The online racing simulator
I'm hugely excited about the Rift, despite knowing that I'll probably need a new PC before there'll be any point in me buying one (!).

I am a bit worried about how playable it'll be though, given that I won't be able to see the keyboard. Since I use the paddles to shift, the lack of hand movement (to a stick) won't bother me.

Something that hugely surprised me a few years back: when I tried to show some friends and family how cool LFS is, a couple of them felt nauseous driving it on a normal screen! (Can't recall if it was a laptop or desktop - probably laptop - but I've never felt remotely nauseous in LFS or games so this baffles me.)
Quote from Flame CZE :I turned it off completely, because I find it weird looking at two wheels I even hate the paddle clicking sound, I can hear it once coming from my wheel, why hear it twice?

But for keyboard/mouse drivers it can be more convenient to have it turned on.

Quote from Matrixi :You seem to be talking about simply having it as a non-VR feature, whereas I'm talking about VR implementation. Sure, there's no reason not to have an AC type delay based shift animation for non-VR users on standard monitors, but somehow I don't think we're going to see such detail in LFS unless there's a specific purpose and reason to have it.

I haven't had a Rift devkit for ages. And when I did try LFS with it, the support was still based on an unofficial hack involving several third party tools to make it work, AC wasn't even out at the time.

The only thing that VR users can do for now is simply suck it up, and "deal with it" until we get affordable VR gloves which enough developers are willing to support for low latency hand tracking.

is a matter of get used to it to the new animation. as you mention is better have something that don't have it all and it could add more immersion to lfs experience as others sim do, or a option to turn it on or of IF sometime it whould be implemente on lfs
sorry for the offtopic, that was all
Quote from Inouva :is a matter of get used to it to the new animation.

It's not. Once you try VR with your own eyes you will understand why compromises do not work when it comes to seeing your virtual body, but yes enough of OT.
E17 - updated translations and some fixes
Changes from 0.6E16 to 0.6E17 :

Translation updates for most languages

Fixes for old bugs :

OOS error after an idle car was hit by objects
OOS error when an car was pushed out of bounds
Joining car could not enter physics when many objects were moving

https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=85807
Found a little bugie

You are in track selecting screen, server change /weather, and image of current track dissapear. In 0.6E it takes you to the lobby, so you can't see that.

BTW regarding last few posts...
I highly support mentioned mirror additions

About OR, tried it some time ago, but didn't really liked it. Felt so dizzy afterwards, you can't go immediately to real world after you put it down. Maybe it has something to do with settings dunno.And resolution is just horrible Like games from 90s you can count pixels one by one without any problem Even tho they increased resolution in DK2, thats still not enough IMO. OR is still in early phase and need to be polished.
Attached images
lfs_00000238.jpg
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Found a little bugie

You are in track selecting screen, server change /weather, and image of current track dissapear. In 0.6E it takes you to the lobby, so you can't see that.

I can confirm this, the track image became grey. Oh bro ... great job ... but ... how the hell do you spot these bugs?!

1. Singleplayer - 2. Track - 3. Select for example KY1 with clear day weather - 4. Press OK to load the track and weather - 5. Click Track again - 6. Write the /weather=2 command to change the weather - 7. the game hangs a bit and then the track image becomes grey.
With default wine 1.7.19 setup I had a problem (see screenshot)

And someone refered to installing some d3dx9_* DLL from microsoft and it helped!

I installed some of them (can't say which exactly did help) using winetricks script and it fixed the thing.
I've just given this patch a short run and it looks good here.

Distro: Arch Linux
WINE: wine 1.7.19-3
Driver: xf86-video-ati 1:7.3.0-3 (the open driver)
I already had dx9 installed via winetricks

FYI, Arch Linux is a rolling release so we always have the latest and greatest software. The downside is that, every once in a while, the constant upgrades can break things.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm pleased it's working on Wine when the correct D3DX9_43.dll is available.

I think the correct D3DCompiler_43.dll needs to be there as well, but I guess that comes with it.
Hmm, apparently I already have these files installed which explains why it "just worked" for me. I don't remember installing them but I suppose I must have at some point :-)
Just noticed that the track map changes colour when cycling through cars in the latest test patch.

It is lighter when viewed in an FZ5 or RB4, and darker when viewed in an FO8.
Attached images
lfs_00000160.jpg
lfs_00000161.jpg
Quote from Bean0 :Just noticed that the track map changes colour when cycling through cars in the latest test patch.

It is lighter when viewed in an FZ5 or RB4, and darker when viewed in an FO8.

I guess it is rather feature -- car roof is dark, so you need a lighter map
Quote from vitaly_m :I guess it is rather feature -- car roof is dark, so you need a lighter map

It should be a consistent colour.
It's black in single-seaters (no roof) and cars with no roof set (UF1 & LX), and it's white in cars with a roof, so it's got some contrast with the dark interior.
Why can't it be light in all cars then ?
Dark map on a light blue sky background is better than light

If you insist, you can change it in Options - Display - Interface - Small map light / dark sliders.
Umm, so 0.6E behaves the same (in this respect)?
As far as I know, it's been like that for ages.
Kubuntu 13.04, wine 1.4.1
* run LFS
- many textures missing (with "can't open ...")
* installing "d3dx9_43.dll" with winetricks
* run LFS
- works OK
- driving on notebook's overheated touchpad more than 5 laps is crazy, my finger hurts

Can you test that missing support for DTX1 (or what it was) just after you test windows for missing DX9? Even the same error message would probably help, as basically installing DX9 (dlls) helps wine users too.

Disclaimer: I never drink wine, I just run it.
Quote from Flame CZE :Dark map on a light blue sky background is better than light

If you insist, you can change it in Options - Display - Interface - Small map light / dark sliders.

Alright, how long have those options been there ?

Edit:

Is it possible that before the test patches the map stayed the colour it would be in the car you are driving when you cycle through the other racers, and now it changes depending on what car you are viewing from ? This could explain why I've never noticed it changing colour before.

When viewing a replay the map does not change colour at all.
I tried it using patch Y and it behaved the same way. And according to lfs.net, the small map colour can be changed since patch X.
well its funny how i have 40+fps comparing to dx8 now

i notice some strange things (maybe its not my side but..)
when i jumped from aston to blackwood the sky was black for 10-20 secs then it reset its self
again in blackwood i found a hole in the tarmac while i was driving jumped in and then the texure came back up

edit:nevermind i forgot that i had boinc running on the background..
E18
Some new updates including a new DCon. This is supposed to be the final test patch.
If any hosts could test the updated DCon that would be great. Thank you.

Changes from 0.6E17 to 0.6E18 :

More translations have been updated and corrected
Random weather selected by default when loading a track
Message "Track loaded" now shows which track was loaded

Commands :

/track command (change track) accepts a weather parameter
e.g. /track BL2R 3 <- selects 3rd weather on Blackwood 2 reversed

Fixes for new bugs :

Selected track image vanished if /weather command was used

Fixes for old bugs :

Joining host OOS if host started with invalid /weather value

https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=85807
-
(DANIEL-CRO) DELETED by Scawen : thanks, corrected
An interesting feature is that if you use the /track command in the normal way, to select a different track environment, the weather will be randomly chosen. You can override this by using a number after the track command.

For example /track BL2 3 will select weather 3 at Blackwood.

If you use the /track command (without a weather value) to change configuration on the currently selected track, the weather will not change.

Similar behavour is seen on the track selection screen. If you select a different track environment, a random weather will be chosen.

The idea of this is to avoid the problem that the first weather was nearly always used, so this just provides a little graphical variety as originally intended.
Maybe print a message that the command does not work when you are in the race? (/weather 1 e.g.)

edit.
Have one suggestion. Before downloading the track, show also other objects were cleaned (layout). It irritates me.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6E15 (now E19 - DirectX 9 + 3D / VR support)
(136 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG