The online racing simulator
I believe I have opened up all the required ports in my router and firewall

I am trying to run a dedi server on a pc connected to the internet through a router. There are two other pcs on the router.

I am using your bat file and cfg file.

With use master off everything looks fine but trying to connect from one of the other PCs using the ip address of the server (192.168.1.103) is reports client connect; connect failed.

with use master on I get a could not connect to master server error.

I have tried it with the firewall diabled so I don't think that can be the problem. The most likely cause therefore seems to be th router which is a Linksys BEFSR41. It has a port forwardinf section for both TCP and UPD but I am not sure of the outgoing port (TCP/29339) being opened. Could this be labelled as something else?

Maxim
Quote from MaximUK :With use master off everything looks fine but trying to connect from one of the other PCs using the ip address of the server (192.168.1.103) is reports client connect; connect failed.

Does it still do this with the firewall off?

Quote from MaximUK :with use master on I get a could not connect to master server error.

It sounds like theres another firewall of some kind preventing the server from talking to anything tbh

Quote from MaximUK :The most likely cause therefore seems to be th router which is a Linksys BEFSR41.

Unlikely. If you cant connect across the LAN, using the LAN IP, then its more likely to be a firewall problem as in this instance the system wont be using the port forwarding. However, if I remember correctly the BEFSR41 I used to have (I'm surprised yours is still running) didnt port forward properly in the first place and it dropped packets left right and centre.
I installed the server on one of the other PC's and it connects to the master server ok. I can connect locally to this one once I switch the port forwarding and I can see the server in LFSWorld, but I can't see it in game using the 3rd PC.

on the one I was originally trying I even rebooted after switching off the firewall and I went through the list of processes switching everything off I could. That pc is dual boot and neither install would let me run the server and find the master server.

Maxim
I think I'm going to have to sleep on this one and look at it afresh over the morning coffee with a bit of paper to doodle/dribble on...
Don't worry too much about the problem PC. I only want the server temporarily so I can afford to use it on the on ethat almost works.

I haven't changed anything since last night but this morning I can connect ok to the version running on the 2nd PC. Still no joy with the one I hoped to run it on but no great loss.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Maxim
I am setting my server up...I cant get it so other people can see it...I got a friend to check it...what do I do???
Give us something to work with. For ****s sake.

1. Do you have a firewall?
2. What's your network infrastructure? (Do you have a router, or are you directly connected to the internet?)

If they can't see it, the likely answer is that the listening connection LFS creates cannot be seen by the outside world. This either means you need to open the ports in your firewall (see the first post), or if you have a router you need to forward the ports correctly (see the first post).
I am directly to the internet and yes I have a firewall
Quote from the_angry_angel :I've run the LFS dedicated server on much lower specc'ed machines - assuming the laptop isn't doing much else, that should be perfectly fine

Just make sure the laptop is not running off batteries, otherwise it will run slower.
Unless the laptop declocks itself to a speed lower than 200MHz, running the dedicated server shouldn't be a problem (admittedly it depends on whats going on with the rest of the machine).
Question... Im trying to set up my dedi and something is not working... When I try to drag/drop my .cfg into my .bat, the black .bat window poppes up for a second and then goes away, any clues to what im doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...
-Dustin
Drag and drop? You've lost me there.

Try running the bat file from a command prompt (start > run > type "cmd", click ok, then cd path\to\LFS\dedicated, then type in the name of the batch file). It should fail, as before, but will retain the error message
erm, when you say...
  • Start the server. I usually create a batch file containing Code:
    lfs.exe /cfg=<PATH TO CFG FILE>

You can edit and use my batch file attached if you dont know how to make one.

I copied the setup, named it what I wanted and and config'ed the .bat to say this... <cfg=DWLYTS.cfg>
In this instance, you want:
lfs.exe /cfg=DWLYTS.cfg
aha, that did the trick. 1 more question... is there a way to change "host" to my name?

edit, my EVIL POST muwahahaha
Attached images
666th post.PNG
Not that I'm aware of, I'm afraid.
I've seen servers where host has been changed to something else, for example the STCC server have something like STCC Alpha V instead of host.
Quote from Davo :I've seen servers where host has been changed to something else, for example the STCC server have something like STCC Alpha V instead of host.

I've also seen the carribbian cruise to something like their website as a name
lol this might sound odd but, I cant get it back running! Okay when I tried you path\to\LFS\DEDI I got extremely comfused... This is what I tried (attachment)
Attached images
bat confusion.PNG
Just copy the folder over to C:\ instead of my documents and get rid of all that comfusing nonsense.
Quote from Davo :Just copy the folder over to C:\ instead of my documents and get rid of all that comfusing nonsense.

then what do I run?
Create a new shortcut to LFS.exe and change the properties to include your config file. e.g attached.
Attached images
server.png
hello!
i have a network, where connections between users(p2p) are not alowed... all users have only 1 connection to a game server.

does lfs-dedicated server need a direct user-to-user connection or it works with a pure client-server technology? will it work in my situation?
It's a "traditional" server-client system. However, there are multiple connections on multiple ports and protocols per user.
Quote from the_angry_angel :It's a "traditional" server-client system. However, there are multiple connections on multiple ports and protocols per user.

sorry i dont understand.
will LFS-server work in such network?

users have adress 10.253.1-254.*

and they can ONLY connect to 10.253.0.*

if i run dedicated server on 10.253.0.2 this will work? or users must have direct connection between each other?

---
i tried to start NFSU server but it doesnt work because NFSU need p2p connections to be allowed. i want to know LFS is the same?

...sorry for my bad english pls.

Guide: Running an LFS Server
(666 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG