The online racing simulator
Quote from Jesse Kyytinen :One thing I really would like to see is totally empty tracks, specially South City.

well everything else about LFS is so completely under user control... then you run into this cone. just nothing you can do about the cone. the cone is permanent.

want to agree but have too much respect for devs to even ask
Quote from Flame CZE :
Quote from Jesse Kyytinen :One thing I really would like to see is totally empty tracks, specially South City.

What do you mean by that? Like open tracks?

Open tracks without the tires and cones (maybe also barriers) they have.
Devs made it clear that they want to have it in LFS, so just wait and hope
-
(bogdani.cojocaru) DELETED by bogdani.cojocaru
-
(dawesdust_12) DELETED by Flame CZE : off-topic
-
(CodeLyoko1) DELETED by Flame CZE : off-topic
-
(Flame CZE) DELETED by Flame CZE : off-topic
-
(dawesdust_12) DELETED by Flame CZE : off-topic
-
(kdo) DELETED by Flame CZE : off-topic
Anything to report? How's it going with the Westhill?
Let's say since 2 weeks Scawen and Eric are on it, this make the release sooner every day
#456 - kdo
Quote from Flotch :Let's say since 2 weeks Scawen and Eric are on it, this make the release sooner every day

Never saw an optimist like you. We should wait and once its released, we will see all the new stuff by ourself like a kids with new toys
bah, in June they were planing to release it under few weeks ... the screenshots were slef-speaking, the huge amount of work has already been done. So now, they are 2 full time and talented people doing the fine tuning ^^ ! We can be optimistic
To be honest I couldn't agree more (even though I was the one asking for report._.)
When they said few months ago it will come in few weeks I was very excited and started to wait it. Now few months have passed and I've realised it will come when it comes and it's pointless to keep waiting that much.
Quote from Scawen :So, still a few weeks before the Westhill version goes into public testing, but it's all going well. Thanks for your patience and we look forward to releasing it!

a "few"

what did I even expect *sigh*
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :
Quote from Scawen :So, still a few weeks before the Westhill version goes into public testing, but it's all going well. Thanks for your patience and we look forward to releasing it!

a "few"

what did I even expect *sigh*

A few fews?
Well if people stopped asking for "progress reports" and asked for the actual content itself maybe we wouldn't be getting progress reports about things we are not gonna get?
What about stop asking?
It's going well.

I completed the new "optimiser" which precomputes which objects are visible from any point on the path. It uses a higher resolution and a much better rendering method to correctly detect what is visible, so there is now very little popup of objects, holes in the road and so on. I plan to release updated object visibility files for the current tracks. Probably in a test patch before Westhill is ready.

I've just written a new thing for open configurations which can start on a path (instead of using no paths at all) and then switch between paths when you go off the edge of one and onto another. The result of this is higher frame rate on open configs, because it can use the optimiser. Also the echo map is available. Still need to do the lightmaps, so cars go darker when they are in shadowed places. This was really vital for the new Westhill as it has all the access roads which are fun to drive on, but the frame rate was too low without the use of the optimiser. Eric is creating dummy paths for the access roads, so they are not selectable as configurations but the paths are available for open configs.

So it's all going well. Obviously these things aren't done by magic and they take time, but we like working and we like what we are working on. So for us it looks good.
Thanks for the progress report Scawen

With the current optimiser, sometimes I can see objects poping far away (at the end of the Blackwood's straight line for example), so hopefully the new one will do a better job ! Waiting for next patch, as usual
Good to see some FPS improvements coming on open configs as well, many people have complained about FPS drops (including me sometimes).
Quote from Flame CZE :Good to see some FPS improvements coming on open configs as well, many people have complained about FPS drops (including me sometimes).

Me too. I only got 190 fps instead of 250.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :
Quote from Flame CZE :Good to see some FPS improvements coming on open configs as well, many people have complained about FPS drops (including me sometimes).

Me too. I only got 190 fps instead of 250.

75 instead of 75 for me (V-sync powaa )
So cool! Thank you!
yep, thank you for the report Scawen Good luck for the optmiser !
You have no idea how much fun I'm going to have making rally stages on the new westhill.
Quote from Scawen :It's going well.

I completed the new "optimiser" which precomputes which objects are visible from any point on the path. It uses a higher resolution and a much better rendering method to correctly detect what is visible, so there is now very little popup of objects, holes in the road and so on. I plan to release updated object visibility files for the current tracks. Probably in a test patch before Westhill is ready.

I've just written a new thing for open configurations which can start on a path (instead of using no paths at all) and then switch between paths when you go off the edge of one and onto another. The result of this is higher frame rate on open configs, because it can use the optimiser. Also the echo map is available. Still need to do the lightmaps, so cars go darker when they are in shadowed places. This was really vital for the new Westhill as it has all the access roads which are fun to drive on, but the frame rate was too low without the use of the optimiser. Eric is creating dummy paths for the access roads, so they are not selectable as configurations but the paths are available for open configs.

So it's all going well. Obviously these things aren't done by magic and they take time, but we like working and we like what we are working on. So for us it looks good.

Scawen, is there any chance of getting a high-res overhead of the new westhill prior to release? It'd be nice to be able to see the new layout, as well as the various sideroads.
Good! Thumb up!
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Scawen, is there any chance of getting a high-res overhead of the new westhill prior to release? It'd be nice to be able to see the new layout, as well as the various sideroads.

I don't think we will release any more images before the test patch release.

It's best to just get the job done and get it into testing. Day off today but I'm back on tomorrow updating editor functions that help Eric and some other things I still have to do.
yep, keep this for just after WestHill release for the 2 other tracks built by Eric , you will have something nice to show I am sure
This thread is closed

Progress with the Westhill version
(525 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG