The online racing simulator
Quote from Shotglass :or chinese production quality simply is bad ... which it is to my knowledge

a word of warning as the following is potentially overly critical but imho the g25 has a lot of design and qc issues including the badly deburred metal, bad pedal placement, the acentric wheel axis, paddles that dont have a real pressure point and most of all the noisy gears

It's down to who they employ for quality control really, if they don't find somenoe who does it well the manufacturers will just cut every corner in the production process.
Quote from JJ72 :It's down to who they employ for quality control really, if they don't find somenoe who does it well the manufacturers will just cut every corner in the production process.

obviously yeah
but i know from quite a few people that apparently the percentage of unuseable production is shockingly high in chinese factories ... it still seems to work out though since labour is that cheap and workers are basically disposeable (a european trail of thought im not particularly proud of)
Well, my G25 shipped yesterday - should be here today or tomorrow :woohoo:

Hopefully I don't notice the same shortcommings as a few in this thread .

Apparantly it has enough force to do bodily harm... Just ask Tristan

Still excited to try it out!
I'm pissed off now, I changed where I ordered it from, and now NCIX has it, gonna call when I get home in an hour, and see if I can change it, or if Frontier has it yet.
mine arrived at home today but no one was there to sign for it... so its being picked up tomorrow and then sent over here to me so i should get it on monday or tuesday!! cant wait!!
Quote from Shotglass :all i can say is that after the second wheel i got was faulty as well i asked for a refund and im not alone on this
so now im back with the dfp which has a shitty value to price ratio as well but at least i can use it in the night (that actually makes it better value than the g25 ... at least the ones i had)

the way i see it logitech has the momo with spiking pedals, the dfp with pedals that are prone to go bad as well and that is too slow to be of any real use in 720° and the g25 which has the issues i mentioned above
point of all this ? i wont buy any more logitech wheels ... at least not ones that havent been on the market for at least a year without any serious issues popping up

When I wanted to order a wheel a year ago I checked some forums and saw quality issues about the dfp all over the place. So I decided to get my RGT pro and hope for the best... and it actually is a very good wheel! The only thing you hear about the thrustmaster wheel is that the paddles could break under heavy usage (of some noobs who tend to drive like wrestlers I presume). My wheel feels relly good, nothing broke, no pedal spiking, no Problems at all - plus it "only" cost 100 Euros, which I think is enough for a wheel. In fact the value to price ratio compared to the G25 is very good. I would rather buy a cheap car with nothing but the most neccessary in it than a crappy mercedes that doesn't go anywhere except on the lifting ramp

cya guys, I'm racing

der butz
"Out for Delivery"... :woohoo:

This means I will have it today... So...

SHOULD I use it for LXCC tomorrow? :
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :"Out for Delivery"... :woohoo:

This means I will have it today... So...

SHOULD I use it for LXCC tomorrow? :

Yes, but make it mimic your current settings. If you used a momo before (I forget if you do), set it to 270 degrees etc, and only use two pedals and paddles (or sequential if that's what you used). You'll get better feedback, and more feel that the momo, but without having to relearn everything.

After the league race you can learn clutches and shifters. No point handicapping your speed just through novelty.
Yeah you're right.

As it is, I use Momo with a clutch pedal & sequential shifter. I will just set the G25 for Sequential and 270deg. Going to be hard not to fool around with 720 mode & H shifter tonight though

Edit: Not that I have much speed to handicap
Mine arrived yesterday.

No flaws I can see - stiching is good, paddles aren't sharp, no excessive noise that I can detect, etc.

I absolutely love it. It's night and day compared to all the other wheels I've tried (granted they weren't as expensive).

I haven't bothered with the shifter yet, other than to verify it worked. I prefer paddles.

The lack of buttons on the wheel is not an issue ( for me ). Two on the wheel for 'look left' and 'look right', which is the most urgent reason to have buttons on the wheel. With the gearshift mounted next to the wheel, and the gearshift out of the way ( in reverse ), I just reach over and tap a button for 'reset' or 'speedlimiter', both of which I know I'm going to need ahead of time.

The four red buttons along the bottom are fine for smilies, 'good race', and "Sorry I only use DEFAULT SET" quotes.

I was expecting some minor issues, and have had none. I'm thrilled with the performance of it. The only issue is relearning how to drive with it. The brakes in particular take some getting used to. I've already improved two pb's on tracks I dont run that often ( no bad habits to break I guess). On tracks I'm highly familiar with, I'm within a few tenths, and it's honestly a case of me not believing I can do things I wouldn't have thought of with the momo racing wheel. I was actually able to drive - almost enjoy - the RAC.

NOTE:
I did have an issue loading the software - my computer wouldn't recognize the autorun, and when I searched the disk, I couldn't find an appropriate setup for 32 bit installation. Might be something to do with XP, or operator error, but the response time was unusually slow with the CD.

I went to the logitech site and d/l'd the latest software, and it installed with no problem. Prior to this, I skipped the profiler installation, and let XP detect the new hardware. It showed up as a DFP wheel, and I couldn't access the gated gearshift. The logitech file has all the drivers needed, if you should run into any similar problems.
Quote from bobsmash :What would you guys reccomend as the best pedal set to get, with a clutch?

any of those with a pressure sensitive brake
@bobsmash:

If you want some nice simulation hardware, there are lots to choose from. But as I was once in your position to buy a lot of expensive things, I thought to myself if it was really worth it... It is really only worth it when knowing the stuff you bought is really cool and probably feels nice... but the two biggest downsides were (in my opinion) that you are spending a crapload of cash plus it won't make you a faster driver if you get better gear. There are users getting world records on the DFP, G25, and other Logitech wheels, and there really isn't a need to have expensive controllers.

If you are a real fanatic and want the cool stuff, by all means go for it, but the G25 is like a quarter of the investment you'd put into some really expensive controllers, and there honestly isn't such a big downside to it. Sure the shifter isn't perfect, and the wheel might buzz a bit more to the left, but it still is a great product, and I am very happy with it. It is the only Logitech wheel I'd ever want at the moment, and particularly because it is very accurate and smooth in terms of precision. The DFP and MOMO wheels I have used in the past were just terrible, and nowadays I feel more consistent and 'in control' with the pedals and the wheel. I don't use the shifter much at all... I really only use that when I want to mess around and not be in a competitive mood.

All I am saying is that you shouldn't let many opinions on the G25 change your mind completely, and especially if you want to buy expensive hardware elsewhere... be careful what you shop for, it just won't be worth it if you are looking to go easy on the spending while needing something decent to be quick in. If you are a fast driver, reasons for stepping up to having something nice and 'mechanical' are understood, yet if you are an average simulation fan... just buy a wheel like the G25 or something. If you got a DFP recently, just use that until it wears down. You may want to get the Act Labs shifter, but I sold mine because I never used it that much. You'll find that all you really ever need in LFS or other simulations is just a decent wheel, set of pedals (2 or 3) and paddle shifters. That's it All the extra gear is just 'bling' for fun.
I got my replacement G25 2 days ago but this replacement one is loud, feels rough, gives 2X as much strength as the first one, and the shifter is a pain in the A$$ (the new knob is nicer tho )
Quote from bobsmash :Such as? I've been looking at some of the stuff from frex

You could check the RSC equipment section. There are many good pedal systems (haven't tried any of them) from VPP, ECCI, TCannon with at least something force sensitive related. Just to name a few. But as tweaker said, they won't necessarily make you faster
There's no recent sim that has a recreation of Laguna Seca, you'll have to stick to GT4 for that. But LFS has some very well thought out tracks, and its by far the best sim money can buy..works great with the DFP too
Just got my G25! Must... not... pass... out... :hyper:
I got mine on Saturday.... 3.5 laps into the LXCC race I really really really like it a lot. It's not even funny how much better both the wheel / pedals are. The shifter suits my purposes fine, I don't know what the bitching is about

The stitching on mine is fine, the paddles cause no lacerations, it sounds the same in both directions, and it's 10x quieter than my Momo EVER was.

Well worth the dough! I should kick myself for even considering cancelling it due to this thread

*kicks self*

ouch.
*kicks Jeff :P *

Wants my G25 NOW!
Oh god, this is so confusing. So many pedals. So many things to do at the same time. So horrific laptimes. So much joy!
Quote from dawesdust_12 :*kicks Jeff :P *

Wants my G25 NOW!

You know, Saturn, a regional electronics super market chain, already has a whole batch of G25s where I work (for € 299 though)...

*bunkers himself in observation point to see dustin suffer*

Yes, I'm an evil person...

@Android: Patience, young padawan, the enlightement will come with time...
I have to say, the brake pedal is almost too hard to press. I was used to my squashball modded pedals with very light resistance in the beginning and then exponentially growing resistance when pressing down. That pedal now is rock hard right from the beginning, atleast as long as I actually hit the brake instead of the clutch
I am used to the 3rd pedal since I used a clutch with my momo.

The G25 has warranted rethinking the setup up of my rig... The pedals are so stiff that I had to use carpet instead of the... "plastic carpet guard for chairs" because they would slide. Thankfully the "exclusive carpet grip system (TM)" really works well! I also have to brace them against the desk with a book because stabbing at the cluch would cause the base to rotate. Now that they don't move, it's great. I still have to work through the fact that braking and clutching simultaneously usually catapults me away from my desk at warp speed (stupid casters.....). Perhaps a kitchen chair is in order.

The feedback is just sublime with this wheel. Never realized just how crappy my Momo was until this came along. It's just so smooth! Somehow the fidelity of the FFB in LFS just skyrocketed overnight, I never knew what my old wheel wasn't telling me.

The ONLY downside to this wheel is that setting it up is not a brief affair. Perhaps it will be once I'm used to it . That and the fact that the odd clutch placement (yes I know why) has my left knee / ankle in revolt after abusing musclegroups previously accustomed to lethargy. No big deal, in the summer people will envy my massive "inner ankle" and bulging "knee" muscles.

I also now REALLY appreciate the new shifting control switch etc that Scawen implemented recently. Now I am half tempted to run sequential shifting with paddles for LXCC; it's SO much easier than clutching. I wouldn't feel like a purist anymore though Just trying to convince myself "yeah... It's a RACING LX4 you're using for LXCC... SURE it's realistic to use paddles & sequential transmission..." The problem is I bet that most people are using this and it's helping laptimes... Oh well.
damn you BBT.... is was doing a good job of controlling my excitement until your post! but now i cant wait!

i should get mine tomorrow which you would think would be a good thing!? but nooooooooooooooooo, it couldnt be worse! so much coursework is not going to get done i can see it already! and the deadlines are next week for one piece and the week after for the other!
To those in the UK - where are you ordering yours from and for how much?
Jeff - edit cfg.txt and put FFB Steps on 256 if you haven't already

And I'm using paddle sequential in LXCC, but shifter/clutch in all other racing endeavours. I'm not giving up a second per minute for the sake of realism in the first league I've done for ages just days after my G25 arrives. The G25 will last for years (fingers crossed), so I've got plenty of time to practice gears once I've crashed and burned in LXCC.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG