The online racing simulator
Quote from Matrixi :Just terrible cockpit camera movement and derpy shift animation as far as I can see.

Besides that it looks kinda extremely grippy and then extremely understeering, the cockpit camera is the main issue, or the physics... It doesn't look realistic when compared to this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2smVTiyRpjo

E: yeah i'm slow, lol
I know most of you will blame me but is just wrong to play using the cockpit camera anyway. My steering wheel is the one I'm phisically holding with my hands, and my dashboard is the table (or whatever you have between you and your screen). What I see in the screen is what I'm supposed to see through the windshield of the car. That said, I hope there are customi cameras just like in LFS.
It might be my T500RS drivers or just the fact that it's thecnical preview, but FF sucks for me even thiough 99% of you think is the best thing ever. This and the lack of interesting cars (I only like road cars) means I am not sold on this game, and my expectations are not that high. No hype here.
Do you mean you use the hood view or just not the steeringwheel and a fixed camera? I think most people do it like that.

LFS does it kinda great. It's pretty much directly linked to the suspension/forces, although a limit would be useful to limit the distance the head moves. I do use a tiny bit of it, just enough it doesn't go "out of bounds"
Hood view would be great but generally feels very weird because it has no movement at all, is like having a GoPro on the dash of the car, so you don't perceive any movement that driver's head would do, and it makes it feel "feedback-less". Fortunately you have plenty of settings in LFS so is the only game where I can use it.
That means bumper camera is the only option for me in most games, which is not completely right but is unfortunately the only one that works.
All sim developpers just go for the eye candy choice. making animations and high detailed dashboards, without really thinking about this point. LFS is one of the few exceptions.
Quote from NitroNitrous :I know most of you will blame me but is just wrong to play using the cockpit camera anyway. My steering wheel is the one I'm phisically holding with my hands, and my dashboard is the table (or whatever you have between you and your screen). What I see in the screen is what I'm supposed to see through the windshield of the car. That said, I hope there are customi cameras just like in LFS.

This doesn't make any sense. Steering wheels and coffee tables (or whatever the wheel is connected to) typically don't display the information that the sim car's wheel/dashboard do. Sure, there are slight exceptions (such as the G27 displaying shift lights and gear), but having dials with rpm, gear indicator and other displays (including the rear-view camera that will appear on a number of cars in AC and is visible on the above 458 video) just makes sense. If the sim car's wheel has information your wheel can't display then you should use it. I appreciate this is personal choice, but denying yourself information that you should have access to (i.e. that you would have if you were actually driving the sim car) because you don't want to see 2 wheels or a dashboard is an indefensible position if you wish to have others accept it.
That's why hud display data was made for
Ok, is not realistic, but I spend most of the time looking at the track than to that info you're talking about, so it makes sense to have a proper driving view as a priority to me.

Anyway lets not go off topic, this discussion will end up as usual, coming to the conclusion that 3 screens are needed because otherwise the FOV is not realistic and blah blah... lets just say sims today are way far from perfection in not only phisycs, but any other sense too
Being wip can mean a lot of things though. The car might not be physics wise ready yet which could mean the setup can be completely bizarre. Depending how detailed the undertray aero is the car can be painful to drive I'd imagine. Or if the diff settings or arb settings are even close to reasonable.

They seemed to be confident enough to show it though which suggests on some level it is representable in some ways about the actual quality of the sim. The car defenately has some strange understeer oversteer moments and the car almost looks like it's going from one physics mode to other at times.

As for physics and video I think you can make some estimations from video about how some sim drives. If it looks very wrong like pcars or if it looks like kinda nice but kinda strange (forza and gt). Or if it looks kind of good at times but bizarre at other times (gpl).

It is relatively easy to tell for example which video shows an onboard lap from lfs, rfactor2 or pcars. Each have their own distinguishable handling characteristics. Lfs looks really smooth, flexible, the cars yaw a lot and there is no snap moments when going from neutral to oversteer for example. It looks extremely controllable. Rf2 is very nervous on the limit and it shows as well. Pcars kinda glides and yaws in a strange way that is almost like a combination of understeer and four wheel drift but you can't really tell from the video if it is either one.

The ac looks a bit like pcars to me. Not very good. But it would have to be extremely strange if kunos has found a way to go backwards from his nkpro tire model which is defenately quite good. The sound is not very good either.
Quote from PMD9409 :Just wanted to say that car in the video isn't the GT2 spec version. The one in AC is from 2011 it seems. This is the only decent video I can find of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFcEZlW2Jcw

Right, i've overlooked that; watched this video first too and compared my impression, but then decided for the Monza one.

What the difference seems to me is that, driving on the straight, it kinda floats, while the real car is really shaken up and bumping extremely. First i thought the head camera is what looks so wobbly, but really, it seems the whole car is. Maybe its the setup and it has a similar issue like LFS, where you can set extreme soft suspension without it hitting the chassis.

Same with the understeering; it seems kinda snappy from my uneducated and clueless pOV. I'd assume he'd either understeers and he gets off course massively or could only barely keep the line
I would've removed that video from yt, it's that bad..
Kunos and I are besties..

@KunosStefano what the hell is wrong with that "DEV05" video Kunos, it looks like NFS underground

@BorisLozac what's wrong with it?

@KunosStefano physics look so messed up, people on lfs forum are properly worried

@BorisLozac weird.. honestly I have watched the video one time and it looked ok. Funny people can label it "messed up" without driving
Well that was tactful....
Well he's not called Boris 'Tact' Lozac for nothing.
They have Mercedes license.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Kunos and I are besties..

@KunosStefano what the hell is wrong with that "DEV05" video Kunos, it looks like NFS underground

@BorisLozac what's wrong with it?

@KunosStefano physics look so messed up, people on lfs forum are properly worried

@BorisLozac weird.. honestly I have watched the video one time and it looked ok. Funny people can label it "messed up" without driving

Plz Boris, tell them more about LFSforum worries. I'm sure they give a shit.
I'm sure he's well aware of LFS and does give a shit
Well, asking the iRacing forum for opinions on physics would be barking up the wrong tree. It'd be like asking a smelly, greasy homeless man for hygiene advice.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well, asking the iRacing forum for opinions on physics would be barking up the wrong tree. It'd be like asking a smelly, greasy homeless man for hygiene advice.

Noone would ever ask you for hygiene advice
Quote from Boris Lozac :To me it looks like gamepad + all driving aids.

:nol2: sadly

Quote :NOTE: digital instrumentation and driving animations not yet completed
Circuit: Autodromo di Monza
Car: Ferrari 458 GT2
Time of the day: 12:00
Free practice
Driving assists: disabled
Game device: Fanatec ClubSport Wheel

Hardware configuration
Intel Quad Core
4 GB Ram
GeForce GTX 560

Ingame graphics detail level: mid-high (1920x1080, Anisotropic filtering 8, 4xAA, 4xFXAA, car reflections: mid, shadow map: high, faces per frame: 4, 3x motion blur)

Well, actually... Fanatec wheel. Might as well be gamepad.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG