The online racing simulator
Server options wishlist
(220 posts, started )
Well, ok in leagues I can see it as a legitimage issue. However, in the public servers. It could ruin our fun, and drastically reduce the number of servers if alot of servers change over to wheel only. I dunno, add a league thing or something that allows leagues to do it, but not in public. As I said, adding in discrimination because of a persons financial resources sux, and that is the issue. Everyone would love a good wheel, but not all of us can afford it. I'd hate to think I bought your product, only to be locked out of servers cause of this.
Also.. add removal of the damn automatic minimisation of LFS to windows pls.
Quote from Venus :Well, ok in leagues I can see it as a legitimage issue. However, in the public servers. It could ruin our fun, and drastically reduce the number of servers if alot of servers change over to wheel only. I dunno, add a league thing or something that allows leagues to do it, but not in public. As I said, adding in discrimination because of a persons financial resources sux, and that is the issue. Everyone would love a good wheel, but not all of us can afford it. I'd hate to think I bought your product, only to be locked out of servers cause of this.

Agreed that wouldn't be ideal. Definitely a league think IMO, but this thread is about everyones suggestions not just mine, so enuff from me on the topic.

On the minimising topic. Is this a client thing? Like when it connects/server list tec. If so there's an option already to stop that. It needed for possible firewall/Internet connection dialogs that popup in the background on first sign of internet traffic.
Something I'd love to see.

The ability for a host to create a script/table. With acceptable lap times for there server. Anyone who does a laptime below that over 3 laps (3 cause, 1 might be an accident, 2 might be accident, but not 3) is kicked automatically by the server (not the host). It would get rid of alot of the trouble.
Quote from Venus :Something I'd love to see.

The ability for a host to create a script/table. With acceptable lap times for there server. Anyone who does a laptime below that over 3 laps (3 cause, 1 might be an accident, 2 might be accident, but not 3) is kicked automatically by the server (not the host). It would get rid of alot of the trouble.

I'd be willing to bet that this is already possible using InSim.
Quote from Macfox :On the minimising topic. Is this a client thing? Like when it connects/server list tec. If so there's an option already to stop that. It needed for possible firewall/Internet connection dialogs that popup in the background on first sign of internet traffic.

No, its when you are in a server, or in single player, in a race. For no reason, it just drops to windows (as if I've pressed Alt Tab) and I've not touched the keyboard (using my joystick). Its really very annoying, and I can't see why its doing it.

Another thing. I have mine set to full screen. But it seems whether its full screen or windowed when I load it, is a lottery. I'd love that fixed too pls.

Venus
Really Cue-Ball? How? I don't really understand what In-Sim is. I thought it was more that it allowed you to stream a game (mp) to a 3rd party viewer.

V
Quote from Venus :Really Cue-Ball? How? I don't really understand what In-Sim is. I thought it was more that it allowed you to stream a game (mp) to a 3rd party viewer.

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know exactly how someone would go about making an InSim script to do this, but I'm sure it's possible. If you look at the STCC servers they only accept people with certain licenses. For instance, you can't join the Silver server if you only have a Bronze license. It also has a stipulation that you must be within X% of the fastest driver on the server or you get told to practice offline and booted. The options here are almost limitless. The only real restriction is your programming ability and the data that is recorded by InSim.
Since V2 it is possible to define a log file (/log=X)

I'd also like to be able to define a config file (cfg.txt, (NOT setup.cfg))

Currently, cfg.txt can be used to:
  • define the host's "player name": Ply Name X
  • and to enable message logging. Log Messages 1
However, I guess it would make more sense to completely merge cfg.txt with setup.cfg, rendering cfg.txt unnecessary for dedicated servers.
Hi,

Something I think should be considered to be added for servers, is to allow players not only to choose the track they want, but also the cars they want and have it restricted to just that car during that session. Currently, if you select all the cars, they can race any one they like. It'd be nice if they select a car, they all drive that car.

Thanks

Ven
Quote from Venus :No, its when you are in a server, or in single player, in a race. For no reason, it just drops to windows (as if I've pressed Alt Tab) and I've not touched the keyboard (using my joystick). Its really very annoying, and I can't see why its doing it.

Another thing. I have mine set to full screen. But it seems whether its full screen or windowed when I load it, is a lottery. I'd love that fixed too pls.

Venus

I'd lodge a bug report, if it's not already reported. Definitely a client thing though.
Quote from Venus :Hi,

Something I think should be considered to be added for servers, is to allow players not only to choose the track they want, but also the cars they want and have it restricted to just that car during that session. Currently, if you select all the cars, they can race any one they like. It'd be nice if they select a car, they all drive that car.

Thanks

Ven

Added
Thanks mac .... yeh I will file a bug report
Quote from felplacerad :However, I guess it would make more sense to completely merge cfg.txt with setup.cfg, rendering cfg.txt unnecessary for dedicated servers.

Whats the advantage of that? I guess your talking about the server config. I think its better left as separate. Besides, in the client, it wouldn't even be there, unless its acting as a server.

V
I'd like something to be added please.

The ability for the host to define a standard setup that all have to use. It would be a nice equaliser. It would also simply solve alot of those arguments going on in the http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=21095
thread.

V
Quote from Venus :Whats the advantage of that? I guess your talking about the server config. I think its better left as separate.

V

have you noticed which thread you're posting in? this thread is entitled "server options wishlist", where should i put my suggestion if not here?

im running a number of servers from the same directory. since all servers use the same cfg.txt i can not set the ply name differently for each server. this leaves us with three options:
  1. do nothing
  2. tell setup.cfg which cfg.txt to use
  3. move the cfg.txt options directly into setup.cfg
Sure, the ply name option is sort of a novelty feature but it's still there and server hosts are using it. Lets clean things up by having all the server options in the same file!

Now tell me, what's the advantage of keeping them separate?

Mac,

Limit Reset Car availability. *Will be released in next update: This feature is still not fully implemented.
Allow admin to end qualification early: Possible in V3 and later.
Always allow admin to connect as spectator even if full: Possible in V3 and later. (Well, sort of. check out /adminslots)
Ahh I see what you mean. I run only one server, so obviously havn't noticed that problem.

There is however something that needs addressing immediately. Mac has already added it, but I'd love to see it made a priotity. That is the ability to select all cars, but force all players to use the same car, and vote to change. On that, I'd also like to see a time or based cycle of tracks/cars introduced.

V
Well, I've been speaking with someone about a server, and using FTP access to the directory to start the server, but using /reinit to reload the .cfg file doesn't work, it only kills all connections. I would like to have a /reinit2 or similar command that does a full kill of the server, and reloads the edited .cfg file?

Just a small request that I think other servers that are co-located could use also.
Also, as an addition to my previous suggestion, maybe having a list of usernames in the cfg file of people who can restart the server with /reinit or /reinit2, so then you don't get admins restarting the server that shouldn't need to (becuase they don't have FTP ability to edit the config file.)
Quote from Venus :I'd like something to be added please.

The ability for the host to define a standard setup that all have to use. It would be a nice equaliser. It would also simply solve alot of those arguments going on in the http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=21095
thread.

V

Already in list... Yes?

Enforced setups. Lock to default/standard/factory setup or lock out particular setup changes.
Quote from felplacerad :...im running a number of servers from the same directory....

Good idea. We need an "include" directive in the setup.cfg, so common configurations can be set across multiple servers.

/include=allservers.cfg

Quote from felplacerad :
Mac,

Limit Reset Car availability. *Will be released in next update: This feature is still not fully implemented.
Allow admin to end qualification early: Possible in V3 and later.
Always allow admin to connect as spectator even if full: Possible in V3 and later. (Well, sort of. check out /adminslots)

1. I guess it will be released in the next incompatable patch (X)
2 & 3. Thanks. Updated. Just seen this in the W update!. All great news and show the devs are open to some of our ideas.
Quote from Macfox :

Enforced setups. Lock to default/standard/factory setup or lock out particular setup changes.

Yes, enforced setups. Enable everyone to run the same setup. So the only difference is driver ability. However; I'm willing to admit, not too many people would like it. I'm not too sure how much I'd use it on my server; but I'd love the option to if I wanted.

V
Good option for competitions. I've wished I had that option at a few LAN comps. A few of the drivers had DL setups which gave ~.5sec a lap advantage. Made it difficult for newcomers to compete.
1) Autokick after x minutes

We need an option that automatically kicks spectators who are just saving their place

As our server is often full we now get players who logon and have a couple of races then spectate for several hours as if they are reserving thier place. Even when you ask them in chat why they do it they dont answer as they are AFK.

On one day we had 6 people doing this so only 17 could ever enter the race. I kick them anyway and the places a filled up with players who want to race but its a pain having to do it.

I was thinking of a setting that kicked players with no action for X minutes so say this was set to 60, at 60 minutes if they had not been in a race they are kicked automatically, after all they can rejoin.

2) Restart after x seconds

On a full server when a race ends you get this constant "Shift+R" restart messages until their are enough votes, we need a setting that restarts automatically after X seconds once a race finished
I think 1, might be a good idea, as long as it wasn't abused.. I like spectating on some servers; where I feel I really shouldn't race at till I'm better. I'm not slooooow but I'm not fast either lol... as for 2), I don't think thats a good idea. People have just done one race; and often step out to get a smoke; coffee etc, if it started as u say; then you'd end u with a bunch of cars on the grid; where the drivers stepped out for a second. I think the vote system is much fairer... it also allows those slower drivers, to finish.

V

Server options wishlist
(220 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG