The online racing simulator
Quote from sinbad :Not wishing to be critical, but to me the right hand pics in both cases have paint which looks more metallic than in the one on the left. The left hand pic looks flat in comparison.

Here's a more obvious example
Attached images
lfs_00000030.jpg
Quote from Keiichi_Tsuchiya :Here's a more obvious example

Ok, if I may attempt to be constructive this time.
I can see the glow you have given the paint, which is nice, but it appears to be at a cost of losing some of the self-shading effect and the contrast in the reflections on the body/glass, even the driver's helmet, which for me detracts from the overall appearance.
The Raceabout pictures you posted earlier are the best representation of those things, clicking from before to after and vice-versa for me the before looks better.

I don't wish to be negative, and it's totally subjective too so don't let me put you off. If you can add some of the vibrancy to the colours whilst retaining the reflections and lighting then you could certainly improve the overall effect.
I must say I like Keiichi's version of the shaders, mostly for the idea of that kind of lighting. I also like that the it is computed per-pixel instead.

Now it actually looks like a sun is shining on it, but from some angles it looks a bit too lit (almost like a flashlight), especially in overcast weather, when the light is "not coming from anywhere".

On the other hand, it looks beautiful in sunset in my opinion. For example at South City, it is definitely better. Interior shots also look better.

Maybe it would help a bit to remove the factor of 2 in this line, since Spec is already returned with *2:
float3 total_lighting = (Lamberth.rgb * lightmap_col.rgb + In.oD1.rgb) * texture_col.a+(Spec*[B]2[/B]*In.oD0.rgb*lightmap_col.rgb);

Keep it up!

(Attachments: Keiichi - original)
Attached images
lfs_00000949.jpg
lfs_00000951.jpg
lfs_00000960.jpg
lfs_00000962.jpg
lfs_00000970.jpg
lfs_00000971.jpg
lfs_00000978.jpg
lfs_00000979.jpg
interesting possibility with those shaders file, it's just a matter of time to get some real time car light/reflection.
Hello there Scawen. I am Spark one of the TC City Driving Daily Cruisers and Firstly i would like to appreciate all the work you are doing now with Eric to make LFS Better and popular. Secondly As you know there is alot of Cruise Servers and its very nice that you are making all of these maps etc but is there a way you can make Traffic lights on tracks for better realism that work. What i mean by that is they change every 20 secs from Red than to Yellow and than to Green and than other way around. It would add soo much realism to Cruise Servers and it would be very much appreciated.
-
(CodeLyoko1) DELETED by Scawen : spam
-
(toniara97) DELETED by Scawen : spam
-
(DANIEL-CRO) DELETED by Scawen : spam
I would like that if we worked on a "fully open" configuration of South City.

But for now the priority is low.
Scawen, why remove my comment, it was a normal comment saying that this is a racing sim not a cruise sim. Is it not true, that you deleted it or is it something else that makes you delete it?
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :Scawen, why remove my comment, it was a normal comment saying that this is a racing sim not a cruise sim. Is it not true, that you deleted it or is it something else that makes you delete it?

It has been deleted because comments like that one are detriment to LFS. Yes, LFS is primarily a racing simulator, but the beauty is that you can also use it for other purposes. The physics have been made so that they work all-round. Why would we want people not use LFS in other ways, especially if those people are not in anyone's way?
Your comment excludes those people, makes them not feel welcome -> brings negativity -> annoys people -> makes people not want to come back. So while you may think you are helping, you are actually doing the opposite.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :Scawen, why remove my comment, it was a normal comment saying that this is a racing sim not a cruise sim. Is it not true, that you deleted it or is it something else that makes you delete it?

Why not?
imagine a version of South City without barriers, and working trafic lights.
It can be used also as sim in Driving schools, with the right Hardware.

The only big problem for a lot of people is the Right-Driving roads

P.s
Quote :can you spoiler us something about new cars/tracks?

About South City, we know that will be made a big city with open config.
Quote from Victor :It has been deleted because comments like that one are detriment to LFS. Yes, LFS is primarily a racing simulator, but the beauty is that you can also use it for other purposes. The physics have been made so that they work all-round. Why would we want people not use LFS in other ways, especially if those people are not in anyone's way?
Your comment excludes those people, makes them not feel welcome -> brings negativity -> annoys people -> makes people not want to come back. So while you may think you are helping, you are actually doing the opposite.

and it should stay primarily a racing simulator. You already gave everyone the tools to do whatever they want with insims. If you ar enot allowed to state a fact on a suggestion, what is the point of this whole forum?
Quote from vrajunar :Why not?
imagine a version of South City without barriers, and working trafic lights.
It can be used also as sim in Driving schools, with the right Hardware.

The only big problem for a lot of people is the Right-Driving roads

P.s

About South City, we know that will be made a big city with open config.

as said, it's already possible with insims. In driving schools they already have their own software and hardware. There are enough driving simulators out there.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :as said, it's already possible with insims. In driving schools they already have their own software and hardware. There are enough driving simulators out there.

But, lfs can be a racing simulator with a Single City which can be also used for cruise/driving school.
Lfs cars have already lights, arrows, so they need just a new version of south city.

What About License SC, a license which gives only street legal cars and South City track, for driving schools.

Edit:
Reversed Version of South City , could be with signals for Left drive.
Quote from vrajunar :But, lfs can be a racing simulator with a Single City which can be also used for cruise/driving school.
Lfs cars have already lights, arrows, so they need just a new version of south city.

What About License SC, a license which gives only street legal cars and South City track, for driving schools.

There is a reason why they have their own software. LFS will never simulate cars and traffic situations, which they need. "just a new version of south city" doesn't work.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :There is a reason why they have their own software. LFS will never simulate cars and traffic situations, which they need. "just a new version of south city" doesn't work.

Why not, in multiplayer, or maybe working on AI (but AI is stupid )
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :LFS will never simulate cars and traffic situations, which they need

There is already a large number of people using it for cruising.
Drifting also, even though LFS probably never planned to be a drifting sim.
I don't know why you are still persisting in "no, no, no..." while devs themselves have already stated "yes, yes, yes..."
Quote from vrajunar :Why not, in multiplayer, or maybe working on AI (but AI is stupid )

Because lfs is mostly a racing simulator with the possibility for other creative way of entertainment. Not a cruise simulator. That's why you will never sell any licences to drivings schools of any kind
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :Because lfs is mostly a racing simulator with the possibility for other creative way of entertainment. Not a cruise simulator. That's why you will never sell any licences to drivings schools of any kind

Ok, agree with you, but when i tried it at my cousin house with s2 and gt force, i really enjoyed it, and with an uf1000 you can drive slowly and clean.
Quote from vrajunar :Ok, agree with you, but when i tried it at my cousin house with s2 and gt force, i really enjoyed it, and with an uf1000 you can drive slowly and clean.

I know it's a lot of fun, I have cruised too. But in the end their priorities are (AFAIK) still mainly a racing simulator. So I wouldn't expect them to go so specific as traffic lights. Updated south city would help the racing community also and would give a huge boost to the cruising section as well, so I expect them to do that earlier than cruiser specific things. They still adore both communities.
The thing is that I really need to support those "flag lights" that are positioned around some of the race tracks, the ones which have blue, yellow, green, red flags (I guess, without looking) for race control - because they may be more visible than a flag.

They are just sitting there at the moment but obviously should be animated. If the code is implemented to make them work well, looking like lights that can be switched on or off (in a more general way than the existing start lights, which could also be improved in the process) then it seems quite a simple leap to implement some traffic light logic, for a crossroads etc. (if we were in the process of updating South City).
Quote from Scawen :The thing is that I really need to support those "flag lights" that are positioned around some of the race tracks, the ones which have blue, yellow, green, red flags (I guess, without looking) for race control - because they may be more visible than a flag.

They are just sitting there at the moment but obviously should be animated. If the code is implemented to make them work well, looking like lights that can be switched on or off (in a more general way than the existing start lights, which could also be improved in the process) then it seems quite a simple leap to implement some traffic light logic, for a crossroads etc. (if we were in the process of updating South City).

I approve of this, would help cruise and racers both a lot
and give penalty to red-light runners on race servers
Quote from Scawen :... to implement some traffic light logic, for a crossroads etc. (if we were in the process of updating South City).

Imagine driving schools buying LFS to let people get the basics of driving and rules of getting across crossroads before letting them drive in real car
Quote from Bigbob1993 :Imagine driving schools buying LFS to let people get the basics of driving and rules of getting across crossroads before letting them drive in real car

That would be brilliant haha!
Yeah, it would be really nice to see working traffic lights, would be really cool to have them also for racing purposes.
I (myself) used lfs a lot for training when I was in driving school, using layout or cruise servers, because lfs simulate almost all physics aspect and car like xfg or uf1 are good for that.

someone who purchased lfs are supposed to use this game like he want, cruise or racing doesn't matter at all.
Not to be a downer, but why don't we focus on getting s3 content done and then worry about petty cruising features.
This thread is closed

Progress with the Westhill version
(525 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG