The online racing simulator
First topic says that max conns is 48, i guess this number is the same as maxguests. The thing is that when i write /maxguests 48 on config.txt, its shows the following error> out of bonds :maxguests

Or does the host itself counts?
I think that in Scawens count, the host counts, because if you host a non-dedi, you can get 48 connections showing on the list, but with a dedi, you can only get 47.
Quote from amp88 :Yes, I know the definition of a false start, I'm just wondering if this is an error/bug in the detection of jump starts, as I was given a penalty for the start whereas I don't believe I was moving before the green.

maybe it was lag then? not sure..

i bet that will be a problem though, i can see that happening
I was really surprised after trying the diff preload. It really helps the cars behave more like they should on and off the throttle... and I think alot of people are just overlooking it because they don't know what it does.
Quote from Blerpa :Yes, it's a game.
Still it is a simulation.

Honestly if I wanted a catch up/balancing option so that each car in each class would be doing the exact laptimes I would have played Need For Speed, not LFS.

I hope that's not were LFS is heading.

A worried paying member.

I can't think any reason whatsoever why the cars shouldn't be balanced. In GPL the differences weren't just about performance.

I think it is great that the RB4s and XRTs finally get a chance to fight against the FXO, or the FXR&XRR get a chance against FZR. It makes the races better, it makes the XRT and RB4 worth driving. I just did few races with the GTRs and it was awesome how the XRR&FXR were competitive against FZR, which used to be total overkill for the class. Supporting totally unbalanced system, like you liked it to be, just makes races more dull and less surprizing.
---

Few suggestions:
- stat for LFSworld for jump starts: total starts / jump starts
- with more people on the server, the "cant join/can't leave pits/can't X" - "player connecting etc." can be bigger problem than it is now
- I noticed that it is possible to move little without getting any jump start. By doing this the "handbrake" is turned off and the car is free to roll up/downhill. Doesn't this give slightly better start because the "handbrake" is off instead of being on on normal start? Hard to test
- reaction time shown on screen? (average reaction time lfsworld stat, although a bit problematic )

Great stuff!
I think reaction time would be a fun stat to see.

Also, does false starts work on the drag strip?

*off to test*

Also, the 100kg ballast I think makes the FZR seem easier to drive than it did before, and the RB4 is still my favourite TBO car, and atleast has a chance.
Quote from WGooden :I was really surprised after trying the diff preload. It really helps the cars behave more like they should on and off the throttle... and I think alot of people are just overlooking it because they don't know what it does.

hmmz, i've just done 80 laps bl2 rally with xfg,trying different preload settings!

makes no difference what's so ever on xfg,got same lap times,as i do with locked diff,no matter what i set the preload to
I think you'd notice it more in a RWD car.
Fantastic sounding patch, thank you!
28 racers, false starts, pre-load... woohoo
Scawen, a request from a Russian host admin: in connections list, please, make kick/ban buttons visible for admins even when /vote=no. Also in demo ban by IP is necessary.
Thanks for W9! :wow:
:headbang:
Falsstarts!
28 Players!
48 Connections!

:woohoo:
i think the start lights are still shown almost at the same time each race... there should be a period of maybe 1-3 seconds until the green lights appear
Quote from deggis :False starts

Because this patch is aimed at multiplayer stuff, is there any plans to do improve the visual car movement while online? I mean that "jerky" movement, well everyone probably knows what I mean. As far as I know currently there is no "precalculation" (or whatever that is) and that's why the other cars moves not-so-smoothly looking while online and in multiplayer replays. Improving this would make MP replays more enjoyable to watch, while playing that jerky movement doesn't really matter at all.

while playing the jerky movement causes cars to go flying into walls on light contact. i would like to see some kind of smoothing here

great patch, i like the added realism!
Could someone explain how pre load works in LFS?
WOW what a patch
OMG I LOVE that:

" Car is no longer held at start line - false starts possible "

Thats Really Great
Quote from detail :Scawen, a request from a Russian host admin: in connections list, please, make kick/ban buttons visible for admins even when /vote=no. Also in demo ban by IP is necessary.

Banning players on the demo is already by IP as far as I know...

Quote from Blerpa :
Honestly if I wanted a catch up/balancing option so that each car in each class would be doing the exact laptimes I would have played Need For Speed, not LFS.

I hope that's not were LFS is heading.

A worried paying member.

Can't understand why you've put `catch up option` in the equation as it's nothing like that. Catch up is when the cars behind the leaders get extra performance to what the leader has.

The idea of balancing isn't to bring each car in class to the exact same laptimes but to make each one closer. Thus at different tracks a certain car might have the advantage over the other etc. If you wanted to get all the cars the same laptimes they'd have to be balanced for every combo.

The reason for this is to stop the one always dominating car in every class.
Quote from zockmachine :i think the start lights are still shown almost at the same time each race... there should be a period of maybe 1-3 seconds until the green lights appear

or even more. 2-5 or 2-7 seconds, so it's more obvious.
Quote :Honestly if I wanted a catch up/balancing option so that each car in each class would be doing the exact laptimes

Rest assured that is not what is intended. Be aware that in GPL you have 7 different cars, iirc, which are over the board somewhat close. Of course the Cooper can't really stand up to the Lotus, but the Eagle and Ferrari are much closer to the Lotus than the Cooper or BRM. Also, in GPL you can make use of car characteristics on different tracks. Lotus vs. Eagle on Monza or Spa is a close match, in Monaco that is a different story. There you would maybe choose the Brabham.

Now, in LFS we have a totally different situation. In TBO and GTR one car is dominating on each track AND there is only three cars in the classes. So the variation is much less than in GPL.

A perfect situation imho would be if the three different cars in a class would be balanced in a way that there is a decent medium car which can compete on most tracks, but does not dominate and the two other cars are better on tracks suiting their characteristics. So you could look at a championship's schedule, decide which tracks are your strength and which car you can drive the best and make your choice accordingly instead of being forced to choose the one dominant car.

Also, with the massive difference between the cars and the little choice, league administrators cannot assign cars to different strength drivers as in GPL since there is too little variation. Balancing is needed. It would be good for the game as long as it will not lead to spec racing, which I am sure it will not.
a big THANK YOU fot the patch Scawen! its really great

Quote from Vykos69 :or even more. 2-5 or 2-7 seconds, so it's more obvious.

2 - 5 is according to FIA rules...
The voluntary air restriction is great.

One thing though, the MRT5 is already intake-restricted. Should this now be somehow indicated? Or can it be that it is an "involuntary" air restriction?

Quote from SAE :The Formula SAE\sR rules require the use of a 20 mm intake restrictor.

What I'm getting at, since the extra restriction is now adjustable: in LFS the MRT5 is at 64 horsepower with 0% restriction, when in actuality it (the real MRT5) has 64 horsepower @ >0% restriction.

I 'suggest' that it should either be able to go no lower than "x%" restriction, or that it should be able to go to 0%, while the default setups remain @ x% restriction.

Only problem is I'm not sure what "x" is, however I distinctly remember reading (and I'm sure you could ask them to make sure) that the MRT5 had upwards of 80 horsepower unrestricted.
again, people this is a test patch! this shouldnt be bug free
i'm sure scawen is working on the improvements but just needed some testers
Great patch

I found a little bug. I was racing with XFR and with F12 it did say that I need 1% per lap. I did put in 6% and after doing 5 laps just after crossing the finish line I did have 0.3% fuel (but it still said that I need 1% per lap). This was not just a one time thing, it is allways.

Please do this soon:
An option to preset different controler options (for G25)!!!!!!!!
LFS rounds, it from the "exact figure" which could be 1.04999999999999999999%, and after 5 laps those 0.49999 add up to about 0.296666 odd, which would round to 0.3%

imo LFS should always round UP to make sure this doesn't happen
This thread is closed

Incompatible **TEST** Patch W9
(393 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG