The online racing simulator
Wants to go round back of cones....
Since you said you'd just laugh at me...
Quote from Scawen :
I'm having fun, and it's making us money. So THERE.

What is the lesson here, Scawen? Maybe it's that releasing stuff when it's Good Enough™ is a valid way of generating interest in your product. I'm just thinking out loud here.
Quote from Mountaindewzilla :What is the lesson here, Scawen? Maybe it's that releasing stuff when it's Good Enough™ is a valid way of generating interest in your product. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Quote from Mountaindewzilla :What is the lesson here, Scawen? Maybe it's that releasing stuff when it's Good Enough™ is a valid way of generating interest in your product. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Generating interest in a product that's not ready yet. A friendlier, gentler hype. For profit. Somehow that doesn't sound like Scavier's way.
Tracks are tracks.....

With Power and Glory I've got 3 different versions of Pukekohe to race on, why can't the same thing happen with LFS ?

Oh, no modding on tracks ?
So, that would mean that Westhill 1 was a modded track so can't be raced on ?

PHUQ, just leave the original track as an option, cool, the new one has better graphixs. Just leave the old one....

And, as the physics have been better for years, as per Eric, just do another beta and release this stuff. the 5% who care about Occulus can wait a day or so, after all, the rest of us have been waiting how long ?

Devs, enter number here............
Some people can't understand why we don't release the tyre physics, even though it feels good.

Well that is because it has FATAL FLAWS!!!

You know when the physics is wrong in a game, there are EXPLOITS.

So you could do stupid settings or drive in a stupid way and win the race by far over the people who use it as intended.

If you still think we should release the tyre physics as they are right now, just try to understand, it would kill online racing to the point where there would not be a single ordinary user online, just a handful of exploiters trying to out-exploit each other.

Hope that helps you to understand!

The tyre physics will never be "finished" but the thing to do is to get them to a very reasonable state, reacting to conditions and settings within a few percent of reality.

It can't be that hard to understand, that it's not ready for release, can it?

P.S. We won't leave the old Westhill in there. It is a maintenance issue. You can download the old version and use that.
Quote from Scawen :
P.S. We won't leave the old Westhill in there. It is a maintenance issue. You can download the old version and use that.

that's a bummer. But not a big deal
Quote from Scawen :It can't be that hard to understand, that it's not ready for release, can it?

I think what he meant to say was you should release test patches with the new tyre physics in their current state.
Oh you mean, like, "This is totally screwed, and I know why, let's get it tested, divide the community and ruin online racing"...

Why? Test patches are to get things tested, not to get fatally flawed things out there and destroy online racing. The tyre physics is far from complete.

It's just absolutely ridiculous. It would be like Eric releasing a Westhill test when he had done a rough version of half the track and no scenery, to get it tested. Why would he?
Scawen is the George R.R. Martin of racing simulators. He probably doesn't deserve half the criticism he gets, but I'm still tempted to join the howling, unwashed masses!
I think that people just want some kind of test environment to see how are the new tyre physics... not that they wanna compete with it. As this is already a 6 years old project, they are crazy to see how it is going to be, since there was no preview ever.
Quote from Kina13 :I think that people just want some kind of test environment to see how are the new tyre physics... not that they wanna compete with it. As this is already a 6 years old project, they are crazy to see how it is going to be, since there was no preview ever.

I kind of understand this, but scawen does make a point with the online part. As long as the test environment stays offline it should be doable though without destroying it. It would show people where they waited for for 6 years now.
Here is my point of view :
I don't care about the new tyre physics, I don't have problems with this one. The new physics is mainly for the VWS, so release them together when they are stable and finished.
But for now, I want you (LFS Devs), not to forget non-Rift users, give us some FIX and contents.
For now, this test patch is only for Rift, and I don't have any problem with this, it create more new users on LFS each day, and need to be finished before official.
But there is not only Rift users in gaming world, so please don't forgive us. Hope that in a few test patches we will test the new Westhill.

Keep it up ScaViEr!

PS : Sorry for my bad English.
Quote from nacim :
But there is not only Rift users in gaming world, so please don't forgive us. Hope that in a few test patches we will test the new Westhill.

+1

we all know that a "few weeks" would expand to "months" an Eric has some work to do. But release Westhill on his current State should be acceptable, like you said he is just working on the scenery.

Quote from Scawen :
If you still think we should release the tyre physics as they are right now, just try to understand, it would kill online racing to the point where there would not be a single ordinary user online, just a handful of exploiters trying to out-exploit each other.

Yeah thats true. I think what we all are trying to say, is that not releasing any further content is killing LFS in the same way.

But as you said everything is up to Eric. I think he is the only one who can give the "Go" for publishing Westhill. So we just need to wait and to do something else then LFS.
I'm new to LFS and very impressed with VR implementation

is there an eta for the laser scanned track & tire updates + content texture update?

I'm happy to pay to upgrade to s2 & s3 if this happens etc

LFS could be a great mainstream up to date sim with these tweeks & additions

with so many other titles "in progress" this is a great opportunity for LFS together with its fantastic & leading VR support
Quote from Be2K : +1

we all know that a "few weeks" would expand to "months" an Eric has some work to do. But release Westhill on his current State should be acceptable, like you said he is just working on the scenery.

(...)

But as you said everything is up to Eric. I think he is the only one who can give the "Go" for publishing Westhill. So we just need to wait and to do something else then LFS.

Maybe Scawen hasn't finished the optimisation needed with the new Westhill yet, so it might not be only up to Eric.
Guys ease it down on the Devs please. I think we all agree we are happy to see Scawen active on the forums again.

Please let's act reasonable, and be thankful for his time and attention.

Scawen & Eric:
I love the way things are going, take all the time you need to make the things as they should be and feel best for you, it's your baby after all. Eventhough the Westhill can't come soon enough for me, since it looks and sounds wonderful. Still that does give me all the more patience.

Thanks for already nearly 12 years of commitment to this simulator and us. I'm sure many of us have found not only many new friends over here, but also found a home.

Live for Speed is something unique and special, and eventhough waiting sometimes is long, it has yet always been more then worth it.

I take a deep bow for the developers, because they deserve respect and to be treathed with it too.

Some might be complaining about the development pace, but if LFS wasn't ever made, god knows what you would be doing now. For one it shows you are clearly dedicated to LFS since you are eager to keep on driving it and experiencing new steps in the progress.

But what helps best for a private company to succeed faster in their goals? Respect and support from their customers/community.

Walter
Quote from rockclan :Thanks for already nearly 12 years of commitment to this simulator and us. I'm sure many of us have found not only many new friends over here, but also found a home.

Second this.
Great work Scavier.
I think some may be misunderstanding the purpose of a "TEST Patch"...

What it is:
A development tool used near the end of a project phase so that developers can crowdsource the user base for feedback regarding bugs, exploits, etc.

What it is not:
A sneak preview so that the players can get an early look at new content.

It's understandable considering the end user's point of view that some might not make this distinction but there you have it.
I say /lock thread till new report
Quote from Mike 78 :I think some may be misunderstanding the purpose of a "TEST Patch"...

What it is:
A development tool used near the end of a project phase so that developers can crowdsource the user base for feedback regarding bugs, exploits, etc.

What it is not:
A sneak preview so that the players can get an early look at new content.

It's understandable considering the end user's point of view that some might not make this distinction but there you have it.

Yes!
Exciting times. I'm holding off getting a new wheel and back on the track until some of these new tracks are out but its really nice to be seeing progress again.

Especially as its been such excellent mountain biking weather over the summer .

How've your experiments with shaders coming along? I still get a real kick from coding shaders - I don't know why, but something about writing .fx touches my inner nerd.
The thing that people don't understand is that tyre model change all the behaviour of the car. At the end of the day a race car is a complex system of basic mechanics laws until it comes to tyres. And everything the sprung mass of a car is doing is only controlling the input of the tyres in term of load, camber, slip angle, slip ratio, and whatever your tyre model uses. You can have a perfect car kinematic if your tyre model is crap everything is crap also.

When it goes wrong it goes wrong completely and do stupid things...Before releasing something decent Scavier have to get ride of the stupid thing the model may do.

To be honest the work Scawen is doing is quite impressive and F1 teams have similar struggles with development team as big as 20ish people...

Really looking forward these updates in lfs as even if it´s not perfect I still find that lfs is the most user friendly and enjoyable sim available. Just sad so many people left.
Quote from Becky Rose :... I don't know why, but something about writing .fx touches my inner nerd.

Maybe short turn-around from writing an instruction till you see results?
And it's fun and you can bend it instantly, whatever idea you have. And the API and instruction set is quite limited, so it's easy to learn (and hard to master).
This thread is closed

Progress with the Westhill version
(525 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG