The online racing simulator
Server options wishlist
(220 posts, started )
Quote from Macfox :What is the difference between the player retiring and the server server admin retiring the player?

Having the admin retire the player is more realistic. If you allow drivers to teleport to the pit themselves they will do so immediately after having an accident, which gives no time for yellow flags or safety cars, which some leagues use quite extensively. You don't want cars just randomly disappearing from the track if you can avoid it. Ditto for people hitting space to reset.
#52 - FL!P
I think it would be very cool if server admins could (easily) change the garage background image on their server (which of course would be downloaded by the clients) to give a more personalized look to their tracks.

I prefer the garage background I downloaded from the forum to the original one, but I think it would be great if the background could change depending on the server (admins could add their team's url and colors on the background, display some server rules, etc).

Edit: Also it would be very handy if the name and code of the current track were displayed in the garage. When you join a server by finding a racer online, you don't know which track you're at.
flying start
jump start but i think that one is going to be implemented anyway

server side Advertising. downloaded once, those files are much smaller then skins.
Quote from jperez2003us :i would like to play online only with people using wheel. Mouse driver are usually faster but have many driving aids, is not realistic. And i would like to play with people not using driving aids at all.
Thanks

Limit Driving aids, such as traction control etc.
Limit Controllers allowed. Wheel/keyboard/mouse only. 3 Peddles or H shifters only.

Quote from felplacerad :Only read 1st post.

Possibility for admins to contact player who have blocked messages.
Possibility to set the the remaining time of a qualifying session to 0.
Admins should be able to arrange the grid in the lobby.

Added.

Quote from Cue-Ball :Having the admin retire the player is more realistic. If you allow drivers to teleport to the pit themselves they will do so immediately after having an accident, which gives no time for yellow flags or safety cars, which some leagues use quite extensively. You don't want cars just randomly disappearing from the track if you can avoid it. Ditto for people hitting space to reset.

Never thought of it like that. I guess it's a valid scheme.

Quote from FL!P :I think it would be very cool if server admins could (easily) change the garage background image on their server (which of course would be downloaded by the clients) to give a more personalized look to their tracks.

I prefer the garage background I downloaded from the forum to the original one, but I think it would be great if the background could change depending on the server (admins could add their team's url and colors on the background, display some server rules, etc).

Edit: Also it would be very handy if the name and code of the current track were displayed in the garage. When you join a server by finding a racer online, you don't know which track you're at.

I'm not familiar with the garage backgrounds. Is this the banner (texture)above the garages or something totally different, like the lobby backdrop?

The latter is a client option I guess, not so much a server setting/option.

Quote from Fischfix :flying start
jump start but i think that one is going to be implemented anyway

server side Advertising. downloaded once, those files are much smaller then skins.

Added.
#55 - FL!P
Quote from Macfox :I'm not familiar with the garage backgrounds. Is this the banner (texture)above the garages or something totally different, like the lobby backdrop?

The latter is a client option I guess, not so much a server setting/option.

I meant the image used for background when you're in the garage. Like the attached one that I found on the forum. I know it's on the client, at the moment. I'm suggesting a mechanism similar to skins that would allow the client to download the image from the server, if any. Otherwise it'd keep using the default one.
Attached images
bkg_garage1.jpg
Updated list.
I can't find a previous mention of this, but it's very minor.
When I run a dedicated server, I would like to be able to chat to the drivers on the server using the server window. So that I can let them know if I have to reset the server or that I am shutting down for a while to reset something.
Or Just to let my friends know that I will be joining them in 10 minutes
Kick/Ban Reasons
/kick user reason
/ban user period reason

Where reason is a 2 character string that refers to an inbuilt list.

For example ...

/kick oldbloke dw (where dw is shorthand for 'deliberate wrecking')

This would place a message on screen saying ...

'OldBloke is about to be kicked for deliberate wrecking'

Five seconds after the message appears - kick.

This is necessary so that the racer (and the rest of the clients) knows he/she is being kicked and the reason for it. The current mechanism just displays a 'disconnection' message which could be interpretted as a network issue.

I would also like to see the following implemented ...

/warn user reason

So again ...

/warn OldBloke dw produces an onscreen message ...

'OldBloke is being warned against deliberate wrecking'

Yet another enhancement would be the use of custom reasons. So that either the list of set reasons is appendable or the command is expanded to allow the use of this format ...

/warn OldBloke "Custom warning here"

Over to you.
Quote from Foropsico :I want to sugest this:
1- When some one connects into a server, some times it create lag for an instant. Is very painfull when you are drivings an the game freze, you could loss the control.

2- The server only alow one user to connect or leave at the same time. Messages like: "can't leave, a player is connecting" are annoying.

1. More of a bug. Maybe caused by skin downloads.

2. Added
Added the /ban and /kick

/warn I think is covered by /msg. Yes?
Quote from Macfox :Added the /ban and /kick

Cheers.

Quote from Macfox :/warn I think is covered by /msg. Yes?

Not really. Typing out a full warning takes longer than typing /warn user reason.

And while I'm on a roll ....

How about helping us poor admins even further buy having /b /k /w as shortcuts for /ban /kick and /warn.
+1 {or all my points for this year!!} for increased connection limit. The 20 limit is hurting us bad. We're forced to run 2 servers when we have 25 odd racers.
Quote from funkdancer :+1 {or all my points for this year!!} for increased connection limit. The 20 limit is hurting us bad. We're forced to run 2 servers when we have 25 odd racers.

Figured I'd better add another voice in for this one. Would make our series *so* much nicer. +1
Quote from Blowtus :Figured I'd better add another voice in for this one. Would make our series *so* much nicer. +1

I concur
#66 - FL!P
Preventing public talking in the lobby
I noticed in league races that admins or race directors sometimes have trouble to get heard in the lobby. There's often some overexcited people who keep talking, wich brings the admins' signal-to-noise ratio so low that they're sometimes hard to follow even with the history displayed.

I think it would be very handy in some cases if admins had a switch to prevent public talking in the lobby. When activated, this option would still allow all the admins to talk, but no one else could, until an admin switched it back or the session started (so people would always be able to talk on the track and the next time they join the lobby, even if the admin forgot to switch it back).
Updated suggestions.
#68 - Gunn
Quote from Macfox :1. More of a bug. Maybe a caused by skin downloads.

This issue has been in LFS forever and predates skin downloads. A recent test patch (V2) has helped to minimise the problem.
Quote from Gunn :This issue has been in LFS forever and predates skin downloads. A recent test patch (V2) has helped to minimise the problem.

Thanks Gunn. Noted. It's off the list as it's really a bug (being fixed).
I do not think its fair to allow people with joysticks be excluded. It shouldn't matter to the host what controller a player uses, as long as he or she is competent with it. I certainly disagree with the game being changed (adding an option) that allows control freaks to dictate their gaming philosophy. In everything relating to the server, he has that right, but what I use to play the game with is completely my business! I'm in the process of purchasing an S2, and if such a thing as this is implemented, then it will be very difficult for non-wheel users to find servers, and then I've paid my money and would be discriminated against because I can't afford a wheel! Leave it as is. However, I do think its a good idea for a host to control if driver aids can be used or not!

Please fix the banning bug when it comes to banning etc certain names the game doesn't recognise (and refuses to ban etc) Ban by number please, not names. (see:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=20369

Venus
1) Currently the connection list changes order, and often people send messages to the wrong people as just at the moment the list changes. This also happens when players vote to kick or ban.

So please fix the list so latest joiners are at the bottom. Needed for 2)

I also think that the latency should be part of the connections list so its simpler to see who is lagging

2) cfg setting /adminkickban

This setting would only work for those logged on as admin by clicking the kick or ban in the connections list it would automatically add the command and username to the chat box

3) Vote should have several settings in the cfg /vote kick, restart, ban, qualify so there is control on what can be voted on.

4) I think that several of the setting, message options and actions from LFSLapper should become standard Dedi server settings
Quote from Venus :I do not think its fair to allow people with joysticks be excluded. It shouldn't matter to the host what controller a player uses, as long as he or she is competent with it. I certainly disagree with the game being changed (adding an option) that allows control freaks to dictate their gaming philosophy. In everything relating to the server, he has that right, but what I use to play the game with is completely my business!

Please fix the banning bug when it comes to banning etc certain names the game doesn't recognise (and refuses to ban etc) Ban by number please, not names. (see:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=20369

Venus

The whole controller debate has been done to death in this and other threads, so I'll just leave the suggestion on there for now.

Added Ban by numbers.
Quote from birder :1) Currently the connection list changes order, and often people send messages to the wrong people as just at the moment the list changes. This also happens when players vote to kick or ban.

So please fix the list so latest joiners are at the bottom. Needed for 2)

I also think that the latency should be part of the connections list so its simpler to see who is lagging

2) cfg setting /adminkickban

This setting would only work for those logged on as admin by clicking the kick or ban in the connections list it would automatically add the command and username to the chat box

3) Vote should have several settings in the cfg /vote kick, restart, ban, qualify so there is control on what can be voted on.

4) I think that several of the setting, message options and actions from LFSLapper should become standard Dedi server settings

1-2 are good suggestions but are really client changes. The server essentailly supports these features already.

3 Added

4 can you elaberate on these settings?
Quote from Macfox :The whole controller debate has been done to death in this and other threads, so I'll just leave the suggestion on there for now.

Added Ban by numbers.

I understand it has. However, I think providing a means for your customers to be descriminated against because they don't have the right controller, is not something to conducive to adding new customers.

Thanks for ban by numbers
Possibly, but at the end of the day, the host(er) has final say. If the intention is to provide a "really" level playing field, they will achieve that one way or another. Personally I don't see it as a popular option, but might be handy for those who run leagues etc.

Server options wishlist
(220 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG