The online racing simulator
Scawen

When will we see a drift section in lfs?
The track is great!

When can we expect that the http://www.lfsworld.net/rafa/ would be updated with the new configurations so lap times can be analysed more easily?
Polliedk, what's written on the top of the page?

Quote :The online racing simulator.

Smile

Even though LFS is dominated by drifters and cruisers... (and Turks) What I find very sad.
Hotlap mode. I think i touched this thing but it was valid. Uhmm
Attached images
lfs_00000096.jpg
lfs_00000098.jpg
Attached files
Litro_WE1_RAC_2.spr - 24.6 KB - 306 views
Quote from Polliedk :Scawen

When will we see a drift section in lfs?

LFS already has a bunch of tracks and layouts (and the Westhill update added more) that are great for drift plus the autocross.
Quote from Litro :Hotlap mode. I think i touched this thing but it was valid. Uhmm

where can i get that skinConfused
Quote from col :@Scawen have you secretly been working on the AI? they seem to be less A and more I than I remember. I was driving Turbo on Westhill National, and the AI were adding to the experience rather than ruining it !

I reported very slow AI (less I, more A) on Westhill International in the test patch thread, but it stayed the same for official patch. Frown
Maybe he focused more on the new layout and I have to try it.
In the end, we have to take it as we get it. And Westhill in itself is a real beauty.
thanks for the quick response Wink
Hmm..
The fun making and using new big and crazy layouts spoils one thing:
When you move away from track it starts to disappear:

While driving the whole environment around you starts to flicker which is very distracting.
Can be done anything about that? Anything like this never happened in previous versions of LFS.
The track image is still old though? Or is it the cache again?
I've updated the image now, but yeah it will be cached heavily by flash. You can try another browser to confirm. A new private window also seems to do the job here.
Very good work on this update. I love the open environment, the National track (did not drive much the new inernational track) and both karting tracks. Westhill feels really alive right now, it is a real good sensation. Thumbs upThumbs up

There is still a couple of graphical glitch and sometimes and I am down for a moment under 100fps (I run a 100Hz monitor eand I cap frames at 100). A bigger minimap for karting would be great too, a modified minimap for layouts would be great too. I hope a rental 4 strokes go kartwill be on for S3 or for the new tire model...
Where can i get the 0.6G version? I want to race the 2 different versions of the track.
Thanks!
Quote from col :Awesome update. Enjoying the MRT5 around the kart circuits!.

@Scawen have you secretly been working on the AI? they seem to be less A and more I than I remember. I was driving Turbo on Westhill National, and the AI were adding to the experience rather than ruining it !

I had to throw a 50% intake restriction on the MRT...could not get it around the corners otherwise Big grin
BUG : In SHIFT+U (edit) when many layout objects are visible on screen buttons dissapear (object selection, keys, InSim, ...) Smile

Preview:
Not sure if this was mentioned already. But are you planning to fix the random FPS drops in some places of the new westhill track?
I'm not really sure there are random frame rate drops so can't say I have plans to fix them. I seem to remember a description where someone's frame rate was dropping from 350 to 280, or something like that when he came round the final bend. And I think I remember someone's frame rate video driving on access roads where the frame rate was slightly lower where more scenery was visible. So not random at all.

We've allowed nice views in the new Westhill. It is no surprise and not a bug, if you run unlimited frame rate and the frame rate is lower when more scenery is visible.

For me personally, the texture resolution is too high. Because I don't spend any time in LFS gazing at walls from 50cm away, I find the high resolution textures pointless. In our development version, which doesn't use compressed textures, I used half texture res the whole time, and never saw a resolution problem. It's not that I don't like things to be well defined. I really do. My point is that you don't even see the super high res textures unless you are really, really close to them. At normal viewing distances you see one of many mipmaps, not the highest resolution version of the texture.

I have tried flicking between comparison shots, comparing super high res and half of super high res, and there wasn't a pixel difference except on the tarmac up to about 2m in front of the car (car body had to be switched off to allow this to be seen).

But at the moment if you switch to half texture resolution, all textures are reduced including the car interior textures. So I was thinking of adding a per-track texture resolution option, to allow you to use half res textures on tracks with super high res textures, so improving the frame rate without any visible loss of quality.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing if the people who have frame rate problems can reduce it by using half texture resolution, or if it's more a problem with the number of objects or triangles being drawn. And how is your frame rate in SHIFT+U mode (where there is no hidden object removal). Preferably on a dedicated thread. By the way, frame rate dropping from 350 to 280 doesn't register as 'a problem' to me. Big grin
Quote from Scawen :

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing if the people who have frame rate problems can reduce it by using half texture resolution, or if it's more a problem with the number of objects or triangles being drawn. And how is your frame rate in SHIFT+U mode (where there is no hidden object removal). Preferably on a dedicated thread. By the way, frame rate dropping from 350 to 280 doesn't register as 'a problem' to me. Big grin

Im on lowest you can go, im even on 16 bit, and 2800-1080 screen resolution!
Shadows off.Draw trees,Off.Draw sky.Off.Texture quality, LOW, skins, compressed low. multiplayer speed up option, 50m draw distance. anty analizing,(how ever you say it ) off. road surfaces,textures etc, to lowest, and so on!!
i had all this to highest before H release Smile i dont understand what causes the problem,+ i turn all other torrents, and stuff off. that shadow patch was really good, and gived us nice fps Smile
You still didn't test with GPU-Z and showed any screenshots of the core frequency graph log of your GPU.

I "fixed" my FPS GPU powersave problems by installing a newer Nvidia driver chipset. GPU still is running in P5 mode (some Nvidia power saving state) but a lot smoother as with the older drivers from somewhere last year. I think it does/did the same as on 0.6G but I'm too lazy to test this. If there is no problem then there is no problem. 350->280 is a 25% drop, the numbers are high but the drop still is quite serious.. But eehh if it happens on rare occasions it's of course not important. If it's stable during normal racing/driving it's perfectly fine and I think it is. Didn't experience any glitches and like to stress once more I am using a midranged laptop myself.

---
---
I would like to see an official statement of the now already infamous new KY curb bug. Because this seriously affects racing in my eyes. Is it known? Is it planned to be fixed or do "we" need to "fix" it ourselves with some concrete slab? Feel free to watch my driving skills @mpr (3min30).
Attached files
huh.mpr - 1.1 MB - 293 views
I think Scawen (or maybe somebody else explained it) mentioned at some point that this is a problem from how the tyres act with surfaces and the physics meshes. There where some pictures in that thread too but I can't find it any more. As far as I know it isn't fixable without a physics rewrite which is in progress atm so maybe it'll be better/gone once those see the light of day.

edit: Found it, wasn't Scawen answering though, still some nice infos in there:

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/8500
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/2192
Yeah well.. The KY problem is a little bit different because it really 'clips' the front tire.. At least it feels like that, throwing the complete car around. This Westhill curb seems to throw the cars unnecessarily high into the air, like if there is a speed bump in the middle of the curb .. Resulting in a flip in this MRT case but GTR and other cars act strange on it as well.. Leading to numerous complains in chat as a result. All curbs are quite smooth @Westhill so as a driver you don't expect behavior like this. And crashing into a concrete wall underneath a bridge isn't such a great experience Smile ...
This thread is closed

New Westhill racing environment - 0.6H
(328 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG