The online racing simulator
Quote from rosewood2 :
Quote from karlh9711 :every time i drive on the new westhill acsses roads it eaither resets or i fall out of the map why is this please help

Have you made sure that you are driving in Westhill X?

is the the car park ?? im new to the game
Quote from karlh9711 :
Quote from rosewood2 :
Quote from karlh9711 :every time i drive on the new westhill acsses roads it eaither resets or i fall out of the map why is this please help

Have you made sure that you are driving in Westhill X?

is the the car park ?? im new to the game

On the track selection screen, you need to click the "X" button next to the configuration name to enable open config, where you can drive on all the access roads around the track.
Quote from karlh9711 :every time i drive on the new westhill acsses roads it either resets or i fall out of the map why is this please help

There's only a few places where I've found this to be true (and I've made a lot of layouts using the access roads [example1 / example 2], some of which I've used on my servers) and that's if you make ramps to get over the fences and use these 'out of bounds' roads, and also some of the grass areas, especially the areas marked on this image;

Maybe you could mark where you're having problems?
Attached images
Westhill No Go.jpg
So eehhmm 2.5 months after Westhill 2.0 release... Is there any official buzz which can be made about future updates of LFS? Did license sales got boosted with the Westhill update or was it a bit of a disappointment followed by demotivation to do work on updates? Is the CPU occupancy being looked into? Something else going on? Anything? Smile

Granted, it seems like nice bicycle weather..
I agree with Dave, it been a while since last progress report (or at least some teasers).
We are working.
thx Smile

Hug
Scawen, great to read that, but does Westhill V2 increased S2 sales ? Smile
Quote from nacim :Scawen, great to read that, but does Westhill V2 increased S2 sales ? Smile

Yes it did

They are selling S2-licenses all the time and some people still eventually finds to buy a license.

No need to rush things, I know the future update of S3 will hit the jackpot, regardless of based of knowledge or not.
OK clear enough Wink
indeed, good progress report Big grin
Even if everybody else would have prefer a we are working on xxxx Tongue
0.6H to 0.6H2
Misc :

Sky texture is now drawn in mirrors
Layout editor object selection buttons are sorted by distance
Now using Direct3D 9Ex if available (Windows Vista and later)
Minimum sleep can now be set to 0 ms (previous minimum was 1)
Minimum sleep is no longer available when using vertical sync
Slightly better fps in places where many objects may be visible

Oculus Rift :

Now using Oculus SDK version 0.6.0.0 which includes timewarp
You can now enter and leave Rift mode without restarting LFS
Smooth display (if you do not use SLI or force vertical sync)
Monitor window view options : blank / one eye / two eyes

Fixes :

Mouse clipped to window (CTRL+C) now works properly with ALT+TAB
Layout editor object selection buttons used interface button slots
Crash changing texture resolution with two or more objects selected
Thanks Thumbs up
Omg omg omg
Quote from Scawen :Minimum sleep can now be set to 0 ms (previous minimum was 1)

What does Minimum Sleep do?
I guess it was limiting fps to 1000.
Quote from Scawen :Mouse clipped to window (CTRL+C) now works properly with ALT+TAB

Ah great to hear that. I was already having some issues with that. Thought I was doing something wrong. Taped Shut
Why is DirectX version upgraded to DirectX9Ex ? What does it adds (it is for Oculus Rift support) ?
Thanks for finally adding sky on mirrors Smile
Just by curiosity, when can we see the new reflections ? Big grin
I really want to see how your rendering technique is in game. Smile
Quote from nacim :Why is DirectX version upgraded to DirectX9Ex ? What does it adds (it is for Oculus Rift support) ?

DX9ex has better compatibility with newer versions of Windows.
Quote from Forbin :
Quote from Scawen :Minimum sleep can now be set to 0 ms (previous minimum was 1)

What does Minimum Sleep do?

Sleep is a function call to Windows that just stops LFS processing for a number of milliseconds. During that time, Windows is free to update vital functions like passing messages and updating the mouse cursor. In the past, a lot of problems could come up if there was no Sleep, because 100% of CPU time was given so LFS. So the mouse might stop moving or Windows forgot to process network packets. It was easiest to force a minimum Sleep of 1 ms to stop all these strange bug reports.

I hope with better scheduling and thread management on later versions of Window and Dual CPU it may no longer be needed. I think there are other points in the loop where there may be a small rest anyway. For example there is a wait if vertical sync is used and there is a little code to avoid rendering too many frames before a previous frame is presented to the screen.

One effect of the Sleep(1) is that (on some computers, maybe not all) frame rates often take on values of 1000/n e.g. 500, 333, 250, 200 etc. With minimum Sleep set to 0 (meaning no call to Sleep) this is not the case, and the frame rate doesn't seem to settle on those values (at least on my computer).

Quote from Bose321 :
Quote from Scawen :Mouse clipped to window (CTRL+C) now works properly with ALT+TAB

Ah great to hear that. I was already having some issues with that. Thought I was doing something wrong. Taped Shut

Yes, it now releases the cursor if you go to another window and then captures it again when you go back to the LFS window.

Quote from nacim :Why is DirectX version upgraded to DirectX9Ex ? What does it adds (it is for Oculus Rift support) ?

Yes, the Ex version of DirectX 9 was to allow sharing a texture (the render target) with DirectX 11 as required by the Oculus SDK, which recently gave up support for DirectX 9. DirectX 9 is still used if DirectX 9Ex is not available (e.g. on XP).

There are a few differences in 9Ex, for example textures are loaded straight onto the graphics card and not 'managed' by keeping a copy in system memory. It's possible this reduces texture loading glitches when you drive the first lap after loading a new track. I think the Chinese/Japanese/Korean textures are now updated in a more efficient way.
Quote from nacim :Thanks for finally adding sky on mirrors Smile

I still need to finish the car reflections and also move all the track rendering shaders to HLSL. The vertex shaders for the track objects are still written in DirectX 8 style.

But I'll release this test patch before that, hopefully today.
Thanks for the clarification, I think I'll have to upgrade mine to DX9Ex too if it can reduce system memory print. Thumbs up

I'd love to see all the track and car parts separated into shaders (roads, grass, walls, tyres, paint, interior, interior shiny, etc.), it will be funny to customise. Smile

Is your reflection rendering system is object based or camera position based (one relfection sphere per car, or one for every objects) ? Smile

EDIT : (Small request, while you are on HLSL and rendering, can you render the game to texture and then drawing the texture on screen with a pixel shader, so we can do some post-process ? Smile )
Quote from nacim :valiugera : Shadows glich can't be considered as bugs, that's just the way vertex shadows works.
Hopefully, Scawen will work on soft shadow mapping to make LFS looks really nice Smile

LFS looks nice then ?

But when nobody cares, what does it look like then ?
Just have a fast view on Racers & Hosts.. its ridiculous what lfs has become.

I know scawen wont post his opinion about the actual state of lfs, because he is so busy finishing random things which nobody will use in the future, because there wont anybody left playing Lfs..

Get a Track-editor out, and things will gonna rock this thing back alive.

I never had any trouble with LFS so cant say anything about FPS boost. Even the new Westhill runs at 300fps+

Just wanna new tracks and a community which will create greate events then. Not the same old content.
Westhill is nice and we did a 10hour Race on it, but now everyone will move on.

I hope Scawen will release something big this year ? At least my hopes are build on this random testpatch. Normaly he announce someting before.
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : forget it
This thread is closed

New Westhill racing environment - 0.6H
(328 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG