The online racing simulator
Quote from Cornys :I understand that the at track experience suffers greatly with the new motors, but I think that once the teams become acclimated to the new engine package that the racing will be much improved for a TV audience (which is where the majority of income is obtained in today's motor racing environment).

I enjoyed Sundays race despite the engine failures. I thought that it was in all a pretty good race.

On a side note, maybe silence would be better. Tires squealing, crowds cheering. The atmosphere would be more pure, but clearly something would be missing unless a rumble / shaking was still achieved (which would be most awesome) . How to do this? You can't (with today's technology)

The track environment means more because its what everything is leaned on, if no one turns up to the races you get no promoters wanting to hold them and the whole thing collapses.

That said it makes the TV experience much better with quieter engines as now you can get an idea of the atmosphere which you couldn't before.
Quote from amp88 :One thing I don't really understand is that during the worst of the recent blown diffuser period (2011) many of the cars sounded absolutely terrible under braking. Much, much worse than the current V6s do at any time. We didn't really hear that many complaints. Imagine if you turned up at a GP and you heard this.

I think that sounds AMAZING. If we had that plus some antilag pops and crackles in the current F1 cars I'd not complain about the sounds at all.
Quote from PhilS13 :Come on... Why is it so hard to understand that the wow effect is gone for most fans.

It's not about how good it sounds, how clean it sounds. It's ONLY about how loud it sounds. It's about when you went to a race and heard those things for the first time and thought "Holy. Shit." with the mega grin on your face.

The first time I heard them live (Austin 2012) was awesome, you could hear them from far far away from the track and you knew you were late for the FP.
Quote from chanoman315 :The first time I heard them live (Austin 2012) was awesome, you could hear them from far far away from the track and you knew you were late for the FP.

My first time we were a bit late and FP1 started as we were walking to the grandstand. In Canada the walking path is right inside the circuit but sometimes you don't really know where you are relative to the track because of the many trees.

The first car came out of the pits and the sound got louder and louder....we didn't know but at that place we were maybe 20 feet away from the track we couldn't see behind trees. You should have seen our faces when the car went by....
I think this classic quote sums it up pretty well...

But I really like blown diffuser's uneven sound
Quote from PhilS13 :
The first car came out of the pits and the sound got louder and louder....we didn't know but at that place we were maybe 20 feets away from the track we couldn't see behind trees. You should have seen our faces when the car went by....

I doubt it will be the same face if you go this year.
It's amazing how many people are attached to the prospect of getting tinnitus on a day out.
I don't mind the sound, could do with being a bit louder.

I did watch Spa 2000 last night though. The V10 was a special noise.
Quote from englishlord :It's amazing how many people are attached to the prospect of getting tinnitus on a day out.

I wonder how many people who whine here have ever been at a race and have heard what different car types sound like and just how loud they are. There just is no comparism of being at the track and watching a broadcast. I haven't heard a modern F1 car in real life yet, but F3000s, which used the Cosworth DFV from '80s F1. You don't hear a car like that, you feel it
I'll just leave this here.
Not sure whether to dump this here or the caption thread...
"Open, you stupid ice-cream"
#642 - col
He's shaking up a can of coke for pastor (who's clearly not paying attention).
Q1 delayed 15 minutes.

Come ooooonnnnn it's 4 am here.
Yep, bed.
lol williams u do dis to us :tit:
Red Bull's advantage is downforce so ofcourse they get wet weather both q sessions so far.
inb4 it rains in bahrain
what the ****?
C'mon McLaren. Surely you've got a better car than Forze India. I dare you.
This thread is closed

Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG