The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :I think it depends what we mean by "staying in place". My understanding is the warning stays in place relative to the headset, so it would still be visible if you looked sideways (that's what I mean by moving around with your head). But that is not what Oculus themselves recommend, as they suggest things should stay in place in the 3d space, so you can look around them (like LFS menus).

It does stay in place in space, not relative to your head, so you can look around it. I was surprised it handled that way because I had read exactly what you are saying, so it might have changed between the SDKs.

Edit: or wait a second, do I remember this all wrong? The background was moving and "stayed in place", so it might have been why it was comfortable. I need to check this out.

Edit2: sorry for the confusion, it really is how you describe, stuck to your face and not to the world. It is transparent and that made it comfortable in contrast to say loading screens that are totally static and make you feel ill. Your implementation of it is much much better.
Quote from Scawen :New Test Patch 0.6F8

Now includes the dreaded health and safety warning, implemented the best way I could think of, complying with the requirements but not getting in the way too much.

Also has an option "Store driving position" to avoid setting your driving position every time you start up.

https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=86202

Can't see the point of installing this patch, I prefer not to have to see a H&S warning each time.
Yep, i moved the patch into the LFS directory and ran it this time. Got the proper dialogues. Thanks Scawen!
Quote from DaveK :Can't see the point of installing this patch, I prefer not to have to see a H&S warning each time.

Shouldn't be any worse though - if you opt to store your driving position, you won't have to sit straight and click OK.

Note to everyone, H&S warning is obviously only when you start in Rift mode!
Quote from Scawen :
Option to store driving position (avoids setting it every time)

No idea what this is but I assume this is only for Rift mode?

Isn't it possible to not reset the camera view with every race restart? Don't know why this is but every race restart I need to switch back to follow view. It defaults to in-car view.
Quote from cargame.nl :No idea what this is but I assume this is only for Rift mode?

Yes, it was that you had to press a key or click OK to set the 'zero' position every time you started up in the Rift. But now LFS can store that position in cfg.txt so you should only need to press F8 to set the driving position each time a new user (with different height and arm length) has a go.

Quote from cargame.nl :Isn't it possible to not reset the camera view with every race restart? Don't know why this is but every race restart I need to switch back to follow view. It defaults to in-car view.

Well that is just because I don't regard the following view as a driving view at all. So when you start to drive, you have the option of being in cockpit view or custom view, where you have things you need to be able to drive, like mirrors and look functions.

I just say to arcade racers, get into a proper driving view and stick with it a while. You will be slower at first but after some time you will get used to it and you will enjoy the sim as it was designed to be used.

But obviously that is the kind of statement that can make people react angrily! But I'm just giving my honest opinion.
"I just say to arcade racers, get into a proper driving view and stick with it a while. You will be slower at first but after some time you will get used to it and you will enjoy the sim as it was designed to be used.

But obviously that is the kind of statement that can make people react angrily! But I'm just giving my honest opinion"

it has to be said ......it has to be done
Quote from Scawen :I just say to arcade racers, get into a proper driving view and stick with it a while. You will be slower at first but after some time you will get used to it and you will enjoy the sim as it was designed to be used.

My mind cannot get used to in-car driving @LFS. I have no idea what the exact reason for this is but at Ractor2 or AC I don't have that problem.

It already is better when I use red/cyan glasses but it makes me too sick after one race. So I better stick with follow view until some better driving experience arrives. And I know quite some people who are having the same issues like I have and are still very fast with follow view or "hood" camera view. Not sure if it's nice to force people into some driving environment although I've been tempted to block Ks/Kn/mouse usage sometimes for similar reasons/thoughts

Anyway, this option is for Rift... I was just wondering this
Quote from cargame.nl :My mind cannot get used to in-car driving @LFS. I have no idea what the exact reason for this is but at Ractor2 or AC I don't have that problem.

It already is better when I use red/cyan glasses but it makes me too sick after one race. So I better stick with follow view until some better driving experience arrives. And I know quite some people who are having the same issues like I have and are still very fast with follow view or "hood" camera view. Not sure if it's nice to force people into some driving environment although I've been tempted to block Ks/Kn/mouse usage sometimes for similar reasons/thoughts

I have the same problem, with follow view is all fine but with in-car camera I cannot feel good
can't remember who it was but someone was noticing black smearing a lot
mine is fine but it seems that connections may play some part
maybe his may help (from Iracing forum ) :

" I just made an interesting observation. I have 7970 video card. When I first hooked up the rift my monitor was in the HDMI port so I used a mini display adapter for the Rift. Everything seemed to work fine playing Elite Dangerous. I thought Id switch the connections to see if it would work better. I put the monitor on DVI and the Rift on HDMI. All of a sudden I have horrible black smearing and the performance seemed worse. "

also I use nvidia I don't know if it's AMD specific, could be both
Did anyone notice a Rift bug where it seems stuttery / motion blurred when you run it the first time, but this can be corrected by turning off low persistence and then back on again?

I don't know what the circumstances for this are... e.g. is it the first time the Rift is used after turning on? I don't think 0.6F8 is any different in the way it sets these flags, so it may have happened in 0.6F7 too.

To me this looks like a bug in the Rift drivers or SDK because LFS does call the appropriate function. It seems that calling the function a little later, or repeatedly, or deliberately off then on again, may bring some kind of benefit. It's not nice to have to do workarounds when you don't really understand the problem. But reporting bugs to the Oculus developers is like talking to a brick wall, so we need as much information as possible before I launch a full bug report through every possible medium to try and get through their impenetrable blockade.
Are they so helpful with a developer that actually helps them selling their stuff?
It was me that noticed a lot of black smearing / shadow blur. I have my rift plugged into a dvi with the oculus supplied dvi to hdmi adapter. (780 Ti) I will see if a different port makes any difference. To be honest I've noticed it a lot less recently but I've changed the weather to sunny & that seems to help too.
I wonder if you could get rid of that black smear by eliminating "true black" in a really simple way - just by adding a tiny bit to the r, g, and b outputs in the Rift.psh pixel shader? If you could add 0.004, for example, that would safely exceed "1" on a scale from 0 to 255.
Double picture in each eye?
I just installed the patch and I am getting weird display bugs. Basically, when I try to use the DK2, I get two see 2 pictures in each eye, for a total a 4 pictures.

The tracking is working correctly (including positional), but the picture in the dev kit is doubled twice! If I keep the same but start the game on my regular monitor screen, then I still have working tracking, but now the picture is only doubled once (which is what it's supposed to do).

Any idea what could be the cause of that bug?
My dev kit is in portrait mode, View option in the game is set at 3d/Oculus Rift.
I have to set my DK2 as Main screen if I want the game to show up on that screen. And thats when I get the weird double double picture bug. (and if I set my LCD screen as main screen then I dont get the weird double double bug, but I cant use the DK2).

Thanks! (I'm using patch 0.6F8 btw)
Quote from Scawen :Did anyone notice a Rift bug where it seems stuttery / motion blurred when you run it the first time, but this can be corrected by turning off low persistence and then back on again?

I don't know what the circumstances for this are... e.g. is it the first time the Rift is used after turning on? I don't think 0.6F8 is any different in the way it sets these flags, so it may have happened in 0.6F7 too.

That happened for me when I used DK2 with LFS for the first time, it was version 0.6F6. Low persistence didn't seem to work so I've turned it off and back on and then the screen become darker and there was no more blur.

The difference between DK1 and DK2 in LFS is huge. Now I can see much further, all text is readable and even if it isn't I can lean forward and take a closer look. Low persistance is awesome but even without low persistance DK2 have much less motionblur than DK1.

True black smearing is not much of a problem in LFS, it's most noticable if you look around interior but it would be nice if you could somehow eliminate it.

While driving around southcity I've notice that some objects have white outline when antialiasing is turned on. Is that normal?
Quote from shmed :I have to set my DK2 as Main screen if I want the game to show up on that screen. And thats when I get the weird double double picture bug. (and if I set my LCD screen as main screen then I dont get the weird double double bug, but I cant use the DK2).

You should not have to make the DK2 the main screen.

Please can you do this, so we know the exact error message reported by LFS when you try to set it onto the Rift.

1) Set your monitor as the main monitor, with Rift in extended desktop mode (in such a way that you can partially slide a window from your desktop into the Rift and see it in the correct orientation).

2) Start LFS (on your main monitor and go to View Options).

3) Click 2D if it's already in 3D mode.

4) Click 3D, select Oculus Rift in the dialog, then click OK.

Now, at this point, what is the exact error message reported by LFS that tells you you can't use the Rift as the secondary monitor?
One thing to add, and this is a rare case but I've heard it a few times, and this advice has solved it for some people.

No idea why, yet, but some computers MUST have the Rift set to the left of the main monitor and not to the right which is the normal place!
true black smearing
Quote from Alric :It was me that noticed a lot of black smearing / shadow blur. I have my rift plugged into a dvi with the oculus supplied dvi to hdmi adapter. (780 Ti) I will see if a different port makes any difference. To be honest I've noticed it a lot less recently but I've changed the weather to sunny & that seems to help too.

Just to let everyone know, before you start fiddling with your rigs. The True Black Smearing is the DK2's hardware/screen issue and it was recognised by Oculus devs. There is currently software patch in development to minimise the effect with future software/SDK release.

Check out this link to read more about it
Quote from wasyl00 :Just to let everyone know, before you start fiddling with your rigs. The True Black Smearing is the DK2's hardware/screen issue and it was recognised by Oculus devs. There is currently software patch in development to minimise the effect with future software/SDK release.

Check out this link to read more about it

Indeed, people with samsung devices that has super amoled can test and see by them selves that it's a hardware/screen issue

You just need a screen you can slide up and down, and have at least one part that is 100% black, and slide it up and down, it's pretty noticiable on my S4 i9505
Here (in the attached zip) is a replacement Rift.psh that reduces black smear. It goes in your data\shaders folder. Rename your old Rift.psh so you can use it again if you prefer it.

This adds 0.04 to the brightness of all pixels, so there is no true black. I've found that it's not simply that a true black pixel will smear, while other pixels will not. It seems more of a relative thing, and there is always dark colour smear, it's just a matter of how much. It seems to me that darker pixels just take longer to brighten up, so it's really a personal choice how much you want to brighten up the whole image. Maybe it should be a setting, but anyway, here it is hard coded into the pixel shader. You can edit the value "ADD_BRIGHT" using notepad if you want to try different values.

Note : this value does brighten up the whole image at the expense of brightening up black areas as well. Also the brightest points on the image cannot get any brighter.
Attached files
black_smear_reduction.zip - 476 B - 480 views
have you tried toying around with the display overdrive function which supposedly helps reduce black smearing?
No, because the only time I have ever heard of that it was described as a DX11 feature.

Black smearing as I've seen it really hasn't affected me much, only when looking around the cockpit, either a dark cockpit or in a dark place, can look a bit strange.

So it's not really much of a big deal but I just thought some people might like to see this simple way of brightening pixels.
Hi Scawen,

Just some of my experience so far, I have found that v-sync off and not limiting the frame rate gives me the best results in terms of positional tracking. Using either v-sync or having the frame rate limited to the default of 100fps introduces noticeable judder or stuttering when moving my head.

I checked the driver settings and the only option for triple buffering, 'OpenGL Triple Buffering' is set to off. This is for an AMD HD7870.

I seem sensitive to any discrepancy with the positional tracking, with v-sync on or fps limited after a few minutes I start to feel uncomfortable vs a couple 1.5 hrs sessions with v-sync off and unlimited fps.

I also noticed when joining an online session, on the screen that's shown when skins are downloading just before entering the session I get very bad judder.
Finally one of the hosts I was on would display a number of messages in large text of different colours as the grid was set each race which introduced some mild judder until the text disappeared.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG