The online racing simulator
I'm just wondering about the availability of the wheel. I would like to wait a while for the prices to drop a bit, and then get it... but it's supposed to be a limited edition. What does that mean? I mean will they make 10 of them, or a 1 000 000? Shame there isn't really any info on that.
Quote from szyszek :I'm just wondering about the availability of the wheel. I would like to wait a while for the prices to drop a bit, and then get it... but it's supposed to be a limited edition. What does that mean? I mean will they make 10 of them, or a 1 000 000? Shame there isn't really any info on that.

They will make only one revision of this wheel, in a single batch...
Which basically means: They'll make enough of them to supply the world with the wheels for an initial launch of a new product, but once they're gone, they're gone. I don't know how many DFPs were sold the first quarter it was released, but I'm guessing this one will have twice that many units made.

You'll be able to get them just fine. Only problem will be: If you want to buy one 3 years from now, they'll be gone... And if it breaks down, you won't automatically get a replacement unit. First they'll try to repair it (since they only have so many units), and if that really fails, you'll get a replacement if available.
Quote from sgt.flippy :That's what you use those two buttons for
What else would you want to use them for? I can't really think of a button I'd use that really needs to be on the wheel...

-look left
-look over left shoulder
-look right
-look over right shoulder (in LFS, big diff esp in open wheelers)
-pit speed limiter
-handbrake (rally fan )
-horn

and in the not critical but nice category:
-TC toggle
-flash headlights

I guess I can do without a horn button and a pit speed limiter, but the handbrake is something I don't want to be hunting a button for . Used correctly, you can save a little side-trip on the grass and 5 seconds out of your race. And the horn can save some accidents in multi-player.

I'm kind of in disbelief about the number of buttons on the wheel.

But can't wait to have a clutch pedal!
Quote from Execution Style :-look left
-look over left shoulder
-look right
-look over right shoulder (in LFS, big diff esp in open wheelers)
-pit speed limiter
-handbrake (rally fan )
-horn

and in the not critical but nice category:
-TC toggle
-flash headlights

I guess I can do without a horn button and a pit speed limiter, but the handbrake is something I don't want to be hunting a button for . Used correctly, you can save a little side-trip on the grass and 5 seconds out of your race. And the horn can save some accidents in multi-player.

I'm kind of in disbelief about the number of buttons on the wheel.

But can't wait to have a clutch pedal!

I guess you could use one of the gear shift paddles for handbrake if you're using the shifter for gears Or shift with the paddles and use the shifter in sequential mode for handbrake?

For looking left and right you only need 2 in LFS because if you hold them both it looks behind over the shoulder of the button you pressed first.

For me 2 buttons on the wheel is fine. I think I prefer how it is with buttons out of the way on the shifter. Pitty there aren't buttons on both though so you could choose.
the g25 wheel feels just fine for me.

I'll use the 2 buttons on the wheel for left/right look, the paddles for E-brake and also horn.

the rest of the function such as headlights, pit limiter, car resetting (which I have all assigned on my current momo racing wheel buttons) aren't really important and I think they'll work just fine on the buttons on that shifter console.

Damn I've already planned how I should assign my LFS buttons... lol!
around that time (oct/nov/dec) my 3rd set of the MOMO Racing pedals will be dead again. So i can buy myselfs a nice christmas present

The wheel looks very solid on the pics. Looking forward to have it in my own hands
Quote from Arkanen :Very good idea ]:-> oh well, bye bye sis! you're going on nice trip to emirates :bananalla

Quote from J.B. :I understand that as saying that you can switch the in-game "gearbox" to sequential and and then use the paddles to shift. I think it's not quite clear. Are they talking about adjusting the game to the shifter or the shifter to the game?

You can use the H shifter in gated or sequential mode. When you switch it, the stick moves up and down only in sequential shifting mode.

Hope that clears it up for ya.

EC
from simhq:
Using stainless steel elements, tight tolerances, potentiometers screwed directly into the pedal base frame (thereby keeping all loads off the pots) and ensuring that the pedal motion is stopped by the metal frame before the pot is fully rotated, Logitech engineers have ensured that the pedals will be durable, accurate and not exhibit any of the calibration issues of its predecessor.
http://www.simhq.com/_all/all_020g.html
i want them oh so bad... i wish i never heard about them... i had a dream about the g25 last night
Just got a red momo to play with, feels so much nicer in FFB, much like DFP does, however it lacks a shifter, while the DFP has the shifter stuck on the wrong side, silly Sony buttons and pedals are still weak. So my black momo is staying for now, even with it's gritty, notchy FFB, silly motor resistance and creaky plastic case.

Please let this G25 be the best of all 3 wheels so I can stop moaning. Oh it can't come soon enough.
the shifter isnt on the wrong side for me
The wheel is absolutely amazing, and the price is not too high for what it's offering.. What i would like to know is, whether the clutch pedal will work like the real clutch pedal, like to be able to stall the car if you release the clutch too sudden? I don't know if LFS even simulates that? or any other sim.. It would be an amazing feature. You could really practice your basic driving skills with this wheel. Would be great for people learning for driving licence...
Hi,

The wheel look really promosing but only with 299dollars tag.
This always really suck but everything what is introduced in dollars like this tag for wheel 299dollars will cost 299euros in europe and then the price doesnt look really attractive for what it offer as for such a Euro price it has many flaws:-( (just 2 buttons on the wheel is funny).

I dont need button around shifter as during racing I have to foccus and driving then searching the other buttons somewhere else.
Why do you guys keep moaning about the buttons? And having to search for them. When you assigned all of the buttons to your wheel, you had to memorize them too. Now you just have to memorize the buttons again in an other position. When I'm turning, I'm not pressing any button on my wheel... So I don't need my two hands on the wheel, so when I need to press a button, I can easily put my hand on the shifter, and I know what button I need to press, blindely. It'll just need some practice, getting used to.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from sgt.flippy :Why do you guys keep moaning about the buttons? And having to search for them. When you assigned all of the buttons to your wheel, you had to memorize them too. Now you just have to memorize the buttons again in an other position. When I'm turning, I'm not pressing any button on my wheel... So I don't need my two hands on the wheel, so when I need to press a button, I can easily put my hand on the shifter, and I know what button I need to press, blindely. It'll just need some practice, getting used to.

...I just label my buttons untill I memorized what they do,
and after some time I dont need to look on the wheel when using buttons.

...and the G25's missing buttons is the ONLY reason why I might not buy it...
Attached images
dfpclose.jpg
The lack of buttons on the wheel doesn't bother me. How many buttons do you have on your real cars wheel? (hmm bad example, my C4 has as many as my DFP). Its got buttons to look around, and you have buttons near the shifter to check tyres, map to messages etc, more than enough in total in my opinion.
#93 - Vain
I like the design of the wheel. It looks good and still has all needed buttons. Namely look left/right. I never use other buttons during corners, so those are the only buttons I need while I have my hands on the wheel.
The pedals look fine. Hopefully the shifter will also be good.

Vain
Quote from Rtsbasic :The lack of buttons on the wheel doesn't bother me. How many buttons do you have on your real cars wheel? (hmm bad example, my C4 has as many as my DFP). Its got buttons to look around, and you have buttons near the shifter to check tyres, map to messages etc, more than enough in total in my opinion.

On racing cars like GTR class we have you can usually check it on the dashboard in real life so in LFS you need a buttons on your wheel.

I check for example the temps to decide whenever I can use more or agressive style of driving.I also check the fuel which left in my tnak during longer races for pit stop strategy.
Quote from Arkanen :One thing i disliked however was the 6 speed/sequential shifter. Its a great addition thats its a 2 in 1 combo, but the shifter is "weightless" and does not return back to position. Everything else was of high quality, the shifter however didnt feel up to par.

This is a huge dissapointment for me. If I understood correctly, the shifter is just a stick with no returning force to neutral between 3rd and 4th? Wth has Logitech been thinking? Bah, I guess I will have to keep my "CLICKETY-CLONK" Act-Labs shifter after all.
from what ive read at simhq the shifter has a spring but its too weak
Looks fantastic. It has kind of retro style look with the buttons. I was kind of hoping that Logitech would take the harder way with their next wheel but I was just thinking about something like red MOMO just with 900 degrees added. But this was a surprise... I'm actually hoping that my black MOMO would break apart that I could get an excuse to buy that. It just looks like an offer you can't refuse.

And I think this could mean to sim games much more than just a new wheel. Why try to make completely realistic clutch & gearbox emulations to games if most of the sim gamers don't have shifters or clutch pedals. I hope this improves this situation.

though too bad if the shifter is not that good and lack of buttons is a really big issue. On the other hand you have the shifter which could be mapped to different things and the paddles if you're using the shifter itself.

That "limited edition" could be just a marketing gimmick.

I wonder how the shifter thing is attached to the table? Anyone seen pics about the bottom?
Mmm well, the limited edition probably is true... because the Red MOMO was kind of 'limited' in numbers if you think about it too. The materials and price they have to pay for such a product is not always something they'd want to continuously write checks for. ALSO, not to mention that the simulation market is not as high as with gamepads or such... so chances are, it is a way to get more people interested in buying one, but also probably so they do not produce more than they should sell. Maybe I'm wrong

Anyways, as for the shifter being reported as too light. Well I don't think I'd mind that. As long as it stays in each gear gate, I'd be ok with it. If it doesn't bounce back to the center like the Act Labs one, that might be an issue, but most real sticks in cars don't exactly bounce back like the Act Labs one. There still is a bit of play or looseness at its center point. It is just the direction you know where each gate is, and that is all you need to know. I have a feeling that it will be much easier to shift than the Act Labs one... I never liked the Act Labs one because it had too long of gates, and not a fast 'sporty' shifter. It was focused a lot on the old GPL style where throws were much larger back in those days. And the gate was designed with a box shape and deep gates, so the 1st through 2nd gear and the 5th and 6th gear had much longer throws to their gates... whereas nowadays, shifting in a car feels an even distance to each gear... or at least the gates are not as long or deep. I like that.

I just hope the G25 shifter is like this.
This wheel is going to be great!
Quote from Tweaker :As long as it stays in each gear gate, I'd be ok with it.

well lets just hope they get it fixed for the final version:

On the pre-production example, it was noted that there was almost no retention force to keep the gated shifter in-gear. This made the shifter feel very vague as to whether it was actually in gear. It was also extremely easy to knock out of gear with the slightest pressure, and at times the shifter would just flop out of detent and return to Neutral. In a shifter, floppy is not a desired feeling.
http://www.simhq.com/_all/all_019l.html

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG