The online racing simulator
Anyone planning to host server today?
Quote from buedi :I´m looking forward to the sound improvements. And I hope they will also release the SLS soon.

Hope it doesn't sound like in the Forza..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Hope it doesn't sound like in the Forza..

First thing I thought when I read this was: Thank god they don´t let it sound like Gran Turismo
But I must admit I have to look for Forza Videos how it sounds. I never played it. In my opinion LFS still has the best sound engine. They might sound synthetic (because they are), but they nailed it down pretty good so you can hear engine load and the rpm very easily, which is very important for me when racing. I hate it when sims have distorted sounds to fool the people that it´s "loud" and "mean". My ears are still working and I never heard distorted sounds when visiting a race track :-)
Quote from buedi :First thing I thought when I read this was: Thank god they don´t let it sound like Gran Turismo
But I must admit I have to look for Forza Videos how it sounds. I never played it. In my opinion LFS still has the best sound engine. They might sound synthetic (because they are), but they nailed it down pretty good so you can hear engine load and the rpm very easily, which is very important for me when racing. I hate it when sims have distorted sounds to fool the people that it´s "loud" and "mean". My ears are still working and I never heard distorted sounds when visiting a race track :-)

+1

Plus I think with a little fine tuning one can get the "sythie-ness" out of it pretty well. if only we had a few more sample based sounds like AC (gravel, misfire, interior sounds, fuel pumps etc.) it would be pretty sweet. Plus, think about it, it would make the creation of soundsets for third-party cars very easy. I mean with a little Tweak and pushing of some sliders we can make the current cars sound like whatever engine we want.

Sounds may be the factor that can make or break a third party car in AC, and IMO its the hardest part to get correct for modders.
Does anyone know of an A1/Red Bull Ring conversion?
Haha I wants it too
Haven't found one yet after checking all the usual places, found a pretty good one for RF2 which is quite fun in the DW12 though. I've always loved the A1 ring, far and away my favourite track all the way back on Geoff's GP4. I miss Geoff Crammond.
Quote from buedi :First thing I thought when I read this was: Thank god they don´t let it sound like Gran Turismo

Ehm... really, you really think that? I just can't help but disagree 100%.

I think the best sounding car I've heard is the iracing corvette. Nothing in lfs comes in close no matter from what pov you are looking at it. Purely from sound perspective it is the real recorded sound. From physics pov iracing has modeled the drivetrain flex and play (either one or both, can't remember for sure) and you can hear that.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFPsscuOWEA

I don't think forzas are bad at all either. Forzas sound just great imho. I don't know if the claims of the forza devs are actually true or just marketing speech when they say that they add little roughness to the sounds to get the same effect loudness does to the sound inside your ear but I like the results:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18WiDH1ojE

I don't know enough about pcars to comment it. Ac sounds good enough for me already. But lfs. It hasn't ever sounded good. It sounds good enough so that most of the time you are not annoyed by it. Saying that lfs has the best sound is imho like saying lfs has the best graphics...
Quote from Hyperactive :Anyone planning to host server today?

My server is up and running. I have uploaded the following tracks today:

Updated Donington
NK Prato Long and Short
NK Aosta Grand Sport

I will be on it shortly, and will be able reset it for Booking. Sorry, still cannot get Freejoin to work on a dedicated hosted server.

Fordie
Quote from troy :http://www.assettocorsa.net/as ... rsa-update-0-20-released/ Progress report on the new updates to come "soon"

This part:
Quote :Coming soon…

Is that all? Not yet: we haven’t mention new licenses for a while, but this does not mean that our licensing department is on vacation: do you remember the polls of this winter and the most voted cars? Well, we are ready to surprise you one more time. We don’t want to bore you with too many news, so let’s keep the secret a bit more..

I did not have ac back when the car voting happened so I did not vote. Anyone here know what cars came on top in that voting? What were the most popular cars that are not in the game?
So my money is on the aston gte or the audi r8 :hmm:
Quote from Hyperactive :

I think the best sounding car I've heard is the iracing corvette. Nothing in lfs comes in close no matter from what pov you are looking at it. Purely from sound perspective it is the real recorded sound. From physics pov iracing has modeled the drivetrain flex and play (either one or both, can't remember for sure) and you can hear that.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFPsscuOWEA

I don't think forzas are bad at all either. Forzas sound just great imho. I don't know if the claims of the forza devs are actually true or just marketing speech when they say that they add little roughness to the sounds to get the same effect loudness does to the sound inside your ear but I like the results:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P18WiDH1ojE

I agree on iRacing but disagree on Forza.
iRacing seems to do sounds really good, most of the sounds I have heard from it are clearly recorded from real engines/cars with good sound equipment and the sounds aren't distorted. Or if they have managed to synthesize them somehow they have done a great job and the audio guys really seem to know how certain types of engines sound.

That Forza on other hand... Horrible. That clip you posted, the sound is distorted to hell. Sounds just like the marketing speech would make me assume it would sound, they have recorded some decent audio but then ruined it trying to make it sound rough and kewl.
Forza has potential tho, some of the clips I have heard are clearly good, but all of them seem to be ruined to some extend because they wanted to make the cars sound "better" than they actually do.

If Assetto Corsa is going to get a better audio engine, it's of course good, but this still won't help to fix the problem that most car games have and that is the audio samples itself. You can still achieve pretty good result with simple audio engines like in gmotor, but you need good quality samples with no distortion which are hard to find and to record them you need to book some time with the actual cars. Or at least with cars that have similar engine layouts.
Some cars already sound pretty good in AC, but some sound really stupid, like the E30 M3. The problem with this car isn't the audio engine but the poor samples that it's using.

BTW I have yet to heard a single car game that has gotten the sound of a naturally aspirated 4-cyl with double carbs right. GTL got somewhat close. Or pretty much any 4-cyl engine for that matter. I find this interesting because from all of the available exotic cars, this type should be one of the easiest to find and book some time for recording. I might try to record my own car at one point, but I doubt my microphones are up to the job.
Quote from Fordman :My server is up and running. I have uploaded the following tracks today:

Updated Donington
NK Prato Long and Short
NK Aosta Grand Sport

I will be on it shortly, and will be able reset it for Booking. Sorry, still cannot get Freejoin to work on a dedicated hosted server.

Fordie

What is the name of your server?
Racing Tonight / This evening?
And for second time, server name ?
Quote from undertaker00 :And for second time, server name ?

Sorry

T7R Racing Server

It is up now, but I will be around in about 1hr

Oh password is "letsrace"

Fordie
Quote from Boris Lozac :Drove a F Abarth @ Silverstone Int. yesterday.. not a bad little combo. Gotta get some Williams skin

Dunno. The formula abarth feels very skittish to me. When nkpro came out the cars felt a bit like the formula abarth. Very stiff, very skittish and the road feel was almost like the tires were made of metal. But when nkpro eventually got its first physics patch that metallic feel went away. Compared to what the F2000 and ftarget felt at their best to me the formula abarth feels kind of meh. Could be the setup too. I've only driven the f abarth couple of times and I never touched the setup. Maybe it is just the monoshock front suspension that makes it wonky...
Autumn ring has been released, looks pretty good actually..

Also 0.9.8 nords is released, apparently its much closer to real life..
Quote from Hyperactive :Dunno. The formula abarth feels very skittish to me. When nkpro came out the cars felt a bit like the formula abarth. Very stiff, very skittish and the road feel was almost like the tires were made of metal. But when nkpro eventually got its first physics patch that metallic feel went away. Compared to what the F2000 and ftarget felt at their best to me the formula abarth feels kind of meh. Could be the setup too. I've only driven the f abarth couple of times and I never touched the setup. Maybe it is just the monoshock front suspension that makes it wonky...

Don't know what formula was in that latest nkPro demo, i unninstalled it, but yeah, it was scary and force feedback felt awesome.. not sure what is more realistic though, but i remember it was much more chalenging to drive. Saying that i do love the Formula Abarth, it's a blast on Imola..
OK server sorted, I fecked up the config file

So if anybody is up for a race, will re-set the booking say, at 8:30pm ( 12 mins time?)

Fordie
You still bother with that awfull system lol. Not gonna touch MP until people can join at any time, chat natively etc..

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG