The online racing simulator
Quote from edgars2229 :I'm playing lfs for 8 years and layouts are getting really boring due to small autocross place. I guess it's super easy to make autocross like 3 times bigger, just a big square with asphalt, that we can create much bigger and faster layouts! This will also attract new players!

I know this is often requested and we have a really large autocross area in one of the new tracks that we plan to release with the S3 license. We think it's better to leave that for S3 licensed users. We do want to release some S3 licensed content as soon as possible, though this will take quite some time (several months - "several" not being an actual specified number) after the Westhill update.
Quote from Scawen :I know this is often requested and we have a really large autocross area in one of the new tracks that we plan to release with the S3 license. We think it's better to leave that for S3 licensed users. We do want to release some S3 licensed content as soon as possible, though this will take quite some time (several months - "several" not being an actual specified number) after the Westhill update.

Ooh, this is exciting, even if it is a long ways off. I don't remember, what S# is Rockingham?
Quote from pik_d :Ooh, this is exciting, even if it is a long ways off. I don't remember, what S# is Rockingham?

S3 too.
Quote from Scawen :I know this is often requested and we have a really large autocross area in one of the new tracks that we plan to release with the S3 license. We think it's better to leave that for S3 licensed users. We do want to release some S3 licensed content as soon as possible, though this will take quite some time (several months - "several" not being an actual specified number) after the Westhill update.

"several" = 48 Months?

Scawen What About License of Scirocco and Rockingham?
There is actually some problem?
Quote from vrajunar :"several" = 48 Months?

Scawen What About License of Scirocco and Rockingham?
There is actually some problem?

No, it is the same story ever since we delayed the Scirocco. The problem is the tyre physics. It was impossible to make the Scirocco handle well with the current tyre physics, if we used realistic suspension settings. So I went on a long mission into tyre physics. That is the only reason we have not released the Scirocco yet, and that reason has not yet changed.

We wanted to release S3 after the new tyre physics (and Scirocco) but now I don't think that is important any more. If we can get some S3 content ready before the tyre physics is finished, then it can be released, even without all the S3 things we would like to release eventually. So we'll see.
Quote from Scawen :It was impossible to make the Scirocco handle well with the current tyre physics

maybe the scirocco handles shit irl as well?
Quote from Scawen :
If we can get some S3 content ready before the tyre physics is finished, then it can be released, even without all the S3 things we would like to release eventually. So we'll see.

Quote from Scawen :We wanted to release S3 after the new tyre physics (and Scirocco) but now I don't think that is important any more. If we can get some S3 content ready before the tyre physics is finished, then it can be released, even without all the S3 things we would like to release eventually. So we'll see.

Good idea
Great news, Scawen. It's so good to hear positive LFS news.

Has the long mission into tyre physics been worth it? (Not a loaded question, I'm genuinely interested in the answer)
Good question sinbad
Good news for you ScaViEr, some upcoming income will be good for you
Quote from Scawen : If we can get some S3 content ready before the tyre physics is finished, then it can be released,

The shader has a big potential, e.g. it could be used to progressively add dirt buildup on the car body. I managed to recreate it, it could look like this:

In this case, I used colour luminance of the skin pixel colour to determine the amount of reflections.

Another texture with an alpha layer would have to be used instead to create the effect, so it would be independent of the skin. The texture transparency would have to be decreased gradually according to the time you have spent driving in mud/gravel or the amount of "smoke" you have created.

However I'm not sure how that "amount" value would connect to the shader program. But it would probably have to be more elaborate in order to look realistic, to include other parts of the car like lights, windows etc.
I brought you some shaders, guys.
It were been writted a little bit dirty, but lighting now is per-pixel, and I added some other things. In a nutshell it is metallic paint
There's some screenshots below(left is new, right is old)
Attached images
lfs_00000024.jpg
lfs_00000025.jpg
lfs_00000028.jpg
lfs_00000029.jpg
Attached files
shaders.zip - 2.3 KB - 834 views
Quote from edgars2229 :I'm playing lfs for 8 years and layouts are getting really boring due to small autocross place. I guess it's super easy to make autocross like 3 times bigger, just a big square with asphalt, that we can create much bigger and faster layouts! This will also attract new players!

I like this idea
Oh God do not believe that I will live this moment
my contribution towards shaders

photo one original shader #
photo two shader Flame sent #
photo three shader keiichi sent #

liked in particular effect caused by shader of Keiichi
Attached images
lfs_00000051.jpg
lfs_00000050.jpg
lfs_00000049.jpg
@ FLAME and Keiichi_Tsuchiya

both your works look amazing, thanks
Quote from Scawen : If we can get some S3 content ready before the tyre physics is finished, then it can be released, even without all the S3 things we would like to release eventually. So we'll see.

Fantastic to hear.
I'm really looking forward to the new tyres, but content would more than fill the void.
Hopefully 'content' means new tracks, cars and updates existing tracks and cars?

Quote from bishtop :@ FLAME and Keiichi_Tsuchiya

both your works look amazing, thanks

I agree!
Interesting news, and thanks for taking the time to communicate with us

I am very happy to hear that you (the devs) are considering of relasing content before the tyre physics are done. From what I'v understand the tyre physics has some time left before done, and it would be a shame to idle the other updates if there are things that are polished enough to be released.

But it's summer, so how the feck cares, off to the sun outside and cancer I go!
Quote from Keiichi_Tsuchiya :I brought you some shaders, guys.
It were been writted a little bit dirty, but lighting now is per-pixel, and I added some other things. In a nutshell it is metallic paint
There's some screenshots below(left is new, right is old)

Not wishing to be critical, but to me the right hand pics in both cases have paint which looks more metallic than in the one on the left. The left hand pic looks flat in comparison.

I still remember that vw scirocco was 08 Christmas Gift

GIVE ME A CHANCE TO PAY FOR U PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockingham, new track with big AutoX, this is enough to buy S3!

and start line(muti car) & pit aera in AutoX obj like check point plz.
Ok, maybe i'm stressing you, but, can you spoiler us something about new cars/tracks?
This thread is closed

Progress with the Westhill version
(525 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG