The online racing simulator
Server options wishlist
(220 posts, started )
if this is possible, then why not let the grid rearange in the correct racing order?

"overtake the car in front"
"let the car behind you pass"

something like that...

one more improvement suggestion: an option to let people join a server only if there is a brake at the moment and no race going on.
Quote from Fischfix :if this is possible, then why not let the grid rearange in the correct racing order?

something like that...

one more improvement suggestion: an option to let people join a server only if there is a brake at the moment and no race going on.

In NASCAR Racing 2003 the Team Boss tells you on the Radio if you need to pass a car infront or let somebody overtake you, he tells you where the Safety car is at the moment, when the Restart will be and so on.

But aslong as there is no Pit Radio in LFS Text Messages would do it.

Dont like the suggestion to not let people join a Server during a Race. But then any Server should be able to run how the Host want it
Quote from Fischfix :one more improvement suggestion: an option to let people join a server only if there is a brake at the moment and no race going on.

I don't see any advantage in this over the current system of allowing a connection but not allowing join during mid-race. In fact, your suggestion would seem like a huge step backwards as you would only be able to join the server during very short intervals.
Quote from Fischfix :if this is possible, then why not let the grid rearange in the correct racing order?

Like in GTR2 at the top of the screen - it doesn't say when you should be ahead of the car in front though illepall
i am not talking about "every" server.
Quote from Fischfix :i am not talking about "every" server.

Was this in response to me? If so, I still don't see any advantage to anyone with your suggestion. We can already prevent people from joining mid-race. How is preventing people from joining the server and being able to spectate an improvement?
Quote from Cue-Ball :I don't see any advantage in this over the current system of allowing a connection but not allowing join during mid-race. In fact, your suggestion would seem like a huge step backwards as you would only be able to join the server during very short intervals.

Like nK and rFactor I think (only join in practice sessions). Very annoying!
Bump

I would like to suggest that when leaving a Server the player should get back to the Raceserver list Screen and not to the connections Screen.
okay maybe this was not a good idea, but what about "reject connection during first 30 seconds of a race" so no skins are downloaded during that time which is one of the most reasons why people lag in T1 and cause heavy crashes.
Quote from Fischfix :okay maybe this was not a good idea, but what about "reject connection during first 30 seconds of a race" so no skins are downloaded during that time which is one of the most reasons why people lag in T1 and cause heavy crashes.

T1 lag has nothing to do with skin downloads as far as I've ever seen. 99% of the time if someone is laggy in turn one it's because their computer can't handle that many cars in such close proximity. Skins only download when you're stopped or spectating, so once you start moving the skins don't download anyway.
+1 for everything except limiting server per controllers.
Quote from Lible :+1 for everything except limiting server per controllers.

The limiting of controllers seems a sensitive issue. I've seen a few threads thrash this discussion out, but never to a point of concencus.

I'll leave it in the list, as many have asked for it.

Personally I see it as a league-only option, not for general free-for-all servers. At the end of the day, it's a server option, under the control of the operating admin. It's really no different to a private server where the admin dictates the terms. Some have raised concern over the possiblity of all servers going this way. This I highly doubt, given the excess of available servers at the moment.
I don't see any benefit of wheel or mouse only servers. Sure it's nice to meet up with lots of fellow mousers (back before I got a wheel) and exchange tips, but driver skill is still the main determining factor in how well you get around the track.
Here's one. I would like to see a server option for a pitting window. I know pitting on the last lap has been effectively knocked on the head but infuriatingly, you can still pit on lap one. The way I see it pitstops have the function of hopefully, taking a driver out of his 'groove'. This is made redundant if they're going to pit on lap1. I'd make the window laps 4-6 on a ten lapper. That would make for some great pitlane action as well.
Obviously if you pit outside the window you'd be penalised in the usual way.
Quote from Doorman :Here's one. I would like to see a server option for a pitting window. I know pitting on the last lap has been effectively knocked on the head but infuriatingly, you can still pit on lap one. The way I see it pitstops have the function of hopefully, taking a driver out of his 'groove'. This is made redundant if they're going to pit on lap1. I'd make the window laps 4-6 on a ten lapper. That would make for some great pitlane action as well.

Even though I despise forced pitstops, I think this is a good idea. BUT, we need a very clear message to drivers as to when the pit window opens and closes. Something that works like Becky's LFS Companion (ie: audible warnings) would be best, IMO.
Quote from Doorman :Here's one. I would like to see a server option for a pitting window. I know pitting on the last lap has been effectively knocked on the head but infuriatingly, you can still pit on lap one. The way I see it pitstops have the function of hopefully, taking a driver out of his 'groove'. This is made redundant if they're going to pit on lap1. I'd make the window laps 4-6 on a ten lapper. That would make for some great pitlane action as well.

I've raced a lot in pitstops required servers, because it provides another possibility to help me turn the odds into my advantage. It's just that my speed isn't always enough to get a good result. And now if I'm told when to pit, where is all the fun?

I remember exactly that in the last races when I had to pit, I did "calculations" during all the race. That is ~17 minutes checking the time difference to front and back, trying to guess when others are going to pit and more. An example: if I start at the back and then pit on lap 1 (pitting after finishing the first lap to be exact) to not get caught in the traffic jam with half of the racers lagging and the other half driving all over the track - I'm a sinner? I've seen many times IRL F1 race, when a faster driver could not get past another driver - the pit was done sooner than planned to not lose too much time.

To my knowledge, pitting last lap is still possible if a drivers is lap or more behind the leader.
Quote from Renku :And now if I'm told when to pit, where is all the fun?

The idea is that there is a "pit window" of several laps. You're not forced to pit on a particular lap, or at the exact same time as everyone else. Many real life race series use pit windows and forced pit stops (I hate it, but they do) and some people would like to emulate that.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I don't see any advantage in this over the current system of allowing a connection but not allowing join during mid-race. In fact, your suggestion would seem like a huge step backwards as you would only be able to join the server during very short intervals.

Personally, I don't mind this at all. It allows me to access the drivers in the race, to work out if they are clean or dirty races... it also gives me a chance to think about the race before jumping in, and access the competition. If you look to the positive in it, its a very good. Personally, I think it should be a host option rather than forced one way or the other.
Some great new ideas, but we need to think how these would be implemented as well.

Pit Windows - From console or host setup.cfg file.
/pitwindowlaps=8-10,18-20,28-30
/pitwindowlaps=8,18,28-30
Some InSim Interface?
Quote from George Kuyumji :Bump

I would like to suggest that when leaving a Server the player should get back to the Raceserver list Screen and not to the connections Screen.

I think this is more a client behaviour change rather than a specific server option?
+1 to the soon to be implemented allowreset option. But I disagree with Becky's reset=retire. I would prefer completely disabled reset key. And shift+S (which is obviously not an accidentally hit key) = retire from race.
Quote from RAYfighter :+1 to the soon to be implemented allowreset option. But I disagree with Becky's reset=retire. I would prefer completely disabled reset key. And shift+S (which is obviously not an accidentally hit key) = retire from race.

So the player would just sit indefinitely as they are. The problem I see with this is, in some situations where a car is damage beyond driving or out of fuel, can be left on the racing line.
Quote from Macfox :So the player would just sit indefinitely as they are. The problem I see with this is, in some situations where a car is damage beyond driving or out of fuel, can be left on the racing line.

Most servers that would implement this are league servers where the admin can remove the car by forcing to spectate after the pace car comes out.
What is the difference between the player retiring and the server server admin retiring the player?

In any case we'd probably need two options to cover all bases.

reset=retire
reset=no
Only read 1st post.

Possibility for admins to contact player who have blocked messages.
Possibility to set the the remaining time of a qualifying session to 0.
Admins should be able to arrange the grid in the lobby.

Server options wishlist
(220 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG