The online racing simulator
Server options wishlist
(220 posts, started )
Took a look through the sticky list and didn't see it but how about an autoupdate feature (with maybe an alert notice)
"How about a pro setting? So when every guest logs in, if his PB is better than some set time, he can join to race, otherwise he has to spectate. Of course, it would be up to the host to decide if he wanted his server pro or not. "

I support this idea! I just wanted to mention the same...
Quote from Ratman :Two suggestions:

1. Ability for server admins to allow "old" (pre-X) Car reset. So if a car lays on the roof the driver can turn it back on four wheels, but without repair. Maybe combined with some time delay and/or only when track is free. We can also think of some safe "respawn-points" on fixed positions beside the track.

2. Pit stop indicators. E.g a number behind every players name which shows the number of pitstops he/she has already done. In real racing you also get this info from your team, so why not here? Also some lights at the side of the cars would be fine, like in DTM.

Excuse my bad english

#1. At the moment if you're upside down you need to spectate, then rejoin mid race (if allowed), losing your pos. This is pretty much what happens in 99% of series/codes. Given LFS is a simulation, I doubt devs would support such a feature directly, but rather only through inSim(which is possible now).

#2 Is a good idea. Perhaps it could be added to the connection/names list.

Quote from kankkune ://quest can select track yes/no
/selecttrack=x

//quest can select laps yes/no
/selectlaps=x

// midrace vote yes/no (i mean restart and race ending )
/midracevote=x

Added

Quote from KSheppard :Took a look through the sticky list and didn't see it but how about an autoupdate feature (with maybe an alert notice)

Wouldn't be trivial as host vary in security setup and how the dedicated server is launched (Win32 Service/User space/WINE/ Linux). Added.

Quote from szaszi154 :"How about a pro setting? So when every guest logs in, if his PB is better than some set time, he can join to race, otherwise he has to spectate. Of course, it would be up to the host to decide if he wanted his server pro or not. "

I support this idea! I just wanted to mention the same...

This can be acheived with inSim addons like LFSLapper today. Added.
  • Limit Driving aids, such as traction control etc.
  • Limit Controllers allowed. Wheel/keyboard/mouse only. 3 Peddles or H shifters only.
  • Enforced setups. Lock to default/standard/factory setup or lock out particular setup changes.
all +1 from me!

The ability to enforce setups or parts of setups would be a fantastic feature for many obvious reasons ^^
All unpopular options, but I've kept them in cause they have valid uses on organised comp servers IMHO. A lot of people like a level playing field, as apposed to racing against setup kings.
Quote from F.Rizzo :
  • Limit Driving aids, such as traction control etc.
  • Limit Controllers allowed. Wheel/keyboard/mouse only. 3 Peddles or H shifters only.
  • Enforced setups. Lock to default/standard/factory setup or lock out particular setup changes.
all +1 from me!

The ability to enforce setups or parts of setups would be a fantastic feature for many obvious reasons ^^

Optional ban of TC is a very very good option which, i assume, is easy to implement. I hope it will be soon in lfs, because next F1 season TC is banned in F1. Also the BF1 is real fun to drive without TC, not as hard as some people expect it to be.
My mind about the TC is that it should be the option of the server.
A suggestion i didnt find i that list: you should be able to leave the game if you are in the garage!
Please, can you add a command for both servers and single player to get rid of an AI please? There's one to add one, but not one to remove one, or all. They can be removed of course with end race, but I don't want to have to end a good race, just to remove an AI.

Thanks

Venus
Quote from Venus :Please, can you add a command for both servers and single player to get rid of an AI please? There's one to add one, but not one to remove one, or all. They can be removed of course with end race, but I don't want to have to end a good race, just to remove an AI.

/spectate <AI name>
I'd kill for an option that allowed servers to force spectate those who cause crashes. Bloody hard to code something like that, god knows how you'd do it, but jeez it'd be nice. MIght actually make ppl think more.
i think a command for the percantage of drivers that wanna restart should be there, coz i hate this when im driving in e.g lap 15 of 20 and then theres a restart, maybe there could be a command or somethin.
Added.

Command to set vote threshold
I would like an option to sort out drift and citydriving servers as well as empty, full, private and public servers.
An option to manage Restart votes.

Problem: after a chaotic start about 40% of the drivers have voted for a restart. Finally the race is going on but during the race some drivers retire. And suddenly the 40% of the drivers become 51% and the race is restarted in lap 8/10. Because the restart votes have never been cancelled. Annoying.

Suggestions:
Ability to set a duration after which all restart votes are automatically cancelled
Ability for admins to cancel all current restart votes
Ability to disallow the drivers who join mid race to vote for a restart if there are still x% of the drivers on track who have done the whole race from the start.
Quote from Fischfix :serverside pacecar triggered by admin

its just a simple AI script. car stands at the end of pits, when triggered, pacecar drives out (full course yellow), keeps a speed of max 150km/h. drives 3-5 laps (depends on track and settings), drives back into pits (race free again).

overtaking a car which does not cause a yellow flag = spectate
overtaking the pacecar = spectate
crashing the pacecar = spectate

option: pits closed while pacecar out, pits closed in lap 1 while pacecar out,...

Can not see the pace care suggestion in the list..WOULD LOVE to have one !!! This would really bring more action and more close racing at hand !

Trigger for pace car when car flips over or is idle for more then 15 seconds.
/repair_in_pit=full/partial/no
Quote from Tumz(DK) :I would like an option to sort out drift and citydriving servers as well as empty, full, private and public servers.

Added. But needs clarification/more detail. How would it be implemented given no such server classification exists ATM.

Quote from Lotesdelere :An option to manage Restart votes.

Problem: after a chaotic start about 40% of the drivers have voted for a restart. Finally the race is going on but during the race some drivers retire. And suddenly the 40% of the drivers become 51% and the race is restarted in lap 8/10. Because the restart votes have never been cancelled. Annoying.

Suggestions:
Ability to set a duration after which all restart votes are automatically cancelled
Ability for admins to cancel all current restart votes
Ability to disallow the drivers who join mid race to vote for a restart if there are still x% of the drivers on track who have done the whole race from the start.

Added Vote time outs. Vote cancel/Clear.
The last one is really tricky. It might be better to weight restart votes based on laps. So someone who has completed 6 of 10 laps has twice the voting influence of a driver who has completed only 3 of 10 laps. Does that sound like a better way? This kind of thing would be perfect for an InSim addon.

Quote from hanzime :Can not see the pace care suggestion in the list..WOULD LOVE to have one !!! This would really bring more action and more close racing at hand !

Trigger for pace car when car flips over or is idle for more then 15 seconds.

Probably because AI is all client side ATM and this thread is dedicated to server related ideas/feature requests. It's a common request in this forum, but it's one of those features that opens up a whole lot of additional issues. Such a feature would be very difficult to automate and get right 100% and could be abused easily. I've added it for completeness.

Quote from bluejudas :/repair_in_pit=full/partial/no

Added. Nice.
Quote from Macfox :It might be better to weight restart votes based on laps. So someone who has completed 6 of 10 laps has twice the voting influence of a driver who has completed only 3 of 10 laps. Does that sound like a better way?

Yes that or a simple option to block all restart votes after lap x untill the end of the race where at this time the /rstend parameter enters in action.
So we could have three /rst commands:
/rstmin=30 (in seconds, no change)
/rstrace=2 (in laps, votes allowed for the first two laps then blocked)
/rstend=60 (in seconds, no change)

Quote from Macfox :This kind of thing would be perfect for an InSim addon.

Yes, we are actually working on that but the idea is to have it as a server option, hence my post in this thread and not in the Insim requests one
Added.
Thanks

Another suggestion:
A server option to disallow the use of AI's.

It's quite annoying to see people adding an AI into the middle of a crowded race, the result is often a mayhem.
Quote from Lotesdelere :Thanks

Another suggestion:
A server option to disallow the use of AI's.

It's quite annoying to see people adding an AI into the middle of a crowded race, the result is often a mayhem.

As far as I understand, you don't specifically disable the ability to add AI's, but the option to limit the number of cars per connection, per user, or something like that is there.

That doesn't allow someone to connect and add AI car instead of joining the track themselves, if I recall.
Quote from mrodgers :That doesn't allow someone to connect and add AI car instead of joining the track themselves, if I recall.

It does allow it, hence my post
Quote from mrodgers :As far as I understand, you don't specifically disable the ability to add AI's, but the option to limit the number of cars per connection, per user, or something like that is there.

That doesn't allow someone to connect and add AI car instead of joining the track themselves, if I recall.

Yes you set the cars per host limit to 1, but even at 1, you can chosse between the player or an AI car. Pointless really.

Rob
One I think would be good ...

// no/yes: can guests vote to kick or ban
/vote=yes

If you could set it so that players could only vote to kick, and not to ban.
Something like this ...

// no/kick/ban/both: can guests vote to kick or ban
/vote=kick

That's the main reason why I don't have it turned on for my servers.
There was a huge proplem with people banning others with no valid reason.
If players could vote to kick troublemakers, but only admins could ban, that'd be good.
Added
Option to block AI players

Already listed
Finer control on vote types to allowed (/vote kick, restart, ban, qualify).

Server options wishlist
(220 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG