The online racing simulator
They've got to sort out the sounds though post NetKarPro. We can't still have that canned sounding skid noise, and somebody kicking a dustbin if you go off track. The latter I can still hear.
Who says old Monza and the Sudschleife? If you're just basing it on those track maps in the picture I'd say don't get too excited, that could be misleading.

If they are indeed included, though, I'm buying it for sure. Absolutely.
Quote from MAGGOT :Who says old Monza and the Sudschleife? If you're just basing it on those track maps in the picture I'd say don't get too excited, that could be misleading.

If they are indeed included, though, I'm buying it for sure. Absolutely.

Well...

No more info on VLN yet. They didn't want pictures taken of it, probably still way too WIP to show anything. Or maybe they had it converted from nkpro just for testing purposes. Then again...they have it licensed (logo on the track menu indicates license) Non licensed tracks like Mugello aka Scaperia on their track list have no official logo on them.
Quote :Aristotelis Vasilakos wrote:
I'm the one drifting guys and I can confirm that nobody has yet managed to actually drift the car in gamescon. Some power drifts have been able, but no actual drifts. Also Marco and Stefano do not manage to drift like that at all. You need to know the technique. If you know what you're doing, it's easy and natural. If you don't know, it just won't work.

The car is also setup for drift like this:
- Normal physics, no "special mode"
- street normal tyre, NO "special" tyres at all.
- Stiffer suspension and a bit oversteery (not too much)
- 200kg less weight from the street car
- drift car steering rack with around 50-55 degrees

That's all.

For Gamescon the grass grip has been raised a bit, so that's why you can see me not totally spin when I touched the grass. That won't be the case on the final release, it's only for the show.

That fills some gaps.
Quote from Taavi(EST) :Well...

No more info on VLN yet. They didn't want pictures taken of it, probably still way too WIP to show anything. Or maybe they had it converted from nkpro just for testing purposes. Then again...they have it licensed (logo on the track menu indicates license) Non licensed tracks like Mugello aka Scaperia on their track list have no official logo on them.

Aaaarrrghhhhh this is going to be amazing!!!!!!!
Quote from Taavi(EST) :Well...

OH HELL YES! :hyper:
Let's hope you're right..
It has 3 "modes". The main one being a full simulation like what we are used to. The others are just you're normal aid-filled stuff. Instead of people going into options and manually doing it (that actually puts people off, crazy I know), they just make modes for it.
Quote :Aristotelis Vasilakos: Well, after 3 days at GMC and hundreds of people driving ten hours/day, our stats tell us that only 5% of users DON'T use a cockpit camera.. ;-)

haha
Raceroom will be another Simraceway, just with prettier graphics and even more ads. No thanks.

Quote :SimBin recently announced the name of their project they have been working on lately. What was first classified as GTR 3 seems to now be re-branded to RaceRoom Racing Experience.

No GTR3 apparently, at least not the conventional, wallet friendly kind GTR2 was.

Quote :PhysicsThe physics felt like a continuation of what we’ve already experienced in the RACE Series but then maybe a tad more easier. My first laps in the Aquila CR1 car were quite easy and never did it really feel like a big challenge to keep the car on the track, though I assume some driving aids were turned on for the broader public. The steering actually felt a little smoother and more direct than we experienced in the RACE series.

http://www.racedepartment.com/ ... cing-experience-hands-on/

So the future of simracing seems to be in the hands of ISI and Kunos. (Wake up ScaViEr!). Well DK and the gang have done some nice work as well and continue to do so in the future, but i don't have enough arms and limbs to pay for it.
Quote from Taavi(EST) :(Wake up ScaViEr!).

You gotta love them, they have a VERY loyal community, maybe the best physics engine, and yet they let the game die and only show up on forums to delete some spam or racist comment..
Quote from Taavi(EST) :Raceroom will be another Simraceway, just with prettier graphics and even more ads. No thanks.

No GTR3 apparently, at least not the conventional, wallet friendly kind GTR2 was.

So the future of simracing seems to be in the hands of ISI and Kunos. (Wake up ScaViEr!). Well DK and the gang have done some nice work as well and continue to do so in the future, but i don't have enough arms and limbs to pay for it.

I doubt the prices will be stupidly high, also you should look around other places to see what other information you can gather:
Quote :

Jean-François Chardon

I think there is a misunderstanding about that, it needs to be clear that for Gamescom, we decided to use the amateur driving model, which includes ABS and traction control. The final game will include Get Real driving model. Also, people here at Gamescom easily made laptimes around 1:28, where the optimal lap would put you around 1:22.5-ish, so the true potential performance of the car has yet to be experienced by the visitors.

Offtopic
Quote from Boris Lozac :You gotta love them, they have a VERY loyal community, maybe the best physics engine, and yet they let the game die and only show up on forums to delete some spam or racist comment..

The masterservers are down?
Here's another drift video on a single screen. Which shows (briefly) how much less steering lag there is when the resolution isn't that huge. V-sync still on, so some steering lag remains. http://www.youtube.com/watch?f ... mbedded&v=B_De-kdVx9k

Also shows that drifting isn't as easy as Aris first showed, he obviously had had a lot more practice prior to GC. Where this guy was having his first go at AC, but has real world experience in drifting.

The setup, as mentioned is a bit crazy for a production car
Quote :Aristotelis Vasilakos:
The car is also setup for drift like this:
- Normal physics, no "special mode"
- street normal tyre, NO "special" tyres at all.
- Stiffer suspension and a bit oversteery (not too much)
- 200kg less weight from the street car
- drift car steering rack with around 50-55 degrees

Quote :Roy Visser: I did my best today drifting (and think i succeeded ) in the short amount of time you get in the Demo (only 3 laps) But as a fan of drifting and someone who can spend lots of tires doing it, it immediatly felt natural and all my techniques worked perfectly! The laps and drifts werent perfect but i was able to string together corners on my first try, which resulted in big smiles and enthustiastic remarks by Aris and Marco. Drifting is not easy, especially in a new sim with new physics, but if the physics are like doing it in reallife in which you have some experience, and you use the same tricks in Assetto Corsa and they work, thats telling ALOT about how good the physics are.

Edit:
Quote :Roy Visser on the steering lag issue: You can see this visually too, but you dont notice it when playing. I felt very much in control and could adjust and react as fast as i wanted. Part of the problem is most likely the Monitor, or actually TV. TV's arent ment for high speed gaming at all. The Video delay gets exaggerated by crappy camera's, its far worse on videos then it is in reallife.

I think its a mere fraction slower then in iRacing when playing on a normal monitor, so i geuss that with using a monitor, the difference is identical

Edit 2:
From iR forums (don't know who because i can't go there)
Quote :But soon you will be able to try it all out yourself, the beta should be out really soon, with the Magione track and one car. Aris didnt know which car yet, but was thinking the Lotus Elise. Roughly 1.5months later the Demo should be out, and he hopes the game will be released before the end of the year.

Cameras don't increase the steering lag. That's an old myth that simply is not true.

Personally I hate it when people say "you won't feel it when driving". Maybe I'm more sensitive to it than someone else but for me if there is steering lag I will feel it.
bye lfs
Quote from Hyperactive :Cameras don't increase the steering lag. That's an old myth that simply is not true.

Personally I hate it when people say "you won't feel it when driving". Maybe I'm more sensitive to it than someone else but for me if there is steering lag I will feel it.

if you watch the vid i posted with the F1 car there is almost no steering lag.

actually after watching it again, there is lag but it doesnt look as bad as the other videos.
Really liking the drifting.
Never forget the fact that some TVs have an input lag of 2-4 frames.

That's not the case with most monitors suited for gaming.
NKpro has no serious input-lag problem, so I hope AC won't have one. Also you can reduce the amount of lag by running with higher FPS, disable triple-bufferung and prerendering features of the GPU.

Everything will be fine.
My 24" Monitor at 1920x1080 = smooth
My 30" Monitor at 2560x1600 = very minimal steering lag
My 40" TV at 1920x1080 = noticable steering lag

That's my experience with different equipment. If they are using TVs, then that is most likely where most of the steering lag is coming from.
Quote from PMD9409 :[...] If they are using TVs, then that is most likely where most of the steering lag is coming from.

This. Confirmed by Dave and Me in GT5. When i play with my normal 24" PC monitor it's just like any other game on PC, but on a my 37" TV it's woeful and apparently has been worse at GT Academy even.

Anyway, not really able to make up my mind baout this yet. Will not buy into rumors, must test first to form an opinion.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG