The online racing simulator
Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
Quote from CSF :To be honest, there have been too many of these types of incident in Lewis career. His mentality is to leave it up to the other driver to avoid the crash, and in this instance Nico decided... "you know what, I've done this in Bahrain and Hungary, I'm just going to stand up to him" and we see the result.

I'm actually glad, and find it quite funny that the British Media is running stories about the FIA punishing Nico, it just shows how pathetic the media is in this country.

The media is pathetic in this country, and it's quite difficult to listen to if you don't support a British driver. But I still don't really see the side of it where Lewis didn't leave him space, this time the move Rosberg was trying was never on in a million years and it was just clumsy to leave his front wing there like that. It was luck that it ruined Hamilton's race and only slightly compromised his.

I get the feeling Merc feel it was fueled by the Hungary affair and that is why they are so angry about it, though. The incident itself - while being Rosbergs fault was just a racing incident and there is no way it will get penalised and I found it quite odd how harsh Merc were on him. I expected a wishy washy statement and "we will discuss it internally", clearly there is more to it behind the scenes than we have seen.
They were harsh because it was incredibly stupid and Rosberg understood the risk. He wrecked a 1-2 chance and has given Ricciardo a sniff at the championship.
just a racing incident, it was Rosbergs fault but the Tyre blow out exaggerated the outcome.
It's a racing incident, but within the wider context there certainly seems to be a certain level of intent on Rosberg's side.

Doing the usual "make a point" pussyness you hear now and again didn't help his cause. Making a 'point' would be massive lunge up the inside like a nut job. Trying to hang round the outside is the worse of the worse bandit move you can ever try there.
Quote from Mustafur :just a racing incident, it was Rosbergs fault but the Tyre blow out exaggerated the outcome.

For me a racing incident is when two drivers make a fair assumption regarding what the other driver will do and the result is a collision. Or a fair loss of control during close driving which results in a collision.

It isn't a racing incident if one driver makes a move which never was going to work and no effort to avoid the collision when it was obvious that it was never going to work. There's no loss of control here, no "mistake", just thick-headedness. He made contact inevitable whilst in absolute control of the car - that isn't a racing incident. But I guess your definition could differ from mine.

I'd bet the incident would have been at the very least investigated had the move been made on any other driver. Other teams would have complained immediately, Merc just switched to damage limitation mode, and a drive-through for Nico wouldn't fit with that.
As far as conspiracy theories go I think I have invented a good one. What if caterhm broke lotterer's car on purpose so they could save some money by not running it more than 2 laps in the race?

Quote from Storm_Cloud :We only tend to see what we want to.

Well there is definitely lots of room for interpretation this season.
I really like Ricciardo. Hopefully while the Mercedes driver are bickering amongst themselves he'll sneak by and take the championship from them.
It's so stupid to give Rosberg that much hate. What would have happened if the tyre didn't pop? Absolutely nothing, just lose of time to Rosberg. In Hockeinheim race Kimi got hit in his wing 3 times because other cars hit him (Alonso and Vettel if I remember right), isn't that kind of same thing? Just normal race accident with very unlucky ending for Hamilton.
Quote from CardsetCrazy :It's so stupid to give Rosberg that much hate. What would have happened if the tyre didn't pop? Absolutely nothing, just lose of time to Rosberg. In Hockeinheim race Kimi got hit in his wing 3 times because other cars hit him (Alonso and Vettel if I remember right), isn't that kind of same thing? Just normal race accident with very unlucky ending for Hamilton.

If the tyre didn't pop Rosberg would be laughed at for so stupidly costing himself a chance at winning the race with a stupid move that was never going to work in a million years. At least with the puncture he looks smart/devious/cunning rather than really really stupid, which the move was.
Quote from Mustafur :Hamilton Fanboy Logic

Oh dear, you had nothing left so you went there. :-)

I'm far from a Hamilton fan but never mind.
it was actually on google images, adrian tambay DTM driver posted it from his Twitter.
Just stop bickering about it, it was a racing incident, just move on.
Having a think...It wasnt just a racing incident because the move was never on. Not even a hint.
Quote from Intrepid :Having a think...It wasnt just a racing incident because the move was never on. Not even a hint.

Not even a hint? Did you actually notice that they went into the corner side by side?
Anyone can drive round the outside like an idiot. Doesn't mean the move is on.

If i lunged someone from 100 yards back and didnt brake there would be a point where i am 'side by side' before i smashed into them at 100mph.

Oh dear - case close - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxRG0j5LFVY
Quote from Mustafur :it was actually on google images, adrian tambay DTM driver posted it from his Twitter.

Ah there is a picture with that post? Sorry, it's not showing for me, think I have to log in to GTplanet to see it. Apologies if I misinterpreted your post then
I thought it was a good move, but it required Hamilton to leave some room. He didn't, and they touched, but the move was definitely on for a while. You can see Rosberg partially backing down before the contact. Alonso's move around the outside was also "never on" with the logic of some, but he stayed there, room was given (just) and he made it stick.

Hamilton, ahead, doesn't HAVE to give room. It was 'his' corner. But by not giving room (at least 10cm more) he ended up out of the race. He had just as much opportunity to avoid the incident as Rosberg.
So Singapore 2011 must have been totally different then.

Quote from tristancliffe :You do realise that Massa was still not even slightly at fault for the collision, right? He defended perfectly, and Hamilton drove into him.

Quote from Storm_Cloud :So Singapore 2011 must have been totally different then.

Tristan will always put blame on Hamilton. By the way that Singapore incident was 1000000% Hamilton's fault. No fanboyism from me.

Button, Massa and I'd imagine the rest of the grid are all mystified by what Rosberg did. The move was never on. Hamilton would have to be a moronic pussy'ole to leave room.
I know, but I'm fascinated to see how Tristan reconciles these two apparently contradictory views.
Meanwhile there is something else surrounding the racing, except for the Rosberg/Hamilton soap, that makes F1 maybe a bit more interesting for at least the Dutch ppl.

2nd Dutch driver, drives in the F1 next year, possibly this year already. Giedo in the Sauber!
Not at all contradictory. Very different corners and very different events.

In the Singapore incident Massa is on the inside and Hamilton just turns in with too much overlap (I.e. Wing hits tyre). Massa can't take ANY blame whatsoever.

In the second incident Rosberg was originally on the outside, but it became the inside due to the nature of Les Combe. Rosberg didn't turn into Hamilton, he was trying to poke his nose inside. Rosberg could have backed out, but Hamilton could also give room too. So very very (completely?) different situation.

I haven't apportioned any blame for the Spa incident. Just pointing out that the move was, in fact, on and that both parties could have done something to help. That move (or at least the intended move) has been done in many many races throughout history in many categories of racing. To state it wasn't on in a million years is just silly.
-
(Storm_Cloud) DELETED by Storm_Cloud
This thread is closed

Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG