The online racing simulator
My speakers cannot even play a frequency greater then like 15kHz. All I get above that is clicking.
Google 'blown tweeter'
lol.
xaotik u didnt understand what i said
a compressor is a scaler.
nothing more to add though.
Quote from Flycantbird :I doubt that I've heard up to 20K since I was 3 years old. Definatly not since I was 10, when I discoved that ROCK MUSIC should be played FAR TOO LOUDLY.

:headbang:

Hehe,

Yeah 20K is pretty ideal - for a newborn illepall

ON TOPIC:

Does anyone else have a problem with Calibration Lock going off everytime you exit LFS? I have to do the "Press Pedals, Turn Wheel Left/ Right" drill everytime I start LFS, and Calib Lock is always off when I check - even when I turn it on and exit LFS and restart....
Ok, just had a large go around with U36. In general, I think it's pretty good. I like a lot, and think it far better than U30.

I only have one small thing, since it's 4am in LFS time - if it's not too late, I think the air sound in the GTRs (FXR, XRR especially) could do with some amplifying. Sorry, I know I said it before, but it's just that these are paper thin cars with tiny engines and massive turbochargers... It needs to be louder. It's almost perfect soundwise in the FXR, it just needs to be louder. It takes a LOT of air to make 500HP from 2L, and with no sound deadening you I'm certain it would be terribly obvious just how much air is being consumed. The FXR is quite inspiring in this department as is, it just needs more - and the XRR is in need. Give it at least 25%, maybe a little more - seriously. Sorry to mention it again.

And thanks Scawen for your patience and amazing work this last week. If I was you.... I would've strangled a lot of people this week. Kudos for (at least visibly ) keeping your cool and doing such great work. Thanks again, LFS is truly a better experience because of this week.
Engine Sound Test (10 updated engines)
OK, I had to stay up late to sort out a few more engines, I knew some of them could be improved within the current system.

So click this link if you'd like to test 10 engine sounds. It was 8 which actually have a changed sound but I just added your request for the GTR Turbo air intakes, BBT.

Please back up your engine folder first so you can compare the new and old versions. If they are liked by most people when I get up then they can go in patch and version V. You can reload an engine by pitting in and out (or entry screen and back - any car reload) you don't need to restart LFS.

EDIT : (link removed) The updated sounds for U36 were liked by most people. I have now made some minor adjustments and fixed the gearwhine looping click, so there's a slightly better version here :

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=293306#post293306
WOW, Thanks SO much Scawen.. I don't even know how to pronounce your name (being from Canada, but ... ) THANKS! I just came back here to by chance because I just went to run LFS again (addict) and I got "Could not initialize graphics" on a small dialogue box, and it would not run I will now download the test that you just did, and reboot ( assuming that will fix my error ) and report back within 30 minutes. Thanks again

Edit: WTF, LFS did run... just in a minimized window... Oh well, whatever testing engines now!
I tested RAC and RB4 and I don't like the nasal sound of the newest zip-file.

The muffling of the RB4 in U36 was comparable to a real car I think (though I never really heard a flat engine).

I guess the RAC should have the new roar (but without the nasal tone). Maybe that's how the engine sounds like and a proper exhaust simulation will improve things (that's how I understand the current sounds).
The RB4 is not a flat engine

I just had a go in the FXR, then the XRR, then the FXR, then the XRR... etc

I really, REALLY like it now. At first I was thinking that the XRR could use a bit more, but I did my testing on WE1R which is fast obviously. So I slowed down and fooled around at low speeds, in both cars. Now I think it's perfect ( the air intake sound on the turbo GTRs ). I would suspect you used the same "factor" in both cars for this sound, but the engine note of the XRR is a bit more powerful and has higher frequencies which makes the intake noise seem quieter. But I truly think it's bang on in terms of relation the the engines and other sounds now. Thanks again for addressing this; off to test the other cars now

E: Heh, for once being on the wrong side of the planet pays off
I just tested with LX4, recorded the same lap with fraps with U36 and these new test sounds, and it is definately better now!! It is more vroarrrrrr than vooooooooo as it was before.. and it screams more on higher revs now!!! Deffinately a better LX4 now!! Great work Scawen, great work, hope these new sounds end up in Patch V...
Some reason I'm not getting any turbo sounds, now woosh no whiiiii from turbine, nothing, just engine combustion sounds, gear change sounds and gearbox whine.

This did come with these latest changes in sounds, U35 I guess it was that I installed, updated to U36 and now tested with new engine sounds.

How it is with others?
I must say these sounds are the best yet. Thankyou
Quote from JTbo :Some reason I'm not getting any turbo sounds, now woosh no whiiiii from turbine, nothing, just engine combustion sounds, gear change sounds and gearbox whine.

This did come with these latest changes in sounds, U35 I guess it was that I installed, updated to U36 and now tested with new engine sounds.

How it is with others?

I did fresh install and updated to U35, still same, not any sounds from turbo.
Ok, I tested all the new cars. Numerous times!

The think the RB4 and RAC are quite mean sounding now, I like it! The FXO appears to have some of it's "flatness" back, and sounds pretty well rounded now. Improvement overall I would say. I like what the fellow described as "nasal" sounds in the RB4 and RAC, I think it's pretty accurate TBH. Any more aggression from those two cars would be OTT for a road car . FXO might be a tad mild, but I think it's not far off for what it is right now.

The LX4 isn't a LOT different, but just enough to notice and sounds less monotonous, and less "boomy". This is good.

The LX6 is really nice NOW, Anton, if you still don't like it... somethings wrong with your fancyass headphones bud! (hehe) It has a real snarl, lets you know when you're out of breath, and has a nifty intake "whine" off the throttle.. Kind of says "Cmon, get back on it wimp, I'll show you what I've got".... LX6 is much better than U36, and slightly better than U35 now.

FZR is still mild but sounds better than U36. Too much air intake sound for an NA car IMO. I realize it takes X amount of air to burn X amount of fuel to make X amount of power (basically.....), and it has as much power as the two 4 cyl turbo cars... However, something doesn't work out with that. Perhaps think of it that the turbo GTRs are taking in 3 times the air per ~1.7/3 displacement compared to the FZR's NA flat 6.... almost 3 total atmospheres 14.7+24LBS, compared to one total atmosphere for the FZR 14.7lbs... Geez, that math is messing with my head... too much wine perhaps... Hmm, the XRR and FXR have an IDENTICAL power curve And I see, the FZR revs 30% more, and has 80% more displacement. Makes sense, however the FZR should be noisier mechanically up high IMO. I shouldn't be able to hear the air sucking in over the roar of an 7000-8500RPM NA engine... Other than that, nothing at all to whine about. Sounds great to me!

Have a great Christmas- by the time I get up I suspect patch V will be out...
Quote from JTbo :Some reason I'm not getting any turbo sounds, now woosh no whiiiii from turbine, nothing, just engine combustion sounds, gear change sounds and gearbox whine.

How it is with others?

Very strange all this. I noticed no turbo/blowoff valve noises in U35. I was about to post it as a bug... then I saw U36 was up. Woot woot. Then the BOV/Turbo came back in U36. Not tried the new zip engines as of yet. (At work atm)

It shows some great foresight this new engine model I think. Seems to be easier to tweak and improve on than pre u30. We've had many changes to engine sounds in just a few short days. It can only get vastly better from here now that the foundation has been laid. Awesome stuff.
Quote from JasonJ :Very strange all this. I noticed no turbo/blowoff valve noises in U35. I was about to post it as a bug... then I saw U36 was up. Woot woot. Then the BOV/Turbo came back in U36. Not tried the new zip engines as of yet. (At work atm)

It shows some great foresight this new engine model I think. Seems to be easier to tweak and improve on than pre u30. We've had many changes to engine sounds in just a few short days. It can only get vastly better from here now that the foundation has been laid. Awesome stuff.

Hmm, this bothers me now, I did update to U36 now and those sounds did not came back. I used lfsforum.net link from ingame update menu.

Something must be then not right here. I try updated sounds now to test if those do help to situation.

edit: Tested updated sounds and still no turbo sounds.

What do you need to know?

System:
WinXP SP2
A64 3200+
1GB ram
MSI K8N Neo Platinum mb with integrated realtek alc850 audio chip, driver version 5.10.0.5780
Ati Radeon x850 xt (agp) Catalyst something, moment, version 6.6

Well I guess those are not problem, but you never know.
Are you using headphones JTbo?
I would say it´s a huge step forward with sounds in lfs.
I like U36 - the ZIP-content is a tick better...
... tested rac, fzr and fox.

FZR-Sound is very well now.

Good work.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Are you using headphones JTbo?

Yes, Sony MDR-CD280, connected trough stereo system so that I can hear all :P

Here is replay as I build boost there just is no any turbo sound that I could hear, does it work on your system?

I captured video with fraps that does amplify audio so much that it starts to break, now there can be heard a bit of turbo sound when turbo spools down, but very quiet it is, completely impossible to hear when playing.
mp3 file here
Quote from JTbo :Yes, Sony MDR-CD280, connected trough stereo system so that I can hear all :P

Here is replay as I build boost there just is no any turbo sound that I could hear, does it work on your system?

Definately works on mine, didnt even need to turn the volume up on my speakers. I hear all turbo sounds.
Quote from (SaM) :Definately works on mine, didnt even need to turn the volume up on my speakers. I hear all turbo sounds.

I had to put volume quite loud and treble setting to max from stereo to get some of it.

I made now mp3 file that is playing same level as my game audio when I play in media player with mediaplayer's volume set to max.

Maybe I'm loosing my hearing or something?
JTbo...

I can hear it fine in your replay, and your insanely loud MP3, and the last MP3.... I'm not trying to be flippant, but in truth if you can't hear that then you might indeed be losing your upper range of hearing ... I don't know what to say; I think it sounds fine my friend
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :JTbo...

I can hear it fine in your replay, and your insanely loud MP3, and the last MP3.... I'm not trying to be flippant, but in truth if you can't hear that then you might indeed be losing your upper range of hearing ... I don't know what to say; I think it sounds fine my friend

Ehhh, you saying me gettin old? LOL, maybe that is the case, but nice to get verification

Luckily can still hear all those nice sounds in real car with real turbo

Edit: Ok Scawen you can go now to bed, sorry to keep you awake
Quote from JTbo :Ehhh, you saying me gettin old? LOL, maybe that is the case, but nice to get verification

Uhhh... Well uh.... Er, YOU said it not me !
I like the way the RAC sounds. Haven't tried U36 yet.
This thread is closed

TEST Patch U35 (obsolete)
(382 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG