Server options wishlist
(220 posts, started )
Oops, sorry, I must have missed it when I read the list ...
Invalid packets being logged in the log file, with a switch in the config to enable it. The idea behind this being so that the log file can be monitored automatically by an intrusion detection system.
Added: Logging of invalid packets (inSim or Client)
Ability to disable chat during race and/or qualify sessions with option to allow chat messages for admin players.
Added Global Blocking during Race/Qual. The Admin messaging was already in the list.
Pls. add "repair engine damage yes/no" to your list of server options..
Updated: /repair_in_pit=full/minor/body/engine/no

Does this cover all options?
#158 - _ak
I'd like to have option to penalize drivers who cross white line when joining race from pits. Just like IRL, crossed line then get drive through
What about "block messages does not apply to messages from admins"? By admins, I mean human admins not serverside InSim apps (or that could be another option).
Quote from _ak :I'd like to have option to penalize drivers who cross white line when joining race from pits. Just like IRL, crossed line then get drive through

More info?
Quote from duke_toaster :What about "block messages does not apply to messages from admins"? By admins, I mean human admins not serverside InSim apps (or that could be another option).

Already in the list.

Quote :Allow admin to send messages, even if blocked.

Not sure about the second request as all inSim messages are sanctioned by the admin anyway, plus would you block inSim menus/buttons?
#162 - _ak
Quote from Macfox :More info?

Just like in Formula 1. When car exits from the pits and joins track there is white line you mustn't cross. If you do marshalls will give you drive through penalty. There is shot of WE track with that line. In online races people often don't obey it.
Attached images
lfs_00000002.jpg
Is the reverse enforced? I don't every recall it happening?
Added.
#164 - _ak
yes, this shot is for WE1R, but other side has such white line too. I don't remember if crossing line at pit entry is allowed or not, must be yes.
Was thinking more about cars on the track crossing the pit exit?
#166 - _ak
Cars doing normal lap are allowed to cross it, penalty is applicable for rejoing cars

There is snippet from champcar rules
Quote :
6.22.5. Pit Lane Protocol. Once in the pit lane (as defined by the blend line)
drivers must remain within the designated traffic lanes, and may not overtake
by using the inside lane. Drivers entering their pit boxes may not enter by
directly crossing from the outside lane. Drivers moving from the outside to the
inside lane must give way to race cars in the inside lane and not force cars in
the inside lane to slow or take evasive action. When leaving their pit boxes,
drivers must yield to approaching traffic and stay in the inside lane while
accelerating. Drivers exiting their pit boxes may not enter the outside lane of
the pit lane until their speed is at or near the speed limit.

However, I've never seen penalties for crossing line at entry. I'll look more for rules from other series
Here some of my ideas for making a InSim app:
- possible to add ip adress in a connection (to use with other applications eg: webapplications)
- ping users (to make a low ping server without anybody lagging)
- a packet to send a car-reset to a user (with a true / false boolean to repair the car or not)

Just some things wich could be handy I guess..
Quote from G. Dierckx :
- possible to add ip adress in a connection (to use with other applications eg: webapplications)
- ping users (to make a low ping server without anybody lagging)

Can you elaborate on these options. Ping has been requested already, but not as a InSim function/packet.
Quote from Macfox :Can you elaborate on these options. Ping has been requested already, but not as a InSim function/packet.

well it's all for the InSim client actually, if a NCN packet gets received, it contains username, playername etc.. if it also would contain the ip adress of the client, it would be handy for external applications.

The reset packet would be nice for some InSim based games. So u can send a RESET packet wich contains a playerid and then the server resets that placer (same as u would press space bar, but then the insim does this for u)
Reset can already be done with InSim... see InSim.txt with the dedicated server zip.

Added inSim NCN IP address.
Quote from Macfox :Reset can already be done with InSim... see InSim.txt with the dedicated server zip.

Added inSim NCN IP address.

OFFTOPIC: No suggestion, just saying great job and great knowledge MacFox!
I would like to see a car collision packet added to insim, Dont think its been suggested in this thread. This is what i was thinking.

struct IS_CCT // Car ConTact
{
byte Size; // Size
byte Type; // IS_CCT
byte ReqI; // 0
byte ObjectHit; // bitwise, 0 = Car/Player, 1 = Wall/Static object
int PowerHit; // ????
byte PLID // PLID of the driver that caused crash?
byte CarHitPLID; // 0 if object hit = Wall/Static object
}

Just a rough idea.
Quote from mcgas001 :I would like to see a car collision packet added to insim, Dont think its been suggested in this thread. This is what i was thinking.

struct IS_CCT // Car ConTact
{
byte Size; // Size
byte Type; // IS_CCT
byte ReqI; // 0
byte ObjectHit; // bitwise, 0 = Car/Player, 1 = Wall/Static object
int PowerHit; // ????
byte PLID // PLID of the driver that caused crash?
byte CarHitPLID; // 0 if object hit = Wall/Static object
}

Just a rough idea.

<IMHO>
I've seen similar requests in other threads, and from what has been said, the netcode "probably" doesn't favour a simple solution to add such a packet.

The nature of LFS netcode being p2p and UDP based, it's quite feasible the server doesn't see or need to see every position update, which would be needed to fully detect collisions accurately. Several of LFS hacks and weird teleporting inside other cars, seems to back up the fact that the netcode implicitly trusts each client with it's own track position, within certain bounds of realism.

Does that make sense?

I'll added the request to the list, but I wouldn't hold your breath, given the above challenges and despite many people wanting such a feature, including myself.
Quote from RAYfighter :OFFTOPIC: No suggestion, just saying great job and great knowledge MacFox!

Cheers Buddy.
Quote from Macfox :<IMHO>
I've seen similar requests in other threads, and from what has been said, the netcode "probably" doesn't favour a simple solution to add such a packet.

The nature of LFS netcode being p2p and UDP based, it's quite feasible the server doesn't see or need to see every position update, which would be needed to fully detect collisions accurately. Several of LFS hacks and weird teleporting inside other cars, seems to back up the fact that the netcode implicitly trusts each client with it's own track position, within certain bounds of realism.

Does that make sense?

I'll added the request to the list, but I wouldn't hold your breath, given the above challenges and despite many people wanting such a feature, including myself.

Okies, You can remove it if you want, Was only something that sprung to mind.

Server options wishlist
(220 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG