The online racing simulator
I cant even begin to explain it from my perspective of what makes it better then anything else...it just is. The look and feel of the game is addicting; my girlfriend will agree with that, she hates that I play it so much.

Another factor that hits with LFS over all other sims especially console ones, is that you go online and theres guaranteed to be someone else to race. No having to wait for your buddy to come online or come over, race a stranger and beat or get beat.

As for all the "experts" that say this aspect isnt real, that aspect isnt real...you guys really bug the shit out of me. I cant complain about anything regarding LFS (except my need for motorcycles ). Does that mean your better a better racer then I am, who knows, but I just take it for what it is and have fun.

LOVE THIS GAME!
A LFS World Record driver a 'console graphics whore' *lol*

Richard Towler rules guys! I'm a Fan of him

Richard, is it true that you left the VR Racing League, were you led the Championship standings, to go and live in Hull? And is it really the worst place to live in the UK?
Yep, only they screwed up the "D" when writing the towns name down and it got stuck as an "H".
Quote from George Kuyumji :A LFS World Record driver a 'console graphics whore' *lol*

George, your enthusiasm for Richard's achievements is great, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Richard might prefer, in the current context, to be responded to based on what he has said -- in this thread -- rather than what he has done at the wheel.

(Richard, feel free to correct if I have guessed wrong.)
Quote from George Kuyumji :A LFS World Record driver a 'console graphics whore' *lol*

Richard, is it true that you left the VR Racing League, were you led the Championship standings, to go and live in Hull? And is it really the worst place to live in the UK?

Richard Towler drove just 1737 Miles and have no world record, he have just a blabbermouth, thats all. Everything what he tell is wrong. He know nothing about LFS. Maybe he drive without sound and rubber marks and don´t hear and see that he drive to fast. I think LFS is absolutely close at the real.

By the BMW Sauber i don´t know the realistic, i drove never a real. But the normal cars are extreme close realistic.

But my favorite Car in LFS is anyway the BMW Sauber. It is just a car for people they need very much speed in corners. Fern Bay Black with BF1 lets feel the highest speed in the first long curves.
I've not read the whole topic, but to answer the topic question, I'd say the following: LFS is currently the best racing simulation game because no game corp has ever decided to look at LFS and actually aim at making something better. The other simulations that we've seen are usually way bellow LFS because they seem to have been worked on fast, without actually caring much. But I'm definitely sure that if 60 people would decide to do something better than LFS, they would succeed.

And that's not saying that LFS is not good or anything; it's just logic. 60 brains that work well together can do better than 3. Of course, the probability that 60 people could actually work well to the point of making something better is thin, thus we have seen nothing better than LFS so far. In my opinion, 3 people is good, because they work in conjunction, they know each other, etc.

However, 60 people that would know what they do and make no compromises would inevitably come up with something better.
LFS certainly has a long way to long...but is certainly ineffably closer to realistic physics/racing simulation than any other racing sim ever made to date...!

let me put it this way, for those of us that actually do autocross and go road racing in real life on a normal basis and have tried every racing sim available for comparative purposes (giving each a fair chance), knows LFS is the most realistic at the limit, best sim ever/so-far bar none!

I believe it is absolutely imparative that a game be designed by not only fans/aficionados of automotive racing, but also participants that have been there and done it in real life!...and I think this is where LFS suceeds on so many levels...

I mean even just looking at slow motion vids from lfs--cars move and act like you would expect them and experience them to in real life, no other racing sim has reproduced that thus far...neither do any of them model respective suspension geometries in real-time and their inherent advantages/disadvantages as they experience travel...

now, having said that, imagine a sim that keeps lfs' simplicity and lack of distraction as well as it's easy user interface/setup...and keep it's physics engine, then add in the huge garage of real cars and tracks in GT4 and the sounds of GTR2 and GT legends (but not samples, actual sythensized sounds) catalyzing a hybrid sim resulting in heaven behind a pc steering wheel
This is nice. The basic thing with sim "community" has been this:

ISI guys like their stuff but aren't really interested about LFS.
Papy guys have GPL and nascar, but other sims aren't really worth anything. GPL is old and nascar is old too. iRacing looks nice but it is from teh devil.
LFS people have LFS. LFS is the best and nothing can touch it. ISI sims are looked down and laughed at. S3 will save the earth.
Nk pro guys just like their sims best but 20 people doesn't exactly make a crowd, so they have to use lesser sims. And it is soon to be developed!!!11

And now then there is Richard towler who drives nascar and GTRs and looks down on LFS because the cars look simple and the physics are just physics. It gets even funier when I say that I'm a LFS fanboi and agree with him

j/k

Oh, and then there is the RBR folks who think their rally sim is word from god. No one has told them it is the only rally game that tries to be a sim.
Quote from Woz :That is if you find someone, There is the grand total of..... drum roll..... 6 people playing rF online as I post this looking at RaceCast.

SIX

4th April 2007, 10:05 BST

rFactor: 289 racers on 92 populated servers. (Stats provided by rFactor Server Spy)
LFS: 122 racers on 35 populated servers. (Stats provided by LFSWorld.net)

Now I've stirred it up a little, back to lurking
It is obvious that a topic entitled like this topic would fell down in the old and wasted discussion "My Sim is better than your Sim".

Again? That is comedy.. very funny
Quote from TechAde :4th April 2007, 10:05 BST

rFactor: 289 racers on 92 populated servers. (Stats provided by rFactor Server Spy)

Quite apart from the totals for each sim, what those numbers tell me is that in either rFactor or LFS you'll get an average of three or four people on a server.
Quote from Speed Soro :It is obvious that a topic entitled like this topic would fell down in the old and wasted discussion "My Sim is better than your Sim".

Again? That is comedy.. very funny

+1

Richards point about the too easy catching is true.I think most of you should learn to drift a car IRL before talking on this forum.

Just think why the most drifters in LFS are kids..........They all will have big surprise when they will understand how brutal a car reacts IRL when you are drifting.

Not really hard but far from easy with a normal 200ps car.

But i let you alone in your little simwar since the only community who acts like these are from LFS and that s why most of the simmers don t want to hear one word about LFS,because of the childish community.
Quote from GHOSTRACER1 :Richards point about the too easy catching is true.I think most of you should learn to drift a car IRL before talking on this forum.

Just think why the most drifters in LFS are kids..........They all will have big surprise when they will understand how brutal a car reacts IRL when you are drifting.

Not really hard but far from easy with a normal 200ps car.

use a g25 at 900° and see if it is still as easy to drift in lfs
Quote from TechAde :4th April 2007, 10:05 BST

Now I've stirred it up a little, back to lurking

Spring break. rF fanbase is home for 2 weeks
Quote from GHOSTRACER1 :Richards point about the too easy catching is true.I think most of you should learn to drift a car IRL before talking on this forum.

I've not drifted IRL, but I've spun / slid / done a power slide in many cars; the slower cars in LFS feel about right I recon.

Remember that most cars made for 'drifting' have honking great alloys with rubber band tyres - that means when you loose it, it goes big time; back in the real world where cars have 50mm or greater sidewalls and 205mm or less width of tread (ie. where tyres cost less than £100 each, and are similar to those simulated on the slower cars in LFS), they are much easier to handle when sliding.

If course anyone that drives real cars would know that distinction ...

Quote from GHOSTRACER1 :But i let you alone in your little simwar since the only community who acts like these are from LFS and that s why most of the simmers don t want to hear one word about LFS,because of the childish community.

Compared to which other computer game forums are they more childish? Computer games by their nature attract younger people so it falls logically that the communities that surround them are inherrently childish
Quote from matze54564 :Richard Towler drove just 1737 Miles and have no world record, he have just a blabbermouth, thats all. Everything what he tell is wrong. He know nothing about LFS. Maybe he drive without sound and rubber marks and don´t hear and see that he drive to fast. I think LFS is absolutely close at the real.

By the BMW Sauber i don´t know the realistic, i drove never a real. But the normal cars are extreme close realistic.

But my favorite Car in LFS is anyway the BMW Sauber. It is just a car for people they need very much speed in corners. Fern Bay Black with BF1 lets feel the highest speed in the first long curves.

I’m wondering, what is your experience in Motorsport and Race Sims to call other opinions brabbeling? You base your opinion on some Indoor Karting and LFS 8 lap Sprint Races on Public Servers perhaps?

I have Raced Race-Karts and Formula 2000 cars, which is the FOX, I have also driven small front wheel drive cars like the XF, rearwheel drive BMWs like the XR on Race Tracks, and a Lotus Caterham Super Seven, which is the LX4 in LFS but this one „only“ on Public Roads and not on the limit.
In August I will have Testdrives in a Formula 3000 car which is kind of like the F08 in LFS, so thats another car I can compare from real life to the Sim, and I cant see anything brabbeling what Richard said. My thoughts are the cars in LFS give a good impression Physics wise, but the Formula cars are to easy to drift, they are to forgiveable over the limit. That doesnt mean bad Physics but room for improvement.
I had quite some side-aways moments in Formula cars, I would not call it „drifting“, more like snap-Oversteer moments, or fishtailing experience.
The degree at which you can put the LFS FOX sideaways without problems is overdone, the car got to much grip, thats why some people corner entries look very unnatural but it is still fast.
For example, the 90 degree right hand corner after the long straight in Blackwood is sometimes driven at extreme angles without problems, some people drive the FOX like a Go Kart, putting it way to much sideways before the turn and going understeering threw it, but it is still fast and they rarely lose it. The car allows to much on and over the Grip limit.

It is also annoying that one can brake hard on the curbs and drive over them completely like they are not curbs but normal Road asphalt.
Riding over the curbs like we do in LFS should upset the car as there is alot less Grip on the curbs, the energy the springs have to absorb as you go over the curbs are undermodelled. I’m not quite sure were the Grip comes from that allows for the drift angles in the Formula cars, I got the feeling like the weight transfer is modelled to low and the tyres Grip slip curve drops to slowly and late, which allows for to much sideaways driving. Overall I think LFS is of course a superb Sim with a great Physic Engine, and also the Formula cars are quite nice that could get some improvements.
Quote from George Kuyumji :It is also annoying that one can brake hard on the curbs and drive over them completely like they are not curbs but normal Road asphalt.

Riding over the curbs like we do in LFS should upset the car as there is alot less Grip on the curbs, the energy the springs have to absorb as you go over the curbs are undermodelled.

curbs in lfs arent serated ie theyre perfectly flat and thus give you about the same grip as a normal road surface

Quote :I’m not quite sure were the Grip comes from that allows for the drift angles in the Formula cars, I got the feeling like the weight transfer is modelled to low and the tyres Grip slip curve drops to slowly and late, which allows for to much sideaways driving.

lateral tyre curves DONT drop off ... its a myth thats been around way way too long and its about time it got erradicated form the minds of sim player once and for all

the reason why df cars in lfs drift safely at speed (not while driving slowly) is probably mostly due to the aero physics being very incomplete and the cars not losing nearly enough df when theyre sideways
Quote from Shotglass :use a g25 at 900° and see if it is still as easy to drift in lfs

OMG,you know what,my wheel is a G25 and i use the 900° with streetcars in all sims but you have your opinion,i have mine.The only thing who is really hard with drifting in LFS is the FF lol.

Like i said,the day who the cars will go so easy sideways IRL,you will see thirteen years old kids drifting in all turns from your city.

Please do the testing,take your car IRL,drive with 100/120km and at the first turn bring it sideways like in LFS.I m sure most of you will never write again on this forum.Not because it s too hard,it s just because most of you seems to imagine wrong stuff about a car behaviour IRL.
Quote from GHOSTRACER1 :Please do the testing,take your car IRL,drive with 100/120km and at the first turn bring it sideways like in LFS.I m sure most of you will never write again on this forum.Not because it s too hard,it s just because most of you seems to imagine wrong stuff about a car behaviour IRL.

Cough

For the stupid amongst you, the cough implies that I have indeed done this (although perhaps not to extreme yaw angles for sphincter care reasons) in a number of vehicles and vehicle types. Just don't tell my parents or the police...
Quote from GHOSTRACER1 :Please do the testing,take your car IRL,drive with 100/120km and at the first turn bring it sideways like in LFS.I m sure most of you will never write again on this forum.Not because it s too hard,it s just because most of you seems to imagine wrong stuff about a car behaviour IRL.

And I ask you to please do this test with a setup in LFS similar to an actual real life normal road car rather than a setup specifically done up to do this.

Can't compare how LFS is to in a real car unless you set them both up similar.
Quote from Whitmore :Horses for courses.

GPL is the best 60s open wheeler sim
NR2003 is the best NASCAR sim
Rally Trophy is the best 60s/70s rally sim
RBR is the best modern rally sim
GTL is the best historic GT and touring car sim
GTR2 is the best modern GT sim
rFactor is the best mod platform
LFS is the best fictional multi-class sim

and I would think NetKar Pro will be the best hillclimbing sim

To be honest the word "best" doesn't really mean anything when you talk about sim racing titles
Quote from George Kuyumi :It is also annoying that one can brake hard on the curbs and drive over them completely like they are not curbs but normal Road asphalt.
Riding over the curbs like we do in LFS should upset the car as there is alot less Grip on the curbs, the energy the springs have to absorb as you go over the curbs are undermodelled.

Quote from Shotglass :curbs in lfs arent serated ie theyre perfectly flat and thus give you about the same grip as a normal road surface

They aren't all perfectly flat in LFS, many of them give a thud-thud-thud if you go over them(the one into T1 proper at SOclassic for example), they have to be functional in both directions though, so they're not aggressive saw-tooth curbs/kerbs.
On the other hand, real tracks do not all exclusively use bumpy curbs on every section, particularly tracks which allow motorcycle racing, so there's nothing wrong really with it at the mo'.
Quote from GHOSTRACER1 :Like i said,the day who the cars will go so easy sideways IRL,you will see thirteen years old kids drifting in all turns from your city.

What you fail to realize (for one thing) is that the (good?) drifters in LFS didn't just become that way the second they picked up LFS.

If you were invincible, didn't have to repair your car if you smashed it, didn't pay for tires, could set the car up like you can in LFS, and couldn't feel the ridiculous forces your body experiences - then even you could probably be very proficient at it after some practice!

Bottom line, it's just not nearly as hard as you think it is IRL.

I agree on the points about the downforce cars however, and I 100% agree with Shotglass's observation that it's likely due to aero modelling at the moment.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG