The online racing simulator
October Progress Report
(394 posts, closed, started , go to first unread)
Quote from cargame.nl :There are limited development resources, no need to waste time on something which isn't beneficial. The upcoming update is a graphical one, no-one has any idea how this is going to perform not with 40 cars let alone with 60 (on a full grid, this is something different then scattered around the environment). Go effective, quality above quantity.

Project Cars 2 works flawlessly with 32 cars on grid. I doubt that 40 - 50 would cause any more fps drops in LFS as the graphics are much much simpler. If you run shaders, then probably. With default graphics? Nah.
Cruise servers are arguably the most popular servers in LFS and extra slots for them wouldn't hurt. Increases traffic flow, would be great on both smaller and bigger maps. Same for event servers. More players, more chaos. Race servers can keep their slots, but with the graphics/weather upgrade coming, endurance races will be more popular and those are much more fun with more players, so again. Depends on what you want, but in general, more slots = better.
Yes and its a reason why its 32 there. It's not only videocard concerns but physics need to be calculated, MPRs stored, netcode needs to stay optimized. LFS still is single threaded (!). Its not simply raising a number and see what happens. I was in a lot of endurance race organisations after the raise from 32 to 40 (upon my request by the way) and the benefit of this raise was far less then expected because the attendance forced to do a two or even three server split after all. 60 signups means a split of 30/30 etc.. Raising the bar to 50 absolutely makes no sense. If you want to discuss a raise then you have to talk about at least a doubling of the numbers (48 -> 96 connections) otherwise its not worth the energy. But I do not see something like this happen before the internal engine of LFS changes.
At this point i don't think we need extra slots. Yes there are still league that made full server but it's not so often. Better will be to work on this new tracks and night mode. If LFS have positive interest from old and new racers after this big update then maybe will be good to work on new slots and SC/RC system.

Scawen when we can see some pictures from new South City too? We see some from Kyoto,Aston. Does Eric will work on Fern Bay too?
Quote from BorislavB :Scawen when we can see some pictures from new South City too?

When Eric will provide them (i.e. when he feels it's ready to be shown).

Quote :Does Eric will work on Fern Bay too?

He either must to rework it, or Scawen has to remove it from the game (and so far the plan is to rework it if I understand Scawen properly, he never mentioned anything being deleted from the game, *I* am mentioning it, because it's one of the theoretical options how to release the patch).

As the current track would be seriously broken with the new graphics engine ... the materials with new shaders would look wrong (so it would be maybe playable, just looking weird/wrong in places).

But the new shadows require proper geometry with the track surroundings being modelled in more complete way, having also solid walls on sides where you can't see it from the car on track (and these are often missing in old tracks as they were optimized out for old engine).

Without these fixes the shadows would blink hardly almost everywhere, suddenly popping/vanishing, so it would be not possible to play it like that (unless you prefer to play with "stroboscope" effect Smile ).

(I'm a bit guessing, so my description of situation may be not 100% accurate, but from my own experience with 3D engines programming and with the changes described by Scawen I think this guess is not completely off... I think some of that was even mentioned in one of the progress posts, but I can't recall it for sure any more, it's kinda taking a long time to remember every post... Smile ).
Quote from cargame.nl :Yes and its a reason why its 32 there. It's not only videocard concerns but physics need to be calculated, MPRs stored, netcode needs to stay optimized. LFS still is single threaded (!). Its not simply raising a number and see what happens. I was in a lot of endurance race organisations after the raise from 32 to 40 (upon my request by the way) and the benefit of this raise was far less then expected because the attendance forced to do a two or even three server split after all. 60 signups means a split of 30/30 etc.. Raising the bar to 50 absolutely makes no sense. If you want to discuss a raise then you have to talk about at least a doubling of the numbers (48 -> 96 connections) otherwise its not worth the energy. But I do not see something like this happen before the internal engine of LFS changes.

Yep, fair enough. Maybe, with more content being added to S3, people will buy the S3 license and the devs could get the chance to upgrade the engine. The replay and spectator netcode is just terrible and hides so much info.
I don't know if this was asked before, with the new lighting will the layout objects generate own shadows?
Quote from MandulAA :Yes, in the Rockingham graphics progress report we got some screenshots with layout objects having shadows:
https://www.lfs.net/static/screenshots/ror201809/sept_layout_objects.jpg
https://www.lfs.net/static/screenshots/ror201809/sept_layout_ramp.jpg

Thanks, this feature really interests me because I spend most of my lfs time in layouts sp (I have a licensed account!!) and always after a good session I like to see the replay and is there where without shadows some objetc it seems float.

I suppose vehicle lights will not generate dynamic shadows on mobile objects, that would consume too much right?
Quote from F.C.Barcelona :Thanks, this feature really interests me because I spend most of my lfs time in layouts sp (I have a licensed account!!) and always after a good session I like to see the replay and is there where without shadows some objetc it seems float.

I suppose vehicle lights will not generate dynamic shadows on mobile objects, that would consume too much right?

I think they actually will
I had hoped that the physic's update would actually have some vague (well, since 2006..) priority but it's awesome to see that the lighting changes are being worked on instead......

I'm really looking forward to the day/night cycles....
It is as important to have a decent graphics when the new physics are ready for release. Smile
Also I don't think that the developers of LFS are singing the song of a sinking ship.
Quote from Racer X NZ :I had hoped that the physic's update would actually have some vague (well, since 2006..) priority but it's awesome to see that the lighting changes are being worked on instead......

I'd tell you that it's all in there together, as has been explained ad nauseum... but you already know that.
Well Scawen has stated that these graphical changes are made on the dev version with the new physics. I don't know if that statement still stands but if it does, these graphical changes will be served with the new tyre physics. I also hope that Scawen will not need to develop these changes on our version separately.
This kind of "discussion" doesn't belong in a progress report thread. Every account may post here, deal with it.
-
(mcelroy) DELETED by Scawen : troll post
-
(Evolution_R) DELETED by Scawen : replies to a troll post that is now deleted
-
(NumberTwo) DELETED by Scawen : replies to a troll post that is now deleted
-
(joaopaulopt) DELETED by Scawen : replies to a troll post that is now deleted
Quote from Evolution_R :It is as important to have a decent graphics when the new physics are ready for release. Smile
Also I don't think that the developers of LFS are singing the song of a sinking ship.

Ummm, no..

But well spotted, from a vague reference.

Graphic's alone will not bring the sim back to life. The physics update, first spoken of in 2006, and still LONG awaited, plus whatever extra content (VR, improved graphics, extra squirrels,) may do so but there is ONE key update (physics) that is really needed and (POSITIVE Thumbs up ) I hope will bring the sim back to life in this half of the world.

I'm really thrilled that 2 servers are showing full grids with this update.......

-
(bishtop) DELETED by Scawen : replies to a troll post that is now deleted
It's an organised event though... Like I can in iRacing, I would like to just be able to hop into a race with a full grid, or two, or three lol. Still, loving the look of this day & night cycle, although I imagine it'll be a while before I get to experience it.
#68 - 5tag
Quote from Ped7g :He [Eric] either must to rework it [Fern Bay], or Scawen has to remove it from the game [...]

I'm liking this idea. Release what's there, and add the missing WIP tracks back into the game once they're done. Although this is probably tricky from a legal perspective, since license holders wouldn't be able to access the content they paid for... well in the latest patch anyways.
Quote from 5tag :I'm liking this idea. Release what's there, and add the missing WIP tracks back into the game once they're done. Although this is probably tricky from a legal perspective, since license holders wouldn't be able to access the content they paid for... well in the latest patch anyways.

I think the best way around this is the Test Patch. Players download and use the test patch for their own responsibility, agreeing to the fact that not everything would be accessible in it. We could get a new test patch, with all the WIP graphics, strictly for testing purposes only, FE and SO could be "locked"/greyed out temporarily, until they are ready for testing. Multiplayer/hotlap modes/replays etc. would be locked in the test patch, and only single player testing would be possible. This way, with a fully incompatible patch, no touch would be needed for the master server, stats, etc. (at the full public release, I guess a great stats reset would be necessary anyways, but that's a later story Smile ).
I think this would be a great way to get around the legal perspective.
Racer X NZ, we get your point.

It's the sort of point you could make with one post, and I gues you did, years ago. But you are becoming one of those people who just says the same thing over and over again. It's boring and pointless. Are you really trying to "save" people from wasting their time with Live for Speed?

Anyone can figure out how to avoid wasting their time. There are a few options.

1) If you like LFS as it is, go and race. I realise that these days, this is easier for people in roughly European time zones.

2) If you don't want to use the current version, but might like a future version, then make sure you are subscribed to the news letter and please go and do something else while we continue with development. As there are other good racing sims around, it's probably quite a good idea for sim racing enthusiasts to go and do a bit of racing in their favourite simulator.

3) If you don't like the current version and have developed a general dislike of Live for Speed, then please unsubscribe from the mailing list and go on your merry way. There's no point at all in hanging around telling other people they are wasting their time. If you really think about it, I doubt you will be able to think of a good reason to do it.

So please, stop the repetitive negative posting.

Thanks, Scawen
It's really simple, if you're passionate about Sim Racing, invest in more sim software until LFS satisfies you again. I've got so much time, effort, blood, sweat and tears invested into LFS that I will always have one eye on threads like these to see how things are progressing because I want it to return to the forefront of Sim Racing. Am I sad that LFS is not developing as quickly as I'd like? Of course I am, who wants to wait years between major updates. Will LFS ever be at the forefront of Sim Racing again? Who knows. But these questions aren't stopping me from enjoying my Sim Racing. It just means that for the past few years I've been putting hours into iRacing instead and returning to LFS for the odd racing series when I feel like it. When the updates come, whether that happens in 12 months or 12 years, people will return, even if it's just to try out the new features. If we experience the spike in activity that the Westhill update brought, I think LFS will do just fine going forward, in its own special way. That's good enough for me.
Aw man! They locked the July Progress report thread! Night time racing being developed..... Trouble is I got old. I don't see too good at night anymore. But since it's being done, what about the flaming trash cans? Anybody can model a stack of tires. Homelessness is on the rise. Maybe add some pedestrians for S. City? And maybe with S. City throw in some oncoming traffic A.I. cars to simulate street racing? I dunno. just a thought. How about an interactive dash board where you can play CD's, listen to Pandora or spotify or other online radio in game through the dashboard? C'mon if the idiots at Rockstar can put in in game stations with GTA, y'all should be able to come up with something.
Quote from Racer Y :Aw man! They locked the July Progress report thread! Night time racing being developed..... Trouble is I got old. I don't see too good at night anymore. But since it's being done, what about the flaming trash cans? Anybody can model a stack of tires. Homelessness is on the rise. Maybe add some pedestrians for S. City? And maybe with S. City throw in some oncoming traffic A.I. cars to simulate street racing? I dunno. just a thought. How about an interactive dash board where you can play CD's, listen to Pandora or spotify or other online radio in game through the dashboard? C'mon if the idiots at Rockstar can put in in game stations with GTA, y'all should be able to come up with something.

uhm... because LFS is NOT GTA ? and speaking of the low ressources lfs use. open what ever you like to listen to in your browser and run it in the background while playing lfs on your super computer ! ? oh and its still a free download for you to try although not finished and will be nothing like when graphics update is done. but its a feel of night driving.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1945777#post1945777

Quote from borja_s13 :I really like the way that LFS is turning out. Looks a very big progress on this game, devs. Congrats.

Also, @Scawen, is there any thougs or idea inside todo list, to add Safety Light bar to cars? Now that you're working with lights and those things, I think that it's a good idea to have the chance of add a bar of lights and then use the car as safety car. Also, on driving servers like [TC] will be good for having police cars.
Spoiler - click to reveal

Quote from THE WIZARD DK :
EDIT: as for the police cars, i mentioned in another thread im too lazy to find now, that , IF devs implement a safety car with lights on the roof. then cruisers would be happy for life with that. im sure. they allways want more. but still.. this IS a racing simulator. and i think many racers would agree lfs needs a "easy to spot" pace/safety car. cruisers would automaticly use the tools given for their purpose. so a pacecar with lights on roof and option to change skin, would benefit both sides in lfs i think..

https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1918662#post1918662

if made as dds file it would be no problem to make the lights in any color you like.

EDIT:
about more cars on grids. i think most problems occur with lag issues is due to the fact many people uses many different side apps or programs to use online. that be everything from vpns to lfs programs to control police lights and in some cases things not legal to use. all is adding to lag on servers.
if everyone didnt use those things. perhaps yes it would be cool to see even 100 car grids. thing is though. people cant help themselves from using those things. my oppinion.
Quick question regarding time change: Will track temps go down as it gets darker outside and the track cools down?
This thread is closed

October Progress Report
(394 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG