The online racing simulator
October Progress Report
(381 posts, closed, started )
Quote from MandulAA :Yes, in the Rockingham graphics progress report we got some screenshots with layout objects having shadows:
https://www.lfs.net/static/screenshots/ror201809/sept_layout_objects.jpg
https://www.lfs.net/static/screenshots/ror201809/sept_layout_ramp.jpg

Thanks, this feature really interests me because I spend most of my lfs time in layouts sp (I have a licensed account!!) and always after a good session I like to see the replay and is there where without shadows some objetc it seems float.

I suppose vehicle lights will not generate dynamic shadows on mobile objects, that would consume too much right?
Quote from F.C.Barcelona :Thanks, this feature really interests me because I spend most of my lfs time in layouts sp (I have a licensed account!!) and always after a good session I like to see the replay and is there where without shadows some objetc it seems float.

I suppose vehicle lights will not generate dynamic shadows on mobile objects, that would consume too much right?

I think they actually will
I had hoped that the physic's update would actually have some vague (well, since 2006..) priority but it's awesome to see that the lighting changes are being worked on instead......

I'm really looking forward to the day/night cycles....
It is as important to have a decent graphics when the new physics are ready for release. Smile
Also I don't think that the developers of LFS are singing the song of a sinking ship.
Quote from Racer X NZ :I had hoped that the physic's update would actually have some vague (well, since 2006..) priority but it's awesome to see that the lighting changes are being worked on instead......

I'd tell you that it's all in there together, as has been explained ad nauseum... but you already know that.
Well Scawen has stated that these graphical changes are made on the dev version with the new physics. I don't know if that statement still stands but if it does, these graphical changes will be served with the new tyre physics. I also hope that Scawen will not need to develop these changes on our version separately.
This kind of "discussion" doesn't belong in a progress report thread. Every account may post here, deal with it.
-
(mcelroy) DELETED by Scawen : troll post
-
(Evolution_R) DELETED by Scawen : replies to a troll post that is now deleted
-
(NumberTwo) DELETED by Scawen : replies to a troll post that is now deleted
-
(joaopaulopt) DELETED by Scawen : replies to a troll post that is now deleted
Quote from Evolution_R :It is as important to have a decent graphics when the new physics are ready for release. Smile
Also I don't think that the developers of LFS are singing the song of a sinking ship.

Ummm, no..

But well spotted, from a vague reference.

Graphic's alone will not bring the sim back to life. The physics update, first spoken of in 2006, and still LONG awaited, plus whatever extra content (VR, improved graphics, extra squirrels,) may do so but there is ONE key update (physics) that is really needed and (POSITIVE Thumbs up ) I hope will bring the sim back to life in this half of the world.

I'm really thrilled that 2 servers are showing full grids with this update.......

-
(bishtop) DELETED by Scawen : replies to a troll post that is now deleted
It's an organised event though... Like I can in iRacing, I would like to just be able to hop into a race with a full grid, or two, or three lol. Still, loving the look of this day & night cycle, although I imagine it'll be a while before I get to experience it.
#61 - 5tag
Quote from Ped7g :He [Eric] either must to rework it [Fern Bay], or Scawen has to remove it from the game [...]

I'm liking this idea. Release what's there, and add the missing WIP tracks back into the game once they're done. Although this is probably tricky from a legal perspective, since license holders wouldn't be able to access the content they paid for... well in the latest patch anyways.
Quote from 5tag :I'm liking this idea. Release what's there, and add the missing WIP tracks back into the game once they're done. Although this is probably tricky from a legal perspective, since license holders wouldn't be able to access the content they paid for... well in the latest patch anyways.

I think the best way around this is the Test Patch. Players download and use the test patch for their own responsibility, agreeing to the fact that not everything would be accessible in it. We could get a new test patch, with all the WIP graphics, strictly for testing purposes only, FE and SO could be "locked"/greyed out temporarily, until they are ready for testing. Multiplayer/hotlap modes/replays etc. would be locked in the test patch, and only single player testing would be possible. This way, with a fully incompatible patch, no touch would be needed for the master server, stats, etc. (at the full public release, I guess a great stats reset would be necessary anyways, but that's a later story Smile ).
I think this would be a great way to get around the legal perspective.
Racer X NZ, we get your point.

It's the sort of point you could make with one post, and I gues you did, years ago. But you are becoming one of those people who just says the same thing over and over again. It's boring and pointless. Are you really trying to "save" people from wasting their time with Live for Speed?

Anyone can figure out how to avoid wasting their time. There are a few options.

1) If you like LFS as it is, go and race. I realise that these days, this is easier for people in roughly European time zones.

2) If you don't want to use the current version, but might like a future version, then make sure you are subscribed to the news letter and please go and do something else while we continue with development. As there are other good racing sims around, it's probably quite a good idea for sim racing enthusiasts to go and do a bit of racing in their favourite simulator.

3) If you don't like the current version and have developed a general dislike of Live for Speed, then please unsubscribe from the mailing list and go on your merry way. There's no point at all in hanging around telling other people they are wasting their time. If you really think about it, I doubt you will be able to think of a good reason to do it.

So please, stop the repetitive negative posting.

Thanks, Scawen
It's really simple, if you're passionate about Sim Racing, invest in more sim software until LFS satisfies you again. I've got so much time, effort, blood, sweat and tears invested into LFS that I will always have one eye on threads like these to see how things are progressing because I want it to return to the forefront of Sim Racing. Am I sad that LFS is not developing as quickly as I'd like? Of course I am, who wants to wait years between major updates. Will LFS ever be at the forefront of Sim Racing again? Who knows. But these questions aren't stopping me from enjoying my Sim Racing. It just means that for the past few years I've been putting hours into iRacing instead and returning to LFS for the odd racing series when I feel like it. When the updates come, whether that happens in 12 months or 12 years, people will return, even if it's just to try out the new features. If we experience the spike in activity that the Westhill update brought, I think LFS will do just fine going forward, in its own special way. That's good enough for me.
Aw man! They locked the July Progress report thread! Night time racing being developed..... Trouble is I got old. I don't see too good at night anymore. But since it's being done, what about the flaming trash cans? Anybody can model a stack of tires. Homelessness is on the rise. Maybe add some pedestrians for S. City? And maybe with S. City throw in some oncoming traffic A.I. cars to simulate street racing? I dunno. just a thought. How about an interactive dash board where you can play CD's, listen to Pandora or spotify or other online radio in game through the dashboard? C'mon if the idiots at Rockstar can put in in game stations with GTA, y'all should be able to come up with something.
Quick question regarding time change: Will track temps go down as it gets darker outside and the track cools down?
Quote from BerdyGaming :Quick question regarding time change: Will track temps go down as it gets darker outside and the track cools down?

Not unless somebody (Scawen) will implement that in the code. And as he's busy reading these forum responses and deleting spam/troll posts, so I'm not sure...

And as it took so unexpectedly long, if I would be Scawen, I would probably wrap up the gfx patch as quickly as possible, postponing *any* other change (including track temps) to next patch ... plus there's this new tires physics thing, which has to be decided before releasing current gfx patch, if it's ready to be released or what to do if it is not... i.e. IMO plenty of work to do before this patch will be available to players, even without adding other small bits.

I think Scawen will be reluctant to do it like this, because it would mean two physics (resetting hotlaps) patches in short period of time, but if he does communicate that clearly, I guess most of the players here can live with that, accepting first patch more like test of gfx shaders to report remaining issues/bugs, and wait few more months/year for "final" patch including the titbits.
Quote from Ped7g :And as he's busy reading these forum responses and deleting spam/troll posts, so I'm not sure...

Ah come on, not this "forum attention takes months of time away" - thing again. Really? What amount of messages is produced here a week? 30?
What's the deal if it takes months of time away? Especially when forum threads are open.
Quote from Scawen :

...But you are becoming one of those people who just says the same thing over and over again. It's boring and pointless...

Kind of hypocritical, don't ya think?

Really, take no offence, but this is what happens to any game that becomes stale over time. Everything will shift from positive to negative with lack of improvement. I would like to think the LFS devs would be thankful they still have a small community left after what has happened. I can't think of another game that would last this long. Please release something, anything. A single car model, 1 track update. Something that could hold us over another couple months.

Anyways, these transitions look fantastic. Something a lot of us have dreamed for in LFS. Thanks for that work atleast.
Quote from klbbadd2002 :Kind of hypocritical, don't ya think?

Really, take no offence, but this is what happens to any game that becomes stale over time. Everything will shift from positive to negative with lack of improvement. I would like to think the LFS devs would be thankful they still have a small community left after what has happened. I can't think of another game that would last this long. Please release something, anything. A single car model, 1 track update. Something that could hold us over another couple months.

Anyways, these transitions look fantastic. Something a lot of us have dreamed for in LFS. Thanks for that work atleast.

As much as I love LFS, the only thing that is wrong about this is that I don't think we need anything to hold us for an extra couple months. We've stayed here with virtually stagnant development for many years, don't think anyone who is still here will be leaving that soon... Which is a shame because I think people not playing anymore is the kick in the backside that Scavier really need to get some updates going.
The only thing LFS 'needs' to do is is whatever the developers want. The thing that made LFS so great in the first place was the devs doing it their way.

None of us can say with any basis we haven't got our money's worth. It's not like any S3 licence holder is going to be paying any extra money for what will be free updates going forward.
No. Devs probably should consider doing whatever is requested by the community.
I don't think you understand the nature of a creative process and creative people. Scawan and co couldn't have been more explicit in their description of their business and working model.

I think the way people act about this is borderline personality disorder territory. As if spending 25 quid entitles you to question someone business model which has been so clearly defined for the last 15 years.

I do notice that most of these complaints are from people who have never even come close to producing something anywhere near the quality of Live For Speed. The fact it's still being worked on is miraculous and should be celebrated.
Quote from Intrepid :I don't think you understand the nature of a creative process and creative people. Scawan and co couldn't have been more explicit in their description of their business and working model.

I think the way people act about this is borderline personality disorder territory. As if spending 25 quid entitles you to question someone business model which has been so clearly defined for the last 15 years.

I do notice that most of these complaints are from people who have never even come close to producing something anywhere near the quality of Live For Speed. The fact it's still being worked on is miraculous and should be celebrated.

heh coming from nowhere calling people names and assuming their expertise in the matter, you are no better than those who complain for the sake of complaining.

I do agree tho, creative process is restricted when there is some sort of deadline (I experience this first hand everydays), programers are somehow like artists and if they have enough freedom they can do wonders, but the moment you start interacting with clients even if you are a freelancer you will be pulled again by the pressure of getting the job done, this is just how things work when you try to get a living by selling your services.
This thread is closed

October Progress Report
(381 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG