The online racing simulator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BATk_Yf8D48

This is how stupid it gets with everything here, Scawen writes something and immediately needs to protect / back up his words. And thats why there is no progress report or whatever worth to be putted online.

Always but, I've heard.. No I know better! ... Not.

Quote from Degats :Not all proxies are web proxies.

Seriously, you don't have to tell me the difference between a proxy server and VPN networking. Explain it to the rest here who thinks they just invented the wheel (nice on-topic analogy).

Most cannot even setup a good lag free connection. Hence this nice update.

Quote from cargame.nl :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BATk_Yf8D48

This is how stupid it gets with everything here, Scawen writes something and immediately needs to protect / back up his words. And thats why there is no progress report or whatever worth to be putted online.

Always but, I've heard.. No I know better! ... Not.

Firstly, jeez Dave, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning??

Secondly, your link shows how a paying customer of a VPN vendor can connect to stuff from lots of different countries. See my comment about "legit account" above? This is not how hackers roll, because the VPN provider could (and in this case probably would - based in the UK, lol) give their details straight to the authorities if a complaint was made. This doesn't really anonymise him at all if what he has in mind is illegal...

Finally, who contradicted Scawen?? Not sure what you mean by that.
What about christmas presents?
Quote from Neilser :your link shows how a paying customer of a VPN vendor can connect to

There are also free services but I didn't bother to link to them or explain that in detail. Why is such extensive explanation needed, everyone has Google or not?

Quote from Neilser :

Its the annoying simplicity of postings.. "Why don't you start a lawsuit", we are not in a movie.

Reacted on a quote which became out of context [again]. And with 14-16 year olds I can understand it a little bit but some are 30 or older, come on.
Quote from Neilser :

Firstly, jeez Dave, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning??

Secondly, your link shows how a paying customer of a VPN vendor can connect to stuff from lots of different countries. See my comment about "legit account" above? This is not how hackers roll, because the VPN provider could (and in this case probably would - based in the UK, lol) give their details straight to the authorities if a complaint was made. This doesn't really anonymise him at all if what he has in mind is illegal...

Then again, there are prq.se, kebrum.com and other decent VPN services that don't rat their users out.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Then again, there are prq.se, kebrum.com and other decent VPN services that don't rat their users out.

Picked kebrum.com at random. Found this in their terms:
"If you violate any of our terms that involve criminal activities, you will forfeit all the privacy and confidentiality privileges that our service provides."

I doubt that any clueful black-hat hacker would pay for VPN services of this kind.
Quote from Neilser :Picked kebrum.com at random. Found this in their terms:
"If you violate any of our terms that involve criminal activities, you will forfeit all the privacy and confidentiality privileges that our service provides."

I doubt that any clueful black-hat hacker would pay for VPN services of this kind.

If you knew who creators of Kebrum.com are, and what/whom it was made for, you'd know that this statement in their terms is there just to scare away script kiddies.
(that being said, their services were a bit better back in 2010, when registration was invite-only and their site wasn't publicly accessible)
Quote from E.Reiljans :If you knew who creators of Kebrum.com are, and what/whom it was made for, you'd know that this statement in their terms is there just to scare away script kiddies.

Ah.
(And em, it could be argued that we're veering off topic now so I think I should end this strand of the thread )
Ok this may be a little bit offtopic, but multi-core support is going to become available with S3? Considering the fact that physics will be improved, it will need more power to process.. everything. So this is something I'm looking forward to.
Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :Ok this may be a little bit offtopic, but multi-core support is going to become available with S3? Considering the fact that physics will be improved, it will need more power to process.. everything. So this is something I'm looking forward to.

That'd require massive engine update..

but then again, Scawen implemented one in 0.6B by allowing open-road configs - something that required major engine update - so, multi-threading actually might happen.
Quote from E.Reiljans :That'd require massive engine update..

but then again, Scawen implemented one in 0.6B by allowing open-road configs - something that required major engine update - so, multi-threading actually might happen.

Thing is I've got an Atom DualCore 1.85GHz with HT aswell (4 threads) but its kind of useless. I get a pretty low FPS on a grid with over 25 racers and I know it could be improved just by adding multi-core support. That's why I asked in the first place.

Anyway.. if there might be a change, then FUC*IN YEY!
[from 6th December 2012]
Quote from troy :Just had a crash with 0.6E, not sure where the problem was, I switched back to desktop checked my email and then lfs crashed out of nowhere. Error report I got, maybe it points you to some culprit at Scawen:

(I also saved temp_mpr if that would be helpful?)

edit: Could it be a new track loading and LFS somehow having problems with that? I'm pretty sure the host changed tracks a few minutes after the race ended, which would explain why LFS crashed some minutes after I alt-tabbed out of the game.

The crash seems to be in a part of the code that is used when the track is being generated, so it probably is something to do with the host changing track. I've had a go at reproducing it, changing tracks on the host while the guest is in a window, but could not find a problem.

Can you remember the exact time line of events, did you ALT+TAB from full screen, was LFS minimised at the time, did the host change tracks while LFS was minimised...

This is not really high priority as it is the only time I have heard of this crash. But if anyone does ever find a way to reproduce it, it will be good to fix it although it seems to be very rare.
Quote from Scawen :[from 6th December 2012]The crash seems to be in a part of the code that is used when the track is being generated, so it probably is something to do with the host changing track. I've had a go at reproducing it, changing tracks on the host while the guest is in a window, but could not find a problem.

Can you remember the exact time line of events, did you ALT+TAB from full screen, was LFS minimised at the time, did the host change tracks while LFS was minimised...

This is not really high priority as it is the only time I have heard of this crash. But if anyone does ever find a way to reproduce it, it will be good to fix it although it seems to be very rare.
  • Finished race
  • alt-tab from fullscreen
  • lfs still running in the background
  • checked mail
  • lfs crash
I don't know what exactly happened on the server in the background, but usually they change track a few minutes after the race ended, so it could very well have crashed once the track changed, can't be sure though. Never happened again so far, had lfs alt-tabbed from full screen plenty of times, could've been a problem on my end too I guess.
Scawen, something you might find interesting ... It's a Defcon 2012 (20) talk about fuzzing online games.

DEFCON 20: Fuzzing Online Games, might give you some ideas as to what Anakin Skywalker is doing. The idea of using packet information and correlate that memory offsets so you know what packet affects what memory offsets. It's very useful to combine both of them from the outside ... and then there is DEFCON 19: Hacking MMORPGs for Fun and Mostly Profit that goes over some techniques that he might be using. I would of PM'ed or emailed you with this, but your account does not allow PMs from low life members like myself.
Well, the fact that someone is able to connect without gone through the new authentication procedure indicates something very fundamental in the communication is going wrong. It seems like it is an "opt-in" authentication
Maybe someone installed a general backdoor on the server and joins with a local IP, I don't know, there are hundreds of things I would check, but I can't.
I'm still recieving connection issues with LFS. Never had them before 0.6E. I'll just be playing and my entire left side of my house Internet will be overloaded and shut down(two wireless networks because the house is old enough to have walls that stop wifi). All of a sudden chat will lag, then all the cars will lag, the I crash. Always seems to happen during peak hours too!
Are you sure there is no one else connected to your wireless point using bandwidth? You can log in and check the DHCP client list to see what units have been assigned an adresse on your network.

You can also use tools like insSIDer to check if there is any signal interference with other wireless networks and units in your area.
Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :Ok this may be a little bit offtopic, but multi-core support is going to become available with S3? Considering the fact that physics will be improved, it will need more power to process.. everything. So this is something I'm looking forward to.

4 tyres = 4 threads
Quote from Blade3562 : All of a sudden chat will lag, then all the cars will lag, the I crash. Always seems

Well thousands of racers are racing every day without a problem so I'm afraid its somewhere @your end.
Quote from Blade3562 :I'm still recieving connection issues with LFS. Never had them before 0.6E. I'll just be playing and my entire left side of my house Internet will be overloaded and shut down(two wireless networks because the house is old enough to have walls that stop wifi). All of a sudden chat will lag, then all the cars will lag, the I crash. Always seems to happen during peak hours too!

Switch to the right side of your house. lol kidding. Check your IP settings and make it static for all computers in your house with each one having it's own separate IP that won't conflict with each other. Once that's done, monitor your network traffic with something like Comodo that can tell you whats going on in real-time.

If it's affecting multiple computers but not all of them, it's most likely not caused by LFS. That's usually caused by some internal IP address error / conflict like when a computer has a dynamic IP of 192.168.1.100 and a computer that was just turned has a static IP and tries to connect to 192.168.1.100 also instead of 1 number higher, 192.168.1.101. This is a very common problem I hear of a lot and the only way to fix it is to set all IP's to individual addresses with only the last 2 numbers being changed.
So I have looked into it and even hard wired just the compute for LFS and disconnected all others. It's really odd! Any other online game works. Even my PS3 the farthest point from the router works. Does it make a difference that the server is hosted in another country?
Quote from Blade3562 :So I have looked into it and even hard wired just the compute for LFS and disconnected all others. It's really odd! Any other online game works. Even my PS3 the farthest point from the router works. Does it make a difference that the server is hosted in another country?

Obviously. The ping will increase the further the server is.

Also about that crash, I had it too today.
I do not find very fair play from LFS have changed the speedometer.
I speak for XFG who is now a display 40 and 80 and 120 and 160 and 200 km/h.

I use a lot of XFG But this has all changed the way I perceive the new speedometer.

What I mean is with another speedometer and that changes everything for benchmarks and for WR is not fair play.
It hasn't been changed has it?
Quote from GAVD999 :It hasn't been changed has it?

old speedometer was :
20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 / 120 / 140 / 160 / 180 / 200

New Version : 0.6E
(618 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG