The online racing simulator
Quote from troy :Wouldn't lfs still access the disk while searching for it locally?

You are absolutely right of course, but my point was that the hitch occurs when the skin isn't available, unless you mean the process of searching for the non existent skin on disk is causing the hitch? If that's the case wouldn't the conversion from full to compressed be far more resource intensive than a simple search? I have Full (as opposed to compressed skins) turned on, and available skins do not give any problems. It's only the missing skins that cause a hitch/stutter even with compressed turned on.

My thoughts are that the process of accessing LFSW, or some other agent (antivirus) might be slow and causing the interruption. For now I just set skin downloads to off and the problem is circumvented.
Skin names are mentioned in the InSim so I could make something to auto spectate people who doesnt use a skin which is uploaded to LFSW.

But..

Sadly I can't verify if a skin exists or not because Victor made a general error when you try anything here;
http://www.lfsworld.net/showsk ... e=XFR_justarandomname.JPG

Better would be; "this skin doesn't exist" ... But, no idea if he wants to do this change.
Quote from cargame.nl :Skin names are mentioned in the InSim so I could make something to auto spectate people who doesnt use a skin which is uploaded to LFSW.

But..

Sadly I can't verify if a skin exists or not because Victor made a general error when you try anything here;
http://www.lfsworld.net/showsk ... e=XFR_justarandomname.JPG

Better would be; "this skin doesn't exist" ... But, no idea if he wants to do this change.

Hint hint:
http://skins.liveforspeed.net/XRT/512/XRT_NYAN.JPG

Set your user-agent to just "LFS" for it to work.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Set your user-agent to just "LFS" for it to work.

Cool, can do something with this
That could be useful, but is only really relevant for mid race joining.
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :aah.. woohoo im not the only one.. good to know. my con is 30mb so i could not understand why this happened.

thread back on track

Happens to me too time to time

Quote from NotAnIllusion :It would be lovely if there was a third option to download / apply skins while not in an active session or while not moving.

i think lfs have already this. the only time i see the "New" skin being applyed is when my car goes under 60kph otherwise when above 70kph there is no skin being apply, in fact i never saw a sking being apply on the fly while racing in my years on lfs.

I dont know if just lucky from my end but was allways like that.

also i'm still experiencing when a car popup in the pit some times i have that small ( 0.1sec) freeze when the game generate the plate on the car.
To me my problem was never with the downloading of them And that screen stutter, To be honest I learned to ignore it. But it was when I was behind a car that I hadn't loaded the skin for, Noticed it when I was behind a [SR] dude when he came out of the pits, When he came from behind the wall, he had a soild white car, and my frames went down to about 2 - 5 FPS until he was out of my field of view, It even lagged when he was in my mirrors, but the second his skin popped up it was all fine and dandy, back up to 200+ FPS or whatever it runs at. xD

It was also saying some weird stuff like "cannot open skin" or such, It was a long time ago, but I thought I should add it in since I was just lurking.
So even if the skin is available then it can cause problems. OK then I have no fix for it.

On the other hand I wonder why people demand 2012 stuff while they are at a computer with parts from 2005.
Quote from cargame.nl :On the other hand I wonder why people demand 2012 stuff while they are at a computer with parts from 2005.

Meh, the issue - whatever it is - is likely there for everyone. It could be that a slower PC highlights the issue/bug/feature... for which we should be grateful, right? Cos then we can squash it
Quote from cargame.nl :On the other hand I wonder why people demand 2012 stuff while they are at a computer with parts from 2005.

That's a bit harsh. It's only the odd occasion when the skin isn't available that this happens, otherwise I'd say that LFS runs better than it ever has - even on older kit.

http://www.lfs.net/?page=downloads

My gut feeling is that the local search method or accessing LFSW for a non existent skin is not optimal, or has a too higher priority thread. An already saturated CPU would struggle in such a case. I've monitored the network bandwidth, and reviewed replays, niether of which show any problem. The stutter/hitch only seems to happen during a live game, and is most noticeable while driving. A small hitch can be seen while spectating in cockpit view, but is not as pronounced.

It would benefit everybody if LFS was lean and mean in all areas, so therefore allowing for more processing power dedicated to physics rendering imho.

To stress the point. It is not the skin download that appears to be the problem, but the attempt to retrieve a non existent skin. Furthermore, the message notifying that your own skin is not available also shows this behaviour. Perhaps LFS client is waiting for LFSW to reply, and this causes the hitch.
CPU cores and the GPU are nowhere near 100%, FPS in the 100s and happens occasionally. Very inconveniently in corners or close to other cars. Whatever can be done to minimise or eliminate this is a good thing.
AFAIK, most of the skin loading related stuttering is to do with LFS being largely single threaded.
I cant find cargame S2 and S1 for a week. Do you know what is happening? I can see that it is online from lfsw but when I refresh servers in lfs I cant find it.
Quote from L@gger :I cant find cargame S2 and S1 for a week. Do you know what is happening? I can see that it is online from lfsw but when I refresh servers in lfs I cant find it.

They've been up all week, that's for sure. I think you have to update to 0.6E. Check downloads page on LFS.net.
Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :They've been up all week, that's for sure. I think you have to update to 0.6E. Check downloads page on LFS.net.

He couldn't/wouldn't open server list if he wasn't on 0.6E version as before opening it, LFS asks you to update.

The problem is on your side I think as I was there this week. Can you connect to CG through "Join specific host"?
Yes I can join it but I cant see it with everything selected.

EDIT: Now after first join i can already see it. Maybe this should be reported as bug?
Wondering how many s2 servers i cant see and they are online.
Quote from Scawen :Look! The ridiculous conversation starts immediately!

Why don't you just file a lawsuit against the hacker!?
It may be difficult or impossible to find out the hackers identity, depending on the country he lives in.

And what he did might not even be a crime, in his country.
He is using proxy servers to go online, from all kind of countries Sweden, France, China, Korea, ...

Anakin Skywalker - if you want more attention go and jump out of building. I promise you, you will be in every local newspaper :ambulance
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :He is using proxy servers to go online

Huh - LFS works with proxy servers?!? HTTP over proxy - sure. But UDP position updates?
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Anakin Skywalker - if you want more attention go and jump out of building. I promise you, you will be in every local newspaper :ambulance

I'm sure there are so many suicides committed nowadays that no newspaper would report them individually.
Its not called proxy, its called VPN networking.

But are we giving attention to this again? Kids never learn here huh.

Quote from PLAYLIFE :Why don't you just file a lawsuit against the hacker!?

That response had nothing to do with that. Learn to read.

Besides, ever started a lawsuit? Takes months and many many many hours of useless time.

---
I think he is gone anyway. So, time to focus on tire physics in the new year, I guess.

Quote from Neilser :Huh - LFS works with proxy servers?!? HTTP over proxy - sure. But UDP position updates?

Quote from cargame.nl :Its not called proxy, its called VPN networking.

Not all proxies are web proxies.
Quote from cargame.nl :Its not called proxy, its called VPN networking.
[...]
I think he is gone anyway. So, time to focus on tire physics in the new year, I guess.

Quote from Degats :Not all proxies are web proxies.

On the proxying point - there is actual evidence of multiple countries being used? Because while you can do anonymous web proxying from countless servers out there for free, I didn't think the same was true for VPNs or any other methods of proxying. Thus he'd surely have to have actual control of (via a legit account or maybe a trojan) the machines that are acting as middle-men...

But hey, if he has packed up and gone, then great, game over

New Version : 0.6E
(618 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG