the involuntary handicaps you´ll encounter once you log on.

There´s a problem with the race setup screen in multiplayer. If I´m not mistaken (almost) all drivers on the server have to click ok the start the race which takes ages with 48 clients 20 of which are speccing and maybe AFK.

Quote from AndroidXP :For example, if the left wheel is on the ground and the right one in the air, then an open diff would just spin the one in the air, thus providing 100% torque to the freely spinning wheel.

Actually thats very very wrong.
An open diff will always apply the same torque to both wheels (hard to grasp; I think I nearly brought Todd to the point where he wanted to kill me to end my stupidity when he tried to explain it to me)

Quote from al heeley :Android, thanks for the explanation, but what does it actually mean?
When you drive with very low preload compared to very high? Can it be explained in terms of how the car feels or handles?

Basically it means you´ll always have the effect of a diff that´s locked to some degree.
Without preload your diff will be completely open when you shift or generally when you clutch out.
With preload you set a lower threshold below which the amount of lock your diff has can´t fall.
So when it comes to handling you won´t have to deal with the instability under shifting while trailbraking you encountered with previous versions of the clutch pack diff.
Also in case anyone here is a drfiter; clutch kicking wont work as well with preload.

Quote from St4Lk3R :no. On SO Sprint 1 & 2, as well as on AS Cadet, the number of cars in race is restricted to 16 automatically because these tracks are simply too short for a higher amount of cars.

Then why can we put 28 cars on FE club?

Quote from AndroidXP : Please explain...

Think of it in terms of continuity restrictions.
Basically a diff is a discontinuity in the driveline. Now if you have an open diff this discontinuity naturally cannot pass any torque in axial direction (through the diff from one wheel to the other). Therefore the toque must be equal at both wheels.

Quote from axus :I don't recall exactly but I think there was some rule in Formula 1 with regards to the car having to move only 0.1s after the green lights because anything less than that would mean that you were expecting green rather than reacting to it... is this how it has been implemented in LFS or is it if you move after green?

IMHO it´s a stupid rule (much more so with the internet adding at least that much in lag to it)

Quote from duke_toaster :/maxcars exploit could be used IF IT STILL WORKS.

someone please test this
Quote from Shotglass :someone please test this

it accepts the command (Sam tried), but where do you propose to get 27 other drivers from?
Quote from axus :I don't recall exactly but I think there was some rule in Formula 1 with regards to the car having to move only 0.1s after the green lights because anything less than that would mean that you were expecting green rather than reacting to it... is this how it has been implemented in LFS or is it if you move after green?

Im glad you posted this because I was thinking the same. It is not physically possible to react before a certain time, so anything quicker must have been a lucky guess.

I never forgot when Linford Christie was disqualified from athletics, he actually went after the gun was fired but it was not humanly possible for him to react that fast and so he was disqualified.
Quote from Jakg :it accepts the command (Sam tried), but where do you propose to get 27 other drivers from?

AI´s!!!
Quote from Jakg :it accepts the command (Sam tried), but where do you propose to get 27 other drivers from?

1. Make a server with somewhat popular combo
2. Name the server to something in the line of "47 racers test server"
3. ???
4. Profit.
Quote from Kalev EST :AI´s!!!

we can add only 3 AI per PC, so we'd still need 10 people to turn up to do it
Quote from geeman1 :1. Make a server with somewhat popular combo
2. Name the server to something in the line of "47 racers test server"
3. ???
4. Profit.

i dont have the bandwidth to do that, and i could nick UKCT Bumperz, but i'd need to change the config file which would require someone to RDC into the server and change it
Quote from Shotglass :Actually thats very very wrong.
An open diff will always apply the same torque to both wheels (hard to grasp; I think I nearly brought Todd to the point where he wanted to kill me to end my stupidity when he tried to explain it to me)
Think of it in terms of continuity restrictions.
Basically a diff is a discontinuity in the driveline. Now if you have an open diff this discontinuity naturally cannot pass any torque in axial direction (through the diff from one wheel to the other). Therefore the toque must be equal at both wheels.

I think I get what you mean, but this seems to be more of a problem in using the correct terms to describe things. Like I said, I'm not very good at that . I guess the point is, that instead of the right wheel getting all the torque, actually neither wheel gets it. The wheel spinning in the air almost doesn't need any torque to rotate, so the wheel having grip doesn't get any either.
Quote from Jakg :i dont have the bandwidth to do that, and i could nick UKCT Bumperz, but i'd need to change the config file which would require someone to RDC into the server and change it

Well, it doesn't have to be entirely smooth just for testing and you would only need 29 racers to test this out. If one more is possible, it is possible to have even more.
Anyway, I am sure some will test this sooner or later.

a few hours ago there were ~45 clients on frankys 500 server
dont think its all that hard to get 47 drivers on a server to film the biggest t1 crash of all times (think blues brothers)

Quote from AndroidXP :I think I get what you mean, but this seems to be more of a problem in using the correct terms to describe things. Like I said, I'm not very good at that . I guess the point is, that instead of the right wheel getting all the torque, actually neither wheel gets it. The wheel spinning in the air almost doesn't need any torque to rotate, so the wheel having grip doesn't get any either.

Exactly so what the wheel in the air actually gets is all the power
But because of this (highly common) mistake your tables were wrong as well. If I´m not mistaken the preload you set is the min amount of difference in torque between both wheels.
This thread is closed

Incompatible **TEST** Patch W9
(393 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG