The online racing simulator
Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
Quote from Racer Y :What really tripped me out was what she got.
She got a BMW GT800 (?) It's a sports tourer. It looks like a nice bike... just not really the sort of bike I'd expect her to be into.

<shrug> What would you expect her to be on?

Quote from Racer Y :I dunno isn't it usually the other way around? The person gets a sportbike, then gets old and gets a Harley?

I know a trackday coach who will be turning 61 this year. He rides a 2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R. Same guy owned a Harley K model back in the day and has ridden all over the country, albeit on a different bike I think, probably a 1990 Honda CBR1000F.
Quote from Forbin :<shrug> What would you expect her to be on?

I know a trackday coach who will be turning 61 this year. He rides a 2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R. Same guy owned a Harley K model back in the day and has ridden all over the country, albeit on a different bike I think, probably a 1990 Honda CBR1000F.

.... I dunno what bike I expected her to get... LOL still in shock about her statement...
Also, Going by the tattoo I drew up for her, the club she rides with (borderline 1%ers) you wouldn't think a Beemer.
Personally I think this bike is better suited for what she wants, but still...wow.
Oh well... Now if I can get her to wear a brain bucket. She slammed into the back end of an SUV, face first, about three years ago. You'd think she'd wear one after that nasty face plant.

ROFL maybe your trackday coach and her are distantly related?
Quote from Racer Y :Bandits are good all around motorcycles.
Triumphs.....?
Is a Street Triple the same as a Speed triple? I've always liked Triumphs - from a distance. They had a naked sport bike that looked cool (is that the triple?), but I really don't know much about them. A guy I did some graphics work for has an old school bonneville bobber chopper. It really looks good. This dude collects motorcycles and has all kinds of bikes. Single guys get all the neat toys, don't they?

The Street Triple is the 675cc and the Speed Triple is 1050cc. They are almost identical looking and have amazing sounding 3 cylinder engines! They're classified as streetfighters from stock. They have quite a sporty look and riding position but with high handlebars rather than clip-ons.

A guy at the bike shop I go to and use had a Street Triple, the 675cc version, and he had his up to 172mph!
Quote from Gills4life :The Street Triple is the 675cc and the Speed Triple is 1050cc. They are almost identical looking and have amazing sounding 3 cylinder engines! They're classified as streetfighters from stock. They have quite a sporty look and riding position but with high handlebars rather than clip-ons.

A guy at the bike shop I go to and use had a Street Triple, the 675cc version, and he had his up to 172mph!

Damn....

Man... I would love to have a sport bike. But, I have this horrible vision of this:
http://backmarker-bikewriter.b ... -one-for-fat-tuesday.html
No. I'm not that bad...not yet...
Speaking of Triumphs, there's this guy I run into every once in a while on the way to work. He has this big ass monster Triumph. I love the thing!
Nah, it ain't all high performance, but it looks cool and it has that 3 cylinder sound you've mentioned. It'a not like a thump sound, more like a I dunno, a rumbling growl.
I don't know what it is... A thunderbird? It's not a Rocket. I like the way the exhausts look.
kind of like fins on an old cadillac.
Quote from Gills4life :A guy at the bike shop I go to and use had a Street Triple, the 675cc version, and he had his up to 172mph!

You will believe anything won't you?
I once took a fixed gear BMX bike up to Mach 3.
Quote from Racer Y :Speaking of Triumphs, there's this guy I run into every once in a while on the way to work. He has this big ass monster Triumph. I love the thing!
Nah, it ain't all high performance, but it looks cool and it has that 3 cylinder sound you've mentioned. It'a not like a thump sound, more like a I dunno, a rumbling growl.
I don't know what it is... A thunderbird? It's not a Rocket. I like the way the exhausts look.
kind of like fins on an old cadillac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Thunderbird_900

Newer Thunderbirds are parallel twins like the Bonneville.
Quote from sil3ntwar :You will believe anything won't you?

But, why would he lie about it? Maybe his claim of 175 was actually 165? That's still fast. I seen a 750 drag bike hit just under 180. LOL I imagine if the guy got that bike going that fast, it was probably pretty freaking far from stock.
I watched a documentary about the British Rocker scene and the bikes they rode. They had a saying called pulling a ton. Or something. It meant going over 100.
I guarantee you that everyone on this forum that has a bike that can go that fast and then some - has. And I imagine that in that bike shop were people that are the same way. So I doubt the guy claiming that didn't do so without being able to back it up.
Quote from Forbin :Well it's certainly not a Harley sound.

Parallel twin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6PjKUxoPxY

V-twin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKGFau2Wzic

Probably not so much a lie as too much faith placed in the accuracy of the speedometer. IIRC, law requires the speedo to be somewhere between 100% and 110% relative to actual speed (i.e. 10% optimistic). 172 / 110% = ~156.

What the hell is it with us (Americans) and Harley Davidson? I mean, for what it is, a Harley is a good bike and all, but that's just it. It's just a bike.
But not here. It's almost like a religion or something.
I think the 1200 is their best motor. no I don't. a 1940's knuckle head 74 is.
Speaking of 1200s.. That "Girl's bike sportster" my brother got is really looking good!
And I guess you need to see it, but it really is little!
If you parked your 650(?) next to it and a cager walked up to them, they'd think your bike had the twice the ccs as his.

Oh yeah... sorry a little drunk at the moment...
Anyhow, you had these graphs of various models from various makes. a couple of posts back.
LOL you're the bike guru. you're a genius with this stuff. With your knowlege you should consider a career writing for motorcycle magazines, if you don't contribute already.
Hiccup!
Those graphs...
Those graphs are for new bikes. Pretty much right after being broke in - right?
There's an old cartoon I saw in an old Easy Rider Magazine a zillion years ago.
It showed a dude on a hog in a traffic intersection and a kid on a crotch rocket challenging him to a race. Below it, the caption read, "OK same bikes. Ten years from now".
Wouldn't it be cool if there was some way to get the same sort of graph
but with the bikes after i dunno 50 - 60k miles?
And maybe a list as to what if anything got replaced or fixed with whatever model in that span?

Tires... Is it just me or does the price of tires totally suck?
Speaking of tires... ain't having to deal with that strap of tread comes off the 18 wheelers fun to deal with? Damn, today, on the way to work, I come around a car and wound up in a lane full of it. It looked like the tire just exploded off the truck (lorry).
Quote from Racer Y :Anyhow, you had these graphs of various models from various makes. a couple of posts back.
LOL you're the bike guru. you're a genius with this stuff. With your knowlege you should consider a career writing for motorcycle magazines, if you don't contribute already.

A solid grasp on how bikes function, decent riding ability, and google-fu do not a writer make. At least not an interesting one.
What f#cking tool trying to hide from responsibility.

I hope his pockets get nice and and empty.
Plenty of room to pass around the outside there, obviously not using their head.
Ah I want to try some off-roading this year to.

Looks like proper fun mate!
Quote from sil3ntwar :You will believe anything won't you?

How have you come to that conclusion?

My 650cc at around 85bhp can get to 155mph with enough road. I don't see why a 675cc 110bhp bike with FAR less weight couldn't do the speed that he said.

What Forbin says is true, what the speedo says will not be your true speed but no one is going to read what their speedo is saying and then make an approximate guess taking accurate measurements of wind resistance and the fact that all speedos show you going slightly faster than you are.

So for you knit-pickers, he had it up to 172mph according to his speedometer but possibly not exact to his true real-time speed. :rolleyes:
Quote from EspenLund :Hello fellow racers, first post on this forum and i though: why not post my bike and say "hi" at same time . I see some very nice bikes in this thread

This is my Kawasaki KLE500:

And there are my videos from 2013 Poland KLE meeting (first video first 10 minutes are booring)

http://youtu.be/xWgN1YwVhYc?t=9m41s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiWESDv7vUg

cheers&have a nice day

Dual purpose bikes....
Nice bike!
ROFL I've never seen one that looks like the rider took it off-road since I was a kid.
My first bike was a Kawasaki 100. I don't remember the exact model name, but it was a dual purpose, only we called those bikes enduros back then. Didn't get to ride it much, but it was fun what I did.
LOL There are times when I'm stuck in traffic, see a field I can ride through and wish I was on a bike like yours instead of the chrome tank I live on.
Quote from sil3ntwar :Crash from my trackday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrNiO7GTBEg

Everyone was ok. There was a 2 metre passing rule and not allowed over that yellow line (told to treat it as a concrete wall)

I'm glad you wasn't hurt. To be honest, I hated your video. It sucks to be reminded how easy and quickly something like that happens. Yeah, I know. It comes with the territory, but it still sucks. And again, I'm glad you're OK.
If you have a friend that's thinking about buying a bike, but his wife/mom has doubts, don't show them this. I knew I shouldn't have seen the video. Now my leg hurts.

A friend of mine, Mark Gineux (sp?) died of a heart attack last Saturday. A day after his mother passed.
He has (had?) the world record for vintage bike at the Pike's Peak run.
He had a zillion bikes. From a 1949 HD pan head to the hopped up Yamaha he rode at Pikes Peak and just about any other type of bike you can think of in between. He was a good guy. If you gotta go, taking a world record with you ain't bad.
Quote from Racer Y :Dual purpose bikes....
Nice bike!
ROFL I've never seen one that looks like the rider took it off-road since I was a kid.

Thanks You mean you havent seen dirty - not washed enduro?

Quote from Racer Y :
There are times when I'm stuck in traffic, see a field I can ride through and wish I was on a bike like yours instead of the chrome tank I live on.

Chrome=chicks! But It's nice to sometimes see traffic jam, be like "meh" and "go green"

Quote from Chrisuu01 :Ah I want to try some off-roading this year to.

Looks like proper fun mate!

It is fun, but if you think of serious offroad its too heavy I like this bike but im thinking to change it for somethings like yamaha wr250/450, because i discovered i really like dirt and speed, more than ability to go long-distance travel (it would be fine to have both bikes but monies, monies)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcoxOnibBz4 <-
Quote from Gills4life :My 650cc at around 85bhp can get to 155mph with enough road. I don't see why a 675cc 110bhp bike with FAR less weight couldn't do the speed that he said.

Mass has no bearing on aerodynamic top speed for land-based vehicles. It only comes into effect when the slope of the surface is significantly off level such that gravity is helping or hindering, depending on whether it is positive or negative slope.

Also, aerodynamic drag increases with the square of speed, such that the force (and by extension, power) required to reach a particular speed is also squared.
Whatever you say, sir. I trust your knowledge is greater than mine when it comes to aerodynamics.

I still have no doubt that a Street Triple R could reach 172mph indicated by the speedometer.

Mind you the road he said he did it on is a very long wide motorway with some downhill stretches! He also may have had the wind behind him

There's an onboard video on youtube of a guy reaching 150mph on the Bandit 650 so I can't imagine the Street Triple R struggling to do more... Maybe I am just naive -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqDyrO4eLcU
Quote from EspenLund :Thanks You mean you havent seen dirty - not washed enduro?

Chrome=chicks! But It's nice to sometimes see traffic jam, be like "meh" and "go green"

It is fun, but if you think of serious offroad its too heavy I like this bike but im thinking to change it for somethings like yamaha wr250/450, because i discovered i really like dirt and speed, more than ability to go long-distance travel (it would be fine to have both bikes but monies, monies)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcoxOnibBz4 <-

Chrome=chicks!

Oh yeah, my bikes are chick magnets ... but not just chicks....
One night I was gassing up. This car pulls up at the other pump. Out gets these gay guys. One of them, this funky looking black guy, starts going off, "That's a mans bike. a MAN'S bike". and gave me the same look that those cute girls with daddy issues usually do. You know, I'm an open minded guy and all. I could care less if a person is gay or not, but that really was an uncomfortable feeling.
Quote from Racer Y :Chrome=chicks!

Oh yeah, my bikes are chick magnets ... but not just chicks....
One night I was gassing up. This car pulls up at the other pump. Out gets these gay guys. One of them, this funky looking black guy, starts going off, "That's a mans bike. a MAN'S bike". and gave me the same look that those cute girls with daddy issues usually do. You know, I'm an open minded guy and all. I could care less if a person is gay or not, but that really was an uncomfortable feeling.

You know, there is bright side - gays are attracted to you so it means you're handsome I'm not surprised this was uncomfortable, but if he wasn't intrusive I think it's ok, eberybody needs somebody

Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG