The online racing simulator
Drag racing Mode :o
damn...this game will be revolution
Not sure i approve a drag racing beeing there.. :/
Why? What's the harm in having more content?
And more content possibilities.
I don't mind drag racing, as long as they don't change the physics for it. Like in the NFS series.. I don't think they will though, so no harm done.
I want a drift mode like in NFS!
Quote from Matrixi :Why? What's the harm in having more content?

I don't know, just from a point of wasted resources and time.. Those 'all in one' products never turn out good.
There's a drag "mode" in LFS too...
Quote from Boris Lozac :I don't know, just from a point of wasted resources and time.. Those 'all in one' products never turn out good.

Jesus, you're like my girlfriend - always seeing only negatives. Seriously, everytime I'm reading your posts you are not satisfied or disagree with something.

The more the better. Can't see anything bad on drag or drift...
Again I re-ask the question:

Boris, where's the racing simulator that you've developed so we can play it and see the dividends your obvious expertise has brought to the table.

Oh, right. You haven't.
Quote from Boris Lozac :I don't know, just from a point of wasted resources and time.. Those 'all in one' products never turn out good.

Why it would be wasted? The same laws of physics that apply to drifting apply to F1, rally, DTM etc.

'All in one' sim would be the pinnacle of all sims. LFS is pretty close to it, the same physics work ok for street cars, open wheelers, DTM/JGTC, rally, drifting and drag -type of racing.
Despite of LFS' drawbacks, to date I have not seen another sim/game handle so well all aspects of all racing types with the same set of physics.
I'm not sure if Playstation's Gran Turismo physics are the same for all racing types, but as a experience, GT is close, its limitations mainly are because of car manufacturer license restrictions. For example, the physics would allow you to roll the car, but it would stop the action due to license restrictions.
Quote from Mysho :Jesus, you're like my girlfriend - always seeing only negatives. Seriously, everytime I'm reading your posts you are not satisfied or disagree with something.

I have no idea why it turns out that way, if you heard me saying that in person it wouldn't come out like that
I'm well hyped and blown away with this game, just hate seeing some things i know true sim racers don't need.
Quote from Boris Lozac :I have no idea why it turns out that way, if you heard me saying that in person it wouldn't come out like that
I'm well hyped and blown away with this game, just hate seeing some things i know true sim racers don't need.

Do you speak for 'true sim racers'? Don't think so. Why wouldn't a true sim racer be interested in drag racing? I wouldn't mind.
I don't want to be a negative girlfriend anymore, i will leave it at this, i like a product that does one thing and does it good, be it games or anything else. Not saying they will not nail the drag racing.. maybe they will, just don't want it to be there for the sake of beeing there, like multiplayer mode in say, Uncharted..
You do realize it also concludes that point to point racing is completely possible. No need to be pessimistic about a new feature, instead be upset with the fact we aren't driving it yet.
NKP supported point to point racing with the hillclimb. People modded it as well to allow multiple drivers. Kegectys had his soapbox car, and people made it into a downhill.

Was cool.
A drag strip isn't exactly something that would take a lot of dev time up, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a part of some kind of test track facility like the one in nkp, I forget it's name, it had the skid pad. When's the eta anyway?
Quote from sinbad :A drag strip isn't exactly something that would take a lot of dev time up, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a part of some kind of test track facility like the one in nkp, I forget it's name, it had the skid pad. When's the eta anyway?

It was crema i think. It had that circle thing you could drive around.

I think the biggest thing to get right with drag racing is the tire physics as the initial launch of the car where the speed starts from 0 has been quite unimportant feature for sim racing for quite some time and sims have had some "big" problems with it. Mainly iracing but I think many games have this thing called low speed physics which kicks in at really slow speeds (less than 1kmh or so). For normal racing that part of the physics is not very important but for drag racing it is kinda important.

Other thing to get right is the timing. You would not want to create lots of drag racing content if you do not take ping into consideration. Especially at 400m drag racing you do not want to give the other player half a tenth advantage just because he has low ping. For normal racing and starts that difference makes no difference but in drag racing I think reaction times is very important. At 160kmh speeds for example a difference in ping of just 0.05s means already 2.2metre difference.
Drag times can be clocked locally.

Opens more room for cheating though.
Quote from Boris Lozac :...i like a product that does one thing and does it good, be it games or anything else. Not saying they will not nail the drag racing..

It's a straight line...
Quote from Hyperactive :
Other thing to get right is the timing. You would not want to create lots of drag racing content if you do not take ping into consideration. Especially at 400m drag racing you do not want to give the other player half a tenth advantage just because he has low ping. For normal racing and starts that difference makes no difference but in drag racing I think reaction times is very important. At 160kmh speeds for example a difference in ping of just 0.05s means already 2.2metre difference.

But the ping would only matter for visual reference, while the actual calculation or timing happens locally, i'd assume

E: oops keling mentioned that already
Depends how the startlights are done. If when the light goes green the server sends that message for all players then the player with smallest ping will see the green light first. Small differences in ping don't make much difference but even a tenth is a lot.
Who cares anyway, it's only to sell the game to a broader selection of FnF teens.
You must mistake that with like Grid 2 or something, where tehy claim to put so much effort in it, while the greatest feature are fireworks on the sideline and teh physics are simplified to ridge racer style without the "cool" thing.

AC should to be something for car enthusiast and drivers. How it really turns out, no-one knows, but at least they seem to make a real effort, without just trying to get rich.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG