The online racing simulator
I did read the whole report! And I still think they weren't actually guilty of running too much fuel, but of not doing the right thing as per the regs. The FIA had to DQ them for breaching the fuel flow figures (as that's what their sensor said), but I don't think they actually were.

I agree that the engineers made some large errors by taking matters into their own hands.

The ballistic sheild was, as far as I'm aware, first spotted from dyno photos of the Ferrari engine compared to similar photos from Merc/Renault dynos. But, of course, I am prepared to be corrected on that

With the dodgy sensors, I'm not sure they have 'agreed to race', and probably had bigger fish to fry with gettings things to work for more than 10 laps at a time. There is, and still is, a lot of finger crossing going in down the pitlane regarding all of the new engine stuff.

Will be fascinating to see how it all unfolds.
wow, took me a while, but wow
Good race from Bottas, shame about the wall kiss though
I think its no coincidence that the young drivers had done exceptional at melbourne, the formula for how power is delivered is soo different everyone this year is essentially a rookie.
Quote from speed1230 :Good race from Bottas, shame about the wall kiss though

she would get banged
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Warming his tongue up for the hotel room that night!

Not everyone has a dirty mind. Some just like posing for pictures.
Quote from dimassss :http://youtu.be/jS4Dh_EAfJI

I actually prefer the V6s there. The V8s were always a poor replacement for the V10s that came in the years before. I never grew to really enjoy it from 2006-2013. The nuances of the V6 sound better to me (especially from onboards, not as much from trackside), but a bit of a volume increase would be good. The fact that you can now hear the spectator reactions and tyre squeal above the engine noise is also pretty cool. Good riddance to the wall of boring noise that typified the V8s.
Quote from amp88 :The nuances of the V6 sound better to me (especially from onboards, not as much from trackside), but a bit of a volume increase would be good.

Exactly, I like the onboard sound but a volume boost would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully they will adjust the exhaust a bit and give it more decibel for next year, sucks for those people going to watch it live when it's that "quiet".
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :Hopefully they will adjust the exhaust a bit and give it more decibel for next year, sucks for those people going to watch it live when it's that "quiet".

Quote from http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/11/new-engines-not-much-quieter-v8s-fia-says/ :The sport’s governing body estimates the maximum volume of the new engines is around 134 decibels, down from 145 last year.

It claims the new engines are louder than the typical noise level at the front row of a rock concert (110 decibels) and above the threshold of pain (130 decibels). At close quarters the difference in volume will hardly be noticeable, it added.

Wouldn't call 134 quite, still louder than almost any trackside exhaust noise limits (the new 911 GT3 reaches 130 dB too, but full N/A screech there)
I feel atm its more of a adjustment problem for the broadcasts, as if they're stil used to last years V8 noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA0Hun0xb-Y
I really kind of like the new sound
Quote from ACCAkut :Wouldn't call 134 quite, still louder than almost any trackside exhaust noise limits (the new 911 GT3 reaches 130 dB too, but full N/A screech there)
I feel atm its more of a adjustment problem for the broadcasts, as if they're stil used to last years V8 noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA0Hun0xb-Y
I really kind of like the new sound

That.

I also like the new sound. Decibel drop is quite big but it is still "dangerous" loud to human ear. It may sound littlebit quiet on TV but im sure live sound is completely different.
Exactly, people are complaining that it isn't ear splitting, but forget that this is still a V6 turbo with straight pipe exhaust. If they don't think it's loud, then they ought to put a straight pipe on their own car and see how quiet it is.

I think it will actually do the sport some good to have quieter cars. Whereas you used to hear the cars miles away from the track, the new sound doesn't travel nearlier as far or strongly. That means less noise complaints around the circuits, nullifying one of the most common 'cons' of an F1 race to the trackside community. Yes, it will still be the loudest event most tracks have, but only by a significantly smaller margin.

Additionally, it could make the sport more accessible to casual fans. They won't need to worry about buying earplugs/headphones just to make sure their eardrums don't rupture and hell, you might even be able to take a toddler to the track without them crying the whole time.
Quote from Rappa Z :
Additionally, it could make the sport more accessible to casual fans. They won't need to worry about buying earplugs/headphones just to make sure their eardrums don't rupture and hell, you might even be able to take a toddler to the track without them crying the whole time.

Like if the earplugs were 1 million dlls... they are 1 dollar so it's no big deal.
Quote from chanoman315 :Like if the earplugs were 1 million dlls... they are 1 dollar so it's no big deal.

its not the price, it's the comfort
Quote from Rappa Z :Exactly, people are complaining that it isn't ear splitting, but forget that this is still a V6 turbo with straight pipe exhaust. If they don't think it's loud, then they ought to put a straight pipe on their own car and see how quiet it is.

I think the loudness is important for the people who are at the track because the sound is not just what you hear but also what you feel. As for tv audiences I think the sound is very mediocre. I think indycar even sounds better and the only difference is that indycar doesn't have as complex energy recovery systems (braking doesn't sound like tape recorder on fast rewind) and the main difference is that indycar has 2.2 litre engines while f1 has 1.6l.

In the end the modern f1 cars sound like leaf blowers. As a person who only sees and watches f1 cars on video I don't really give two craps about the decibel levels personally. I don't think the v8s sounded really awesome either onboard but at least it was sound worth hearing from the track side cameras. Now the only thing the track side noise has going for it is the sound of squealing tires and sounds from the audience. The sound of the engines is just bad.

I don't think there is anything that can be done with sounds. The mistake of shitty engines is already made and we are way too deep into it to change anything really. In a way I feel bad about complaining about the bad sounds because the engine sound is just show. It is something superficial and trivial. F1 is for me about the form following the function and in a way I feel like complaining about something that really shouldn't be this important as a pure tv viewer and as a fan of f1.

I'd like the sound be nice about the f1 cars. It's not really a deal breaker for me. The onboards are still not horrible but not exciting either. This is exciting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdd4mzrUX8E
This is exciting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZXBPE64DXs
One thing I don't really understand is that during the worst of the recent blown diffuser period (2011) many of the cars sounded absolutely terrible under braking. Much, much worse than the current V6s do at any time. We didn't really hear that many complaints. Imagine if you turned up at a GP and you heard this.
Come on... Why is it so hard to understand that the wow effect is gone for most fans.

It's not about how good it sounds, how clean it sounds. It's ONLY about how loud it sounds. It's about when you went to a race and heard those things for the first time and thought "Holy. Shit." with the mega grin on your face.

It's fine on TV...I love the growl and whirrs and pops...but I also know I'll find dirt cheap tickets for the GP this year. What made a lot of people show up at the track is gone. I'm not sure I want that.
I understand that the at track experience suffers greatly with the new motors, but I think that once the teams become acclimated to the new engine package that the racing will be much improved for a TV audience (which is where the majority of income is obtained in today's motor racing environment).

I enjoyed Sundays race despite the engine failures. I thought that it was in all a pretty good race.

On a side note, maybe silence would be better. Tires squealing, crowds cheering. The atmosphere would be more pure, but clearly something would be missing unless a rumble / shaking was still achieved (which would be most awesome) . How to do this? You can't (with today's technology)
This thread is closed

Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG