The online racing simulator
Euro Truck Simulator 2
(580 posts, started )
Reversing is super easy. Just push your head out from the window and steer the trailer into the spot just like you would do in a real car. You don't even need to get the truck in line with the trailer. It is ok as long as as the trailer is where it is supposed to be.

Anyways, had my first "hard" mission. You start on the bottom of some mine and your truck just stalls when you try to get up from there. Looking at the options there is no options to turn on any low speed range on the gearbox and no n2o or any other gimmicks either...? Am I supposed to push the damn thing up the hill myself?
How can you stall in 1st gear? I always start from 3rd or so (but with auto clutch).

P.S. is there any way I could change my controls to mouse+pedals like in LFS?
I do not know if this game has it, but on Scania trucks there should be one or two low gears (below 1st). These are called CL and CH I think.
Should be completely impossible to stall the thing, even with full loaded truck.
It is this mission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYLis3j79uY
The truck just dies about halfway up the hill. I've tried speeding up to get more momentum but it just dies there...

I also tried doing donuts on the gravel but the truck just fell on its side. Disappointing
Haha!

Well so you stalls in the hills in this video?
What gears are you using, and I hope you use manuall?

If there is, try starting in the CL/CH high gears and keep the RMP between 1000-1500 (in this area you get the most out of the diesel engine(s)). If it's easy to accelerate try to go up a half gear (if possible, depending on your truck) or a whole gear. If your speed decrease fast try dropping down two gears. Ideally just find a gear which you can go up the hill without too much trottle, and accept that it goes sloooooooooooooooooow (be not tempted to aceelerate too much and try a gear up)!

Again, there might be some misinfo here, since I do not know how realistic this game is compared to the real deal.

Edit: What you mean by die'ing? It just stops, even at ideal RMP and stuff?
Is there some warning indicators going apeshit?
Quote from The Very End :Haha!

Well so you stalls in the hills in this video?
What gears are you using, and I hope you use manuall?

If there is, try starting in the CL/CH high gears and keep the RMP between 1000-1500 (in this area you get the most out of the diesel engine(s)). If it's easy to accelerate try to go up a half gear (if possible, depending on your truck) or a whole gear. If your speed decrease fast try dropping down two gears. Ideally just find a gear which you can go up the hill without too much trottle, and accept that it goes sloooooooooooooooooow (be not tempted to aceelerate too much and try a gear up)!

Again, there might be some misinfo here, since I do not know how realistic this game is compared to the real deal.

Edit: What you mean by die'ing? It just stops, even at ideal RMP and stuff?
Is there some warning indicators going apeshit?

No, it just stalls like an engine stalls when it does not have enough power or you are not giving it enough gas. The gear mode I'm using the "realistic automatic" which should automatically change gears as I need. It does not change down from D2 to D1 automatically so I'm guessing it is a bug of some sort... It is supposed to be like the real auto trans in that truck so it should automatically change to as low gear as it needs...

There is no option to change gears myself into any low speed modes. It did go up the hill in reverse though so it is clearly a gearing issue of some sort . There are also some nice downhil serpentine roads in that mission. Lots of drifting and sliding to be had when going down...

I've been trying to find some harder missions but no luck really. The hardest it can get when you go too fast into a tight turn and you have to drift past other cars using the outside shoulder of the race track... ehm I mean the road. I've only tipped over twice. Emphasis on the word only. Once when I tried to do donuts on gravel and other time when I did not lift almost at all when going into those 270 motorway intersection lanes (sp?). There seems to be tons of room for any kind of driving though. I've been passing other cars using the outside shoulder of the road. Sometimes you hear a thumb but no fines appear so I'd guess I've driven over some squirrels and hedgehogs...
Ok, change to manually this right instance and it will be sorted

Also, the Scania trucks (at least the 2008 modells IIRC) have several automatic choises. You should be able to chose which gear range the automatic gear box should go from, so if you chose 1-2 it will not go higher than that.

But it's a know thing that automatic gear boxes can cause shit, also in real life. It's adviced to change to manual gear before step downhill or uphills.

Let me know how it turns out
Quote from Boris Lozac :This one is tricky, think my load was too wide..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wev2YQ92Rck

u just dont know how to drive a semi properly
u cant just go around such stuff like u would in a car...see the pic for reference.

BLUE= Truck
RED= Trailer
BLACK= Your obstacle.

thats it...roughly at least.
i find it easier in real.
Attached images
semi.jpg
Quote from BlueFlame :You call that tricky? REALLY?

Just made a wide entry, you really turned in too early there for the trailer to follow correctly.

That video is actually very painful to watch.

Ok mister trucker, so sorry i caused you pain..

@ rcg Boosted

Yeah I thought I was semi-good but clearly not But i think i would've passed if the load was a bit different.
Quote from The Very End :You should be able to chose which gear range the automatic gear box should go from,

That's the point I'm trying to make. There is no controller option to select any modes or change gears in any way except forwards, backwards and neutral. And that is supposed to be "realistic automatic".

Using that gear mode it is simply not possible to get up that hill.

This is what I'm suing. The next option is sequental which is not what I want because the truck is supposed to have autobox.

And lol boris. Just wide entry and it is super easy. You can fit an oil tanker there. There is even enough space for a u turn on the yard...
Enjoyed the demo, but is this really worth $40?
I think with the right setup and a fast computer.
I'm using G27 with 27" lcd and all settings to maximum.
I may even hook up my Saitek X52 for the additional buttons.
And don't forget the two mods for physics and speed limiter.
If you like repeating stuff over and over again then yes, it's worth 40$.
Quote from Hyperactive :That's the point I'm trying to make. There is no controller option to select any modes or change gears in any way except forwards, backwards and neutral. And that is supposed to be "realistic automatic".

Using that gear mode it is simply not possible to get up that hill.

This is what I'm suing. The next option is sequental which is not what I want because the truck is supposed to have autobox.

And lol boris. Just wide entry and it is super easy. You can fit an oil tanker there. There is even enough space for a u turn on the yard...

Ah, thanks for the picture, helps me understand
Hmm, in the trucks I am currently driving (in real life) you have sequential shifting with paddles on the wheel. There should be some button or lever or what you call it to change the gear range.. but seems game does not support that.

My advice is then to try the sequential shift. Yes - a lot of gearing (since I guess there is at least 12 gears forward yes?) but it will help you up those hills as you can deside the RPM and controll it easier.
Quote from The Very End :Ah, thanks for the picture, helps me understand
Hmm, in the trucks I am currently driving (in real life) you have sequential shifting with paddles on the wheel. There should be some button or lever or what you call it to change the gear range.. but seems game does not support that.

My advice is then to try the sequential shift. Yes - a lot of gearing (since I guess there is at least 12 gears forward yes?) but it will help you up those hills as you can deside the RPM and controll it easier.

The game has two ranges, 1-6 and 7-12.
That's no near presicly enough :/
With auto on the trucks I have tried you can do all sorts of ranges.

I think in step hills with a heavy load you need to start on 2, 1 or the CL/CH gears. Is there no way to set the range to 1-4?
If not manually seems to do the trick!
If you get confused about the gears be glad this sim doesn't have the full Roadranger box with 18 forward and 6 reverse speeds. That is the gearbox our truckers here in Australia prefere to have behind the big Cummins engines they use.
It could also do with diff locks for muddy and slippery conditions.
All in all though, I think it's a pretty good sim.
Quote from shorty943 :If you get confused about the gears be glad this sim doesn't have the full Roadranger box with 18 forward and 6 reverse speeds. That is the gearbox our truckers here in Australia prefere to have behind the big Cummins engines they use.
It could also do with diff locks for muddy and slippery conditions.
All in all though, I think it's a pretty good sim.

I would like more gears and a bonnet. I can't believe some of you are at such high levels. I am going for a truck on my own.
Still rocking my Volvo with 750HP, made it 6x2 (no idea why) last night and I'm near level 12 with 4 other drivers.

I'm sad that I haven't found a Scania dealer yet, all other trucks are horrible IMO. Which truck is the most powerful?
I think the Volvo has the most powerful engine, but pulling power, the Scania might have it.

E: There's a Scania dealership in Manchester and Aberdeen.
I'm caving in...
Quote from Xaid0n :I think the Volvo has the most powerful engine, but pulling power, the Scania might have it.

E: There's a Scania dealership in Manchester and Aberdeen.

Scania was the first one I found on maybe level one or two.

Euro Truck Simulator 2
(580 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG